Football and herd immunity

Corkinator

Just reading that the uk will reach herd immunity by Monday 12th April, next week. Primarily due to the uptake of the “vacinne”.
Couple of things, this means nothing realistically should stay closed, at all. If things do remain closed it’s for political reasons.
Makes me think there may be some fans at the presentation too. No reason for them not to be. Let’s hope so.

I totally follow your logic. Really hope you’re right about things opening up and fans being in for trophy day.

They won't let say 5k in as the result will be 10k (minimum) turning up again just to be at the stadium on the day. Not saying it won't happen anyway, or that we won't be allowed, but I can't see anyone being allowed in to avoid any potential grief by the Natsis and their police.

Not anti lockdown or anything, but no excuse for things like retail and outdoor sporting events to already be happening. The R rate has fallen below one and everyone at risk of death has been vaccinated more or less, this nanny state needs to stop now.

Just reading that the uk will reach herd immunity by Monday 12th April, next week. Primarily due to the uptake of the “vacinne”.
Couple of things, this means nothing realistically should stay closed, at all. If things do remain closed it’s for political reasons.
Makes me think there may be some fans at the presentation too. No reason for them not to be. Let’s hope so.

Except it won't be anywhere near herd immunity by then. What was the source of this claim?

Herd immunity is a myth with this virus it just doesn't exist due to its ability to mutate frequently.

Why did you put vaccine in quotes?

Anyway the UCL guys figures are not backed by many ( his methods have been questioned previously, as the model consistently uses best case scenarios). Hancock has already said we will be continuing on the path we are on at the moment.

You're point stands about opening as normal when herd immunity is reached. Sadly, those who decide when that immunity level is sufficient don't seem to want to budge at UCL estimate of 74%.

Herd immunity is a myth with this virus it just doesn't exist due to its ability to mutate frequently.
Oddly I heard a discussion on the radio the other day when that very point came up. Herd immunity was described as an early and misguided target at at time when we didn't know enough. The subsequent revelation that more virulent mutations were spreading more quickly rendered it a redundant policy. Debate on that is probably more appropriate in The Lounge but I think the concept of herd immunity, at least officially, is now a thing of the past.

All flu virus mutate, why do you think think they don’t work and need done yearly? Tgey only protect against 3 strains of the flu in that period.

Also, Herd Immunity varies by disease for instance measles requires 95% vaccination in a population. For Polio it's 80% (Source: WHO)

The level for COVID is still up in the air a bit due to the mutations.

Back