Ashley to close NUFC retail store. Castore entering fold

Why though?

We have a contract with Castore. They pay us money. When the deal is up, we will probably move onto someone else who pays us more money.

A bit of our problem is that some fans started hero worshipping Castore when it's really just a standard business relationship.
We had a contract with Elite.
Fatso stepped in and they have refused to pay us what they owe.
He is so much of a heavyweight in sports retail that any small company would be delighted to have him take them over abd do their distribution.
Even if it’s a breach of contract with Rangers, they will be so much money in it for the two Scouse brothers they probably won’t care
Castore promised us they would have nothing to do with SD.
Next thing our shirts are on sale in fatsos shops.
Now this.
Remember we’re talking about two Scouse salesmen and the Fat c@nt.
Not good reading in my eyes.

He is so much of a heavyweight in sports retail that any small company would be delighted to have him take them over abd do their distribution.
Even if it’s a breach of contract with Rangers, they will be so much money in it for the two Scouse brothers they probably won’t care
Now this.
Great points mate.

Of all the clubs in Europe, of all the clubs in Britain in fact, the one that just screams please no involvement Castore, is Newcastle.

They were fućk all when we signed up with them, said it at the time we announced the deal, Rangers should have insisted in a The option to exit the contract if there was any involvement with a MASH company / subsidiary.

That is the big issue.
If he has decided to do so, there will be nothing we can do about it and you can bet your bottom dollar that he will cut off our cash supply right away.
Read the article instead of scaremongering.

Ashley is desperate for the takeover to go through, him shutting down NUFC retail is a condition of that.

Now this.

Completely different scenario mate.

We tried to do a fast one with the Elite contract. It was pretty close to the bone legal wise as we attempted to circumnavigate an existing deal with Ashley. This deal is now gone. On that front,I couldn't care less if Al Qaeda had the rights to make out kits out of rocks for a season. It has broken Ashley's matching clause which no longer exists.

All elite did was distribute the Hummel kit as well.

Castore are a kit manufacturer. They actually make the kit and the deal is direct with Rangers to manufacture and distribute our kit while paying us for the privelige of doing so.

The Castore deal is a traditional kit deal. It's been so long since we had one of them that people have forgotten what they look like.

If you're worried,simply ask yourself why Ashley would get involved with a company to then make a bid that Sports Direct couldn't match and thus lose their eternal matching clause?

Not if they don't want to sell - they are a privately owned company.

Ashley pulls this stunt every summer - to ensure he sells season tickets.
Privately owned companies are only privately owned until someone comes along from a bigger private or public company and offers them so much money that they are happy to sell.
It’s called business. People invest to make profit and when they get an attractive offer they are more than happy to take it.

Not if they don't want to sell - they are a privately owned company.

Ashley pulls this stunt every summer - to ensure he sells season tickets.

Why would buying OR not buying a small sportswear brand have an impact on the calculus of NUFC fans when it comes to buying STs?

Bizarre

Why would buying OR not buying a small sportswear brand have an impact on the calculus of NUFC fans when it comes to buying STs?

Bizarre
Why would Ashley change the habits of the lifetime and buy a brand on the up rather than his usual modus operandi of buying distressed companies ?

Every summer for the last 10 years Ashley has flirted he is selling the Toon. This is the latest manifestation. Maybe he will sell this time - but we will see.

Bizarre
He's talking about the takeover chat.

It's not a ploy to sell season tickets though, it was genuinely very close to happening this time last year.

Why would Ashley change the habits of the lifetime and buy a brand on the up rather than his usual modus operandi of buying distressed companies ?

Every summer for the last 10 years Ashley has flirted he is selling the Toon. This is the latest manifestation. Maybe he will sell this time - but we will see.

Misunderstood your previous post that i responded to.

Something about this making me seriously uneasy.

Ashley just closed his store which is his bread and butter, sacked all the staff and handed it all over to castore? The reason he bought Newcastle was to sell kits.

Wasn't it the ability to turn St James Park into one big Sports Direct billboard?

Agree mate, many will bury there head in the sand and dismiss this as nothing. Castore have been pretty poor already in terms of quality, stock and no customer service. Add in any involvement with thr fatman means im out from buying any more from them until the full story is clear.

The full story will never be “clear” because there are some desperate for Ashley to be unveiled as Castore. Ill-founded rumours will continue to be pushed each year. In fact, he’s probably trying to sell Newcastle so he can concentrate on coming after us...

Odd that it would stop you buying our merchandise.

I think people will only ever feel fully at ease with the Strip situation if they were made by Nike or Adidas who have previously told Ashley to go and bolt and are big enough to take no notice of him

The full story will never be “clear” because there are some desperate for Ashley to be unveiled as Castore. Ill-founded rumours will continue to be pushed each year. In fact, he’s probably trying to sell Newcastle so he can concentrate on coming after us...

Odd that it would stop you buying our merchandise.

Ashley is selling up the Toon to buy Celtic from DD and take his revenge on Dave King on the pitch.

Please share :D

This stinks. Its as if Ashley is trying to sanitise business dealings as sales are slumping. He gets a new clean firm to front it and back handedly gets the profits.
I hope I'm wrong but have an uneasy feeling we're still lining his pockets.

This stinks. Its as if Ashley is trying to sanitise business dealings as sales are slumping. He gets a new clean firm to front it and back handedly gets the profits.
I hope I'm wrong but have an uneasy feeling we're still lining his pockets.

As I've posted above, why would Ashley have Castore pay us more than SD could and thus lose his enternal matching clause that he had if he still wanted a hold over us?

It makes absolutely zero sense for Ashley to be involved in us via Castore in any kind of big way.

This constant need for grievance from our support when it comes to Mike Ashley is tedious. Likely a highly unpopular opinion on here, but we were never going to win outright in a scrap with him. Nor were we going to walk away unscathed by him. He's got his fingers in so many pies when it comes to sports retail it would have been impossible. We've made the best of a bad situation. We are now free to navigate the market and improve our commercial output whilst free of him and his influence. Most Rangers fans will never knowingly give him money again, that's good enough for me. That's as good as I could have hoped for.

I hate him with a passion but so long as he's alive, we'll be brushing shoulders with him and his businesses in the future. As long as he has zero controlling stake in our club or any future moves made by our club then that's the best that I could hope for.

Too many people want to continue fighting an unwinnable crusade against him. I, myself don't buy anything from his retail operations and will carry on doing that for as long as he's about. I don't however, feel the need to constantly infer that he's some shadowy figure forever in the background and that we are being duped by the current board into being involved with him.

Hate hearing Castore and Ashley being mentioned in the same sentence.
Seriously suspicious that the Ashley is involved with Castore ,using them to make money from us through the back door.
In regards to suppliers ,I won't be happy until we deal with the tried and trusted companies like ,Nike ,adidas umbro ect

castore should be making sure our 150th edition tops are spot on and making sure the kit is not falling to bits before going any where near another sports team

not too mention half the merch on the website is out of stock.
walk before you run springs to mind

I want away from Castore at the earliest opportunity. Regardless of length of deal it can be renegotiated/bought out by others.

Come next season we’ll be an even more attractive option to other kit manufacturers. They’ll want in on the action.

I get the bespoke angle Castore give us but personally like I said, I’d prefer us to exit the deal with them.

Hmm it makes me very suspicious hearing things like this. Despite no obvious link, I still feel uneasy hearing about SD, Ashley and Castore in the same breath.
"Whenever theres any doubt, theres no doubt"

Your suspicions are well founded and placed, anytime that man circles a company or deal people should run a country mile. I used to quite like shopping in places like Frasers but since he slithered in Ive never been back and wouldnt give a £1 of business to anything connected to him.

Amazing to see so many people happy to just write this off as a coincidence or ‘nothing to do with us’, ‘did you read the article’.

I’ve seen everything from Craig Whyte to Giovanni Di Stefano being given the benefit of the doubt on this board. Forgive me if I don’t take all this at face value.

Castore are not to be trusted.

People on this thread think Ashley can walk on water %^*& me why would he give up the one stranglehold he had over the club to invest in a new business which is giving us a shit tonne more of his money?

I want away from Castore at the earliest opportunity. Regardless of length of deal it can be renegotiated/bought out by others.

Come next season we’ll be an even more attractive option to other kit manufacturers. They’ll want in on the action.

I get the bespoke angle Castore give us but personally like I said, I’d prefer us to exit the deal with them.

Same, mate.

The quality issues alone make them not fit for purpose.
Then you have all the other things like insufficient stock levels and non-existent customer service.

They talk a great game – but spectacularly fail to deliver.

Is there enough sales for it to be a business opportunity for some young entrepreneurial bear? There’s got to be. Or I’d like to see us make our own stuff locally

Last edited:
castore should be making sure our 150th edition tops are spot on and making sure the kit is not falling to bits before going any where near another sports team

not too mention half the merch on the website is out of stock.
walk before you run springs to mind

I bought a pair of sliders & both were different sizes. Could barely get the left one on my foot.

Been waiting over a month for a replacement.

Ordered a champions mug, came without any bubble wrap packaging, so of course the handle was broken off.

I’ve had 2 orders cancelled with them because they can’t keep items in stock despite being available to purchase on the website.

Castore are a shambles.

I Jumped aboard the Castore train like everyone else, wanted it to be the business but the state of my black and orange third strip is pathetic, after three washes the transfers are hanging off like spaghetti on a wains bib.

Something fishy about this imo, really doesn’t seem right.
don’t believe Ashley will sell the club been a for sale sign on the door since he took over.

That’s my first reaction - treat with suspicion
Very very true.... I smell a rat!!

Totally agree. I just have a feeling somethings not quite above board. Can't quite put my finger on it though. Just a hunch

Back