European Super League Officially Announced - All Comments In This Thread - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Spurs & Chelsea all out of it

Stop spending money you don’t have then you utter cock. I take great pleasure In the fact bud galactico project of the early 00s was a complete failure.

The stupid thing about this statement is the games won’t be competitive in the slightest.

It takes a special kind of moron to be publicly crying about this 18 months after spunking £100m+ and £400k p/w on Eden Hazard for no tangible benefit.

new look champions league next season.
EzV_s9-VkAQxMAf

Stop spending money you don’t have then you utter cock. I take great pleasure In the fact bud galactico project of the early 00s was a complete failure.

The stupid thing about this statement is the games won’t be competitive in the slightest.

Whoever briefs this idiot before he speaks to the press must be the worst PR strategist in the world.

Real Madrid moaning about finances, gies fucking peace.

Completely integrated English and Scottish league, Rangers and Celtic into the EPL, rest of top 6 as it stands into championship, with 4 Championship sides promoted. The rest of the Scottish dross into the bottom tiers or stay where they are as a regional league (with access to the big leagues, obviously just to make sure it passes IAATP’s muster, a guarantee that the pyramid remains integral!

It's a nice idea - a British league format would make for good viewing and us in the top division would possibly appeal to the EPL bigwigs from a commercial perspective if they are indeed forced to go it alone without their big 6.

But, even if it was proposed and passed by the epl / efl, you can bet our very own Scottish government would find a way to block it (on the assumption that the nats retain power in a few weeks time, which sadly seems likely despite how absolutely incompetent they are).

There's no way Sturgeon allows professional Scottish football to jump into bed with their English counterparts when her very reason for existence is to separate from the rest of the UK for keeps. And the SFA would undoubtedly dance to her tune like most other organisations in this increasingly messed up country seem to. So I just can't see it happening I'm afraid - too many political hurdles.

As for tonight's viewing - well played Jamie Carragher and especially Gary Neville. Articulate, passionate and hard to disagree with a single word either of them said. These 2 are obviously well up for the fight, as are most fans of the clubs in question. Let's hope that for the good of football, managers and players will follow their lead and create a real stron opposition movement that might just be able to stop this in its tracks.

That’s exactly why it won’t stand up. In doing that they would be trying to prevent anyone from setting up a rival tournament to compete with theirs to preserve their monopoly and their revenue stream. That is illegal. Also you are banning players. Employees rights are sacrosanct in the EU. They won’t stand for that.

There are reports the ESL has already filed court actions to stop UEFA. Not sure how true that is, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

But they aren't stopping players earning or working, only from competing in their competitions.

Like a couple of other posters, I still don’t see this actually happening.

Money can only go so far, and not every player is money motivated so if some of the bigger stars speak out and put pressure on their boards then it could be stopped.

Milner and Fernandes have already done it, the silence from others is concerning. Liverpool owners leaving Klopp and the players to take the flack is bang out.
Yup, I can see City buckling with Chelsea following quickly & the U.K. government essentially squashing any chance of the other clubs doing it.

Whoever briefs this idiot before he speaks to the press must be the worst PR strategist in the world.

He doesn’t get briefed he is just a rich bad businessman somehow who has managed to force a change that will change football forever

Newsnight there (sorry if this is old news) 15 clubs will be permanent members not able to be relegated. 5 teams will qualify (presumably the winners of the 5 big domestic leagues) except UEFA won't allow teams to promote and relegate from their set up so I don't see how the qualification can work. Unless UEFA go bust, the ESL will need far more than 20 clubs on board

To be fair, the conversation probably goes

“Listen sir, you shouldn’t say that

Nahhhhh, it’ll be sound wait and see”

I honestly want Barca and Real to die. Two clubs that are already Americanised franchises, think the football world should be on their knees at their feet, utterly consumed by their own self importance and are absolute tourist traps at the best of times. UEFA/FIFA, sky sports and the other clubs are one thing with the damage they've done to the game, but i truly believe these two are deeper in it than the rest by miles.

I honestly despise the pair of them.

Yup, I can see City buckling with Chelsea following quickly & the U.K. government essentially squashing any chance of the other clubs doing it.
Abramovich? Giving a %^*& about Bojo! Really!

They are not going to stop them because legally they can’t! Which is why Uefas head man was screaming for the fans to help stop it

That’s exactly why it won’t stand up. In doing that they would be trying to prevent anyone from setting up a rival tournament to compete with theirs to preserve their monopoly and their revenue stream. That is illegal. Also you are banning players. Employees rights are sacrosanct in the EU. They won’t stand for that.

There are reports the ESL has already filed court actions to stop UEFA. Not sure how true that is, but it wouldn’t surprise me.
Its UEFA competition for members. If clubs break away they won't be members anymore.

FIFA or UEFA wouldn't be stopping the ESL from holding their own WC for instance.

It's same as most competitions world wide, I can't just rock up to my local golf club and demand to play in their competitions despite not being a member.

It's a nice idea - a British league format would make for good viewing and us in the top division would possibly appeal to the EPL bigwigs from a commercial perspective if they are indeed forced to go it alone without their big 6.

But, even if it was proposed and passed by the epl / efl, you can bet our very own Scottish government would find a way to block it (on the assumption that the nats retain power in a few weeks time, which sadly seems likely despite how absolutely incompetent they are).

There's no way Sturgeon allows professional Scottish football to jump into bed with their English counterparts when her very reason for existence is to separate from the rest of the UK for keeps. And the SFA would undoubtedly dance to her tune like most other organisations in this increasingly messed up country seem to. So I just can't see it happening I'm afraid - too many political hurdles.

As for tonight's viewing - well played Jamie Carragher and especially Gary Neville. Articulate, passionate and hard to disagree with a single word either of them said. These 2 are obviously well up for the fight, as are most fans of the clubs in question. Let's hope that for the good of football, managers and players will follow their lead and create a real stron opposition movement that might just be able to stop this in its tracks.

Pissing off both halves of the old firm can’t be much of a vote winner.

Here goes my prediction for what will happen.

1. European Super League will be scrapped
2. UEFA will shit the bed and allow these so called big clubs guaranteed access to the champions league no matter where they finish in their national league.
3. These clubs will also get a massive payment each season just for being there.

Completely integrated English and Scottish league, Rangers and Celtic into the EPL, rest of top 6 as it stands into championship, with 4 Championship sides promoted. The rest of the Scottish dross into the bottom tiers or stay where they are as a regional league (with access to the big leagues, obviously just to make sure it passes IAATP’s muster, a guarantee that the pyramid remains integral!
A reduced EPL might be interested in our fan base. Unlikely that they would invite any more than us and the bheggars (and even that is still unlikely). Certainly nobody beyond Hearts Hibs and the sheep regardless of SPFL league positions. Nobody else in Scotland gets a regular crowd over 10K

The 14 clubs voting to eject these clubs from the league won’t meet the 75% threshold required for it but when the esl clubs request the chance to join it the EPL rejecting their request will mean they’re out.

They arent stopping them setting up a rival competition they can if they want but they wont be allowed to play in FIFA or UEFA competitions. Its not illegal. If they arent registered with them then they cant play. There are different darts associations. Players dont demand to play in one association if they are members of another.
End of day its UEFA and FIFA competitions they decide who gets to play in them.
Firstly UEFA have said they want to stop this. Secondly why are they banning the players then? To try and stop them playing in the rival competition so it doesn’t succeed. It is artificially trying to restrict the ability of the new competition to attract employees. It is illegal in the EU and probably the UK. UEFA have a monopoly and this would be abuse of a dominant market position.

I've been working long hours today and trying to catch up.

Is it the case then that this new ESL will be financed by mega bucks from TV rights in the far east and around the world but as the clubs are likely to no longer to play in domestic leagues, the only games that will have fans (because of boycotts) will be those left behind in domestic leagues. Are the FA, La Liga, Serie A going to bar the clubs involved. Oh and does that leave 6 empty berths in the EPL
If they bar Real, Barca, ManU, Milan Juve then TV rights for those leagues will sink which makes it tricky especially on the back of pandemic.

Tbh not sure it will affect Scotland as much as English premier as we don’t have dosh in our game. We’re more or less geared to Europa League as it is.

Reckon this will go ahead and the interest will be in who the 5 ‘other’ clubs are who get in on an annual basis. Could be league winners from Holland, Portugal, Russia, Turkey, 2nd in France for example. If these leagues said we’re not playing ball that would be good.

The alternative CL on the Swiss model is such a crock of Shiite that will make the ESL look half decent unfortunately.

The Perez rant in full

“The biggest clubs in England, Spain and Italy have to give a solution to the bad financial situation of the game... we reached the conclusion that doing a Superleague instead of Champions we could get back some of the money we lost because of the pandemic. We have to raise more money organising more competitive games”

“Football has changed... interest was being lost as audiences were going down, and the TV rights also being reduced. Something had to change. And the pandemic told us, ‘do it now’ We are all close to bankruptcy 40% of young people have got no interest in football”

“Football has to adapt to make this game more attractive to the world. In the 50s, it was a similar situation. UEFA and FIFA went against the new European Cup, but that competition changed football. We are doing this to save football”

“What is the world asking for? Singapur, China, and so many other places. What gives money are the big games. And that game goes everywhere. If the top gets money, it gets distributed by buying players or giving solidarity payments”

Utterly despicable, full of lies and sheer hubris. Scumbag.

Edit: theres more

“We have never thought of a fully closed league. It is not true. But what gives money is the big games. And we will be distributing that money (more than UEFA gets)”

“UEFA is a monopoly and should be more open... Football is in a very difficult situation and we could save it that way Legally we will go as far as needed Footballers can be calm because it will not happen (being kicked out of competitions)”

“All we have done is a public note to start talking (to UEFA) We don’t think the new CL format will work. Nobody does. And they want to start it in 2024! And clubs will be dead by then!”

A reduced EPL might be interested in our fan base. Unlikely that they would invite any more than us and the bheggars (and even that is still unlikely). Certainly nobody beyond Hearts Hibs and the sheep regardless of SPFL league positions. Nobody else in Scotland gets a regular crowd over 10K
They might if they had more income and better teams

Why? 12 clubs are wanting to leave one organisation and move to another!

legally there is nothing that can be done which is why the government’s statement today was hot air
UEFA/FIFA are under no obligation to let everyone play in their competitions though.

As for the Government, if they feel that it’s in their best interest, they can and will change laws to suit.

Nothing is off the table here.

Back