Residents living near Ibrox Stadium object to Rangers bid to change car parking plans

rangeral

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news...-object-rangers-bid-change-car-parking-plans/

RESIDENTS near Ibrox have objected to Rangers' bid to change car parking plans.

The club has asked the council for permission to reduce the number of spaces at the Albion car park from 900 to 450. It says the 450 spaces will be replaced at alternative locations – with 366 identified in a report sent to the council. There is a separate plan – under consideration by the council – to build 160 homes on part of the car park. However, people living near the stadium are concerned about a reduction in spaces.

A process to introduce a parking zone at Ibrox to tackle matchday parking problems has been postponed due to Covid-19. Residents say until that has been completed, the reduction in spaces should not be allowed.

Mary Williamson wrote: “As the ongoing event day parking is on hold, I feel this application should – at the very least – be delayed until the outcome of that is known.”

And Mary Johnston stated match days are a “nightmare for local people”. I cannot understand how this planning application for the substantial reduction of car parking can go through until the findings from the public hearing for the ‘Ibrox Event Controls’ are concluded”, she added.

Rangers have described the parking zone plans as “flawed” and the process is currently delayed until August this year. Back in 1991, the club got permission to increase the capacity of the stadium and entered a legal agreement to provide car parking. They have now asked to change a condition to release part of the Albion car park.

Plans state the council “will modify or discharge the agreement on the occurrence” of the “availability on a permanent basis to Rangers of alternative car parking areas within the vicinity of the stadium”. They add: “Rangers are procuring 450 parking spaces at alternative locations in the vicinity of the stadium.”

Most of the 14 objections have been made by members of Ibrox and Cessnock Community Council.

John McKinstry wrote: “Where are 450 parking spaces to be found? Can they be located on site as per the original consent agreement? Not according to the information supplied with the proposal.”

Kirsty McDowall added: “I understand that they do wish to provide over 300 additional new spaces in the surrounding area under their control however this leaves a large shortfall. This is unacceptable as the area is extremely stretched for capacity currently on non-match days, let alone match days.”

Robin Webster was advised by a council officer, in December last year, that Rangers were in ongoing negotiations with a neighbouring landowner over “provision of around 300 car parking spaces”. That would “redress any shortfall and result in no net loss”, the officer added. But Mr Webster stated while that was “encouraging”, he didn’t believe permission should be granted until “negotiations are satisfactorily completed”.
An extra 40 spaces could be found if a grass verge at the car park is converted, Rangers’ plans state.

And Mary Johnston stated match days are a “nightmare for local people”. I cannot understand how this planning application for the substantial reduction of car parking can go through until the findings from the public hearing for the ‘Ibrox Event Controls’ are concluded”, she added.

I do feel for Mary.

Clearly she bought her property prior to 1899 and could never have envisaged such problems...

I do feel for Mary.

Clearly she bought her property prior to 1899 and could never have envisaged such problems...

Mary is an idiot it seems.

Don't like it gtf out

I do feel for Mary.

Bet she doesn’t even have a motor

RESIDENTS near Ibrox have objected to Rangers' bid to change car parking plans.

The club has asked the council for permission to reduce the number of spaces at the Albion car park from 900 to 450. It says the 450 spaces will be replaced at alternative locations – with 366 identified in a report sent to the council. There is a separate plan – under consideration by the council – to build 160 homes on part of the car park. However, people living near the stadium are concerned about a reduction in spaces.

A process to introduce a parking zone at Ibrox to tackle matchday parking problems has been postponed due to Covid-19. Residents say until that has been completed, the reduction in spaces should not be allowed.

Mary Williamson wrote: “As the ongoing event day parking is on hold, I feel this application should – at the very least – be delayed until the outcome of that is known.”

Rangers have described the parking zone plans as “flawed” and the process is currently delayed until August this year. Back in 1991, the club got permission to increase the capacity of the stadium and entered a legal agreement to provide car parking. They have now asked to change a condition to release part of the Albion car park.

Plans state the council “will modify or discharge the agreement on the occurrence” of the “availability on a permanent basis to Rangers of alternative car parking areas within the vicinity of the stadium”. They add: “Rangers are procuring 450 parking spaces at alternative locations in the vicinity of the stadium.”

Most of the 14 objections have been made by members of Ibrox and Cessnock Community Council.

John McKinstry wrote: “Where are 450 parking spaces to be found? Can they be located on site as per the original consent agreement? Not according to the information supplied with the proposal.”

Kirsty McDowall added: “I understand that they do wish to provide over 300 additional new spaces in the surrounding area under their control however this leaves a large shortfall. This is unacceptable as the area is extremely stretched for capacity currently on non-match days, let alone match days.”

Robin Webster was advised by a council officer, in December last year, that Rangers were in ongoing negotiations with a neighbouring landowner over “provision of around 300 car parking spaces”. That would “redress any shortfall and result in no net loss”, the officer added. But Mr Webster stated while that was “encouraging”, he didn’t believe permission should be granted until “negotiations are satisfactorily completed”.
An extra 40 spaces could be found if a grass verge at the car park is converted, Rangers’ plans state.

Most of the objections coming from the Community Council. You'd have thought they'd be happy to see more affordable housing being built in their area unless they've got more pressing concerns such as thwarting Rangers.

It sounds like this has been coordinated.

Community Councils. Rarely more than a barrier to progress, change and improvements in local areas.

I’ve seen the redevelopment of grey wasteland car parks into attractive communal and park areas kicked in to the long grass for over a decade due to their repeated, self centred objections.

Well thought out proposals for famers markets that would benefit both local consumers and local producers delayed and have deliberately expensive and restrictive conditions put on to protect the business interests of those on the CC.

Local, modern businesses left with cripplingly expensive refurbishment/redecoration costs because some old fart who thinks their town centre should always look exactly the way it did 100 years ago has found an obscure condition buried deep inside a conservation order drawn up decades ago.

Objections to a sandwich bar using up one of the many long term empty retail units because...... the town centre apparently already has too many cafes and lunchtime food takeaway businesses. Said business has now survived well over 5 years but this twat on the CC would’ve happily seen a retail unit lie empty.

Very attractive redevelopment and refurbishment of a previously rarely used and run down harbour into something that would be used much more by both marine traffic and have useful facilities around it for the general public see costs rocket due stupid demand after stupid demand by the local CC. The pointless rejigging and moving of car parking spaces, re-siting the entrance barrier etc etc.

I think that these complainants may have done us a favour by opposing the reduction in spaces.

As I’d said on the previous post which discussed the flats project, bringing hundreds of new people, with no loyalties to our club, into the proximity of the stadium footprint, could have caused us major problems with match day hospitality, events outside football and an increase to our policing and security bill.

Never understood the antipathy of some fans towards people who live near the stadium.

Expecting residents to just endure limitations - and that if they don't like it, they should shut up shop and move - isn't really a conductive attitude to any of the parties involved. If a local resident is saying that match days are a "nightmare", it's the responsibility of the club to listen.

Good. The club shouldn't be getting rid of part of the Albion. We should be expanding our footprint, not reducing it.

100% agree, now just imagine these 160 new homes are built and we are needing planning permission for something in future, that is another 160 people (minimum) that can object to our proposals. The plan to sell part of the Albion is very shortsighted, you don't sell land around your stadium you buy it as soon as it becomes available.

I do feel for Mary.

Exactly, anyone moving to the area has to be aware of what it is like on match days.

I stay close to Hampden and am sick of people complaining about what goes on when big crowds are there.

Never understood the antipathy of some fans towards people who live near the stadium.

Expecting residents to just endure limitations - and that if they don't like it, they should shut up shop and move - isn't really a conductive attitude to any of the parties involved. If a local resident is saying that match days are a "nightmare", it's the responsibility of the club to listen.
Agreed.

Don't buy a property next to a football stadium. The same reason why certain people shouldn't buy a property above a pub. It's not rocket science.

They knew fine well they would be living next to a football stadium when they moved into their new houses/flats.

We may need the cash, that’s why we are selling.
interested to know the landowner who has space for 300 cars.

Don't buy a property next to a football stadium. The same reason why certain people shouldn't buy a property above a pub. It's not rocket science.
They knew fine well they would be living next to a football stadium when they moved into their new houses/flats.

They knew fine well that living next to a football stadium would represent a "nightmare"? I don't think so.

There are to be some limitations expected in living so close to Ibrox, but that doesn't mean that there can't be systems in place that work well for both the residents, the fans and the club.

You don't get to accept lots of things and have it fobbed off as your fault because you live close to a football ground.

I'll give you a wee perspective as my father in law lives right across from the Main Stand behind the Complex.
Mrs Arnie: nae pics- is his carer. His flats have parking for residents only.
Every match day any spaces if empty prior to ko will be taken by Rangers fans. They don't care if a resident will be back soon. They have free parking less than 5 mins walk from the stadium. Resident usually parks at Asda and waits till game over or stays away.
Complaints have been made to Plod who don't care as too much hassle and they prefer taking cars from those parking on the main roads.

So i do see both sides.

p.s. who owns grass area where Hinshelwood Dr houses used to be?

A lot of people round here have lived here all their lives and things have changed, over the time I have lived here the parking issue has got a lot worse.
I don’t agree that it’s a nightmare round here, far from it. You know you need to have your car parked sharpish on a match day.

The behaviour of a very small minority of fans doesn’t help either. Chucking litter in folks gardens and pissing up close doors is a regular occurrence which residents shouldn’t have to put up with.

I'll give you a wee perspective as my father in law lives right across from the Main Stand behind the Complex.
Every match day any spaces if empty prior to ko will be taken by Rangers fans. They don't care if a resident will be back soon. They have free parking less than 5 mins walk from the stadium. Resident usually parks at Asda and waits till game over or stays away.
Complaints have been made to Plod who don't care as too much hassle and they prefer taking cars from those parking on the main roads.

So i do see both sides.

It’s still the council and is still zoned for housing to be rebuilt

They knew fine well that living next to a football stadium would represent a "nightmare"? I don't think so.

There are to be some limitations expected in living so close to Ibrox, but that doesn't mean that there can't be systems in place that work well for both the residents, the fans and the club.

You don't get to accept lots of things and have it fobbed off as your fault because you live close to a football ground.

Mary is saying it is a nightmare because she is giving information to the council and is giving it “Mega-NIMBY” because it affects her day to day living and parking and driving convenience.

i.e it’s a nightmare to sit in traffic for 70-90 minutes to get along PRW when you’ve only nipped out to Braehead for a pair of trousers. I don’t doubt it is.

Similarly though I don’t doubt the exact same property she lives in would be a little more expensive were it not in the environs and parking surroundings of a football stadium.

It’s a bit like saying it’s a nightmare to get to sleep when you’re just off a nightshift when you get back to your flat just above Cessnock underground. You’ve got to factor that into your decision making I’m afraid. It’s not SPTs fault is it?

To say it’s somehow the clubs responsibility to engage with some dim-wittedness and obvious exaggeration is just ridiculous.

So i do see both sides.

The BBC?

100% agree, now just imagine these 160 new homes are built and we are needing planning permission for something in future, that is another 160 people (minimum) that can object to our proposals. The plan to sell part of the Albion is very shortsighted, you don't sell land around your stadium you buy it as soon as it becomes available.
Spot on!

I certainly don’t see the sense in reducing the capacity of the car park.

I still hold some hope of there being a train station again one day. If that’s the case, we could potentially make our car park available for park and ride during the week to bring in some income.

I’d really like to know the clubs logic in considering selling this land, as I am struggling to see the long term benefits.

The stadium has been holding events with over 50000 people for over a hundred years . Don’t move in the area for the last 5 and think you should be able to change it. Why are Rangers selling carpark area when we should be trying to increase.

Mary is saying it is a nightmare because she is giving information to the council and is giving it “Mega-NIMBY” because it affects her day to day living and parking and driving convenience.

i.e it’s a nightmare to sit in traffic for 70-90 minutes to get along PRW when you’ve only nipped out to Braehead for a pair of trousers. I don’t doubt it is.

Similarly though I don’t doubt the exact same property she lives in would be a little more expensive were it not in the environs and parking surroundings of a football stadium.

It’s a bit like saying it’s a nightmare to get to sleep when you’re just off a nightshift when you get back to your flat just above Cessnock underground. You’ve got to factor that into your decision making I’m afraid. It’s not SPTs fault is it?

To say it’s somehow the clubs responsibility to engage with some dim-wittedness and obvious exaggeration is just ridiculous.

Living next to a stadium brings with it a number of legitimate and less legitimate concerns.

Having to navigate large crowds, queues for public transport, public noise, blocked roads - these are all natural by-products of living close to a football stadium.

These are also not what the residents are objecting to.

Resident only parking being taken by fans and a general lack of parking spaces - which affects everyone - are the concerns that are coming out of this. These are more than legitimate, and, since it affects a good chunk of the Rangers support who travel to Ibrox by car, the club need to listen, and I'm sure they will.

The council should do what they did with Parkhead.

Pap all the residents out of the surrounding area, raze the houses to the ground and flog the empty land to Rangers for a quid.

No residents to complain about anything and the club are happy to do whatever they want.

I do feel for Mary.

Exactly this, some of the complaints about Edmiston House were hilarious, like people never consider that a 50k capacity stadium on their doorstep might occasionally attract crowds

A lot of people round here have lived here all their lives and things have changed, over the time I have lived here the parking issue has got a lot worse.
I don’t agree that it’s a nightmare round here, far from it. You know you need to have your car parked sharpish on a match day.

The behaviour of a very small minority of fans doesn’t help either. Chucking litter in folks gardens and pissing up close doors is a regular occurrence which residents shouldn’t have to put up with.
I lived in Copland road for forty years and experienced that most of the time, so to state that people buying property near a football stadium should just shut up and get on with it is shit.
As stated above pissing on close doors and chucking litter in gardens is out of order, some of our fans don't do themselves any favours, not all of the residents of Ibrox are Rangers haters.

Any way the club could acquire it instead?
For what purpose? There is a big need for more decent housing in the area for local people. I very much doubt it would be sold to make a walkway. If it was land on the stadium footprint I would agree with you.

Mary reminds me of the city dwellers who retire to country villages then complain about the noise in the village pub and the bells in the village church. Mary Johnston? More like Mary Whitehouse.

For what purpose? There is a big need for more decent housing in the area for local people. I very much doubt it would be sold to make a walkway. If it was land on the stadium footprint I would agree with you.
If edmiston house is successful you could develop more for the matchday experience. Could build a hotel. Rangers have obviously got money for selling the land and are presumably using it to reinvest elsewhere but I hope that is for long term projects that sustain income. We don’t have any obligation to provide housing for local people other than to make money from doing it.

I’m sure the locals have legitimate complaints but there must be solutions. We could provide private parking lockable bollards, or let locals use the car park free of charge during the week or reserve some places in the Albion for them on a matchday or a mix of proposals.

Back