Ashley to close NUFC retail store. Castore entering fold

Homelander

Exclusive: Mike Ashley to close NUFC retail store & make all staff redundant, informing them club’s proposed new owners do not wish to keep them (Saudi deal still subject to arbitration). Castore set to be new kit supplier & will stock refurbished store. https://t.co/iFbvuGsQYv

Exclusive: Mike Ashley to close NUFC retail store & make all staff redundant, informing them club’s proposed new owners do not wish to keep them (Saudi deal still subject to arbitration). Castore set to be new kit supplier & will stock refurbished store. https://t.co/iFbvuGsQYv
Would be a surprise if that's true he's usually desperate to keep his fingers in the retail pie

Last edited:
He's selling the club?

Is he though? He’s been ‘selling’ the club for years.

Nothing about this makes sense with what we know about Ashley and his motivations.

Its all about sports direct, it’s all about selling kits and we are expected to believe that’s he’s now happy to close the store and have another company run it for him?! I’m not having that for one minute.

Hmm it makes me very suspicious hearing things like this. Despite no obvious link, I still feel uneasy hearing about SD, Ashley and Castore in the same breath.
Agree mate, many will bury there head in the sand and dismiss this as nothing. Castore have been pretty poor already in terms of quality, stock and no customer service. Add in any involvement with thr fatman means im out from buying any more from them until the full story is clear.

Nothing about this makes sense with what we know about Ashley and his motivations.

Its all about sports direct, it’s all about selling kits and we are expected to believe that’s he’s now happy to close the store and have another company run it for him?! I’m not having that for one minute.

Obviously I don't know but if we're to believe part of the article surely we have to believe it all.

It says he's closing it because the new owners don't want it and they've gone with Castore.

Something about this making me seriously uneasy.

Ashley just closed his store which is his bread and butter, sacked all the staff and handed it all over to castore? The reason he bought Newcastle was to sell kits.

Why though?

We have a contract with Castore. They pay us money. When the deal is up, we will probably move onto someone else who pays us more money.

A bit of our problem is that some fans started hero worshipping Castore when it's really just a standard business relationship.

Castore have had obligations to Sports Direct within days of our deal with them being announced (...and curiously after the club briefed fan media that SD were 'gone')

Not overly concerned but Castore appear to be the breakwater between us & SD.

I honestly think Ashley is done with football. I believe he genuinely tried to sell the club last time - unlike before. Hes got in, incredibly deep with high street acquisitions, i dont believe he has the time and resources for football anymore. I think theres a serious risk to his fortune, if his high street gambles fail.

images

I honestly think Ashley is done with football. I believe he genuinely tried to sell the club last time - unlike before. Hes got in, incredibly deep with high street acquisitions, i dont believe he has the time and resources for football anymore. I think theres a serious risk to his fortune, if his high street gambles fail.

And what a delight it will be if it all crumbles. He's poison.

He's still worth over 2 billion quid. Don't think he'll be too worried yet.

One of Castore's major backers was linked with taking over Newcastle.

Ties in with what Fat Mike is saying about 'proposed new owners'.

Why would Ashley shut down the Newcastle club shops if he is selling the club?

Tnis would be for any new owners to decide, not him. This is either bullshit or very worrying with Castore and Ashley linked.

If Castore are interested i would hope their lawyers went through any contract with the finest of fine tooth combs before signing anything with Ashley in the background.
Hopefully their pro Chinese lawyers though. Not their Turkish ones.

Amazing if anyone can’t see through these chancers!

It actually makes sense when you think about how our deal with Castore is structured - they pay us a lump sum up front, run the retail and they also pay additional payments based on performance. We don't have any issues like staffing or dealing with poor sales. So if the NUFC deal is similar, Castore put the money into the club that Ashley was previously from retail. For Ashley, he doesn't have to put any money into the football club from the retail, but can still sell NUFC merchandise in his tat emporiums

As callous as it is to say it, the only time I'll rest easy regarding Ashley and anything to do with football is when that fucker has breathed his last. Some of his actions have shown his motivations at times have been driven by emotion and / or ego. I'd put nothing past him, and I share the unease that out of all possible companies Castore just happen to be the ones waltzing in to pick up his mess. Again.

Why would Ashley shut down the Newcastle club shops if he is selling the club?

Tnis would be for any new owners to decide, not him. This is either bullshit or very worrying with Castore and Ashley linked.

Or if Newcastle's proposed new owner is a Castore investor who says, we'll be taking over the retail as part of the deal, ta?

As callous as it is to say it, the only time I'll rest easy regarding Ashley and anything to do with football is when that fucker has breathed his last. Some of his actions have shown his motivations at times have been driven by emotion and / or ego. I'd put nothing past him, and I share the unease that out of all possible companies Castore just happen to be the ones waltzing in to pick up his mess. Again.

I do understand the concerns, there are certainly a few coincidences. That said i think thats all they are. Castores business model, is nothing like Ashleys and they already have some incredibly wealthy investors. I dont really see what they would have to benefit from involving Ashley. Their brand would be ruined in football if any links to Ashley were ever proven. Its correct to be vigilant though, but personally i dont see it.

Why though?

We have a contract with Castore. They pay us money. When the deal is up, we will probably move onto someone else who pays us more money.

A bit of our problem is that some fans started hero worshipping Castore when it's really just a standard business relationship.
I think your right mate. A kind of stone island type football kit.

Something about this making me seriously uneasy.

Ashley just closed his store which is his bread and butter, sacked all the staff and handed it all over to castore? The reason he bought Newcastle was to sell kits.
Not how I read it. Taking the info at face value he's done a deal to sell Newcastle, and the buyer doesn't want the existing retail setup. So fat man closed it down. The buyers intend to let Castore manage Newcastle's retail, and become official kit supplier.
The last I heard about fat man's business with the Saudi's the deal was off, it had been prevented by the Premier League somehow, and surprise surprise, he was taking legal action against them.
This suggests the deal is back on, and far down the road to conclusion.

Back