Do you ever think of some strange or odd rules you could change in football?

Pvt. Hudson

I’ve always thought it would be interesting if the attacking team went over the half way line with the ball that they turn wouldn’t be allowed to kick it back into their own half.

The other one would be instead of throw in’s, a freekick is taking in the line.

What else would you add if anything? A few drink have been had, I’m just being sillyB-)

I think I may have done it via the power of my mind.

I could never really see the thing about the goalie, or another player, taking a short bye kick and teh receiving player having to be outside the box.

They've changed that and now football is perfect to me. :)

No draws or a bigger gap between points for a win and what you get for a draw maybe 5 points for the win and 1 for the draw!! Anything that encourages attacking football or stops teams playing so negatively!! Extra points for goals too?

I’ve always thought it would be interesting if the attacking team went over the half way line with the ball that they turn wouldn’t be allowed to kick it back into their own half.

What else would you add if anything? A few drink have been had, I’m just being sillyB-)
This is the rule in basketball

(Obviously throwing it, not kicking it)

I’d like Scottish referees to referee Rangers players the way the referee non Rangers players. Or selik players!

When the ball goes out of play, the clock should stop.
Yep. Ending the match will be a struggle.

Will either stop bang on time which is a bit pish if you’re on the attack, or itll will be the next time play stops, so the winning team will either kick the ball out or foul.

Goalies not allowed to leave the penalty box.

Too many now becoming far to good at sweeping, and killing the art of the ball in behind

The reason a goalie gets to use his hands is stop a goal - obvious and in early days of football they didn't stray far from the line. I think we could trial restricting the area they can use their hands maybe to six yards or penalty spot. No more catching or diving at feet at edge of box - if they come out use feet - hands are for shot stopping

Rolling subs on and off as many times as you like, would reduce injury and prolong player’s careers. I’d make it during play as to stop teams breaking up the game etc.

Yep. Ending the match will be a struggle.

Will either stop bang on time which is a bit pish if you’re on the attack, or itll will be the next time play stops, so the winning team will either kick the ball out or foul.

At least we'll get our money's worth for a full 90 minutes, or worse if losing. lol

No offside at all.
I thought about this but think it would be carnage - it would encourage long ball game, what about that offside only applied in a certain part of the field? For example, split the halves into a further two halves and you were only offside at the quarter section next to the half way line? You’d get more goals in the attacking quarters and don’t think long ball would come into it? (Go easy on me - I’ve had a drink)

The old suggestion that if you have had a red card and your game goes to pens then if you’ve not won it by 10 pens then you lose?

Reactions: TQ3
I thought about this but think it would be carnage - it would encourage long ball game, what about that offside only applied in a certain part of the field? For example, split the halves into a further two halves and you were only offside at the quarter section next to the half way line? You’d get more goals in the attacking quarters and don’t think long ball would come into it? (Go easy on me - I’ve had a drink)
They experimented years ago, think might have been Dryburgh Cup where they extended the 18 yard line out to the touchline and you could only be offside within that area. Didn't last long.

If the game goes to penalties it should be taken from the half way line and you get 15 seconds to try and score with as many touches as you like instead of one free hit from 12 yards.

The goalkeeper can wear springs on his shoes to jump and bigger gloves.

If your yellow carded, 5 minutes in the sin bin.

If you grab a man by the nuts, the game should be stopped and the player that was sexually assaulted gets to whack the ball at the offender from 10 yards whilst his hands are behind his back. (Wish this was in place for when Christie touched Alfie up).

Referees should be treated with respect. Unless of course they make a bad call and should face punishment similar to above.

Everytime Celtic fans are in Ibrox we should build a barrier so they cant see the game.

They tried that in Scotland in 70's in I think the Dryburgh Cup that was for highest scoring teams in he Divisions. Teams just played as normal as didn't want to get used to different tactics in regular season games and no extra goals scored. Oops see someone else posted but might be worth another try

Instead of having to draw lines with rulers to see if a guys big toe is offside, I'd change it back to being the relatively simple rule it once was!

Better still, get rid of offside completely. Stupid rule that complicates the game, causes controversy and reduces the number of goals.

Pitch divided into 10 yard sections, markings on the side lines only. If the ball goes out for a throw in it can be taken in that 10 yard area. Saves the arguments over stealing yards at a throw in.

The player that commits a foul and injures the other player, has to go off until the injured guy comes back on, or gets subbed if the injured guy needs subbed.
I have never got why the fouling team gets to play on with 11 men, whilst the injured team have to play with 10.

One of the relatively unchanged features of football since its inception has been the size of the goals. We're about 10cm bigger than we were back then so I would consider making the goals larger.

I've always thought that a penalty is a disproportionate advantage handed to an attacking team for a foul in the box. A penalty kick has a success rate of about 75 percent but few fouls in the box take place when the attacker has an equally high chance of scoring. This advantage has been increased by referees clamping down on goalies remaining on their line during penalties, so I think I'd consider moving the penalty spot back a bit. It's bordering on unforgiveable for a professional to be missing a penalty kick in this day and age.

The offside rule is generally needed but I'd like to see it removed when it comes to VAR decisions. It's simply impossible for even the best players in the world to be able to keep themselves onside when your measurement is in millimetres.

The classic pause the clock for stoppages. Rework the half times to whatever would be a reasonable number of minutes (30 or so?)
This. 30 minute halves, clock stops when the ball is not in play. Time wasting is one of the biggest frustrations in the game. Would be interesting to trial it in the league cup.

Back