Do we rest nearly everybody for midweek ?

Depending on the result of the appeal, Tav will be back to his usual position. There is scope to include Wright, Defoe and Bassey. If Jack had been available Davis could have had a rest, but, that will be the difficult decisions I dont think we have a natural replacement for him. McLaughlin is also a good replacement for Greegs.
Defoe hasn't been in the last 2 squads, on leave for a bereavement I think. can't see him coming straight back to get a start

Tav will come in for Patterson. Hagi will almost definitely play too, probably instead of Arfield. Barring any knocks etc. everyone else keeps their place IMO

If the players feel ok, I wouldn't be resting any of them. I wouldn't rest for resting sake.

Once in a lead, it would be good to give Wright, Itten and Simpson some game time for the last 30mins or so.

If Tav isn't fit to play 90 minutes and Patterson does indeed get banned, not really sure who else we can play at right back. Both the other emergency options to fill in (Balogun & Jack) are injured - Arfield possibly?

Tav back in. He needs match minutes now. Maybe Roofe to start too. And Hagi
JqmTICA.gif

I’d freshen it up, but remember we can use five subs

Mclaughlin

Patterson
Goldson
Balogun/simpson
Barisic

Kamara
Zungu
Aribo

Wright
Roofe
Kent

Why?

they didn’t get out of second gear today and tbf have st Johnstone at home at the weekend. They are also just back from an international break not so long ago.

a few changes, as usual, and that will be it.

I’m sure Gerrard shall rest a Couple of Players? We should have the Quality to beat St Johnstone midweek, I would like to see Wright given a Start,

I dont think we need to rest anyone, the end is insight, keep pushing on relentlessly. Get the games won as early as possible, make use of our subs wisely.

Hagi, Roofe to start.
Wright, Zungu, maybe Defoe and even Tav to come off the bench in the second half.
Would be my guess.

No, we have barely played any games in the last few weeks, we need to find that spark with a few of them.

The Scottish Cup is the priority. Completing the league undefeated is a bonus, nothing more.

Anyone carrying a knock or niggle sits out on Wednesday for me. Options obviously may be a little limited should bans be upheld for Patterson etc but we should have some scope to make a couple of changes.

I agree with a lot here who say the team is better when the games come thick and fast, so only 3 or 4 changes to starting 11. Only players I'd look at resting would be Alfie and Borna, who looked tired in Old Firm and Hubs games respectively. Bassey LB if available. Roofe in for Alfie. Maybe start Wright or Hagi ahead of Kent, but try and get them both involved for a good chunk of the game.

I think Davis manages his own energy levels really well, so leave him in. Arfield looked a lot more like his old self yesterday, so again keep him starting.

I'd want to get Tav at least a half if he's ready.

Probably see the likes of Wright, Hagi, Roofe and Itten contest the front line with Aribo likely to drop into midfield with Zungu, to give Davis a break. Balogun, if fit, may well come back in either at centre-back or full-back, depending on Tav. I'd like to see Bassey get a run out at left-back as well and I'd give McLaughlin a start in goal as he needs one more League appearance to make it to ten and a medal. Bassey needs 3, which is probably beyond him now.

Last edited:
McLaughlin

Tav (if fit) Goldson Simpson Barisic

Arfield Zungu Hagi

Roofe Itten Wright

Rest McGregor, Patterson, Helander, Kamara, Davis, Aribo, Morelos and Kent

No but I'd like to see Wright and Simpson start so there getting used to the way we play for next season Roofe should also start to get him sharper

We are at our best in my opinion when we play weekend midweek weekend. Tav for Patterson and maybe see Hagi come in for Davis and that will be it.

Bassey Zungu and Patterson hearing is tomorrow so no doubt the suspensions will kick in.

No need to screw these guys into the ground.
Front 6 should be rested.
Wednesdays game is not important at all
It’s all about the Scottish cup now.
We are on the cusp of a historic invincible league campaign.

but f it!

McLaughlin
Tavernier Goldson Simpson Bassey
Arfield Zungu Kamara
Wright Hagi
Itten

Not for me. This team have played our best stuff when we have a lot of games and build up rhythm. I’d make 4/5 changes but wouldn’t change everyone.

We rested players against St Mirren and got beat. Gerrard won't make the same mistake again, start with strongest team then hopefully get in a position to rotate subs early in second half.

This team thrive on 2 games a week, full strength, go 2 up then think about subs.

I'd start Wright though he will be bursting to get out there and boss it.

Back