3 Legends We Got From St Johnstone

MO_TxTruBlu

Tommy Cairns,
475 Games for Rangers 1913-27.
Played over 200 games for both William Wilton and Bill Struth.
Won 7 League Championship Titles. Captained Rangers.

Jimmy Fleming
278 Games, 231Goals.
One of our greatest Goal scorers ever, particularly when you consider he often played as a winger.
Still holds many Scottish cup records (44 Goals in total, 9 goals in a single game)
Won 7 League Championship Titles.

Alex MacDonald
Over 500 appearances for Rangers 1968-80
Considered by many as our best pound for pound value signing ever.
3 League Championships, 4 Scottish Cups and 4 League Cups.

3 legends, no doubt.

Not quite the same, but Ally starting there maybe worth throwing in, and the great captain Tommy Muirhead went there after he ended his Rangers career to become their manager. I think he still has the best win record of any manager in their history.

3 legends, no doubt.

Not quite the same, but Ally starting there maybe worth throwing in, and the great captain Tommy Muirhead went there after he ended his Rangers career to become their manager. I think he still has the best win record of any manager in their history.
Yes of course, and if we are talking St Johnstone managers with Rangers connections, then one has to include Bobby Brown who managed St johnstone (1958-67), which saw him become the first full-time Scotland manager in 1967. He was also the first manager to be given full authority to pick the National team, which had previously been controlled by a Scottish Football Association committee. His first international match as manager was a 3–2 victory over the 1966 world champions England at Wembley

3 legends, no doubt.

Ally knocked us back for the glamours of Sunderland.

should have bought super from there.

maybe he was ill advised to go South, we will never know.

Yes of course, and if we are talking St Johnstone managers with Rangers connections, then one has to include Bobby Brown who managed St johnstone (1958-67), which saw him become the first full-time Scotland manager in 1967. He was also the first manager to be given full authority to pick the National team, which had previously been controlled by a Scottish Football Association committee. His first international match as manager was a 3–2 victory over the 1966 world champions England at Wembley

Alex Totten as well. Albeit lower-key, but with his place in Rangers history - absolutely.

Tommy Cairns,

Jimmy Fleming
278 Games, 231Goals.
One of our greatest Goal scorers ever, particularly when you consider he often played as a winger.
Still holds many Scottish cup records (44 Goals in total, 9 goals in a single game)

Alex MacDonald
A wee medal won in Barcelona too, missing from Doddies list.

Tommy Cairns,

Jimmy Fleming
278 Games, 231Goals.

Alex MacDonald
A certain Big omission from Alex MacDonald's list of honours

I read Alex MacDonald's autobiography a few years ago, and enjoyed reading about him. Had he been playing today I think he'd be my favourite player.

Tommy Cairns,

Jimmy Fleming
278 Games, 231Goals.

Alex MacDonald
A slight omission from Doddies CV

John was unlucky in that he was playing with average to mediocre players. I know Jock Wallace thought highly of John. I'm probably biased though as I know him very well.
The way your saying that is if he was great .
He had mccoist, russell, cooper, prytz for a start.
Way of the mark mate imo.
He did nothing after leave Rangers and his career was finished in his late 20s.

The way your saying that is if he was great .
He had mccoist, russell, cooper, prytz for a start.
Way of the mark mate imo.
He did nothing after leave Rangers and his career was finished in his late 20s.
He was anything but great but he was a bit unlucky during his time at the club. And you're right he did nothing after Rangers, no argument there.

He was needed, i never took to John Mcdonald nor was clark or mitchell very good.
Totally agree, Cark....( a puffing hoofer)just made me wince, how Mitchell ever got a game still baffles me and MacDonald..just flattered to deceive and eventually disappeared, last saw him "playing" for Fort William! Bottom Highland League.

Tommy Cairns,

Jimmy Fleming
278 Games, 231Goals.

Alex MacDonald
Alex Macdonald is my favourite Rangers player that I didn’t see playing live!

Despite Fleming's record for us over nine years, the only Scotland Caps that he won in his career were the three from his time with St Johnstone.

Despite Fleming's record for us over nine years, the only Scotland Caps that he won in his career were the three from his time with St Johnstone.

Not sure where you are getting that from, but Jimmy Fleming was most definitely a Rangers player when he won his 3 Caps (1929-30).
He was the first Scottish Center Forward to score for Scotland at Wembley in 1930, and is one of only 2 Rangers players who can claim a brace at Wembley against the English.

Took us 3 attempts to sign Ally.
Can remember saying to the old man, get him tae feck, nobody knocks back the Rangers.
I was about 23 at the time.
I was of the same view at the time. If I’d been the manager he would never have got a third chance. Shows what I know about football.

I was of the same view at the time. If I’d been the manager he would never have got a third chance. Shows what I know about football.
Well, some of us didn't forget that Rangers were NOT his first Choice....Sunderland just didn't fancy him anymore and a Rangers side at odds grabbed him,for whatever reason he preferred f*cken Sunderland to Rangers, lets just say it was about the money

Hail fellow well met and patter merchant extraordinaire and all that glib stuff. Cant to be only Gers follower who didn't/doesn't adore or even like "Super Ally", sure he scored a lot of goals and missed as many again, any Rangers #9 in that era would have scored(lots).

Biggest gripe was discovering he was on close to a Million a year as Manager in bottom tier and on their beam ends, he was well in with a succession of well dodgy "owners" and still owns substantial shares, worse, pretending he din't know/care what his salary he was on while accepting a reduced wage packet...more recently listening to him almost grovel to that plonker Sutton is stomach churning. Hunts with the Hounds and runs with the Hares does Alistair....imho...

Reactions: SDR
He was lucky he got another chance to sign.
Spot on...when I hear him B.S. about his love an adoration for his "boyhood" team...some of us still clearly recall what actually happened..he preferred Sunderland..I mean Sunderland! He's no sacred anything to me.

Well, some of us didn't forget that Rangers were NOT his first Choice....Sunderland just didn't fancy him anymore and a Rangers side at odds grabbed him,for whatever reason he preferred f*cken Sunderland to Rangers, lets just say it was about the money

Hail fellow well met and patter merchant extraordinaire and all that glib stuff. Cant to be only Gers follower who didn't/doesn't adore or even like "Super Ally", sure he scored a lot of goals and missed as many again, any Rangers #9 in that era would have scored(lots).

Biggest gripe was discovering he was on close to a Million a year as Manager in bottom tier and on their beam ends, he was well in with a succession of well dodgy "owners" and still owns substantial shares, worse, pretending he din't know/care what his salary he was on while accepting a reduced wage packet...more recently listening to him almost grovel to that plonker Sutton is stomach churning. Hunts with the Hounds and runs with the Hares does Alistair....imho...
A lot of fair points there especially the wages / shares.
If your 15 years at a club like Rangers, with a lot of great and even world class players around, you will score goals.
1981 and the end soured it, in between was fine in my book.

Used to go home at lunchtime from the secondary school and would always listen to jimmy sanderson with the sports at say 12.30.
It seemeda lifetime of will he sign for Rangers or not, this circa 1981.

A lot of fair points there especially the wages / shares.
If your 15 years at a club like Rangers, with a lot of great and even world class players around, you will score goals.
1981 and the end soured it, in between was fine in my book.
Pretty much how I see it too...

A slight omission from Doddies CV
Doddie was a tremendous signing, quietly keeping things ticking over, there were a few like that around seventies/eighties. Willie Mathieson and Davie Smith and few others come to mind. One signing we missed from S.J that really grieved me was John Connolly who they were very interested in but couldn't compete with English 1st division prices/wages (so what else is new). As I recall went to Everton. Tremendous player we missed out on...there have been a few.

He was anything but great but he was a bit unlucky during his time at the club. And you're right he did nothing after Rangers, no argument there.
The downturn in his career after he left us was baffling. He was outstanding for us when he broke through but it tailed off fairly quickly. Did he not have a back injury that severely hampered his career?

Tommy Cairns,

Jimmy Fleming
278 Games, 231Goals.

Alex MacDonald
Great info, thanks for sharing

The downturn in his career after he left us was baffling. He was outstanding for us when he broke through but it tailed off fairly quickly. Did he not have a back injury that severely hampered his career?
He was certainly hampered by injuries, and you are right, he seemed destined for great things, as you say it petered out very quickly....questions and and answers I can only surmise, Lifestyle among them.

It worked well for both parties.

Wow, that's big of you. Is that the view you take on all our great signings or is it specifically him?

Brian Laudrup? Aye, it worked well for both parties. Any world class winger could have did what he did in that era. Bitter nonsense, the guy scored 350+ goals for the club you support yet you and that tube above can't bring yourself to praise him for it unless it's through gritted teeth. How do people get so bitter or take football so seriously that perceived slights from 40 years ago still eat away at them? I genuinely don't understand it.

He was certainly hampered by injuries, and you are right, he seemed destined for great things, as you say it petered out very quickly....questions and and answers I can only surmise, Lifestyle among them.
I was always puzzled as to why John MacDonald never went all the way to the top as I played against him as a schoolboy and he was brilliant.
He was the leading light in the Scotland under 15s schoolboy team in 1976.
I think it was a question of physical presence or rather lack of it.
As a teenager he was fast and knew where the goal was but as he got older he didn't have the core strength to hold off defenders in the way that a top striker needs to in the pro game.

Last edited:
Wow, that's big of you. Is that the view you take on all our great signings or is it specifically him?

Brian Laudrup? Aye, it worked well for both parties. Any world class winger could have did what he did in that era. Bitter nonsense, the guy scored 350+ goals for the club you support yet you and that tube above can't bring yourself to praise him for it unless it's through gritted teeth. How do people get so bitter or take football so seriously that perceived slights from 40 years ago still eat away at them? I genuinely don't understand it.
Were no talking about Brian Laudrup.

I was always puzzled as to why John MacDonald never went all the way to the top as I played against him as a schoolboy and he was brilliant.
He was the leading light in the Scotland under 15s schoolboy team in 1976.
I think it was a question of physical presence or rather lack of it.
As a teenager he was fast and knew where the goal was but as he got older he didn't have the core strength to hold off defenders in the way that a top striker needs to in the pro game.
Yes, that's true, he was "slight" plenty of his build were a success but he got some clobbering that he just didn't recover from. Personally played Highland League in 70's as a teen, got seriously clobbered by older ex-pros who s"sorted you out if you skinned them" the name Eddie Mulhearn,a genuine thug, still makes me shudder, quit young just missed too much time off work injured....you may well be right, injuries hammered him and the punishment got to him.As you said when he appeared "Solo" as I recall they called him,was brilliant, Gers answer to Goby Charlie Nick... there was one game , was it Dryborough Cup? he scored an unbelievable goal. No question in my mind, a huge talent who didn't for whatever reason last the distance.

I did say he was a Real Legend, which he is for scoring all of those goals.

One of the things that intrigues me is that I was never aware of lifestyle issues - which is usually the drink in Scotland.

A very good friend of mine (Thistle fan, dislikes us and them equally) taught his lad. Could not have spoken more highly of the lad, but also spoke very highly of John himself. I think John got involved with coaching the school team for a year or three but I am not sure about that. However my friend was desperate to have me believe that John had an on going back issue that limited his career. Which I think illustrates that John was a nice man who impressed my friend.
Whatever happened I still find it hard to believe that the brilliant wee player for us was so soon at Scarborough or whoever!

One of the things that intrigues me is that I was never aware of lifestyle issues - which is usually the drink in Scotland.

A very good friend of mine (Thistle fan, dislikes us and them equally) taught his lad. Could not have spoken more highly of the lad, but also spoke very highly of John himself. I think John got involved with coaching the school team for a year or three but I am not sure about that. However my friend was desperate to have me believe that John had an on going back issue that limited his career. Which I think illustrates that John was a nice man who impressed my friend.
Whatever happened I still find it hard to believe that the brilliant wee player for us was so soon at Scarborough or whoever!
Well, on reflection, my loose comment "Lifestyle" sounded incriminating. Was talking of my own experience, playing injured, hobbling and off work, feeling low and worse to come. It was playing or my work and a reality .Nobody ever mentioned drink, to me, regarding J.M.D. Saw him as already posted at Fort William, looked like he was stiff and carrying injuries..but still could play..a bit less. but you are right, it's where the mind leaps with my careless wording.

J.MD. Quiet and unassuming,can't say I knew him personally. Jus tin the passing, plenty players in the game in the passing with similar stories, only he was a cut above the most likely to become Top Notch and for a time he was, disappointing, how things panned out for him.

Injuries(constant) changes minds and attitudes, not to even mention ability. Game has improved immensely, in terms of protection. I'm in NO doubt J.M.D was targeted for roughing up, today protection the point of sickening criminal , hoaxing of Refs of an injury with screams an yowls. He'd be grand today, his style of play reminded me of Raul...at RM.

That simply didn't matter in J.M.D's day,hammered, ref blew whistle (occasionally) and defender was a venerated "hard man",who sorted him out, much later it was Ian Durrant, to a thug who could play a bit, never apologised, sure he came back..but not the same, dare I say it John Kennedy, career over in a "friendly" when hacked down, but.... it wears some players down, good old days, my arse for the talented without muscle. Souness set a standard...talent and muscle a bit later, the bully boys on the wane.

It would be foolish of anyone to say J.M.D wasn't successful...was it a double in S'C Final against D.United? More medals and memories and appearances than pillows of dreams I had.

Last edited:
Not sure where you are getting that from, but Jimmy Fleming was most definitely a Rangers player when he won his 3 Caps (1929-30).
He was the first Scottish Center Forward to score for Scotland at Wembley in 1930, and is one of only 2 Rangers players who can claim a brace at Wembley against the English.
And who was the other one? I have a vague memory of a skinny young rascal who played there in 1963....

Back