Rangers goalkeepers over the years

I've seen them all from Ritchie onwards. Really difficult choice now between Goram and McGregor for top dog I reckon. Though, bizarrely, its equally true to say that both had/have some flaws in their game - most noticeably for both their haphazard ability when coming off their line to clutch a high ball.
Likewise, from Ritchie onwards and the contenders for Alpha Dog.

As you say both not comfortable with cross balls, I'd say Shagger is the more uncomfortable of the two. Goram would come and punch away and clear all around him lol.

So it's Goram for me by a baw hair.

Dibble must get a mention for coming in at the 11th hour at the chamber of secrets.
And not forgetting Ross McCrorie. 100% record in terms of shutouts....
And how could I forget my big mate Lindsay Hamilton....didn’t get a chance, but once told me that he saved a Jorg Albertz penalty for Stenhousemuir in the SC at the Pleasuredome!! Not many keepers can say that....

We’ve been fortunate to have plenty of good ones to choose from.

I think most will agree that McGregor has surpassed them all now and is our greatest keeper.

I know a lot will disagree but it’s hard to argue against it now.

I’d be very surprised if most agree he is better than Goram. It’s close but its still Goram for me.

If Goram left Rangers in his prime years he would have gone to another massive club.

In my lifetime we’ve generally only had 5 or 6 “main” goalkeepers.

- McCloy
- Woods
- Goram
- Klos
- McGregor
- Wes

The others like Walker, Charbonnier, Watterus, Alexander filled in for a season here or there but what a fine selection we’ve had overall.
Stewart was good!

For me, its Goram. Some of the saves he pulled off were beyond belief; think McGregor saving that Griffiths effort but all the time against the scum and the sheep, a la van hoojidonk save. He was phenomenal for us.

McGregor? He's so good too. The aforementioned recent save, the famous penalty saves. He's fvcking solid.

I dont think we should pit the two against each other. It's two different eras and a different game, Both are outstanding.

I know thats not the point of the thread haha

Ritchie
Martin
Sorensen
McCloy
Kennedy
Stewart
Hamilton
Woods
Niemmi
Ginsburg
Goram
Charbonnier
Dibble
Maxwell
Klos
Simonsen
Mhyre
Fod
Thompson
Letizi
Snelders
Christiansen
Shagger
Scott
Bell
Alnwick
Need
The ones I can remember off the top of my head that I’ve seen
Goram for me the best of the lot followed by Woods, McGregor then Klos hard to pick a 5th maybe Ritchie although Kennedy had 2 good seasons and McCloy had a few.

Ritchie
Martin
Sorensen
McCloy
Kennedy
Stewart
Hamilton
Woods
Niemmi
Ginsburg
Goram
Charbonnier
Dibble
Maxwell
Klos
Simonsen
Mhyre
Fod
Thompson
Letizi
Snelders
Christiansen
Shagger
Scott
Bell
Alnwick
Need
The ones I can remember off the top of my head that I’ve seen
Goram for me the best of the lot followed by Woods, McGregor then Klos hard to pick a 5th maybe Ritchie although Kennedy had 2 good seasons and McCloy had a few.
Add Helicopter Sunday, Ronald Wattereus. Not got a great reputation on here, but I can't recall any bloopers by him.

Not one mention of Nicky Walker so far..

Disappointing.
Hard question, but for me there is not a lot in it now.

Goram / McGregor

Woods / Klos

Goram’s consistency between Aberdeen away in December 1991 until Tannadice in October 1997 edges him past McGregor.

It is getting harder to maintain the argument that Goram was better though.

And I say that as Andy Goram’s biggest fan.

If McGregor has another season like this next year, it’ll get harder still.

Not one mention of Nicky Walker so far..

Disappointing.
Hard question, but for me there is not a lot in it now.

Goram / McGregor

Woods / Klos
From memory Nicky wasn’t a bad shot stopper, but his decision making at cross balls at times was dreadful. 86 cup final for instance came for the ball, stopped didn’t go back on his line and lost a goal.

Special mention to David Mckellar, remember him 2 years in a row being on goals when we were knocked out the Scottish cup and at east end park he gave the Rangers fans the 1-0 at F/T as he was walking off, couldn’t believe he later signed for us albeit never played

I think most will agree that McGregor has surpassed them all now and is our greatest keeper.

I think McGregor has pushed himself to the top of the reckoning this season.

To be at the club for that length of time, to win trophies, to play so many games, to be one of the leaders in the team, to be putting in those performances domestically & in Europe in his late 30s..

He is the #1 for me now.

None of us ever saw him play but reading about Jerry Dawson he has to have a shout for our greatest ever keeper. 15 years as first choice, 5 League titles, 2 Scottish Cups 9 wartime League and Cup honours, 14 Scotland caps and 9 wartime international appearances for Scotland. A club legend installed in the Hall of Fame.

Also remembered Billy Thompson as well, defo can be added to the above list.
I didn't include Thomson as he was only ever signed as cover and played about half a dozen games for us at the tail end of his career - funnily enough to replace Maxwell.

I was 25 when I first saw a good Rangers goalkeeper.

That was Chris Woods and since then by and large I've been spoiled for choice.

McGregor has proved to be a better professional than Goram, I don't think that part of the comparison and argument between the two can be in any doubt.

Foderingham mentioned in the thread. Close to the worst Rangers keeper I've ever seen.
No disrespect to him, but someone has to take that hit.
Did you ever see cammy bell? Siminson ? N 38 year old bears like me old enough to remember Ally Maxwell (who is a legend compared to the first two)

Not even close.

Maxwell
Thompson
Scott
Snelders the shitebag
Letizi
Christiansen
Mhyre (ok wasn’t ours but still awful)
Simonsen
Bell

Wes was head and shoulders above all of the above and I’m sure I’ve missed out others
Ally Maxwell!!! Still have nightmares about the cup final! For that alone he is the worst!

And I agree with you about Wes, ok he wasn’t on the same level as Mcgregor, Goram or Klos but very few are. Wes was still a solid goalkeeper and a good player for us at time when we were still recovering. He does not deserve to be lumped in with clowns like Maxwell!

Last edited:
I've been watching Rangers since the late 60s. We didn't have a great keeper (one I had complete confidence in) until Chris Woods. Since then, apart from those between McGregor's two spells, the main keeper has been pretty good. The two that were brought in and didn't impress were Letizi and Charbonnier, although injuries didn't help Charbonnier.
McCloy had good spells but was prone to howlers. Kennedy had a great season then Wembley ruined him.
Goram was the best in my opinion.

Charbonnier was a good keeper for us
Letizi was poor (tho you could argue he didn't get long and was in the PLG maelstrom time)

Foderingham getting pelters
yet Gilks was lauded at time as being better by some - for a couple of saves against Them at Hampden - a game where he tried his best to gift them a few

I saw my first Rangers game in 1964, and Billy Ritchie was in goal, and I liked him.

Since then, we have had many fine goalkeepers, but rather than put up a poll, I just wanted to share with you who I thought has been the best of them all.

Whilst I thing McGregor is a truly great 'keeper, the daddy of them all has to be Andy Goram. That is no insult to McGregor, but I think you'ld be hard pushed to find any Bear who follow followed throughout the years of Goram's career than would disagree.
Our goalies have been much better quality than our rivals!
Long may it continue!

Mcgregor is amazing and one of our best. But Andrew Lewis Goram, was arguably the best in the world over 92-93 and at other spells.

Goram is the greatest. He did what McGregors done over a longer period.

I suppose its also a generational thing though.

I remember telling my pals at school that Stewart Kennedy was the best goalkeeper I'd ever seen.

Wembley 1975 was a few weeks later!

I was living in Uxbridge at that time. Had been raving to all and sundry about how great a goalie Stewart Kennedy was and that there was no way Scotland would be beaten.

Don't think he ever recovered top form after that game.

None of us ever saw him play but reading about Jerry Dawson he has to have a shout for our greatest ever keeper. 15 years as first choice, 5 League titles, 2 Scottish Cups 9 wartime League and Cup honours, 14 Scotland caps and 9 wartime international appearances for Scotland. A club legend installed in the Hall of Fame.
Doesn't matter how many years, honours, caps he had. That was back in the days when keepers didn't even dive. So trying to compare on that basis doesn't make sense. Football has moved on. All of today's players are much better than players of that day. In terms of longevity etc you may be right but in terms of ability I doubt he'd get a game for the women's team these days.

I saw my first Rangers game in 1964, and Billy Ritchie was in goal, and I liked him.

Since then, we have had many fine goalkeepers, but rather than put up a poll, I just wanted to share with you who I thought has been the best of them all.

Whilst I thing McGregor is a truly great 'keeper, the daddy of them all has to be Andy Goram. That is no insult to McGregor, but I think you'ld be hard pushed to find any Bear who follow followed throughout the years of Goram's career than would disagree.
My list was
Goram
klos
Woods
McGregor....
It’s now
Goram
McGregor
Klos
Woods

I’m not sure how much of that is maybe because McGregor is more recent and I’ve kind of forgot how great the other were. Or it’s genuinely because McGregor is better than the other 2.

I’ve been fortunate enough to see 3 of the best in our history possibly 4
Woods
Goram
McGregor and maybe even Klos

Doesn't matter how many years, honours, caps he had. That was back in the days when keepers didn't even dive. So trying to compare on that basis doesn't make sense. Football has moved on. All of today's players are much better than players of that day. In terms of longevity etc you may be right but in terms of ability I doubt he'd get a game for the women's team these days.
Do you know what, it makes me laugh when Rangers fans like yourself give scant regard to the players of any part of our history that they haven't seen play. Dawson, like many others who played in years gone by, is acknowledged by many authors who witnessed him playing as a true legend and one of our greatest goalkeepers. The history of goalkeepers in the club didn't begin with the days of Andy Goram. Maybe have a read about the history of the great players of the club since 1872 instead of from the days of Souness onwards, it may well enrich your knowledge of the great players in every era that played for Rangers

How in the name of fùck did he keep so many clean sheets if he never dived for a shot at his goal?

Congratulations, you've gone straight to number one in the Daftest Post of Today award.

And if you want to do a proper comparison, Jerry Dawson had no goalie gloves, had to move in huge heavy boots, had to catch a leather tonne weight of a ball, faced teams who virtually all played with 5 forwards, and got virtually zero protection from referees from forwards flattening him at cross balls.

The Prince of Goalkeepers done more than enough for our great club to have earned a whole lot more respect than you give him.

McGregor has surpassed Goram in terms of longevity. He's been a top goalkeeper for the best part of 15 years. Goram's peak was probably no more than 5 years but for 2 seasons of that he was absolutely the best goalkeeper I've seen in the flesh.

For 2 full seasons I don't think any ball he could reach went past him. His instincts and anticipation were super-human, but the most impressive thing was he just didn't make any mistakes. He had about 2 seasons worth of cock ups in his first 3 months at Rangers and then until he got injured about 3 years later they just didn't happen.

I think you always have fond memories of the keeper you remember as a kid.
For me its Woods/Goram followed closely by Klos and McGregor.

A
I've been following us since 78.

For some reason, even though he was by no means the best, I have always had a strange keeper-crush on Jim Stewart.

He really was a very good goalie, but the 1982 SC Final seemed to break him a little.

As a kid I was never that impressed with McCloy and actively disliked Nicky Walker.

Woods, Goram, Klos and McGregor. There's 4 main keepers in 35 years.

We've been fortunate and I hope our next one is spoken about in the same breath as those guys because I never ever expected McGregor to be in the conversation. And he most definitely is.
As a kid I thought McCloy was going to be our keeper forever and ever and ever. No matter who we bought he always got back in and he even looked as old as a great grandfather. And for as long as he was keeper I can't remember one iconic save he made. I'm sure someone out there can refer me to one or more? Huge kick outs though. Think he was first human to land something on Mars.

I concur.
1.Goram
2.McGregor
3.Klos
4.Woods.

All great keepers.

A

As a kid I thought McCloy was going to be our keeper forever and ever and ever. No matter who we bought he always got back in and he even looked as old as a great grandfather. And for as long as he was keeper I can't remember one iconic save he made. I'm sure someone out there can refer me to one or more? Huge kick outs though. Think he was first human to land something on Mars.
He made loads of great saves and had many great performances, sadly he made just as many errors and had more than a few horror shows.

I've always judged keepers on the mistakes they don't make. All keepers pull off great saves but the greats make the fewest errors.

He made loads of great saves and had many great performances, sadly he made just as many errors and had more than a few horror shows.

I've always judged keepers on the mistakes they don't make. All keepers pull off great saves but the greats make the fewest errors.
Very true

- McCloy
- Woods
- Goram
- Klos
- McGregor
- Wes

The others like Walker, Charbonnier, Watterus, Alexander filled in for a season here or there but what a fine selection we’ve had overall.
How could you forget Burridge,lol ,played his part in winning the league,I think.

Who played in goal before we signed Wes? Cammy Bell & Steve Simmo.

For me I think its becoming more and more difficult to split Goram & McGregor.
Everytime McGregor pulls of a worldy against them it becomes more difficult but it's a good debate to have when you look at their so called keepers

- McCloy
- Woods
- Goram
- Klos
- McGregor
- Wes

You missed out Dibble and Simonsen!

Chris Woods is probably the best overall goalie as he could command his box. McGregor and Goram make more great saves though. It is a very hard choice. If pushed I would go with Goram.

Who played in goal before we signed Wes? Cammy Bell & Steve Simmo.

For me I think its becoming more and more difficult to split Goram & McGregor.
100%. Never thought Goram would be equaled, now I find it difficult to pick between them.

Back