The three reasons Rangers fans have fallen out of love with the Scotland national team

I’ve always enjoyed going to Scotland games in the past . The Rangers supporters bus I used to go on years ago had a Wembley club and every two years they would fill the bus for the trip down. The OP is right though it’s all changed and although I still want us to win I don’t feel the same connection with the fans as a lot of them are very anti Rangers.

I agree with the ‘it’s our country too’ stance. As I’ve said in similar threads, we give tartan army types exactly what they want if we disassociate from our own national team and allow ourselves to be ostracised. I am a proud Scot and Brit and thus I naturally support Scotland in sports competitions. It’s nice to have our country to support in a football tournament for once! Just enjoy it Bears. Bursting for Nathan and Billy to do well.

I used to get to as many Scotland games as I could, and still remember going nuts to Caldwell's winner against France - even though my brother and I spent the first hour saying he was baws!

After being at a game were both Ferguson and Broadfoot were loudly booed (the later for simply playing for Rangers) and 2012 I feel away. I did try and get back and my last game was a 2-0 win v Malta (Berra and Griffiths), the guy in front of me had 45 on back of his shirt and I felt absolutely no attachment to the team at all just numb

So I couldn't really give a toss about them at all now. I'll watch the games, but won't be dancing about daft should they score or win.

my dad went to loads of scotland games, when i was born he was growing a beard for wembley however he has never taken me to a scotland game. The last game he went too would've been the rous cup when gough scored.

he said he stopped going mainly due to the arsehole fans. My uncles and my dad would work as bouncers down in wembley, make a good bit of cash a day or two before the game but the stories about fights with scotland fans is unreal. Said come the 80s the arseholes in the support was too much so had enough.

The quote on the OPs piece, re Rangers helping other Clubs, couldn’t be more than our exploits from Brechin up, how many Treasures rub their hands with the Blue Pound and saved them from extinction. Personally myself if they went out of business I wouldn’t give a shit, They we’re only to quick to see us exterminated, as for the rag tag Scotland, if they dropped down to a Luxembourg status, I would enjoy the Tartan Army’s Pain. There is and only and will be one Club I have supported for over Sixty Five years and that is Rangers Football Club!

It's also down to the lack of rangers players in the squad. Patterson will no doubt become a regular, hopefully Scott Wright will start to get in and if we bring in the likes of Kenny mclean, Lewis Ferguson and Kevin Nisbet that will help. Plus Jack and Mclaughlin.

Rangers always need a Scottish core. Hopefully this will increase next year

Sorry I get that we were badly treated, which we were. But I cannot deny the land of my birth. Rangers and Scotland, that’s me, it has a ring to it, it has always been so.

Rangers supporters born in Scotland supporting England, vastly exaggerated, nor can I understand it. I do not know any.

I also feel having Nathan Paterson, Billy Gilmour and, of course, John McLaughlin in the Euro Squad helps.
I agree with you. Hopefully the match threads when they come, remain full of positive Scotland fans. For those who don't support Scotland that's fair enough but it would make sense that they stay out the match threads, no point in them being in there if they don't care and just instilling negavity into it for all of us who do support Scotland and therefore have waited 20 years for this tournament, we are excited, so have an each to their own attitude and let us enjoy it.

Three reasons ?

Just one - Celtic’s infiltration of Scottish football in the attempt to kill out club.
And the rest followed suit I think that about covers it,never attended Scotland games anyway so no big deal for me but I did get behind them passionately not anymore. I’m pretty much impassive towards Scotland and I don’t see that changing oh and I love the Rugby team doing well .

The only time I have stepped into the theatre of screams was when Scotland played the Czech Republic and Gary McAllister was booed off when subbed was the last time i watched an international.
Add to that Craig browns shitfest ,the tartan fannies booing Rangers players and doh a fkn deer .
I will watch on TV but I really don't give one if we win or lose.
A sad reflection.
Oh and fck the SFA .

The article is correct on various points but let’s not downplay the fact international football is in the main very boring to watch, and in Scotlands case it’s been that way for decades. Most of us would watch a Scotland side from the 60s given the calibre of player on display. Even people that follow the Scotland side these days struggle to watch what’s on offer.

International football simply isn’t entertaining anymore.

Good luck to the bears that still get worked up about it.

I’m a former Travel Club member and wont be back no wish to be among them.

I could just about handle the lack of parity up until I watched people not from Glasgow dancing about Hampden singing and shouting all sorts about Rangers unchallenged around 2000-2005.

The whole scene was taken over by the weirdos that took stacks of SNP placards to Gothenburg in 1997 and handed them out.

To return to football.

The SFA and the clubs whose fans you stand beside attempted to murder Rangers FC and ensure you never witnessed a Scotland team with Rangers players in it. Ever again. That was what they wanted, absorb the fact and contemplate it.

Its done. Much as theres a section of Scottish society will never vote Conservative. There’s a section of Rangers fans that will never forget nor allow those that come after us to forget either.

That hurts, we are Scotlands standard bearers, but there’s only so far you can play the ‘be the bigger man’ game before you need to realise what they actually tried to do to Rangers FC. What they desire Scottish society and football to look like.

I’ve made this post several times, its not pleasant to write.

Good luck and enjoy the month if still wishing to be part of their team, is for you.

It's also down to the lack of rangers players in the squad. Patterson will no doubt become a regular, hopefully Scott Wright will start to get in and if we bring in the likes of Kenny mclean, Lewis Ferguson and Kevin Nisbet that will help. Plus Jack and Mclaughlin.

Rangers always need a Scottish core. Hopefully this will increase next year.
We didnt have a Scotrish core for most of season amd won 55. The scum had a lot of Scottish players and won nothing. Rangers need the best players for every position irrespective of nationality. They are employed by Rangers for Rangers, not to benefit the national team and a support that despises our players.

Rangers always need a Scottish core. Hopefully this will increase next year.
No, we absolutely do not.
Just read GL’s post (74).
Perfect summation.

For me personally, I just have apathy for the national team. I'm just tired of the constant lack of progress. We as a country never seem to produce good players, or play good football. Instead, we have to put up with acceptance of mediocrity and managerial dinosaurs, while media articles play up on the plucky underdog angle. We can produce better players, and we can have a national team that plays good football. We don't because those running the game here are stuck in the past.

The only time I have stepped into the theatre of screams was when Scotland played the Czech Republic and Gary McAllister was booed off when subbed was the last time i watched an international.
Add to that Craig browns shitfest ,the tartan fannies booing Rangers players and doh a fkn deer .
A sad reflection.
Oh and fck the SFA .
theatre of screams

:))

I was an avid follower of the national team as a boy. I loved the Home Internationals. The Scotland v England game being the highlight of the season, probably down to the fact it was one of the very few games shown live on TV.
I saw my first Scotland game in 1968 v Austria in a WCQ, we won 2-1 with goals from Denis Law and Billy Bremner. I was part of the 137,000 who turned up to see us play England in 1970. I saw Beckenbuer and the West Germans and Eusebio and his Portugese side. I saw the Brazilians in 1973, but the best of all was seeing Scotland defeat the Czechs in 1973 to qualify for the World Cup Finals in West Germany. We repeated that feat four years later too. The Scotland side of 1977 remains the best I've seen.
I,like the whole country, was caught up in the fervour leading up to Argentina 1978. I was gutted at what transpired and that's when it all changed for me.......the appointment of Jock Stein. To say Stein was downbeat is something of an understatement, he sucked the joy out of watching Scotland. Still, I went along to a few games, saw Davie Cooper make his debut v Peru and DJ gain his last cap v Belgium and I got to see the greatest player who ever lived destroy Scotland in June 1979.
I even went to Spain with three mates to watch us in the World Cup finals of 1982, but it was more about the holiday than the football although that particular Brazilian side of Zico,Socrates et al was a joy to watch and remain the greatest side I've ever watched. My last hurrah was in Cardiff 1985, travelling down on the Kinning Park RSC bus and Stuart Daniels memorable quote on the return trip, " Cooper kicks the winner, Stein kicks the bucket".

That was it for me, the intervening 40 years have brought me to a place where I rarely even watch Scotland. I don't actively want to see us lose, but if we do I couldn't give a single fvck, it matters not a jot. I can relate completely with the OP on the reasons for this, as I suspect, can thousands of Rangers supporters.

I do feel guilty not supporting our players. Those so called fans might have stopped booing, but they are still there. So f#ck them and f@ck the whole orginisation.

The OP is bang on, the tartan trannies are an abject embarrassment and have been for as long as I can remember.

For me the issue goes back to when Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown were managers. The former used the Rangers Captain as a scapegoat for his own inadequacies and the latter refused to select him.

The treatment of David Robertson was also despicable, arguably the best full back in the country and between 92-94 they gave him 3 caps. Don't get me started on their treatment of big Dunc or the booing of Rangers players.

Scotland and the SFA have been a fvcking sham for years.
Yeah, things started to go wrong under Roxburgh and Brown and for anyone to assess it and not mention them shows a lack of understanding of the history of it all.

its Groundhog day on FF every time international football is on. Same old arguments on why some do or don't support the Scottish national team.

At no point have I made a conscious decision to stop supporting, more a case of disgust at the utter contempt the SFA have for us. Then there is the child abuse, the way this has been handled makes me puke. The SFA are totally corrupt, maybe its a just coincidence that like other institutions they are infested with the wrong kind. I have no time for the Scottish nationalist team now.

When a man of decency and honour like sandy jardine has a problem with the sfa, then it's not just as simple as reclaiming our rightful place.

Sorry to say, but let's just say a lot of rangers fans did start going back, I could only see trouble. No way could I sit next to people abusing any of our players for no more than being rangers players.

As for this 45 crap they have going for them, I would tell them, well done for remembering the german defeat.

One of the best games I went to was scotland beating spain 3-1 and nobody was favouring any club, we were all there for one team,but that's been lost.

I still support Scotland but definetly not with the same passion I used to.

The thing for me is, it used to be simple supporting Scotland. Turn up have a booze get beaten (probably).

Now theres so many other factors involved and issues that werent there before. The booing of Rangers players was a big one for me, along with the fact that Scotland have been miserable to watch for the past decade.

Was at the England 2-2 game a few years ago and went wild when we scored.

On the way out i dropped my keys with a Rangers keyring and heard some teutcher guy say behind me " someone dropped their keys, ah its a hun im gona chuck them"
Managed to spin round in time to say they were mine and get them off him before he did.
Then the guy goes " I wouldnt say your a Rangers fan out loud round here"

Shows the attitude of a lot of Scotland fans towards us for me.

Nationalists and the hatred of all things Rangers basically for me. Last time I cared about Scotland was during big Eck’s time as manager, I used to love watching Scotland games.

The OP is bang on, the tartan trannies are an abject embarrassment and have been for as long as I can remember.

For me the issue goes back to when Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown were managers. The former used the Rangers Captain as a scapegoat for his own inadequacies and the latter refused to select him.

The treatment of David Robertson was also despicable, arguably the best full back in the country and between 92-94 they gave him 3 caps. Don't get me started on their treatment of big Dunc or the booing of Rangers players.

These two carry the can a fair bit for me.
Their refusal to select John Brown, especially around 93 in particular, sickens me.
That they picked another Rangers player, McPherson, and played him despite Smith moving him to full back, more so whilst disrupting a solid defence who went through a forty game plus undefeated run including ten European games, and would go on to win a domestic treble, proves their arrogance and folly.
Then they blame Gough for the defeat!

I still want Scotland to win, but I despise the SFA and have no time for the Rangers hating Nationalist arseholes who make up the vocal majority of the Tartan Army.

Still think that they shouldn't stop me from supporting the national team who I've watched since I was tiny.
Sums up my feelings too. I am 62 years old and was brought up attending Scotland games. Home Internationals, went to Italia 90 and many a family night watching Scotland on TV.
I am ex RAF and still have many friends south of the border.
I used to be proud of this wee country, but I detest what it has become.

The press constantly fail to report on the unruly drunken behaviour of the Tartan Army when they pester and insult the locals , hurling abuse and lifting their kilts up at passing females is one of their favourites , singing anti-social English songs. Every country they visit the residents are glad to see the back of them.The team has a Rangers hating manager , the SFA are blatant Rangers haters , why would anybody want to be part of that unless you were that way inclined......Not for me,

Proud Scot....Fiercely British......WATP

I have to take issue with the lack of Rangers players being a factor. The OP started attending matches in the late 60's as did yours truly. By the early to late 70's we had very good sides but Rangers players were extremely thin on the ground, Sandy Jardine being the only regular around 1972 to 74, with others picking up a handful of caps or none at all. During this period the Rangers support still provided the bulk of the Scotland support. The fall out from Argentina saw a seismic change in the make up of at least Scotland's travelling support with the former passionate win at all cost, devastated at a loss crowd to the tartan ''paradiddies'' happy to merely turn up and say they had a good time despite getting gubbed. Compare and contrast the emotions between exiting the World Cup in 1978, and 1998, in one we were spitting mad, casting around for scapegoats with plenty targets. Fast forward 20 years and we go into a winner takes all game and meekly fall to a 3 nil defeat, and it was ''oh well France was a nice country'' response, at least we got there.

I dont have it in me to support those that hate us. Im beginning to hate the country i was born in how can this even happen

Focusing on “recent” years.

The treatment of Ferguson and McGregor in comparison to others during the Cameron house bevy sesh was shambolic.

Wallace, Black and Jack getting booed by the Scotland fans on their debuts.

The treatment of rangers by the SFA (and the governing bodies that reside under the SFA) has been atrocious.

How any rangers fan can ignore that to support the Scottish national team is beyond me. And it’s a national team that consists of current or ex-mentally challenged players. (9 of the starting 11 last week was either a current or ex poet) :rolleyes:

Most of what I think has been covered adequately above.

That said, my tuppenceworth, however, is that until the SNazi, separatist/secessionist, economic illiterates running the nation (into the ground!) are but a tawdry footnote in this once great country’s history books, then I hope the succour they feed on, from a Scotland win or good performance, eludes them!

The bigot Sturgeon and her cult will conflate a football score as another reason to break up the country of my birth, and for which my ancestors fought. And she’ll do it every time! So I hope the team loses every match.

A game is not worth a birthright!

A sad reflection.
Oh and fck the SFA .
I remember that, what was the story behind it again?

Why yawn? He's spot on. Did you even read the article?

Agree mate - it is response like his that are defeatist and allow others walk all over us.

I have been to Scotland games and stood up and challenged anyone who has a pop at our players. Believe it or not, when I do so there are others who back me up.

I will still attend Scotland games but I will not sit quietly in Hampden and listen to scum have a go at any one of our players.

Boozegate didn't help matters either.
As I've said in previous threads, I was a regular at Scotland games from the mid 90s up until 2009 and would reguarly defend my support for the Scotland football team.

The above is what killed my enthusiasm for Scotland. The conduct of our players was not befitting of what a Rangers player should be doing on international duty. However, it should have been better known that certain players from other clubs were also involved and indeed admitted so in the aftermath but that was immaterial. The two Rangers players were caught and that was enough to spark the outrage.

I was at Hampden the following Wednesday night for the game against Iceland. Shagger and Ferguson were of course roundly booed when the line-ups were announced. Boozegate for me was merely an excuse for the vocal anti-Rangers element to have a go. If it was known at the time that Scott Brown was also involved, would there have been the same reaction. Doubtful. Scotland won 2-1 that night but I can't say that I was overly ecstatic when Scotland scored their goals.

My last game was against The Netherlands at the end of that campaign and to be honest, I'd only went because I'd already paid the ticket and that Nethetlands side were a very good team that played in the subsequent world cup 18 months later.

Back