Next step for Nathan Patterson?

Mezzala

With Tav signing until 2024, he has essentially committed to ending his career at Rangers if he isn't sold this summer.

Patterson is already too good to be wasted sitting on the bench most weeks, we would be harming his development and potentially lowering his ceiling if that ended up being the case.

I really think we should be looking at putting him out on loan for a season if Tav is still here in the summer. If Tav is sold, I think we should commit to having Patterson as our primary option. I fully believe that he has to potential to grow into the better fullback.

Disagree, not all players need to go on loan.

Some need to stay and learn from their predecessor, it’s a squad game and Patterson is a valued part of the squad.

I suspect he will get more league games next season following European clashes or whatever, but he knows his role in the squad and that currently he is back up.

Putting him on loan means we essentially need to sign a stop gap player, pay another wage and for someone who likely isn’t as good.

I personally feel that in 2024, when Patterson is 22/23 and has learned from Tav, he will be ready to take over for many years.

If we put him out on loan it means we have to buy another right back so I can't see him going on loan at all.

He will just have to push for his slot and if he is as good as we believe then he will get plenty gametime.

I think he is fine to have another 2 seasons where he plays 15-20 games. Training everyday with first team and playing cups and league games is enough to keep him going.
Would doubt we would loan him out with nobody to fill in that position.

He looks a prospect but miles of Tav level just now

I’d keep him here but give him a lot more game time in the cups and against weaker teams in the league.

I feel he’d still develop more here with our coaching team and where our fullbacks play a very attacking role, than being on loan at an Aberdeen or Hibs under some dinosaur telling him to launch aimless balls down the channels.

No extra steps are needed, hes getting some game time, appearances in europe ect and will probably feature even more next season now that he can be trusted to give tav a rest alot more.

Hes coming along nicely.

A call upto Scotland would do him the world of good too.

If we don’t loan him out there needs to a lot more rotation of Tav.

15/20 mins as a sub won’t develop him. He needs to be starting 15-20 games at the very, very least.

Nathan stays for me.

Whenever we don't have Tav or Borna available to us the team become lop sided and pretty vulnerable down either side.

Patterson offers a like for like replacement for Tav. There's no garantees Tav stays fit for a whole season and it would be very hard to find a like for like replacement on loan.

With Tav signing until 2024, he has essentially committed to ending his career at Rangers if he isn't sold this summer.

Patterson is already too good to be wasted sitting on the bench most weeks, we would be harming his development and potentially lowering his ceiling if that ended up being the case.

I really think we should be looking at putting him out on loan for a season if Tav is still here in the summer. If Tav is sold, I think we should commit to having Patterson as our primary option. I fully believe that he has to potential to grow into the better fullback.
Not at all fight for his place alongside Tav. Learn from Tav and get some of the best coaching around from SG and his staff. He will get plenty of games next season two very good full backs pushing each other the way it should be.

When flanagan came in i didnt expect him to get much game time due to tavs fitness but he managed to get a decent number fair enough he was used as an emergency LB at times but we can play up to 60 games a season so we defo need to keep him at us

It's up to Patterson to prove he's better than Tavernier if he wants to be first choice RB.

With the number of games we play each season and hopefully going further in European competition we will need depth and quality - Patterson provides that.

He's currently the understudy to arguably the best right back the club has had this century.
That will do him more good than going out on loan in my opinion.
Id also expect to see an increase in his game time, with Tav perhaps being rested after Euro games.
We have the two best right backs in Scotland at our club. Enjoy it

He won't go on loan because he knows he's still a good way off Tav's overall level and wants to keep developing at Ibrox and learning from him, until he becomes good enough to be 1st choice.

His game time will increase next season.

Remember he's only 19.

He’s came in and shown he can perform on big stages. He’ll see a lot more game time next year and we need 2 strong options in every position with the amount of games we play in a season, so no chance of him being loaned out

Balogun isn't a viable option at RB at all mate.

If Patterson is loaned out then we should be signing another young fullback to have a similar amount of appearances to bed in and be loaned out the following year.

We need to make a conscious effort to make game time for him next season. That means bringing tav off if we’re up comfortable with 20/30 to go, offloading Tav after European games and trusting him even if it’s away to some ‘tricky’ grounds in the league. This will probably elongate Tav’s peak as well, because the last two seasons are the first I can remember him missing any period of time through injury (albeit one I think was appendicitis).

I’m not entirely against sending him on loan as I think the most important point at this juncture is that he plays games whether that’s at us or elsewhere. We do play 60 odd games a season though, and if Patterson plays in 20/30 of them I think that’s a number we can be satisfied with.

He won't go on loan because he knows he's still a good way off Tav's overall level and wants to keep developing at Ibrox and learning from him, until he becomes good enough to be 1st choice.

His game time will increase next season.

Remember he's only 19.
Him only being 19 is a big part of why I think he needs as much game time as possible.

He is already the best option for the national team, I realise it's a completely different position and skillset but we have a Ferguson level prospect here, his development is vital.

Balogun isn't a viable option at RB at all mate.

If Patterson is loaned out then we should be signing another young fullback to have a similar amount of appearances to bed in and be loaned out the following year.
He's already been used there. We're not talking a long-term replacement for Tav but a stop-gap.

He'd not be my first pick but in terms of a back up, we've used him there this season already so it's hardly a leap to suggest he could be used there next season.
In a crisis perhaps. You've just suggested he could be our back up

We need him as back up, Tav's latest injury proves as much.

Patterson will get his fair share of games going forward and with Tav ageing he wont be playing 60 games every year until his deal expires.

Once Patterson takes over as 1st pick at the age of 21 / 22 or so he'll have 10+ years left at a good level.

He stay and we will have 2 top class rb.

With 3 domestic comps and europe to compete in, he will get more and more game time over the next 2 seasons. Tav will get more rest and be in top shape all season. For me its win win to have them both.

The next step for Patterson is to get the head down and out train everyone in the squad every day. Make it impossible for the manager not to pick him because, if he is the best option, then he will play.

Think back to the Gerrard punditry on BT Sports from before he joined. Patterson has to be obsessed with moving people out the way and when they are out the way, they aren't coming back.

Huge test to see if he has the correct minerals to play for Rangers and can only benefit the club, him and the others as standards get pushed up.

I really don't understand this obsession with Patterson going on loan or suffering because Tav has signed a new deal. We need 2 players for each position and we have 2 good RB's. Patterson will play more next season than next then more again the next year. He's 19 years old, he doesn't need to play each week. We have probably 60 games to play next year, I'd guess Patterson will play 20 of them. It's all part of his development. Look at Foden as an example.

And he's been poor, a club the size of Rangers shouldn't rely on stop-gaps either
He's played a handful of games there, everybody was raving about him after one then he struggled in a couple. If Patterson is going to go out and play regularly, which he needs, we're not going to lure a quality RB here to sit on their arse for a season as backup to Tav.

Him only being 19 is a big part of why I think he needs as much game time as possible.

He is already the best option for the national team, I realise it's a completely different position and skillset but we have a Ferguson level prospect here, his development is vital.
I get your point mate, but here’s an a example.

Foden - never went out on loan, learned from Silva, Pep et al and now look at him.

In a crisis perhaps. You've just suggested he could be our back up
How often we needed the back up over the last six years because Tav has been unavailable? We've also got Jack who (if we can keep him fit) can slot in there comfortably.

I get your point mate, but here’s an a example.

Foden - never went out on loan, learned from Silva, Pep et al and now look at him.
Foden was actually given fairly regular game time at City. If we were giving Patterson those sort of minutes it would be fine, but I don't think we will be when Tav is fit.

How often we needed the back up over the last six years because Tav has been unavailable? We've also got Jack who (if we can keep him fit) can slot in there comfortably.
Tav has missed at least a full month for the past 2 seasons now tbf

The same Jack who's regularly injured? How many times you watched Jack at right back?

If Tav gets injured like he currently is and misses big games, I do not want Balogun or Jack as you've suggested playing right back in an old firm, or away to Hibs, Aberdeen etc.

Patterson will stay and rightly so.

Foden was actually given fairly regular game time at City. If we were giving Patterson those sort of minutes it would be fine, but I don't think we will be when Tav is fit.
I think Patterson will comfortably play 10-15 games next season to be honest.

Patterson is just starting his career, tav has been a machine but he will start picking up injuries and we have someone able to fill in. Patterson is in the best place and who knows tav could have a loss of form and it's then up to Patterson to take his place

He comes in for preseason and performs everyday in training showing the manager he wants Tavs starting slot.

He wants to stay and develop at Ibrox mate.

Apart from being Rangers daft, him and his family are happy with how he's being developed and improving at Ibrox under Gerrard, Tav and the coaching staff.

He's not getting rushed and you'll see him getting more and more game time.

Patterson (and Bassey) are our future, but they're still developing.

We need to remember he is only 19 and playing more because Tavernier is currently injured.

He has proved he can step in and play and will be trusted to play when Tav is either tired/injured or we are playing against a weaker team at home.

He has many years to develop into the player we think he is capable of becoming.

A decent parallel is Mount being miles away from Foden, getting lots of minutes and now having an equally exciting future.
Correct, which is why I said not every player has to go out on loan to develop - Foden is two years younger than Mount.

Putting Patterson out on loan would be a waste IMO, don’t think he’d want to go out on loan anyway.

He should still be playing 10-15 games next season with us, I really can’t see this even being considered by Gerrard.

It would mean getting in a stop gap, when he got rid of two in order to show Patterson that was he was Tav’s deputy.

The same Jack who's regularly injured? How many times you watched Jack at right back?

If Tav gets injured like he currently is and misses big games, I do not want Balogun or Jack as you've suggested playing right back in an old firm, or away to Hibs, Aberdeen etc.

Patterson will stay and rightly so.
Seen Jack at RB plenty tbh. He played there regularly for Aberdeen when first coming through and made his Scotland debut there

Balogun, or Jack, playing at RB completely changes the dynamic of our shape and tactics in a game. Patterson is the only one who can get close to performing Taverniers role up and down the right, that is why he will not be going anywhere because Gerrard and Beale are not going to change their core philosophy of 2 high playing full backs and 2 midfielders dropping in to cover.

Back