European Super League Officially Announced - All Comments In This Thread - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Spurs & Chelsea all out of it

I've been working long hours today and trying to catch up.

Is it the case then that this new ESL will be financed by mega bucks from TV rights in the far east and around the world but as the clubs are likely to no longer to play in domestic leagues, the only games that will have fans (because of boycotts) will be those left behind in domestic leagues. Are the FA, La Liga, Serie A going to bar the clubs involved. Oh and does that leave 6 empty berths in the EPL
No it’s JP Morgan who are funding it and the rest so basically the money from champions league currently

If the players are as against this as most seem to think, won't this cost the clubs a fortune in reduced fees in the fire sale for want away players who refuse to play in the new set up.

Mmmm. The players and managers have to make a stand here at some point. They either support their clubs owners or they don't. They are the representatives of those owners, whether that's fair or not.

Completely correct.

The players and staff don’t get to enjoy a bond with supporters when everything’s going great and they are winning trophies.

It’s their job to maintain that bond and show respect to their supporters when things aren’t going well too.

All these twitter accounts often talk shit. But then again:

1tMWt4cjqC0aknVZpfPsoPn6xHlmNiB3.jpg
Nah it seems that a few clubs have been clear that they need to go

Spent the last couple of hours reading up on this and it seems that the vast majority are (rightly in my opinion) very strongly opposed to the closed shop invitation only set up.

What are the good Bears on FF"s opinions on it if there was a second tier with another 20 clubs including Rangers in it, with promotion and relegation at both ends of the structure?

Personally I hate the provincial hate filled hacking is good bastard abomination of a league that we're stuck in and would love to properly mix it up with the big clubs on a more regular basis.

The more I think/ read about this the more I really dont know how it'll play out. It was always going to be pushed harder one way or another, but the way its come out is a PR disaster and the backlash is massive, but its hard to figure out what that will actually achieve. I could see these clubs off on their own , disowned by uefa/ fifa etc and within a couple of years its a world super league with asian and north american clubs involved.

Will the domestic leagues be happy to see their tv revenues drop dramatically?

Not sure it’s a given they will be booted out.
On the other hand the Premier league could be in a situation where 3/4 teams could be in contention to win the league right up to the last couple of games if the big 6 got punted I've no interest in English football right now but I think that would grab people like myself interest in it again

Completely integrated English and Scottish league, Rangers and Celtic into the EPL, rest of top 6 as it stands into championship, with 4 Championship sides promoted. The rest of the Scottish dross into the bottom tiers or stay where they are as a regional league (with access to the big leagues, obviously just to make sure it passes IAATP’s muster, a guarantee that the pyramid remains integral!

Spent the last couple of hours reading up on this and it seems that the vast majority are (rightly in my opinion) very strongly opposed to the closed shop invitation only set up.

What are the good Bears on FF"s opinions on it if there was a second tier with another 20 clubs including Rangers in it, with promotion and relegation at both ends of the structure?

Personally I hate the provincial hate filled hacking is good bastard abomination of a league that we're stuck in and would love to properly mix it up with the big clubs on a more regular basis.

See if they had a real euro league, with say 40-60 clubs split over 2/3 divisions with a realistic chance of getting to the one above and promotion/relegation it might be palatable.

also don't forget.................the governments have the power to shut down stadium i mean they have the power to ban fans from attending games due to a virus then.........you know

So next steps of the separatists given the people behind it are pure moneymen. I’ll chuck some ideas in the hat.
  • Invite other clubs by initially expanding the top tier for more invites and fixed members. Follow up with formation of a second league with promotion to top tier of lowest non original member club being relegated?
  • A Russian team is offered to join as an original member. Putin comes out stating his support and assistance for this. GazProm then say to UEFA they want to sponsor both leagues and if they dont agree then they will drop UEFA completely.
  • UEFA back down and a cascade of other sponsors follow suit.
  • Super league offer countries to bid for final, followed quickly by semi and then quarter finals?
  • 15 minute breaks in games for commercials are added?

Like a couple of other posters, I still don’t see this actually happening.

Money can only go so far, and not every player is money motivated so if some of the bigger stars speak out and put pressure on their boards then it could be stopped.

Milner and Fernandes have already done it, the silence from others is concerning. Liverpool owners leaving Klopp and the players to take the flack is bang out.

UEFA and FIFA ban will stand up as its their competition. You have to be registered to play. They dont have to register players from a rival league / competition
That’s exactly why it won’t stand up. In doing that they would be trying to prevent anyone from setting up a rival tournament to compete with theirs to preserve their monopoly and their revenue stream. That is illegal. Also you are banning players. Employees rights are sacrosanct in the EU. They won’t stand for that.

There are reports the ESL has already filed court actions to stop UEFA. Not sure how true that is, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Like a couple of other posters, I still don’t see this actually happening.

Money can only go so far, and not every player is money motivated so if some of the bigger stars speak out and put pressure on their boards then it could be stopped.

Milner and Fernandes have already done it, the silence from others is concerning. Liverpool owners leaving Klopp and the players to take the flack is bang out.
It’s already happened mate, I didn’t realise that resignations from Uefa/Fifa were made and that this is pretty much good to go for September with Covid being the cause of it!

Just a question of figuring out how to punish m/finish the season and international players etc, but the fact that they FiFa have said players will be banned from the euros etc then that’s how far done the line it is

Its a good question. Was thinking earlier, seen as the germans and allegedly porto/ ajax/psg have not signed up, its not inconceivable at some point they could come knocking on our door to make up the numbers if enough clubs ahead in the queue knock them back. And then we'd have a decision to make.
Always thought we missed a trick with the atlantic league - not necessarily as a full time league but maybe as a cup competition, guaranteed 6-10 fixtures in that with a reduction in domestic fixtures. Would have suited us and the big clubs in the countries involved but how do you make up the games/ revenue for other clubs in the country who dont qualify?
I wouldnt want us to be involved in a breakaway, I think its got to be a meritocracy. Even for the selfish reasons of a fairer distribution of the wealth.

“It is a new format that will sustain the drama, passion and most importantly, the unpredictability that is the lifeblood of our sport,”

So no relegation will sustain unpredictability??? Arseholes.
No the second suspense will be what mls or Chinese team gets a wildcard or they might even have random wildcard weekends where we get to play 45 minutes and the peados the second 45

Dont back doon. Double doon.

Apologies for caps its the translation from twitter.

"You have to MAKE PROFITABLE income by making MORE COMPETITIVE GAMES"

FLORENTINO PÉREZ, EXCLUSIVELY with @jpedrerol on #ChiringuitoFlorentino

It’s already happened mate, I didn’t realise that resignations from Uefa/Fifa were made and that this is pretty much good to go for September with Covid being the cause of it!

Just a question of figuring out how to punish m/finish the season and international players etc, but the fact that they FiFa have said players will be banned from the euros etc then that’s how far done the line it is
I will be surprised if a game is ever played in it, mate.

Perhaps I am just an optimist though!.

“Exceed fan expectations: “Our aim is to deliver to fans the best football possible while providing access for qualifying clubs to ensure the vibrancy of the competition and to maintain a strong commitment to the principle of sporting merit.””.

This is a league format where ultimately nothing matters. Teams like Spurs and Arsenal can and will be whipping boys for eternity, but they’ll be bringing in money. Where is the vibrancy or sporting merit?

Dont back doon. Double doon.

Apologies for caps its the translation from twitter.

"You have to MAKE PROFITABLE income by making MORE COMPETITIVE GAMES"

FLORENTINO PÉREZ, EXCLUSIVELY with @jpedrerol on #ChiringuitoFlorentino
:))

“Super League solidarity payments will
grow automatically with overall league revenues and will be more than three times higher than payments coming from the current European championship.”

That's already been proven to be bullshît from the start.

“Exceed fan expectations: “Our aim is to deliver to fans the best football possible while providing access for qualifying clubs to ensure the vibrancy of the competition and to maintain a strong commitment to the principle of sporting merit.””.

This is a league format where ultimately nothing matters. Teams like Spurs and Arsenal can and will be whipping boys for eternity, but they’ll be bringing in money. Where is the vibrancy or sporting merit?
There is none

That’s exactly why it won’t stand up. In doing that they would be trying to prevent anyone from setting up a rival tournament to compete with theirs to preserve their monopoly and their revenue stream. That is illegal. Also you are banning players. Employees rights are sacrosanct in the EU. They won’t stand for that.

There are reports the ESL has already filed court actions to stop UEFA. Not sure how true that is, but it wouldn’t surprise me.
They arent stopping them setting up a rival competition they can if they want but they wont be allowed to play in FIFA or UEFA competitions. Its not illegal. If they arent registered with them then they cant play. There are different darts associations. Players dont demand to play in one association if they are members of another.
End of day its UEFA and FIFA competitions they decide who gets to play in them.

On the other hand the Premier league could be in a situation where 3/4 teams could be in contention to win the league right up to the last couple of games if the big 6 got punted I've no interest in English football right now but I think that would grab people like myself interest in it again

Maybe, but can’t see them getting what they get now, these clubs will have to reduce their wage bill.

Could be good for us as levels the playing field a bit.

But I’m not sure they’d carry out this threat when push comes to shove, they will be fairly keen to keep their massively lucrative tv deals.

It's a pity they never had Roy Keane and Souness on Sky Sports tonight as well. They could've made it PPV and coined it in!

I still can't believe we're watching all of this unfold the way it has.

The fact that the managers/players had no idea about it until yesterday is mental. This group of owners have shown a complete disregard for not only the fans, but their employees who make the clubs successful.

I hope Gerrard goes to town on this tomorrow.
Ill be pretty disappointed if he doesn't. Literally no one is held in higher regard at Liverpool than Gerrard and his voice is important well beyond our borders. Him going to town on this would be bigger than anything Neville and Carragher have said. My only worry is that he will want to tone it down a bit because he is still active in the game.

Ill be surprised if he doesnt though, his whole upbringing and his whole football life has been about the communities, history and tradition of the clubs he has represented.

It would be good to see more from Souness and Sir Alex as well.

Back