Alex Ferguson Documentary

Mark8

Official Ticketer
Anyone watched this yet?

Thought he came across very negative towards Rangers and seemed very resentful. Thoughts

I’m not overly surprised at the Rangers angle to be honest, I haven’t watched it yet but looking forward to it regardless.

Saw a snippet of him saying that his rant after Aberdeen’s poor performance in the 1983 SCF was mainly down to him wanting to put the knife into Rangers.

if looks could kill, archie macpherson would be dead when he mentioned fergie's last game for us was also a cup final, as he was about to leave aberdeen

He’s a strange character. He seems to move from mild support - attending games, friends with Walter - to outright hostility. I was at a Q & A he did 5 or 6 years ago and he said his biggest regret was not being successful at Rangers. Then he changes his tune.

You would think his recent brush with death would cause him to reconsider some of the grudges he carries.

So what did he say about Rangers?
he just felt he was treated unfairly by us, and that we used the cup final as an excuse to get rid of him, also says one of the higher ups at rangers asked him if his wife was a catholic and if they were married in a chapel, one things for sure, whatever happened between us and him, fueled him and gived him the drive and determination for the rest of his career

There's an interview with him in the link below. He said he was made a scapegoat for the 4-0 Cup final defeat to Celtic. Maybe he was but, if so, Jim Forrest and George McLean were made scapegoats for the loss to Berwick and Forrest at least was certainly a better player than Ferguson - and before that John Valentine was made a scapegoat for the 1957 League Cup final defeat by Celtic. Nothing to do with wives.

Half a century later how did Ferguson feel when Rangers won their first league title in 10 years this season? “The only time I really support Rangers is when they play Celtic. The big one. Jason is a Celtic fan. I love phoning him up when Rangers have beaten them. The funny thing is that the one team I always look for on Saturday night is Queen’s Park, my first club. I had a great learning experience as a 16-year-old lad playing for them. People think it’s an amateur team but you had to be tough to play for Queen’s Park. That was a great foundation for me.”

Half a century later how did Ferguson feel when Rangers won their first league title in 10 years this season? “The only time I really support Rangers is when they play Celtic. The big one. Jason is a Celtic fan. I love phoning him up when Rangers have beaten them. The funny thing is that the one team I always look for on Saturday night is Queen’s Park, my first club. I had a great learning experience as a 16-year-old lad playing for them. People think it’s an amateur team but you had to be tough to play for Queen’s Park. That was a great foundation for me.”

What i'm taking from Ferguson quoting that is that he's not that interested in Rangers and only looks for a Rangers win over that mob to have a bit of banter with his son.

"Lingering stench"

An ode to irony.
Yeah says Spiers who couldn't take it anymore at Ibrox and bailed out over to the Jimmy Savile Dome, to instead drown himself in the murderous hymns of hate towards British people, to regale in the joy at the slaughter of British women and children, and all to the clink of coins in the collection tins to fund the terrorist killers wreaking mayhem throughout our unsuspecting cities.
This, whilst dozens of children in the depths of that club's social folds were screaming as their innocence was ripped from them by a circle of dedicated and organized pedophiles as the upper echelons looked away or covered for their hundreds of crimes.
Yet, none of that particular stench even teased his socially well-attuned discerning nostrils?

Irony not so much, more the weasel words of a sophistic scoundrel dredging the gutter of a debased journalistic narrative.

That doesn’t fit in well with the United/SAF love in we’ve been having on here lately does it. As someone else said he’s a weird guy who goes from turning up at games and cheering us on to being very hostile towards us. Only supports Rangers when they’re playing Celtic and having a Celtic supporting boy doesn’t exactly scream “good Rangers man” as many would have you believe, does it?

Always thought it was a bit pathetic the way he’d recall loan players from clubs when they binned his son too, petty in the extreme.

I suppose that, in order to sell tickets and attract interest, parts of the film have to be sensationalist or lurid in some way. He's now reached a kind of cosy national treasure status and it's unlikely he would go for anyone in his United team, and the only big criticism you could have of his late United reign is that he didn't speak out against the Glazers, so he's not going to emulate Keane by attacking them in the movie. It looks like it's left to us to be the big old baddies again. Sigh.

What i'm taking from Ferguson quoting that is that he's not that interested in Rangers and only looks for a Rangers win over that mob to have a bit of banter with his son.
Strange how people can alter in how they present aspects of their life as things change around them and it is interesting how some simple yet often deficient investigative questioning could lay bare the contradictions in their claims.

Ferguson claims bigotry at Ibrox, fair enough, but fails to name the bigot?
Ferguson claims sectarianism at Rangers, yet the club already knows he is married to a Roman Catholic yet have still spent a record sum to bring him to Ibrox before the seemingly by then irrlevant conversation with a director.

Or is he claiming this was a make-or-break question before he signed?
I am not buying any of this, ergo, let's find out where he married his wife before we spend a huge sum of cash on his transfer?
I am sure the question was probably asked, but I am also of the mind that it was one of curiosity by someone whose own particular curiosity was tactless ugly and socially ill-designed.
The religious divide in Glasgow back then was, by today's standards, a thing of no human merit.

One has to wonder, what similar questions did they put to Tottie Beck or Kai Johansen etc regarding their spouses before laying out the dough?
Or was it just Alex?

Of course, Ferguson wasn't chased out of Ibrox, he fell out of favour like many players have done down the years, and in the era he played, it was better to find another club because financially first-team football was everything.
Further, he found himself in this position at a time of huge change around the club, had he stuck it out he may well have prospered.
Instead, he choose to move on, ... his choice.
Perhaps the fact he now knows he weakened and jumped ship before he needed to, was the lesson that gave him the most to forge his later determination to succeed in the face of life's setbacks.

The truth is, Rangers probably made him.

Over the years I have heard and read many conflicting accounts of Ferguson's relationship to the club he grew up supporting and played for.
Much of it depends on who is telling the story and when it is being told.
Needless to say, the Guardian newspaper will always want to focus as negatively as possible when discussing matters that relate to Rangers Football Club.

Strange how people can alter in how they present aspects of their life as things change around them and it is interesting how some simple yet often deficient investigative questioning could lay bare the contradictions in their claims.

Ferguson claims sectarianism at Rangers, yet the club already knows he is married to a Roman Catholic yet have still spent a record sum to bring him to Ibrox before the seemingly by then irrlevant conversation with a director.

I am not buying any of this, ergo, let's find out where he married his wife before we spend a huge sum of cash on his transfer?
I am sure the question was probably asked, but I am also of the mind that it was one of curiosity by someone whose own particular curiosity was tactless ugly and socially ill-designed.
The religious divide in Glasgow back then was, by today's standards, a thing of no human merit.

One has to wonder, what similar questions did they put to Tottie Beck or Kai Johansen etc regarding their spouses before laying out the dough?
Or was it just Alex?

Of course, Ferguson wasn't chased out of Ibrox, he fell out of favour like many players have done down the years, and in the era he played, it was better to find another club because financially first-team football was everything.
Further, he found himself in this position at a time of huge change around the club, had he stuck it out he may well have prospered.
Perhaps the fact he now knows he weakened and jumped ship before he needed to, was the lesson that gave him the most to forge his later determination to succeed in the face of life's setbacks.

Over the years I have heard and read many conflicting accounts of Ferguson's relationship to the club he grew up supporting and played for.
Needless to say, the Guardian newspaper will always want to focus as negatively as possible when discussing matters that relate to Rangers Football Club.
I'm sure he gave an RTV interview a few years ago, suggesting he was reluctant to leave Rangers but was given a very good offer from Falkirk and so left; realising, most probably, that he wasn't a first pick at Ibrox.

That doesn’t fit in well with the United/SAF love in we’ve been having on here lately does it. As someone else said he’s a weird guy who goes from turning up at games and cheering us on to being very hostile towards us. Only supports Rangers when they’re playing Celtic and having a Celtic supporting boy doesn’t exactly scream “good Rangers man” as many would have you believe, does it?

Always thought it was a bit pathetic the way he’d recall loan players from clubs when they binned his son too, petty in the extreme.
There’s hardly been a love in its just been people saying he was an excellent manager. In fact the majority have said they don’t like the man but respect the job he’s done

I'd have thought he'd have some sort of affinity with Aberdeen; going by that, apparently not.

Or was it just Alex?

He made the inference in his autobiography about Willie Allison being "of poisonous hostility" and "dangerous and despicable". His words, no one else. Anyway i was answering to Ferguson's words again, in his latest documentary, " The only time i really support Rangers is when they play Celtic. The big one. Jason is a Celtic fan I love phoning him up when Rangers have beaten them".

That comes across to me as Ferguson using a Rangers win to have banter with his son. Don't know about you but I've never known anyone who is only a Rangers fan when we play that mob.

There’s hardly been a love in its just been people saying he was an excellent manager. In fact the majority have said they don’t like the man but respect the job he’s done
Folk are always getting wound up whenever someone dares to say anything bad about him and that’s been the case for years, whether it be that he should have won more than 2 CL’s in 26 years, or that he’s a bit of an arsehole. Usually ends with them assuring the rest that he’s a good Rangers man/mates with Walter etc. But the first bit doesn’t really correlate with what he says.

The only time i really support Rangers is when they play Celtic. The big one. Jason is a Celtic fan I love phoning him up when Rangers have beaten them".

That comes across to me as Ferguson using a Rangers win to have banter with his son. Don't know about you but I've never known anyone who is only a Rangers fan when we play that mob.
Put it this way, what makes you happier? Rangers beating Dundee United, or Rangers beating Them? If you put it on a scale of 1 to 10, most clubs would be between 3 and 7, but beating Them is off the scale.

Put it this way, what makes you happier? Rangers beating Dundee United, or Rangers beating Them? If you put it on a scale of 1 to 10, most clubs would be between 3 and 7, but beating Them is off the scale.

He wasn’t saying he feels happier when we beat them over any other side though. He was saying he only supports us when we’re playing them, which i think it’s fair to say doesn’t really make him a Rangers fan in the traditional sense.

Read what Ferguson actually said.

I haven't seen the documentary yet, so can't comment on what is actually said regards why he left Rangers, but I'd be surprised if he states that he left due to the comment from the director.

Fergie wasn't good enough for Rangers and was replaced with a much better player in Colin Stein.

He knows this, but just won't say it out loud.

He was a great manager after he finished playing due to not being good enough for Rangers, it is what motivated him, all the rest is simply hyperbole and media shit stirring.

His auld man was a celtc fan, but him and his brother went to see the Rangers regularly and both were Rangers fans, I remember he spoke very highly of us in the match program Vs Man U in the CL several years ago, maybe someone can provide that article.

Last edited:
There's an interview with him in the link below. He said he was made a scapegoat for the 4-0 Cup final defeat to Celtic. Maybe he was but, if so, Jim Forrest and George McLean were made scapegoats for the loss to Berwick and Forrest at least was certainly a better player than Ferguson - and before that John Valentine was made a scapegoat for the 1957 League Cup final defeat by Celtic. Nothing to do with wives.

Bit rich for a guy that done similar to players he managed. Jim Leighton for 1.

Bampot. Still harping on after near 60 years. We get it Fergie ya fanny. Any mention of any cover ups at the Glitterdome.....????

His auld man was a tim, his wife was a tim and as such so would half his immediate family, his son was indoctrinated into the rotten mob before he went to Man U.
I thought his auld man was a prod that jumped the dyke.
There the worst, massive chip on their shoulder.
Prods hate them and never accepted in the RC world.

I worked with a Falkirk fan who’s now retired, we spoke about Ferguson about a year ago. I asked if he remembered any such issue as to the reason why he left Rangers and hiss answer was the same reason he ended up leaving Falkirk, which was he could have a bad attitude and rub people up the wrong way. In other words he could be a trouble maker in the squad and he wasn’t that good to keep around! I’ve no doubt that director asked him about his wife and I’ve no doubt it pissed him off, but he left as he pissed more off!

His father was Protestant who followed that other mob.
Maybe his father was the type of Protestant that had never seen the inside of a church, maybe he didn't care about religion, although he did not allow SAF to be raised catholic even though Ferguson's mother was catholic.

Maybe the Ferguson family didn't really give a f()k about mythical sky fairies.

Fergusons mother was catholic, when the Rangers PR man made the comment about his wife he was rightly upset, however he has stated in writing that it was not the reason for him leaving Rangers.

If people were to look beyond the labels of religion they will see the real reasons for Ferguson's anger at Rangers, he was a fan who's dream came true to pull on the jersey only to be told he was being punted cos he wasn't good enough, so much so he initially refused to be sold.

He is a Rangers fan who stood on the terraces as a kid, who pulled on the jersey and lived our dreams, he is also the greatest manager this country has ever produced, he will die a Rangers fan

Maybe his father was the type of Protestant that had never seen the inside of a church, maybe he didn't care about religion, although he did not allow SAF to be raised catholic even though Ferguson's mother was catholic.

Maybe the Ferguson family didn't really give a f()k about mythical sky fairies.

Fergusons mother was catholic, when the Rangers PR man made the comment about his wife he was rightly upset, however he has stated in writing that it was not the reason for him leaving Rangers.

If people were to look beyond the labels of religion they will see the real reasons for Ferguson's anger at Rangers, he was a fan who's dream came true to pull on the jersey only to be told he was being punted cos he wasn't good enough, so much so he initially refused to be sold.

He is a Rangers fan who stood on the terraces as a kid, who pulled on the jersey and lived our dreams, he is also the greatest manager this country has ever produced, he will die a Rangers fan
He's not a Rangers fan.

Back