Davis Replacement

burgh blue

watching fulham v wolves, wee guy in mid for fulham - harrison reed
very tidy in possession,good energy and vision,excellent reader of game
have watched him several times have always been impressed
thoughts ?

WATP

Was cracking in champ manager a few years ago and is a very decent player, but he’s not as good at play making.

I suspect he’s out our budget anyway.

I wouldn’t be rushing to replace Davis as he’s been my player of year & Michael Beale says he may be one of the oldest in the squads but his legs are the youngest...:)

If we got through the CL qualifier I would move for Billy Gilmour on loan...he’s not had a look in for Chelsea. He would be a great player to have to rotate Davis with next season.

watching fulham v wolves, wee guy in mid for fulham - harrison reed
very tidy in possession,good energy and vision,excellent reader of game
have watched him several times have always been impressed
thoughts ?

WATP
Harrison Reed is a brilliant player who would be a revelation up here. Doubt he'd be available (although maybe if Fulham go down which looks likely) but if we could get him for £10M it would be well worth finding the cash. I think Barisic will be in demand after the Euros and I think we will get £20M for him so the cash might be there,

If we could replace Davis for 10 million and not see a drop in quality it would be a masterstroke.

No doubt the Midfield needs refreshed over the next couple of windows. Doing it on our budget and trying to upgrade to CL quality is going to be some challenge!

nope, john fleck is the answer

after watching him against Leeds i'd say no he isn't

I think Fleck very well could be. I didn't see the game against Leeds, but he's played a lot of good football in the EPL. Would be interested to know if we're after him and whether we could afford him. I'm sure he'd love to come back and play in the CL or EL.
I think Lundstram would do a job for us too, but I'll trust our management team know better than I do!

Dare I say it but I think our midfield needs pushed up 5-10 yards? We could do with maybe a more attacking midfielder? I know he signed for them, but somebody in the turnbull role?

Definitely won't be shopping in EPL and paying over inflated prices. The Croatian, Czech, Belgium markets along with a few others are our routes to unearthing talent for a relatively low outlay which can then be sold on at a profit.

Definitely won't be shopping in EPL and paying over inflated prices. The Croatian, Czech, Belgium markets along with a few others are our routes to unearthing talent for a relatively low outlay which can then be sold on at a profit.

There definitely markets we can find talent. Finding a replacement for Davis isn't going to be easy, but the quicker we can bring his replacement in, the quicker we can get the player settled and start to ease him into the structure.

Harrison Reed is a brilliant player who would be a revelation up here. Doubt he'd be available (although maybe if Fulham go down which looks likely) but if we could get him for £10M it would be well worth finding the cash. I think Barisic will be in demand after the Euros and I think we will get £20M for him so the cash might be there,
He's well out of our pay structure and working ethos of the club

He'll be 30 at the start of next season, so he isn't really our business model sort of player, unless he's on a Bosman (don't know his contract details.)

Bit of a downgrade on Davis though tbh.

I'd be suprised.
Agree with that

Even on a Bosman his wages would be massive for no return in the future

Fulham paid Southampton £8m so there’s no way he’s going for 10M.

Dare I say it but I think our midfield needs pushed up 5-10 yards? We could do with maybe a more attacking midfielder? I know he signed for them, but somebody in the turnbull role?

What you mean someone who is a complete passenger when the opposition have the ball, blows out his arse after 30 minutes and rarely lasts longer than an hour?

If you would prefer our midfield to be more like their's, I'm worried for you.

Someone who doesn’t do that much and lasts for 60 mins?

I think Fleck very well could be. I didn't see the game against Leeds, but he's played a lot of good football in the EPL. Would be interested to know if we're after him and whether we could afford him. I'm sure he'd love to come back and play in the CL or EL.
I think Lundstram would do a job for us too, but I'll trust our management team know better than I do!
That’s the bottom line.

I think Fleck could be a good fit for us. He’s strong, comfortable on the ball, has a good range of passing, knows the club well and has played at a high level. The issue will be the fee (he’s still under contract at Sheffield United for another couple of years I think) and his wages.

All of that is academic however if Gerrard and Wilson feel there are better options elsewhere.

Looked it up for you.

The Turnbull role - "The function of being a 4 week messiah. A job function/title often bestowed upon unfortunates in the last period of a failing venture.
Don’t forget the ability to last for 80 minutes.

If we could replace Davis for 10 million and not see a drop in quality it would be a masterstroke.

No doubt the Midfield needs refreshed over the next couple of windows. Doing it on our budget and trying to upgrade to CL quality is going to be some challenge!
This is massively over the top.

Dorsch was available for €3m last summer and would have been an upgrade, there is good value out there.

If I was picking a player from down south to replace Davis it would be Will Hughes at Watford all day long I don't know if he'd be out our price range or not though but he's a cracking player who could take our midfield to the next level

In the Turnbull role? WTF he’s been half decent in a utter shite team? Now he theres a role named after him? FS

If I was picking a player from down south to replace Davis it would be Will Hughes at Watford all day long I don't know if he'd be out our price range or not though but he's a cracking player who could take our midfield to the next level
English players that are going to be good enough are outwith our budget unless they're out of contract

Billy Gilmour on a season long loan would be worth the wages and loan fee provided it's not ridiculous.
Next summer would leave him with a year left on his contract where Chelsea will probably look to sell,but I doubt we'd be able to afford him permanently.

I appreciate it pretty much goes against our model but exceptions for the right player might still be on the table.
I remember the chat of us scoffing at Chelsea wanting a 2 million loan fee for a certain Tammy Abraham and opting to sign Joe Garner permanently instead.

That changed my mind on the validity of loans if it's for the right quality of player.

Sure we have the ready replacement, Hagi.
Can see SG giving him more and more game time in the Davis role. We have a full season to work on him.

Billy Gilmour on a season long loan would be worth the wages and loan fee provided it's not ridiculous.
Next summer would leave him with a year left on his contract where Chelsea will probably look to sell,but I doubt we'd be able to afford him permanently.

I appreciate it pretty much goes against our model but exceptions for the right player might still be on the table.
I remember the chat of us scoffing at Chelsea wanting a 2 million loan fee for a certain Tammy Abraham and opting to sign Joe Garner permanently instead.

That changed my mind on the validity of loans if it's for the right quality of player.
Billy Gilmour doesn't play as a number 6.

Probably, but his uncle and my old man are mates. B-D
My old man & myself go back years with the Flecks.
My family and the Flecks were originally from the Cowcaddens area, during the war the auld fella & Albert Fleck " acquired " a bottle of rum in Iceland, & it got my old man in a bit of bother with the Navy
When I started my apprenticeship one of the first journeymen I came across was another mate of my dads also a Fleck although he married someone from the dark side & they brought their son up in the RC cult he also worked alongside myself & despite being a Tim he was a great laugh, & by this time they were staying in Possil.
The older Flecks were Thistle fans

My old man & myself go back years with the Flecks.
My family and the Flecks were originally from the Cowcaddens area, during the war the auld fella & Albert Fleck " acquired " a bottle of rum in Iceland, & it got my old man in a bit of bother with the Navy
When I started my apprenticeship one of the first journeymen I came across was another mate of my dads also a Fleck although he married someone from the dark side & they brought their son up in the RC cult he also worked alongside myself & despite being a Tim he was a great laugh, & by this time they were staying in Possil.
The older Flecks were Thistle fans

This one came from Possil originally I think, but he's a Gers season ticket holder.

Billy Gilmour doesn't play as a number 6.
He plays a lot deeper than he used to, he is now basically a 6, and plays a similar role to Davis in taking the ball in deep positions and moving it forward.
That's certainly where his limited first team football had been.
When I used to watch him in their academy he played more like an 8.
Either way, he isn't coming to us, and will be playing in the EPL next season.

This one came from Possil originally I think, but he's a Gers season ticket holder.
Oh yeh as far as I knew it was only old Jimmy whose family were brought up RC,s
Mind you his boy Joe would have done the same with his family
Ironically Joe,s closest friend was a relative of Dingy Hamilton.
Never seen or heard of them for years

Back