Does Gerrard have a Walter type curve ball he could play on Sunday

Under Walter he was the master of throwing a curve ball into the mix that no-one expected, whether it be bringing in a player no-one expected or tweaking the formation. Can't complain at Gerrard's record against that mob but the last few games we haven't overpowered them like earlier in Gerrard's reign. Celtic will likely stick to the diamond formation as they will be of the opinion that it's worked even though we are still undefeated against them this season.
Would like Gerrard to tweak it slightly and put Celtic under pressure from the start so potentially play Scott Wright and use his pace to keep Celtic on the back foot.

Under Walter he was the master of throwing a curve ball into the mix that no-one expected, whether it be bringing in a player no-one expected or tweaking the formation. Can't complain at Gerrard's record against that mob but the last few games we haven't overpowered them like earlier in Gerrard's reign. Celtic will likely stick to the diamond formation as they will be of the opinion that it's worked even though we are still undefeated against them this season.
Would like Gerrard to tweak it slightly and put Celtic under pressure from the start so potentially play Scott Wright and use his pace to keep Celtic on the back foot.

do we need one?

Can’t see him starting. There’s no chance of Kent being dropped and on the right we’ve already got Roofe, Aribo & Hagi ahead of him in the pecking order.

Wright in for Roofe or something is all I could really see that would be unexpected.

And most of our fans would probably be baffled and poised to criticise if it didn’t work out.

I think the team largely picks itself with maybe one conundrum around Arfield/Aribo/Hagi.

I’m actually no sure on Roofe starting of I’m honest we might see the return of aribo onto the front 3

Not quite a Walter curve ball, but Wright could well start on Sunday.

Gerrard played Barker at the piggery earlier in the season, to try and catch them on the counter with his pace.

Wright could do the same, but I still think it'll be Roofe or Aribo in the forward right position.

I would have liked to see Wright start as he offers a whole new dimension but i think the team will be the same starting XI as last weekend.
IMO if Roofe and Aribo are on fire we win comfortably.

Curve ball or not, I want to see Wright and Kent running at that defence causing absolute havoc. They wouldn’t know what to do especially with Alfie doing what Alfie does as well. Those 3 starting against them would cause them so many problems IMO.

Then we’ve got Roofe to bring off bench to give them something else to think about! Lovely!!

McLaughlin in goals will give Celtic a confidence boost for their 20 minutes of playing us off the park. Then we can counter.

Gerrard is a genius.

I reckon the team picks itself only position in my eyes that’s up for debate is right of the front 3

roofe / Wright / Hagi or Aribo (if playing Arfield in midfield)
Barring injury it will be

Mcregor

Paterson
Goldson
Helander
Barasic

Davis
Aribo
Kamara

AN Other
Morelos
Kent

I’d be astounded if it’s anything else.

I'm sure I heard someone say the Walter Smith curveball was a bit of a myth.

Can't say I remember any mental line ups in his 2nd spell, I was too young for his first spell.
Sounds strange but when he started Cousin up front against them in August 2008 it was quite unexpected.

Andy Little coming in from nowhere to start against them in October 2009 before going off injured was a surprise.

Also the 4-4-2 set up in the 2011 League Cup final, which I think at the time was due to Bartley getting injured and having to change our set up midfield.

Filip Sebo as a lone striker as well in March 2007

I reckon the team picks itself only position in my eyes that’s up for debate is right of the front 3

roofe / Wright / Hagi or Aribo (if playing Arfield in midfield)
Barring injury it will be

Mcregor

Paterson
Goldson
Helander
Barasic

Davis
Aribo
Kamara

AN Other
Morelos
Kent

I’d be astounded if it’s anything else.
Don’t think Aribo works in the midfield against them. If Aribo plays, it should be as one of the front 3 or on the bench. IMO Arfield has to play in the midfield along with Davis and Kamara.

Don’t think Aribo works in the midfield against them. If Aribo plays, it should be as one of the front 3 or on the bench. IMO Arfield has to play in the midfield along with Davis and Kamara.

so far I agree he’s not performed up to his standards in the old firm games - I certainly don’t think he will drop him especially after scoring last weekend - should add in a Arfield hasn’t been up to his pre injury for of earlier in the season since he came back either .. so not sure what the gaffer will do but for me it’s the only position I think will have any debate.

would play Alfie, Kent and Roofe from the start and go for the jugular

Would give Wright the last 30 minutes when their legs start to tire
Id agree with that.
Celtic's lack of fitness is a major weakness of theirs. They'll be blowing out their arses after an hour. The last thing they'll want to see is someone as pacy and direct as Wright coming on and running at them

Barker at the piggery earlier in the season, Defoe ahead of Morelos first old firm of last season if I remember right?

Wright would have played some part of the game against Hibs if he was in Gerrard's thinking for this weekend.

i tend to agree I don’t think he will start Wright - I think he will push Aribo up and play Arfield in the midfield 3 personally.

or he may play the exact same team as he did against Hibs with Roofe in and Aribo in midfield.

Don’t know about a curveball but players playing to form would do for me.Unfortunately in the last few games we have had some who have been badly out of form.

Reactions: TQ3
I think the result (and the enormity of said result) in Jan has clouded the memories a bit. We were very lucky to win it.

You’ll always take three points but doing so without a shot on target, in what we were all labelling our biggest game in a decade, made it a tough watch.

They’ll press us really high again. In Jan, Turnbull almost played as a third striker and we were clueless as to how to counter their press. We could’ve been three down in twenty minutes, and whilst they didn’t have a shot on target beyond that, the Norwegian put one just over and OE was right in on goal before a superb last ditch tackle from Goldson.

I’m not sure Roofe and Buff have struck up any sort of partnership and they tend to get in each other’s way. I’d much prefer Aribo wide right and Arfield in the middle, but as above, if we keep trying to pass through their press the personnel won’t matter, cos we’ll be relying on McGregor again.

The only curveball I’d like is for the team to be at it from the very first whistle. You can usually get a good idea of how an old firm is going to go in the first 5-10 minutes. I’d like a complete performance, every single player absolutely hounding them down. There’s been too many recently that haven’t been hitting the heights although we have been still winning

i tend to agree I don’t think he will start Wright - I think he will push Aribo up and play Arfield in the midfield 3 personally.

or he may play the exact same team as he did against Hibs with Roofe in and Aribo in midfield.

When it's Old Firm week, we (as fans) always tend to overthink and over analyse things like the team selection imo. We had the game against Cove to give players a run out who hadn't been starting many games, putting your managers hat back on, you would think that the team Gerrard picked to start against Hibs was the team he had in mind to start against Celtic and he wanted to get them all game time before the big game this weekend.

I think he will go with the same team that started against Hibs but me personally, I would play Arfield over Aribo in midfield to try and give us more control of the midfield which we haven't had against them the last two games. I think he will go with Aribo though, and Roofe will start up top for his work rate and goal threat.

Back