Do you ever think of some strange or odd rules you could change in football?

Stop the clock like rugby when it’s a foul injury etc then no injury time and once the ball is out of play the whistle goals

Do away with the six yard box, there is no real point to it. Make goalies can take goal kicks from anywhere on the goal line inside the 18 yard box.

Bring in team fouls. Sick of watching games where teams stop and break up the game with niggly foul after niggly foul and / or take it in turns to target the opposition's best players and kick them all over the park. So something like basketball where after a certain number of fouls or yellow cards the next one automatically results in a penalty for the other team, no matter where on the pitch the foul occurs.

A parallel absolute crackdown on diving too. I'd go so far as if a team is subsequently shown to have got a draw or a win through a free-kick or pen wrongly awarded for a dive, then the result can be overturned retrospectively.

Barring injury, the fouled player is the one who has to take the free kick or penalty etc.

Goalless draws get no points in league games, or deducted one, ends the park the bus for a point game killer.
I honestly think the only rule that’d encourage attacking football is an immediate award for goals scored, whether that be for every goal or a bonus point for each three.
Those rugger chaps do it for trys (not even google knows the rugby plural for a try).
I don’t know how to accommodate this for cup games though.

With recent evidence pointing to long term heading of footballs being the cause of dementia in ex players, this may well come to pass.
If heading the ball really can cause dementia, it’ll be banned.
Not sure that could be argued with.
Maybe skull caps as part of a kit?

Instead of a penalty shoot out you need to do a game of red arse. First man to skelp the managers arse with a mitre baw wins.

Imagine Messi losing the CL final because he couldn't hit Koemans arse with a mitre baw.

**Only size 5 mitre baws are accepted.
Managers would either be eight or twenty-eight stone!

Before the USA hosted the 94 World Cup I sure the Americans put forward the idea of the further out you score from the more points you get similar to the scoring system in basketball. I think the idea was to make the game more exciting for the Americans so more would go to matches. I’m also sure that’s when the ban in passing back to the goal keeper to pick up was brought in too.

If a player is shepherding a ball over the goal line with no intention of playing it you should be allowed to kick him in the balls with no comeback.
Pet hate. The rule actually states it's obstruction if no intent to play the ball, but never given. It's like an accepted unwritten rule.

What is even more annoying is that when the striker actually nips in, the defender usually gets a foul for being incompetent in performing an obstruction effectively

Booking for targeted fouling (i.e. Kent)

Players taking turns to target him
Referee tells captain after for example third time that next player to foul him gets booked

There should be a better way of dealing with time wasting and added time. Like when a team comes to Ibrox, wastes time for most of the game but they get the benefit of the added time if we've scored.

A solution would the clock only ticking when the ball is in play, with the game reduced to say 60 minutes as an example (not sure how much the ball is in play on average).

Whether that is workable or not I don't know.

Pet hate of mine is the hammer throwing centre forwards of murderwell and Abergreen fame who commit 7 or more fouls per game but never get booked.An automatic yellow card for 5 fouls followed by a sin bin period for each subsequent offence
Whilst I am on a roll the linesman/AR gets a wee canister of white marker and he indicates where the throw in has to be taken from.Any movement beyond the line thrown in automatically reverts to the opposition
Both doable
or just get him to stand at the point of exit, thrower can't go beyond him.

would need the AR to run the full length of the pitch, or have 4 ARs though...

Anything you can come up with can be turned into a negative.
Using your example, if the ”wee” team were to score first?
Aye can't argue, totally right mate!! And as much as I hate negative football or playing against "the low block" them teams are well drilled and it's it's a tactical plan to get something out of the game, you can't really knock that!! We've used it ourselves plenty of times under Walter!! And rightly hailed our achievements!!

I used to think about "Orange Cards"... where the player has to be sin binned for 20 minutes or something.

No idea how you would enforce it. And maybe people would take advantage of it if tired, instead of being subbed.

Maybe it could only be enforced in first half.

For challenges that are in between yellow and red. Or automatic orange for clear diving.

This was during one of my many lucid thoughts when I was pumping tramadol into myself.
They are trialing this in the Pro 14 Rugby until the end of the season. If a player is given a red card it's a 20 minute sin-bin. The team can then return to 15 players with the red carded player effectively being subbed out the game.

Watched the Glasgow - Edinburgh game last night and I thought it was a stupid set up tbh. Both sides got a red each, both clear reds. In fact, the Glasgow one was a result of sheer stupidity as he just leathered the guy after a stoppage. A red card is a red card and if the team is punished then thats how it is. The onus should be on the player not to get sent off and not let his team down.

Incidentally, both cards were a result of a "captain's challenge" - another new thing being trialled. If VAR is here to stay in football then perhaps something similar can be implemented in our game.

I've felt for ages that keepers shouldn't be allowed outside the penalty box. It would stop them trundling the ball yards outside to launch it a further 50 yards up the park. Possibly more importantly it would increase the space for teams to play in as they wouldn't be able to squeeze up relying on the Manuel Neuer's of this world.

In the offside rule , limbs shouldn't be considered , if the offenders whole body /torso is clearly past the last defender , then offside rule should apply. It would eradicate any doubt and difficult , often costly , decisions for the club's involved taking the pressure of the match officials.

Booking for targeted fouling (i.e. Kent)

Players taking turns to target him
Referee tells captain after for example third time that next player to foul him gets booked
That is already a rule.

Never seen it enforced. Falls under persistent fouling, it doesn't need to be the same player fouling if it's the same player targeted.

Referee is expected to tell the captain yellow cards will follow, but there is no rule that he needs to do so.

When Player A gets a red card (serious foul play/violent conduct) and seriously injures Player B (and that player ends up being out for X number of weeks/months, etc).

Player A gets one/two/three games suspension from the governing body but also will miss the same number of games against Player B's team so his suspension ends up being double.

So if say Scott Brown breaks Michael O'Halloren's leg with a shocker tackle and gets suspended for two games, then the next two games against St. Johnstone he will miss as well. If one of the suspended two is St. Johnstone then he misses the third game against them.

Bit drastic but I've always found it ridiculous that Player A doesn't face punishment (other than the red card for that game) against the team that suffers (player loss) and misses games against Hamilton and Kilmarnock for example.

Last edited:
I'd change VAR to a Challenge system, like it is in tennis, NFL and cricket.
The coach can Challenge one decision, if he is right, he gets the appeal back to use again later, until he gets one wrong.
Once there is a failed Challenge from each team, VAR isn't used again. It would prevent the constant stops and delays. VAR would be used less often, and become a management decision, with the delay made instantly, not after any debate or discussion.

Bevy should be easily available at games because it's great to see Tim on Tim punch ups.

If a player goes off for treatment due to a foul, the player who committed the foul goes off until injured player returns.

Change the way throw ins have to be taken. Let players throw the ball the way a goalie does, effectively allowing players to launch the ball all over the field.

When Player A gets a red card (serious foul play/violent conduct) and seriously injures Player B (and that player ends up being out for X number of weeks/months, etc).

Player A gets one/two/three games suspension from the governing body but also will miss the same number of games against Player B's team so his suspension ends up being double.

So if say Scott Brown breaks Michael O'Halloren's leg with a shocker tackle and gets suspended for two games, then the next two games against St. Johnstone he will miss as well. If one of the suspended two is St. Johnstone then he misses the third game against them.

Bit drastic but I've always found it ridiculous that Player A doesn't face punishment (other than the red card for that game) against the team that suffers (player loss) and misses games against Hamilton and Kilmarnock for example.
Especially when a star player may be sent off with 5 minutes to go then it’s the next opponent’s that benefit

Goalless draws get no points in league games, or deducted one, ends the park the bus for a point game killer.
OK, we will let you have a soft goal, and you let us have a soft goal!
I remember a world cup game when I think Sweden and Germany had both qualified if it was a draw.
KO was delayed 10 mins as no one wanted it o start! :cool:

Pet hate. The rule actually states it's obstruction if no intent to play the ball, but never given. It's like an accepted unwritten rule.

What is even more annoying is that when the striker actually nips in, the defender usually gets a foul for being incompetent in performing an obstruction effectively

Agreed. If a player tried to shield a stationary ball in the middle of the pitch and manhandled an opponent trying to come round the side he'd give away a free kick every time but when it's the goal line anything goes.

Jumpers for goalposts and the cross bar is an imaginary line determined by either:
a) how high the goalie can jump
or
b) a square go with said goalie
That takes me back, our primary school (Bishoploch in Easterhouse) pitch only had one set of goals still standing AND the other class always got there first! (I vividly remember one time we got there first out of the whole P7 year)
So they could shoot into a proper goal while their goal was 2 jackets and as stated how high their keeper is and their keeper was the smallest guy in the school.
Not that I'm bitter about it and to be fair it was only 34 years ago :eek:
#notoverit
#buildabridge
#letitgo

When a team is defending, at least one player shouldn't be allowed to go any further back than the half way line.

Stops teams putting every single player back in their own box but also gives them a counter attack opportunity, making the game more open and attacking.

I've felt for ages that keepers shouldn't be allowed outside the penalty box. It would stop them trundling the ball yards outside to launch it a further 50 yards up the park. Possibly more importantly it would increase the space for teams to play in as they wouldn't be able to squeeze up relying on the Manuel Neuer's of this world.
But most importantly, it would prevent them coming into the opposition box to score from a last minute corner....

If a match goes to extra time chuck on an extra ball and next goal is the winner. The ensuing mayhem, carnage and confusion would be highly entertaining.

Before the USA hosted the 94 World Cup I sure the Americans put forward the idea of the further out you score from the more points you get similar to the scoring system in basketball. I think the idea was to make the game more exciting for the Americans so more would go to matches. I’m also sure that’s when the ban in passing back to the goal keeper to pick up was brought in too.

They didn’t do draws in the MLS.

Had that penalty shoot out type thing.

Start at the half way line and got 15 seconds to score.

When a player is injured as a result of a foul by an opposing team, If the player temporarily has to go off for treatment then one of the opposition should also go off until the player is able to return to the pitch.
It should be 10 V 10 for the duration of the treatment as it is unfair that a team gains advantage from committing foul play

That takes me back, our primary school (Bishoploch in Easterhouse) pitch only had one set of goals still standing AND the other class always got there first! (I vividly remember one time we got there first out of the whole P7 year)
So they could shoot into a proper goal while their goal was 2 jackets and as stated how high their keeper is and their keeper was the smallest guy in the school.
Not that I'm bitter about it and to be fair it was only 34 years ago :eek:

#notoverit
#buildabridge
#letitgo

I left Bishie over 50 years ago!!

Back