Glentoran

New statement out. Recognise depth of feeling blah blah blah, minutes silence on Tuesday night v Coleraine and also Friday night at Coleraine.

Horse and stable door springs to mind...
Saw that, someone needs to step away from the keyboard. Utter shambles.

I’m a Glenman and I don’t know anyone who supports yesterday’s foolish decision. Another thread on this was chopped but I said there that East Belfast was hit hard by the Nazis and the Oval had a bomb dropped on it. The Duke served his country against Hitler and deserves our respect. Also the fans have no say over transfer policy so the comments about the Republicans in the squad and the convicted paedo can’t be blamed on us. Should we walk away because the current regime aren’t fit for purpose? Should we boo players because we don’t like their politics? Should we insist that only staunch and true players can play for the Glens or indeed Rangers? I have two teams, the Glens and Rangers. I hope both will be there long after boardroom regimes come and go. Finally as a proud East Belfast man I say, may her majesty know God’s comfort as she mourns her husband. She is loved in the East and we remember her.
Great words.

Not sure Scottish “prods” can take any high ground here.
We’ve been soft for nearly sixty years.
I think he was poking a bit of fun, but you're right. Add in to that taking the eye off the political ball has not helped. Catholics dominating the Labour party now for decades. The new Labour leader may not be Catholic but he isn't Protestant either and if you're not in power, you're not going to wield power. I don't know where the tipping point is, but the way things are going, people of Unionist and Loyalist persuasion and background, could be a very small voice in Scotland within the next decade. And that's very bad news for Scotland as the quality of politician coming in these days lacks the intelligence, education and foresight that we used to see in Scotland.

Been to the Oval and Windsor a few times for games. Always enjoyed the Oval a bit more.

Glad to see sense finally with silence on Tuesday but its only happening as the good people who follow the Glens haven't taken this lying down and good on them.

The question must now be asked, why wasn't there a silence? Seeing many saying its because McLean refused to play if they did and 5 others backed him. In that case 6 players should be gone for refusing to work.

Off topic, but look up Glentoran Nike Training Top, green and white 'flashes' which effectively look like green and white hoops.
I know green is one of their colours but even my Glens fan mates are disgusted with that, not to mention the way their club is being run.

A lot of Liverpool fans in general are mongs. Scouse not English, Trent dropped from England upsets them though. Another fan base with a chip in there shoulder who conveniently forget the Italian fans they killed. I used to like Liverpool but starting to do my head in & im hungover so want to moan
Probably not fashionable on here with Gerrard etc. But I've always thought of them as insufferable coonts.

The question must now be asked, why wasn't there a silence? Seeing many saying its because McLean refused to play if they did and 5 others backed him. In that case 6 players should be gone for refusing to work.

I'm a Glenman and I'd love to know this too.

You'd imagine the referee arrived fully expecting to facilitate a minutes silence before kick off like his colleagues across the country so did someone at the club specifically tell him not to have one???

Pretty shocking if that's what happened.

Off topic, but look up Glentoran Nike Training Top, green and white 'flashes' which effectively look like green and white hoops.
I know green is one of their colours but even my Glens fan mates are disgusted with that, not to mention the way their club is being run.
We are with Umbro, never been with Nike.

Still, yesterday was a disgrace. Not the clubs fault but a few spineless feckers in charge.

Glentoran are an institution in East Belfast but have lost their identity and sold their soul to an Iranian for a few pieces of silver. They have a manager who can't keep quiet and who usually can be relied upon to spout nonsense. They are now supposedly a full time club and have enough players to field 3 teams. They should be bossing the league and aren't, those great days with true Glen men playing for the club they love are gone. Once the owner tires of his little project it will be difficult to see who else will want to take it on. I can see a large Tesco being built on the Oval when he sells up. Their lack of respect for the death of the Duke of Edinburgh comes as no surprise.
After yesterday,the sooner the better.
A disgrace and an affront to the people of East Belfast.

Used to have a soft spot for the Glens but never been comfortable with some of the hatred between them and Linfield when there’s a common enemy for both sides. singing songs against Linfield managers David Jeffrey a good Orangeman and David Healy a Northern Ireland legend, both men of good stock. Ok there’s rivalry but some of it is a bit OTT. Also always had respect for Linfield especially since they helped us in our own time of need. Certainly wouldn’t set foot in the oval again after yesterday’s disgraceful lack of respect and with the direction the club has been going with some recent signings.

Nobody says moral high ground or anything about Scotland, your making things up.
Touché, mon ami.
I didn’t mention “moral” either.
You asked a a question, my answer was simple. Scots couldn’t be critical on this one.
Where I may have went wrong was thinking you were a Scot.

A lot of Liverpool fans in general are mongs. Scouse not English, Trent dropped from England upsets them though. Another fan base with a chip in there shoulder who conveniently forget the Italian fans they killed. I used to like Liverpool but starting to do my head in & im hungover so want to moan
Wtf does any of this have to do with the topic of the thread though you zoomer?

I’m a Glenman and I don’t know anyone who supports yesterday’s foolish decision. Another thread on this was chopped but I said there that East Belfast was hit hard by the Nazis and the Oval had a bomb dropped on it. The Duke served his country against Hitler and deserves our respect. Also the fans have no say over transfer policy so the comments about the Republicans in the squad and the convicted paedo can’t be blamed on us. Should we walk away because the current regime aren’t fit for purpose? Should we boo players because we don’t like their politics? Should we insist that only staunch and true players can play for the Glens or indeed Rangers? I have two teams, the Glens and Rangers. I hope both will be there long after boardroom regimes come and go. Finally as a proud East Belfast man I say, may her majesty know God’s comfort as she mourns her husband. She is loved in the East and we remember her.
Not questioning the support at all mate,great club with great traditions .The custonians have it all to answer for. Should you boo players . In mc cleans case he seems to keep his views to himself ,unlike his sewer rat of a brother and there are mixed playing staff at all clubs without any hassle .Only when they open their gubs do they deserve to be slated as happened with mc gonigle at Coleraine .
Sticking up photo on social media with another person with the comment ,"dungivens top ira man " does not endear you to the Coleraine support and he got all the stick he deserved .Not on that stuff myself but no reason to believe the story was invented .Surprised the Crus support didn't question it more tbh but then they don't really have a big following
On the peado,he deserves all the crap that can be aimed his way .tried ,convicted,jail sentence,contract with the glens :oops: i suspect the initial loan arrangment with DC was quickly scapped so that he could be eased into the club when no fans were present .prob felt he'd be safe playing out an inital loan with them in west belfast where that behaviour is the norm.i'm pretty sure the opposition fans will not be slow in giving it to him once we get back into the games
But as you say ,out of the hands of the fans and the club will be there long after the present board are gone .

The everyone anyone approach at Glentoran gave the tims an inch and they've taken a mile. The rumour on twitter is that five tims including mclean refused to play if they had to observe the silence. We must always maintain the whip hand.

I would like to think the story about the players refusing to play is another Whatsapp piece of nonsense, because if it’s not that’s a total disgrace and they need chased ASAP.

I’ve been a Linfield supporter all my life and obviously don’t have any time at all for the Glens. To me they are still the big rivals.

In saying that I’ve grudgingly admired the community that kept them alive as a club during bad times.

To me the club and whomever is making the decisions have let that community down big time.

The club should be ashamed of themselves.

As a season ticket at oval this is now going to far. Players can’t. Stand. For 1 min. Was bad enough on remembrance day. Now this. Players. Run club. By. The. Looks it it’s awful.

I'll not have any cheap shots at the Glentoran supporters as I know many who are good friends and loyalists and who are quite rightly disgusted at this lack of respect shown to HRH Prince Philip and other things that are happening at the club.
As a Blueman i expect the rivalry between both clubs to be what it is,no holds barred dislike or hatred for each other.
But the new owner and the behaviour of their manger and some of their recent signing should have alarm bells ringing over in the east.
This latest unsavoury incident at the oval certainly doesn't look good for the Club and certainly leaves a very sour taste in the mouth for the good staunch folk in the east.
Oh and before I forget FTG:));):shh:

The old Linfield chant about the Glens having a chapel on the Newtownards road which was used to wind up the Glenmen might be true now.

McDermott calls all the shots at Glentoran and nobody at the club has the balls to challenge him. He just happens to be the team manager aswell and is a total walloper who is dragging the club down a dangerous path away from it's traditional support base.

Well said mate . I have a lot of relatives over the water in East Belfast,and have attended the Glens club for a couple of family functions.
I’m a Glenman and I don’t know anyone who supports yesterday’s foolish decision. Another thread on this was chopped but I said there that East Belfast was hit hard by the Nazis and the Oval had a bomb dropped on it. The Duke served his country against Hitler and deserves our respect. Also the fans have no say over transfer policy so the comments about the Republicans in the squad and the convicted paedo can’t be blamed on us. Should we walk away because the current regime aren’t fit for purpose? Should we boo players because we don’t like their politics? Should we insist that only staunch and true players can play for the Glens or indeed Rangers? I have two teams, the Glens and Rangers. I hope both will be there long after boardroom regimes come and go. Finally as a proud East Belfast man I say, may her majesty know God’s comfort as she mourns her husband. She is loved in the East and we remember her

The everyone anyone approach at Glentoran gave the tims an inch and they've taken a mile. The rumour on twitter is that five tims including mclean refused to play if they had to observe the silence. We must always maintain the whip hand.
If that is true, and it has been denied by the club, then the answer is simple. Go ahead with the mark of respect, and those who refuse to stand for a war hero can stand in the tunnel. Prince Phillip fought for people to have the freedom to choose.

At least we would know where they stand and can let the club know exactly how we feel about them.

It angers me that the people who run my club decided not to hold the minutes silence, therefore depriving the (other) players, opposition and officials the opportunity to show their respect.

They are cowards and totally out of touch with the fan base and I am proud that the reaction of the fans and Pete Batey.

Their decision to belatedly hold a minutes silence may be too late to repair the damage done to the club’s reputation but this about more that that.

The Nazis bombed the Oval during the blitz whilst Prince Philip joined the war against them. Anyone who doesn’t understand the significance of this can return to where they came from.

If that is true, and it has been denied by the club, then the answer is simple. Go ahead with the mark of respect, and those who refuse to stand for a war hero can stand in the tunnel. Prince Phillip fought for people to have the freedom to choose.

At least we would know where they stand and can let the club know exactly how we feel about them.

It angers me that the people who run my club decided not to hold the minutes silence, therefore depriving the (other) players, opposition and officials the opportunity to show their respect.

They are cowards and totally out of touch with the fan base and I am proud that the reaction of the fans and Pete Batey.

Their decision to belatedly hold a minutes silence may be too late to repair the damage done to the club’s reputation but this about more that that.

The Nazis bombed the Oval during the blitz whilst Prince Philip joined the war against them. Anyone who doesn’t understand the significance of this can return to where they came from.
If it’s true about the players vote then we’ll see their true colours in the days to come. How bitter do you need to be to refuse to honour a 99 year old hero?

I have a soft spot for Glentoran, so I like to separate the club from the temporary people who disgrace its name.

It wasn't so long ago that the people running our club were dragging us into the mud with their disgraceful decisions.

Back