European Super League Officially Announced - All Comments In This Thread - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Spurs & Chelsea all out of it

I agree, if these teams aren't allowed to play other football, they're hardly going to just have their fantasy league?
They'd risk being an elephat's graveyard for players. A league like the MLS that celebrity players go to in their twilight years for a last big paycheck in front of tourist fans who don't give a fck what team wins a game. Just there for the selfies, autographs and hot dogs with their matchday souvenir programme and poster.

Lol speckatron has chimed in

REACTION TO EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE PROPOSALS
Neil Doncaster, chief executive of the SPFL, commented: “The SPFL stands alongside UEFA, the European Leagues, the English Premier League and the overwhelming majority of the game’s stakeholders in vehemently opposing the proposed European Super League.
“These proposals, or any like them, would have an enormously damaging impact on the very fabric of our sport at all levels. It is no surprise they have been so swiftly and overwhelmingly condemned by fans the world over.
“We believe that any such ‘competition’ would dramatically undermine the global appeal of football and would be financially catastrophic for all but a very tiny minority.
“The proposals we have seen, assembled by a small, self-selected group of very wealthy clubs, appear to be a cynical and very worrying attempt to thwart the core principle of sporting merit which rightly underpins European football. They represent a clear and present danger to the sport we all love.
“Now, more than ever, given what we have all been through over the past year, governments, together with the game’s governing bodies and leagues, need to work together to do what is right and protect the very essence of the game.
“The SPFL stands ready to support all efforts to fight for the principles of solidarity, sporting competition and fairness which lie at the very heart of the game.”
Puts to bed any notion the scum are involved otherwise the staement would read a lot different

Neil Doncaster, chief executive of the SPFL, commented: “The SPFL stands alongside UEFA, the European Leagues, the English Premier League and the overwhelming majority of the game’s stakeholders in vehemently opposing the proposed European Super League.
“These proposals, or any like them, would have an enormously damaging impact on the very fabric of our sport at all levels. It is no surprise they have been so swiftly and overwhelmingly condemned by fans the world over.
“We believe that any such ‘competition’ would dramatically undermine the global appeal of football and would be financially catastrophic for all but a very tiny minority.
“The proposals we have seen, assembled by a small, self-selected group of very wealthy clubs, appear to be a cynical and very worrying attempt to thwart the core principle of sporting merit which rightly underpins European football. They represent a clear and present danger to the sport we all love.
“Now, more than ever, given what we have all been through over the past year, governments, together with the game’s governing bodies and leagues, need to work together to do what is right and protect the very essence of the game.
“The SPFL stands ready to support all efforts to fight for the principles of solidarity, sporting competition and fairness which lie at the very heart of the game.”
Statement out as if the spfl opinion matters in the whole thing

The market is there. Not a traditional football market, but one that is emerging. As a football fan I love going to games. If I don't have a home game to go to and I've got a free Saturday afternoon then I'll go along to a junior game. I'll get together with a couple of mates and we'll go to a football game (often Newlandsfield) before going to the hockey on a Saturday evening.

This new league isnt for me. I'm not the target audience. The target audience is the football tourist who saves their money and goes on a city break to take in a Barcelona or a Man City game. It's the kid playing FIFA on their console. It's the person who'll spend on a pay TV contract. The repetitive nature doesnt put people off watching the NFL. It doesnt put media companies or other sponsors off.

We're going to see 2 tiers of football develop. There will be football as a live spectacle and football as TV entertainment. There's room for both but the latter will take money away from the former. There will always be an audience for saturday afternoon football but it'll be a different audience to those targeted by the money league. You'll see players earn less money, clubs spent less on transfer fees and the importance of fan income through ticket and merchandise sales strengthen.

Wouldn't be a bad thing. Football needs to go back to being something that we all love and experience live and in person. The gap between the average working man football supporter and the mega money players is just too wide. Players earning the kind of money in a month that it would take fans 5-10 years to earn, and those are really bang average players. Something has to change.
I suspect this might well be how things pan out. Whilst there are obvious differences around structure and age etc, it might end up a bit like College Football vs NFL. College leagues still attract very large crowds and are successful in their own right. NFL is the big show with all that's good and bad with it...

The market is there. Not a traditional football market, but one that is emerging. As a football fan I love going to games. If I don't have a home game to go to and I've got a free Saturday afternoon then I'll go along to a junior game. I'll get together with a couple of mates and we'll go to a football game (often Newlandsfield) before going to the hockey on a Saturday evening.

This new league isnt for me. I'm not the target audience. The target audience is the football tourist who saves their money and goes on a city break to take in a Barcelona or a Man City game. It's the kid playing FIFA on their console. It's the person who'll spend on a pay TV contract. The repetitive nature doesnt put people off watching the NFL. It doesnt put media companies or other sponsors off.

We're going to see 2 tiers of football develop. There will be football as a live spectacle and football as TV entertainment. There's room for both but the latter will take money away from the former. There will always be an audience for saturday afternoon football but it'll be a different audience to those targeted by the money league. You'll see players earn less money, clubs spent less on transfer fees and the importance of fan income through ticket and merchandise sales strengthen.

Wouldn't be a bad thing. Football needs to go back to being something that we all love and experience live and in person. The gap between the average working man football supporter and the mega money players is just too wide. Players earning the kind of money in a month that it would take fans 5-10 years to earn, and those are really bang average players. Something has to change.

I know what you mean mate
Spectators have drastically changed in the last 35 years -
& Just as you pointed out - the swing is from joe public on average wages turning up at the ground each week - & watching highlights on T.V. on a Saturday night -
Into those maybe on higher wages paying for T.V. subscriptions & rarely ever going near a ground - but able to watch a game 7 days a week
Bums on seats has long since not mattered when it comes to revenues

So basically it's already broken - & this new idea won't repair it - but will damage it further

It's just that I can't help thinking that they've completely mis-judged the audience - including the T.V. audience imo

Interest, entertainment & excitement needn't be diminished when watching a good quality, yet unfancied team, up against the big guns -

There's no guarantee that the elite only playing each other, will substantially increase the quality of the product - or improve the entertainment
In fact I'd argue there's a good chance it could even stagnate

I dare say I could afford yet another T.V. subscription & that would mean 5 in total but there's no way I'm going to fork out for this
I'd knock them all on the head & revert to whatever RTV could offer if this comes off - & I'd be surprised if I was alone

If someone has identified the European product as the one most likely to be watched in China, the Far East or worldwide - and wants to get the rights & revenue that brings - then surely they can do that by negotiating with existing authorities - without changing the format, set-up or system ?
Why wouldn't it be saleable as it is ?
What does the new set-up actually achieve? (Apart from elitism)

Completely agree with the criticism this whole thing is getting.

However, the hypocrisy from some - especially in England - is staggering.
An almost equivalent version of this has already happened within the European leagues themselves.
You’ve got 5 “super leagues” who maintain the majority of the money coming from the Champions League, TV etc, and then all the other countries scrap around for the tiny amount left over. It’s not completely closed door in that yes, smaller leagues/teams can technically improve rankings and earn more European places, but it’s so f*cking difficult for them to do that when the financial gap to the top 5 leagues just gets ridiculously bigger every year.

To act as if this is the moment football is getting ruined by money is embarrassing.

They’re only complaining now when the same thing is happening to them.

That’s the thing though - for these clubs those fans are no longer the ‘lifeblood’, they would rather sell tickets at 3 times the price to day trippers who will come once a season than those who have supported the club their entire lives.

I read something about TV viewers for EPL games, it said only 1 out of 17 viewers was in the UK. They're risking the 1 out of 17 to chase after the 16 "fans of the future".

One rumour is he refused to take training due to this and was sacked shortly afterwards.
Apparently pish. He was punted for crap results and nothing else.
Stale Solbakken the Norway manager

"In the past few years Juventus has been knocked out by Lyon, Porto and Ajax. Why the fuck do they want to be in that competition. Spurs and Arsenal arent even top 20 teams in Europe at the moment."
brilliant.

An almost equivalent version of this has already happened within the European leagues themselves.
You’ve got 5 “super leagues” who maintain the majority of the money coming from the Champions League, TV etc, and then all the other countries scrap around for the tiny amount left over. It’s not completely closed door in that yes, smaller leagues/teams can technically improve rankings and earn more European places, but it’s so f*cking difficult for them to do that when the financial gap to the top 5 leagues just gets ridiculously bigger every year.

To act as if this is the moment football is getting ruined by money is embarrassing.

Spot on (a point I made earlier).

Thanks for your input, maybe you in your superior knowledge can tell us where football is heading.

When did you enlighten us that this new league was starting up. If it and it looks like it goes ahead, then everything changes.

Us and them are far too big for scottish football or are you happy to stay in the comfort zone of playing against the diddy clubs that they get called on here, to keep our goal difference high.
This thread has absolutely nothing to do with Celtic and I’m laughing at you trying to wedge them into it

The faux outrage makes me laugh. How they all lapped it up when non-Champions were allowed to participate in the Champions Cup. That's just a smaller scale version of what's going on now as an inevitable consequence of that decision. That was when the rot set in.
Hmm not sure I agree as the reality is that football has become a global phenomenon and back in the 70s 80s China and the like had no way or means to get truly involved with teams in Europe. I think both us and they should have at least a play off or shot at getting into the group stages and I would have preferred if they changed it to accommodate at least 1 direct entry form the top 18 leagues with the rest filtered through play offs but that’s not happening.

We also moan that we offer the most to game up here and as a result we should get a bigger chunk of the pot but is that ( right ) I am not sure but the game in Scotland is well and truly fucked regardless as we have people making decisions which are designed to hurt one club and that’s a fact.

as for ESL - probably will happen if they are at a stage of lawyers and negotiating TV deals, and they probably want it done in the next 4/8 weeks

Puts to bed any notion the scum are involved otherwise the staement would read a lot different
Not necessarily. Liewell has a habit of dropping his lackeys when they're of no further use to him

But if they do get in, it'll only be because several other teams have turned down the invite

Can I just add that new CL is almost as bad. It also has nonsense legacy clauses and is also harder for rich teams to be knocked out.

its bad but not as bad
you qualify for the CL, you're in it - they cannot shoehorn in numerous failing big clubs
this is just a members only club

I think it will end as IAATP says: "top level soccer" will be franchise based, self selecting, and we won't get in. It will become like NFL.

But football will survive in terms of 'legacy fans' like us packing out grounds.

It is heading that way anyway and it's inevitable. Some fans here misguidedly believe there is ever going to be genuine pyramid where we get to reach CL semi final and joust with Man City or Barcelona. That's gone, even without ESL.

You don't get a $5 billion credit agreement from a bank for a negotiating tactic.

I wouldn’t put anything past these greedy pigs.

They knew the reaction would be unanimously negative. They know football fans would be hostile and not recognise this league as legitimate.

I cannot see it going ahead. It would be catastrophic. They’ll sit down and sort it out.

Only clubs from the Big 4 leagues with all the TV money in the last 10-15 years have been able to win European Competitions. This is just the same thing but on a larger scale.

We haven't had competitive football for a long time now.
Manchester City came form being a nothing team to the top table. Yes they bought that seat. However with this new set up no team can get into the permanent 15 in the ESL. They are as the name suggests permanent members. No relegation, no matter how badly they play they stay in the competition for ever. That is against everything football is about and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes football the world's biggest sport.

At least now, however unlikely there is a route to the top if you can do it on the park. To lose that is unforgivable.

But the ultimate cheek is to then expect to get the lions share of the money in the domestic leagues as well. Have your cake and eat it with a cherry on top of a cherry.

Will alienate lots fo football fans. How many away fans can afford to go to games on a Wednesday night? What is football without two sets of fans? A very devalued spectacle. This is Americans trying to turn football into something like NFL with even more control. Utterly repugnant.

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with Celtic and I’m laughing at you trying to wedge them into it
I'm trying to explain that something that surprised many at the time when they spoke of wanting to join a british league, came out of nowhere.

For long enough, they were pursuing the idea of trying to get UEFA to allow past winners of the european cup automatic entry to the cl. Out of nowhere they come out with their wish to be part of a british league. What changed their minds? This new set up must have been known in football circles for long enough and i include rangers in that.

But hey, you find it funny and probably think I'm a tim. So we'll leave it at that.

Brilliant post Daz

Hinting of playing a weekend team for domestic won’t wash with the support who pay their hard earned for ST’s,merchandise and the likes and nor should it.Absolutely pathetic.

Give the scabs one chance to come back into the fold and ditch the super league, if they don't kick them out and if they want to rejoin they come back into the bottom tier of their respective leagues!

Wonder if they'll change names of the teams to be more glitzy for a global market.

London Hotspur would be more descriptive and mean more to average Chinese fans than Tottenham.

I think it will end as IAATP says: "top level soccer" will be franchise based, self selecting, and we won't get in. It will become like NFL.

But football will survive in terms of 'legacy fans' like us packing out grounds.

It is heading that way anyway and I'd inevitable. Some fans here misguidedly believe there is ever going to be genuine pyramid where we get to reach CL semi final and joust with Man City or Barcelona. That's gone, even without ESL.

Id hope to god we don’t get in.

Why would we want to be in it? It exists to make money. Nothing else.

I see us as being about more than that. I want Rangers to be fighting for Scottish leagues and Scottish cups. Those tournaments have legitimacy.

Maybe I’m being idealistic but I would rather be poor, on the outside, but still feel my football teams matches counted.

They can shove their little club.

It is heading that way anyway and it's inevitable. Some fans here misguidedly believe there is ever going to be genuine pyramid where we get to reach CL semi final and joust with Man City or Barcelona. That's gone, even without ESL.
I'm with you mate. This has been coming for years and lets not kid ourselves when they say legacy fans, it's just a polite way of not calling us all dinosaur fans.

Football doesn't begin and end with these teams. Let them go and govern themselves within their own closeted world. I think the novelty will wear off quite quickly.

In turn, it should provide UEFA with a jolt. Govern football for the benefit of football and not for money and the interests of a minority. This move could have a positive impact.

Id hope to god we don’t get in.

Why would we want to be in it? It exists to make money. Nothing else.

I see us as being about more than that. I want Rangers to be fighting for Scottish leagues and Scottish cups. Those tournaments have legitimacy.

Maybe I’m being idealistic but I would rather be poor, on the outside, but still feel my football teams matches counted.

They can shove their little club.
Would be the ultimate GIRFUY to the SPFL after 2012.

Hopefully all these clubs do get thrown out of their respective leagues.

Yeah - probably what they deserve -
Add players to the ban as well -
No way back either

The effect of that would be monumental
Can you imagine what would happen to players in the elite league who came nearer the end of their career ? Either through age, loss of form or being un-fancied
They'd have nowhere to go

A players career span is short enough - but if it's limited to the top flight only - with no possibility of joining a lower league club later on - wages in the elite league could potentially become astronomically expensive just to cover the fact this would be their last gig

Absolute brinksmanship getting played by the elite clubs. This is footballs version of the Cuban Missile Crisis. This one might not end as amicably though...

Apparently outlining the actions currently being taken to stop this. Sounds like it will be an interesting statement.
I'm not sure what government action would/could look like but at least they've acted fairly swiftly unlike the 14 EPL clubs putting off their meeting

Hinting of playing a weekend team for domestic won’t wash with the support who pay their hard earned for ST’s,merchandise and the likes and nor should it.Absolutely pathetic.
The Chinese guy on his couch doesn't give a %^*& about domestic football.
If we were ever to be involved in something like this I wouldn't be back through the door.
You'd be right to. Anyone in favour of it would be the first one bawling their eyes out and complaining about how hard done by it they are when we later become FC Rangers of New York.

FIFA and UEFA could stop this in an instant.
Just tell any footballer involved that they will never be permitted to play in FIFA and UEFA major tournaments and the ban is for life and if the member association also go along with this threat, then even top players will find that their careers are stymied to the years they are able to last in these elite sides and that the recognition of international football is also denied to them.

However, you just know that individual figures inside FIFA and UEFA will be bunged the brown envelopes necessary to compromise them.
The game has been bereft of principled guardians for decades.

FIFA and UEFA could stop this in an instant.
Just tell any footballer involved that they will never be permitted to play in FIFA and UEFA major tournaments and the ban is for life and if the member association also go along with this threat, then even top players will find that their careers are stymied to the years they are able to last in these elite sides and that the recognition of international football is also denied to them.

However, you just know that individual figures inside FIFA and UEFA will be bunged the brown envelopes necessary to compromise them.
The game has been bereft of principled guardians for decades.
What's to stop them setting up their 'own' international football with the players in their league?

Would be the ultimate GIRFUY to the SPFL after 2012.

It’s not worth that. Regardless of the injustices inflicted on us, it’s not worth us participating in this monstrosity.

I suspect we’d all continue to follow on regardless of where Rangers played....but really, can anyone honestly they’d embrace seeing our team in this ?

We play for the glory, we exist to win trophies. Always have done. That will cease to be the case the day we get into bed with these people

Sure they’ll drop the idea now

Back