Summer ins and outs

Unfortunately for Jacko his stats suggest he'll struggle to play in 50% of our games.

I'd suggest an upgrade is our number 1 priority out with say left back if Borna goes.

I think Helander will go from our first team and no-one else. Lots off the wage bill elsewhere, and a new midfielder when Zungu leaves.

We do need midfielders but it has to be someone who improves us and starts ahead of Davis, Jack, Arfield, Kamara.

Strikers. We need one to come who will challenge Morelos or replace him. If we replace him, we need another one to challenge.
Itten will only ever be a squad player, which is fine, as every team needs subs.
I wouldn't be surprised if we sold him though.
We're obviously not selling Itten.

And he will be more than a squad player. He's not really been given an opportunity this season due to our strength in depth upfront.

What is the Skov Olsen obsession all about on FF? Feel like one person suggested it when he was at Nordsjaelland and everyone has just ran with it without ever watching him play a full 90 mins
It's because he's a perfect fit for our system.

Two footed, pacey, really good technically and can play as a 10 or a traditional winger.

Players I think most likely to go:
Barisic
Helander
Kamara
Morelos - if we don't qualify for CL

Less likely but maybe we have to sell if a strong bid comes in: Tav, Hagi, Kent

Midfield looks strong on paper, but problems could quickly pile up - Davis may not be able to have another season like this, Kamara might leave, Jack's injuries, Arfield also getting older. I think we need two in this summer who can play in that three-man midfield - great ball players but tough, hard workers, and ideally at least one who brings goals like Arfield has done at his best.

Finding a replacement for Davis is the most urgent task, even if Davis delivers again next season, we need somebody in the squad ready to gradually step up and fill that role.

Our defence has been the foundation of our success, so we need to avoid an exodus there. I think we have the strength in depth in defence to sustain one major change, but more than that would be a massive disruption. At least Patterson and Balogun have played a good number of games, so I'd consider them capable of stepping up if Tav or Helander left. Anyone leaving would need to be replaced, but more urgently for Barisic if he leaves. I like Bassey but I don't think he's there yet.

I like the idea that Hagi could grow into a role in that midfield three as he gets stronger and more experienced but don't know if that's realistic for next season. Right now, he's clearly performed best in the front three. In any case, the way I look at it, we're developing Hagi to sell him, not expecting him to be with us for years to come.

Up front, I want to give Itten and Roofe a chance, but I'm not 100% convinced either is a replacement for Alfie. I'd look at bringing one more in, especially if Defoe goes.

Also need to be looking at who's replacing McGregor long-term. I've not seen enough of McLaughlin to be sure of him. Now's the time to be identifying a successor and getting him around Greegsy.

The rumoured interest in Lundstrom dropped off?

List of contracts that are ending.

Edmundson, Katic (Loan), Mayo, Barjonas, Zungu, Barker, Jones, Middleton, Hastie, Stewart, Defoe, McCrorie and Murphy permanently away.

13 out

Plenty of wages freed up there.

Bring in 4 quality players at the minimum.

2 dynamic central midfielders preferably a box to box and a creative playmaker.

A right sided Kent.

And a pacey striker.

That'll do me.

Edmundson, Katic (Loan), Mayo, Barjonas, Zungu, Barker, Jones, Middleton, Hastie, Stewart, Defoe, McCrorie and Murphy permanently away.

13 out

Plenty of wages freed up there.

Bring in 4 quality players at the minimum.

2 dynamic central midfielders preferably a box to box and a creative playmaker.

A right sided Kent.

And a pacey striker.

That'll do me.

I had forgot all about Hastie and Murphy and Barjonas, who will all be away..

Hastie and Mayo still have 2-years on their contract but need to move on for their own careers.

When you add all those together and remove, it’s quite a substantial reduction on the overall wage bill.

Looks like the following will depart, freeing up some wages:

Greg Stewart
Brandon Barker
Jordan Jones
Jermain Defoe
Greg Middleton
Mayo
Bongani Zungu (no loan or buy)

Also likely that Edmundson and / or Katic will go out on loan with one of them succeeding Balogun role the following season.

I have a feeling also that failure to qualify for UCL Group stages could see Morelos away, but I think he will stay if we progress, such is his ambition.

Our midfield looks a bit weak now, but with a relatively ‘untried’ Nnamdi Ofobohr coming in, and hopefully a cured Ryan Jack to bolster the middle of the park, things look a bit better, but I still think we need another potential starter in there, as Arfield has peaked and Aribo better off higher up pitch.

I reckon we may be in the market for another striker to replace Defoe’s squad role or potential Morelos sale, and one more in midfield.

If I was being greedy, and in a ‘utopian’ world, Billy Gilmour on loan (possible if we make UCL?), Andreas Skov Olsen for pace and left balance, and a striker, which I think we would be in great shape, without a huge net spend.
A relation to Glenn?

Ljubicic and Sakala might be worth looking at from those lists and be realistic.
Both have good write ups Ljubicic could be a good cover option for Davis he was heavily linked last season.

Sakala has serious pace and can play around the the number 10 roles similar to what we do so he ticks a lot of boxes.

Both would be reasonable/decent signings especially on free transfers.

Personally don't think there's any chance Itten leaves, not sure why anyone would want that in the first place either?

Happy for Defoe to re-sign as well. Are people expecting to get something better as a 4th choice striker?

Absolutely need another quality CM.

Has Goldson signed a new contract yet?, I'm sure his expires at the end of next season but if he doesn't extend then we will have to look at cashing in

Fucking hell, from reading this you'd think our entire first team was ready to be sold.

And people having a pop at itten and Simpson? They're projects and squad players right now.

They'll step up.

I have full faith in Gerrard and Wilson to deliver.
Im not ready to write Itten off but he’s 24 and hasn’t showed lots, he’ll get next season imo but it’s okay to have some concerns with him.

Has Goldson signed a new contract yet?, I'm sure his expires at the end of next season but if he doesn't extend then we will have to look at cashing in
He has one year left on his deal, but has previously expressed a desire to play regularly in EPL.

But we cannot afford to try and qualify for the UCL in the summer without him, he’s played every minute of every game and been pivotal.

I sense a 1-year extension with a sensible release clause and a. If decision if we don’t make the group stages

I agree, hasn't really impressed in his limited appearances.
Mental, the Manager has stated he was for the long term, and I think he leads the line well and hold the ball up.

Not totally sure his style suits our style as a lone central striker, perhaps better in a 4-4-2, or with narrower wide men in a 4-3-3 giving him more support

Mental, the Manager has stated he was for the long term, and I think he leads the line well and hold the ball up.

Not totally sure his style suits our style as a lone central striker, perhaps better in a 4-4-2, or with narrower wide men in a 4-3-3 giving him more support
He would be better in a 2 up front but in our current system I don't think he has the required pace.

The rumoured interest in Lundstrom dropped off?

List of contracts that are ending.
I’d take A.Townsend from that list.

He could play in any role in midfield & as one of our 10’s. He would bring huge experience & don’t tell me Ge55ard couldn’t talk him in to coming to The Famous.

Back