Is it possible to avoid selling?

OnTheWay

Or am I being too hopeful we can keep all our main assets like Helander, Barisic, Kamara, Hagi, Morelos and Kent for next season as well?

Recruitment and player trading is key, if one player goes for 20million the gaffer gets 10 to recruit with and 10 goes into keeping us running in a more normal day to day manner.

That and fringe players going for a fee is absolutely critical.

CL football is not guaranteed, it would be incredible financially but it's not guaranteed.

Would be a shame to break up a team in the up.

Hagi for 12 seems to be best option at the moment. Although I still think he can keep improving.

We must keep Kent, Morelos and Kamara

Gerrard clearly doesn't will want to stand still. He wants to progress this Rangers team onto greater achievements which means an upgrade in Quality. We will finance that with further investment from the board, (something the manager has already spoken about) and inevitably one or two player sales.

We've talked for years now of the model of self sustainability is buy low sell high. We really need to actually start doing the sell high part.

I would really hope so but no, teams are going to be after our players and their heads will be turned. I don't blame clubs for coming and I don't blame players for being interested. We need to get the right deals, they need to be big now. We then need to recruit with the same quality - no reason why we cannot.

Yes it is possible. Its all dependent upon what offers we actually get and how highly the board/investors value a return to the Champions League. We are in no desperation to sell - despite that narrative being pushed - as evidenced by last years rejection of a £16M bid for Morelos

Of course it isn’t, we play in one of the worst leagues in Europe and the the chances are that they would need to make a decision before we even know if we will make the Champions league.

I don't think it's possible this season, the board have held all our assets until we got this season over the line. I think this strategy has worked as a majority of the players values will have increased, so fair play to them. Cash in and hopefully a healthy reinvestment into the team to keep the quality and financial model healthy.

There's a danger of previously good, motivated players going stale if there's not some movement. Also, the players that do stay get fresh impetus from the club signing good players, even in other positions. I don't think anyone is expecting the team to be completely broken up but we have to expect some decent players to leave.

Champions league qualification would help us retain the squad but if we want to keep being successful we need to upgrade the squad. Decisions need to be made with Goldson and Kamara if they won't sign new contracts for example.

It’s time to start operating like a proper business and looking after ourselves. It’s been brilliant having the directors and shareholders keeping us ticking over but fairs fair, we can’t keep just asking them, and us tbf, to just keep pumping money in to the club.

If we keep everyone we won’t have much, if any, money to strengthen. And we need a couple in midfield for sure. There’s also the issue of contracts. The club can’t allow those to run down. So we might have to cash in on certain players this summer because they only have a year left (Goldson) or before they get to the last year of their deals (Kent, Kamara, Aribo, Morelos and Helander) and their value drops - unless they sign new ones obviously. Lots of difficult decisions to be made and it depends on which players are willing to commit long term.

I think we’ll lose two players, and maybe even four if CL qualification goes tits up.

I’m sure the management team will have names they feel they can afford to lose, names they desperately want to keep and replacements in mind for all of them regardless.

It’s where we are now unfortunately.

We need to sell an asset or two, that’s always been clear.

Hopefully we can also get a couple of new players in, a counter balance for Kent would be immense and dare I say, and I mean no disrespect, but an upgrade on our DM options.

Jack just seems to be suffering from reoccurring issues and it’s not helping the team or him. Again, I love the guy being at the club, but his fitness has been an issue this season.

It’s time to start operating like a proper business and looking after ourselves. It’s been brilliant having the directors and shareholders keeping us ticking over but fairs fair, we can’t keep just asking them, and us tbf, to just keep pumping money in to the club.
100%. We know to our cost that tap can be turned off and if it does that can lead to big financial trouble really quickly. The club needs to stand on its own two feet financially. And for a club like us that means player trading.

I think we need to try everything possible to keep Kent, he's a game changer, fantastic player. I'd luv to keep the squad together with a few additions but the reality is we need to cash in on one of our main assets.

I have come to terms that some players will move on and others will come in. Who goes is anybody's guess, it will be an interesting summer.
But whoever goes they will live long in the memory for what they have achieved this season.

No.

People need to get this idea out of their heads. The management team and Ross Wilson have earned the right to sell someone for a mental profit and reinvest it, the idea that we can’t find another Morelos is an insult to how well they’ve done.

People thinking we can build a Champions League quality side while living off generous owners and soft loans are on another planet.

The strong possibility of Champions league football for winning the league next season makes me believe it's certainly possible.

As weird as it sounds though I do enjoy seeing more of a remodel approach otherwise it goes stale. What that lot have done is the opposite to what I'd want us to do.

Genuinely don't get how some of our fans fail to see what our business model is. If we can learn one thing from the orcs its don't count on Europe money to balance the books.

Yep and I think Hagi may be one of our players that will leave, given a really good bid.
That would be fine. Neat and tidy, can be a great passer, but wouldn't be a disaster if he left to balance the books.

It we offloaded him but still got into the CL, it would set us up for the next 2 football seasons and the next 3 financial years.

Players who are performing well will likely attract interest, a symptom of football in general and players moving onto a 'bigger league'. We likely will sell an asset or 2, just hopefully the squad won't be decimated.

Hopefully we qualify for the champions league maybe sell a player and invest in the squad could set us up for next few years especially with guaranteed entry next season

Ross Wilson did say we don't need to sell but there will obviously come a time when we do sell. Every player has their price.

I think we'll sell at least one, perhaps two at the most of our first team players. Depends if teams meet our valuations but I think we'll find there's a bit of interest in our winners this summer. That's not considering the likes of Jones and Edmundson. Would be decent business if we could get circa £14M for Hagi to help balance the books.

Sadly I think its unlikely we wont lose at least one first teamer. Uncharted territory for the management team to an extent, we havent really lost any key players the last few summers. Maybe Candieas but I think he said he'd had a chat and wasnt going to be first pick so wanted regular football at his age.

CL qualification could make all the difference. Not just financially but in terms of players wanting to stay.

Qualifiers will be done by August 25th and the transfer window will still be open after this.

What are the CL qualifier dates? Could we hold out until then. Qualify - sorted. Put out them sell a player or two.

Bit of a gamble, selling late in the window and players possibly cup tied for CL butna good option.

What are the CL qualifier dates? Could we hold out until then. Qualify - sorted. Put out them sell a player or two.

Bit of a gamble, selling late in the window and players possibly cup tied for CL butna good option.

Qualifying
22 June 2021: Preliminary round semi-finals
25 June 2021: Preliminary round final
6/7 & 13/14 July 2021: First qualifying round
20/21 & 27/28 July 2021: Second qualifying round
3/4 & 10 August 2021: Third qualifying round
17/18 & 24/25 August 2021: Play-offs

We can't keep bringing in players at cost and seeing players move out for virtually nothing.

And the directors/investors cannot keep going into their pockets to help fill funding gaps.

Simply not sustainable.

We have to adopt the model which we have talked about for so long.

I'm comfortable with it and actually think it will be positive.

If we make the CL group stages, fans are allowed back in and everybody is happy to stay another season then yes.

Some players like Goldson would need to sign a new contract too.

In an ideal world it is. However, we've not sold anyone for a significant fee in a while. We know we have to sell players, regardless of how well we do in Europe, that's just the way it is.

I'm 50-50 in my mind whether Alfie will stay to see if we make the CL groups. I'd sway towards him leaving though.3 I'm also skeptical that Kamara hasn't signed a contract yet. I'd imagine he'd want to play in the CL but I have a bad feeling he may not sign another contract. Let's hope I'm wrong.

If we get a £25 million offer then Kent will be gone. Same applies to other players, it's the correct business model to keep the club sustainable
We’d been saying similar about Morelos for years.
It is not as definite as that.

Back