The three reasons Rangers fans have fallen out of love with the Scotland national team

Bonnyloyal

The Scotland national team support was once heavily made-up of Rangers fans but that relationship has deteriorated over the past 30 years.

By
Jeff Holmes
  • 08:49, 8 JUN 2021
  • UPDATED09:20, 8 JUN 2021

'One man scores four; four men score one!’

The headline stuck out like a sore thumb; those big black letters grabbing my attention.

Scotland had thumped Cyprus 8-0 at Hampden in a World Cup qualifying match. It was May, 1969, and Colin Stein, who had recently joined Rangers for a record-breaking fee of £100,000, had bagged four.

He was already my hero, but now I had to share him with everyone else. Stein’s team-mates, John Greig and Willie Henderson were also on the score sheet.

I was almost nine, and it was my first international. The crowd was 40,000 strong, but I was among friends. My dad and older brother might have supported Patrick Thistle, but I was an apprentice bluenose, and the majority of the Hampden crowd that day were time-served Rangers fans.

The thought of a Rangers player in dark blue being booed, or the majority of Gers’ supporters turning their back on the national team would’ve been unthinkable back then; sacrilege, almost.

But that’s what I, and thousands more like me, have done. I still look forward to all the major tournaments, like the Euros, but I won’t be cheering on any country in particular this time.

So how did we get to this point? Perhaps we can rewind to the mid-1980s, when Graeme Souness lured England internationals like Terry Butcher and Chris Woods to Ibrox. Whenever these guys represented their country there was a whole host of Bears tuning in. But the majority of Rangers supporters still followed Scotland.

When the Geordie genius Gazza joined Rangers in 1995, a few more made the switch from the dark blue of Scotland to the iconic white top of England. It didn’t help when Mr Gascoigne made a complete fool of Colin Hendry and Andy Goram at Euro 96.

In 1994, the SFA had done something similar to Rangers striker Duncan Ferguson when they whacked him with an unprecedented 12-game ban for a ‘phantom’ headbutt on Raith Rovers player John McStay. It was a disgraceful punishment and Big Dunc refused to play for Scotland after that.

For me, though, the dam burst in 2012. The SFA put the boot into Rangers when the club was on its knees; when we needed help from our governing body, and that help was nowhere to be seen.

Our club was a mess. We’re the first to admit it, but the way we were treated was appalling.

Throughout my life I’ve always tried to follow examples set by those who conduct themselves in a dignified and respectful manner.

One man I had the utmost respect for was the late Sandy Jardine. He talked, we listened. He was the constant who stood up to those who wanted to beat our club with a stick – and, believe me, there were many.

We expected the canned vitriol from the other member clubs, even though Rangers – more than any other club in the history of Scottish football - has been there at the drop of a hat to bail out those who had fallen on hard times.

But that benevolence was nowhere to be seen when we needed it. When Sandy Jardine threatened to hand back his SFA Hall of Fame award due to the crippling sanctions imposed by the governing body, the gulf in relations between my club and the SFA was as wide as the River Clyde. Anti-SFA chants at Ibrox became the norm.

The 2014 Scottish referendum polarised our beautiful country even further. It was like those old school dances, with boys on one side of the hall and girls on the other. It was time to choose your side.

We’ve had Lee Wallace, Ian Black and Ryan Jack all barracked by Scotland supporters while on international duty for what one can only assume was due to their allegiance with Rangers.

Back in the day, when I was a regular at Scotland games, as far as I can remember there was little club tribalism on show.

We really all were united by a common cause, and that was to see Scotland come out on top, but I’ve a strong feeling those days are gone now, and in the past they shall remain.

That article, for me, hits the nail on the head and is exactly the reason why I don’t support the Scottish National Team. I don’t wish them any particular bad luck but indifferent to the point I couldn’t care less. On the flip side, I know there are many bears who can see past all that and I respect their attitude.

Sorry I get that we were badly treated, which we were. But I cannot deny the land of my birth. Rangers and Scotland, that’s me, it has a ring to it, it has always been so.

Rangers supporters born in Scotland supporting England, vastly exaggerated, nor can I understand it. I do not know any.

I also feel having Nathan Paterson, Billy Gilmour and, of course, John McLaughlin in the Euro Squad helps.

I think the fact that international football is, by it's very nature, nationalistic, is becoming a big issue for a lot of people, given the current situation in Scotland.

I'm still perfectly enthusiastic about the Scottish Rugby team but I struggle with the football, partly because of everything the OP said, but also because of 40 plus years of disappointment and failure, particularly in the 2000s.

It's a sad state of affairs but I honestly don't care any more.

It was the Duncan Ferguson incident for me that turned me away from the national team,at that time i loved going to Scotland games but I haven’t been to one since.

When Walter took over my interest came back a bit but not enough to make me go back the actual games.

Since then it’s been complete indifference to the national team but i was happy to see Nathan Patterson make his international debut on Sunday.

I was happy to see Walter and big Eck do well ( for them ), re the Scottish National Team, I never want to see them do well, they are The SFA’s team.

Totally cool with Bears who still enjoy supporting Scotland, just not for me.

Re the “ it’s our country too “ I d t feel proud to be Scottish, post devolution Scotland - the country has never failed to disappoint - I’m Scottish by birth, but it really doesn’t mean a great deal to me.

I’m also happy that my Scotland supporting mates are happy, when Scotland do well.

I also think that national football in general should be beholding to the clubs that provide, train and fund their player pool, not the other way about,

Last edited:
Can you enlighten us on why it’s a yawn ? The guy is 100% right imho. As a Scotland follower up until 10 years ago home and away before the traveling support were filled with Rugger buggers and female hockey teams it was some of the best memories I’ve had watching football, then we got self- appointed fan spokesmen yahoo’s that thought it was their duty to pull you up for having fun with pish like “remember your an ambassador for your nation” so me and my 11 other mates called it a day before we got into trouble knocking them out.

i recognise some of that but the reality is i just don't care about Scotland. i did when i was a kid but that was a very long time ago.

Sorry I get that we were badly treated, which we were. But I cannot deny the land of my birth. Rangers and Scotland, that’s me, it has a ring to it, it has always been so.

Rangers supporters born in Scotland supporting England, vastly exaggerated, nor can I understand it. I do not know any.

I also feel having Nathan Paterson, Billy Gilmour and, of course, John McLaughlin in the Euro Squad helps.
You'll be in a vast minority on here. Personally, i hope Scotland get pumped out without scoring a goal. F*ck the SFA and the Tartan Tossers who hate us.

Couple reasons for me are 2012, 2014 and the rise of Scottish Nationalism infecting the Scotland National team support. I refuse to sit in a stand with people who hate me because of the team I support.

The booing of Rangers players playing for Scotland. They can make up all the excuses they want, it was just a few people, it was at Pittodrie etc. Utter nonsense. Strict liability they want? Can't have it both ways.

It's also down to the lack of rangers players in the squad. Patterson will no doubt become a regular, hopefully Scott Wright will start to get in and if we bring in the likes of Kenny mclean, Lewis Ferguson and Kevin Nisbet that will help. Plus Jack and Mclaughlin.

Rangers always need a Scottish core. Hopefully this will increase next year.

Admittedly I have gone back and forth regarding my support for Scotland over the years but recently I decided I won’t let no mark nationalists and plastic paddy’s stop me from supporting the country of my birth.

as far as supporting England, we were raised to support all the home nations. Although I stop supporting England around the quarters as I couldn’t suffer listening to them if the actually won anything lol

SFA anti-Rangers bias and ineptitude is clear for all to see. I used to go to loads of Scotland games and now quite often dont even know they are playing. Havent missed a minute of the Rangers though seeason after season.

Dragging politics into the football debate doesn't help as it is far too subjective.

This is about as close to the national team I have felt in a long time and thats only due to the fact we have Patterson, McLaughlin and an ex Rangers player in Gilmour in the squad.

However saying that, I can see 2 of them barely playing and the other not playing at all as the manager has his favourites so to speak.

Always proud to support my country, there’s also a really nice feeling seeing Rangers players represent Scotland too.

Seeing Patterson play on Sunday was brilliant and there’s a real clamour for him to start during the tournament, not just from Rangers supporters either.

People are entitled to their opinion and can choose whether they support Scotland or not. However, it’s our country too and I would really like to see more of our support play an active role in the Scotland support.

As someone says above, Rangers and Scotland, it has a nice ring to it.

Can you enlighten us on why it’s a yawn ? The guy is 100% right imho. As a Scotland follower up until 10 years ago home and away before the traveling support were filled with Rugger buggers and female hockey teams it was some of the best memories I’ve had watching football, then we got self- appointed fan spokesmen yahoo’s that thought it was their duty to pull you up for having fun with pish like “remember your an ambassador for your nation” so me and my 11 other mates called it a day before we got into trouble knocking them out.

A week before the country's biggest game in years - the nation is buzzing - and some tit for the Daily Record writes a piece for rage clicks that stereotypes our support. Regardless of your thoughts on the national team, there are a lot - and i mean a lot - of Rangers fans who still follow them. You can't just paint us all in a broad stroke like that. The guy who wrote it would do well to remember that Rangers have provided more players than any other for the country and will continue to do so, now that normal service has been resumed. It's sad, because a lot of folk want us to give up on Scotland, and some play into their hands.

It's quite funny, because the same people who claim not to care about Scotland also never fail to miss an opportunity to tell us that. When you really don't care, you won't feel the need to mention it at all. You will instead act with a removed indifference, not writing about or clicking on the thread. Someone used the term pity party, and it's right. There's this bizarre urge for some fans to tell other fans how they feel about them. It's small time as f*ck.

"But the squad is filled with Rangers haters". Right. I must have missed McLaughlin, Hanley, Jack, Patterson, McLean, Gilmour, Fleck, McBurnie et al all being involved in recent times.

I agree with the sentiments of the article: I used to love Scotland but in the aftermath of the 2012 debacle, and especially the way in which the SFA and other clubs in Scotland did their best to destroy us and demonstrated how much they genuinely hate us, I feel a real disconnect from the national team.

Steve Clarke and his anti-Rangers nonsense, booing Rangers players representing their country (even when they are the best men in the team, like Ryan Jack), the massive hypocrisy of the 'Tartan Army' (we will 'invade' London and it is all good fun, but Rangers celebrating is a riot), the embarrassment of the behaviour of the 'Tartan Army', and the politicisation of the game by the SNP have all killed it for me.

I do not wish them harm (and I am embarrassed to say I do not want England to win) but I don't love the national team any more. I am pleased to see our players play there but that is as far as I go now.

I support Scotland when they are playing but I just find international football dreadful in general. Looking forward to the Euro's and enjoy the World Cup but the qualifying games are tedious shite.

The OP is bang on, the tartan trannies are an abject embarrassment and have been for as long as I can remember.

For me the issue goes back to when Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown were managers. The former used the Rangers Captain as a scapegoat for his own inadequacies and the latter refused to select him.

The treatment of David Robertson was also despicable, arguably the best full back in the country and between 92-94 they gave him 3 caps. Don't get me started on their treatment of big Dunc or the booing of Rangers players.

Scotland and the SFA have been a fvcking sham for years.

Rangers supporters born in Scotland supporting England, vastly exaggerated, nor can I understand it.

Many Rangers fans took more of an interest to England with the influx of top quality players. More and more would want them to win, probably with the exception of a game against Scotland. However, this is not exclusive to English players. We want all our players to do well for their country.

We all want to see any Rangers player on the international stage doing well. It benefits both the player and the club.

Personally, I like to see Scotland winning but don't lose any sleep over it when they don't. I don't, and never have, got as worked up about International football as I do about club football (specifically Rangers as other football often bores me).

Rangers fans have, rightly got issues with the SFA and as a result don't actively follow the National team. It can be argued that you are not following the SFA but Scotland, which obviously makes sense but Scottish society is also being turned against Rangers (and/or Unionism) and many rightly find that unpalatable.

The inclusion players like Patterson, McLaughlin and Jack (had he been fit) will help in the long run to a degree but attitudes of others in governing bodies, Government, the Tartan Army and society as a whole need to change before the majority of those attending the games are, again, Rangers fans.

It is likely going to be a long, long time before the attitude of most Rangers fans is anything other than indifference to the Scottish National team.

I grew up watching and supporting Scotland. I remember dancing round my room with as an 8 year old when Ally scored against Switzerland. I remember vividly the palpable excitement through the whole country in the build up to the Brazil game in 98.

Why on earth would I allow Nats and other associated Rangers-haters take away my supporting of my country? Why would I allow them to prevent future generations of Bears enjoying those moments?
It is much my/our national team as it is any of theirs.

I still want Scotland to win but my heart is not in it. When they lose it doesn't bother me. When Rangers lose I move from having a temper like a wild animal, to sorrow and depression.

There are a multitude of other instances where Rangers are treated differently. I'm sick of it. The "wee man syndrome" has ruined Rangers fans relationship with Scottish football.

Last edited:
I’ve told this story before, the most appalling racism I have ever heard at any match in the last 20 years was the last Scotland V England game. When Oxlaide Chamberlin scored, it was full on racism N word, I even heard c**n, then an empty bottle of whisky was thrown. I know this cause the england players celebrated at the corner I was sitting. It was language I’ve not heard openly at a game since prob late 80s, early 90s.

The disconnect I feel with those self aggrandising “tartan army foot soldiers” was cemented that day too. Two guys sitting behind me, full identikit “tartan army” cheap kilt, timberlands, glengarry with feather, you know, Twats. It became apparent that these twats knew nothing about football, but were only interested in getting pished and shouting abuse. Before the game started they were outraged that Kenny Miller was in the Scotland team….. he wasn’t it was Leigh Grifffiths, Miller had been standing in a suit and tie doing TV work right in front of us not 5 mins earlier.

I still want scotland to do well and would be delighted if they made it out their group at the euros. But I won’t be back to watch them again.

The OP is bang on, the tartan trannies are an abject embarrassment and have been for as long as I can remember.

For me the issue goes back to when Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown were managers. The former used the Rangers Captain as a scapegoat for his own inadequacies and the latter refused to select him.

The treatment of David Robertson was also despicable, arguably the best full back in the country and between 92-94 they gave him 3 caps. Don't get me started on their treatment of big Dunc or the booing of Rangers players.

Scotland and the SFA have been a fvcking sham for years.

The SFA nonsense with David Robertson, Richard Gough, Andy Goram, Ian Ferguson, and especially the shocking treatment of Duncan Ferguson. Personally, my own belief is that the SFA, indeed all the clubs and media up here, never forgave Rangers for revolutionising Scottish football after the signing of Butcher and Woods, the English captain and keeper.

Back