Brandon Barker
Jordan Jones
Jamie Barjonas
Jermain Defoe
Glenn Middleton
Lewis Mayo
Bongani Zungu (no loan or buy)
Jake Hastie (still 2-years in deal)

Also likely that Edmundson and / or Katic will go out on loan with one of them succeeding the Balogun role the following season.

I have a feeling also that failure to qualify for UCL Group stages could see Morelos away, but I think he will stay if we progress, such is his ambition.

Our midfield looks a bit weak now, but with a relatively ‘untried’ Nnamdi Ofobohr coming in, and hopefully a cured Ryan Jack to bolster the middle of the park, things look a bit better, but I still think we need another potential starter in there, as Arfield has peaked and Aribo better off higher up pitch.

I reckon we may be in the market for another striker to replace Defoe’s squad role or potential Morelos sale, and one more in midfield.

If I was being greedy, and in a ‘utopian’ world, Billy Gilmour on loan (possible if we make UCL?), Andreas Skov Olsen for pace and left balance, and a striker, which I think we would be in great shape, without a huge net spend.

Last edited:
I think a lot will hinge on CL qualification and offers for our best players, if they come in. Slavia (scum) are an indicator of the level of team we will need to get past to qualify so it isn't a given but, if we could, it would put us in a great place.

We know our best players are being scouted regularly and we will deal with offers if they come in but every player has a price.

Ultimately I don't think we need to change much. We have decent strength in every position although, we have seen with injuries to Aribo, Arfield and Jack, the one area we could do with more depth is in the middle. We simply cannot put the same burden of games on Davis again next season.

Likely we'll need one significant player sale and will need to bring in one reliable midfielder. And trim the squad a little.

Depends who goes out. As it stands I’d say the first area to strengthen is midfield as we have an aging Davis, injury troubled Jack and Arfield also not getting younger.

Id not say Defoe, Jones or Stewart need replaced. We have Morelos, roofe, itten, Aribo, hagi, Kent, Wright.

Centre half is probably the next area to strengthen, even though I love Goldson and Helander, more pace would make us a better side.

Surely only on a pay as he plays basis, could not justify a weekly wage of his scale for the contribution to the team? As much as I love the guy

Being brutally honest, we could have coped without him this season in my opinion, and next year sees him older and unlikely to play
Has any player ever had a pay as you play contract?

Depends who goes out. As it stands I’d say the first area to strengthen is midfield as we have an aging Davis, injury troubled Jack and Arfield also not getting younger.

Id not say Defoe, Jones or Stewart need replaced. We have Morelos, roofe, itten, Aribo, hagi, Kent, Wright.

Centre half is probably the next area to strengthen, even though I love Goldson and Helander, more pace would make us a better side.
It will be interesting to see how Katic comes back and whether Edmunson has a future with us. I'm not sold on Balogun, he has that extra bit of pace but I always feel there's a bombscare moment in him.

Looks like the following will depart, freeing up some wages:

Greg Stewart
Brandon Barker
Jordan Jones
Jermain Defoe
Greg Middleton
Mayo

Also likely that Edmundson and / or Katic will go out on loan with one of them succeeding Balogun role the following season.

I have a feeling also that failure to qualify for UCL Group stages could see Morelos away, but I think he will stay if we progress, such is his ambition.

Our midfield looks a bit weak now, but with a relatively ‘untried’ Nnamdi Ofobohr coming in, and hopefully a cured Ryan Jack to bolster the middle of the park, things look a bit better, but I still think we need another potential starter in there, as Arfield has peaked and Aribo better off higher up pitch.

I reckon we may be in the market for another striker to replace Defoe’s squad role or potential Morelos sale, and one more in midfield.

If I was being greedy, and in a ‘utopian’ world, Billy Gilmour on loan (possible if we make UCL?), Andreas Skov Olsen for pace and left balance, and a striker, which I think we would be in great shape, without a huge net spend.

Don't disagree with any of that mate and whilst some will turn their noses up, Gilmour is a good shout.

Another who I really like, is David McGoldrick of Sheffield Utd. I know many will tell me 'we won't progress signing Sheffield Utd players' but he is a standout for them any time I've seen them. Reminds me a lot of Kamara in the way he moves and his close control but he probably is a bit more forward thinking so chips in with goals.

If we want 'high profile' it will likely be loans, otherwise it's about finding value and taking a punt on guys. Only sticking point with him is id expect the fee and wage demands to be a lot higher than that of Jack or Kamara for example. Obviously makes it more risky.

Don't disagree with any of that mate and whilst some will turn their noses up, Gilmour is a good shout.

Another who I really like, is David McGoldrick of Sheffield Utd. I know many will tell me 'we won't progress signing Sheffield Utd players' but he is a standout for them any time I've seen them. Reminds me a lot of Kamara in the way he moves and his close control but he probably is a bit more forward thinking so chips in with goals.

If we want 'high profile' it will likely be loans, otherwise it's about finding value and taking a punt on guys. Only sticking point with him is id expect the fee and wage demands to be a lot higher than that of Jack or Kamara for example. Obviously makes it more risky.
Cheers mate.

What is clear that we will continue to recruit players that fit our playing model.

Other than Grezda, I can’t think of another recent player who has been an out and out failure, most have contributed something.

Mate he’s not a midfielder and more to the point he’s not very good

Surely only on a pay as he plays basis, could not justify a weekly wage of his scale for the contribution to the team? As much as I love the guy

Being brutally honest, we could have coped without him this season in my opinion, and next year sees him older and unlikely to play

Aye, I'm sure the professionalism, dedication and concentration in the first 11 has nothing to do with the presence of players like Jermain Defoe in the dressing room!

If the gaffer thinks he still has a role to play (on or off the park) he'll stay... But I think folk can easily dismiss the crucial role someone like defoe played in bringing 55.

Money well spent if you ask me!

Depends on who goes. Tav ,as we have a replacement in Patterson. Helander as well with Simpson already here. I hope Borna stays despite having Bassey behind him as he is irreplaceable right now. Midfield, I can see a replacement for Davis as we can't expect him to be like the Energizer Bunny and will run out of gas eventually. (mixed metaphor, I know ). I still think that Hagi is a bit lightweight and Arfield is the same as Davis and isn't getting any younger. So, our midfield needs a big shakeup.
Up front, I am not convinced with Itten and Roofe seems injury prone.So, a lo9t is on Alfie, if he goes for silly money then silly money could be spent on another striker. Wings are fine with Kent and Wright.
So, in essence, replacements for
Davis,
Arfield
Hagi
Roofe
Itten
Alfie.
Over to you guys for replacements.

We need 2 central midfielders.

One to replace Zungu and another because we're light in that area.

Aribo should be used further up the park where he is most effective and Roofe should be used as a striker where he is most effective.

Midfielders: Davis, Jack, Arfield, Kamara, 2 x new

Forwards (10s): Kent, Aribo, Hagi, Wright

Strikers: Morelos, Roofe, Itten

Aribo should be used further up the park where he is most effective and Roofe should be used as a striker where he is most effective.

Mind we have Ofoborh coming into midfield. However he’s now out with seemingly a long term injury

Need a midfielder, and a replacement for anyone who moves on. I think that would about do it for me.

Its going to be painful to lose any of our main players but needs must.

Mind we have Ofoborh coming into midfield. However he’s now out with seemingly a long term injury
The way Gerrard was talking after we signed him I never thought he was going to be in the plans next season tbh.

Said something along the lines of 'we always plan 2-3 transfer windows ahead' so I had a feeling he was going to spend next season on loan developing with regular game time.

Didn't know about the injury, that's not good news.

Greg Stewart
Brandon Barker
Jordan Jones
Jermain Defoe
Greg Middleton
Mayo

Also likely that Edmundson and / or Katic will go out on loan with one of them succeeding Balogun role the following season.

What is the Skov Olsen obsession all about on FF? Feel like one person suggested it when he was at Nordsjaelland and everyone has just ran with it without ever watching him play a full 90 mins

Mate he’s not a midfielder and more to the point he’s not very good

Mate, I've just done some googling, had no idea he was deployed as a centre forward. Nor that he was 33. I do rate him though, certainly on the half dozen times I've seen him.

He won't be on our radar either way, so we can scrap that idea:)

I'd like to see Salaka and Gauld brought in for free.

Money spent on a midfielder like Fleck unless Kelly is ready to step up.

Potentially another striker brought in.

I'd be into the idea of doig from hibs.

We could sign no new players and I would feel fine that's how great this window is.

I’d stick with goldson and helander, understand the need for more pace but we have conceded 12 goals domestically and I think 15 in European competitions, Helander is a Swedish internationalist that we picked up for 3.5 million.. where else are we picking up someone with his ability never mind throwing bags of pace into the equation, your talking 10/15 million.

As much as it pains me to say it but we need a Centre Mid to replace Jack.

Love him to bits but with injuries we can’t rely on him being a starter.

hopefully after this operation it might work out different

NOTE : IM NOT SAYING HE IS PI5H

We do need midfielders but it has to be someone who improves us and starts ahead of Davis, Jack, Arfield, Kamara.

Strikers. We need one to come who will challenge Morelos or replace him. If we replace him, we need another one to challenge.
Itten will only ever be a squad player, which is fine, as every team needs subs.
I wouldn't be surprised if we sold him though.

McGoldricks a striker mate.

The CM role is the one we need to spend the money on. It's the area we will need to spend most on. It'd be hard not to see only Kamara being a regular by the end of next season. If Jack can get fit then he'll be a great squad player but his role is somewhere we can upgrade massively albeit costly.

We need some top quality by the start of season 22/23.
Not convinced with roofe and itten, theyve had a year and now need to produce.
Balogun, davis, mcgregor and defoe are all away season 22/23, thats a lot of expierence.

Greg Stewart
Brandon Barker
Jordan Jones
Jermain Defoe
Greg Middleton
Mayo

Two CM’s and a striker of Defoe leaves. And replacements if any players get sold! I like Ryan Gauld for a CAM and I like either mcann from st Johnstone or Campbell from Motherwell

Back