Euro 2020 Euro 2020 thread

I think Croatia will finish bottom, they still have a quality squad but their star players are on the decline and haven’t played well when I’ve seen them.

Posted a list of teams that have lost to/drawn with them in the past few years, some relatively poor sides.

I’ve actually been a bit too vocal about their decline and worry about them making me look daft :))

I’m gutted for Szoboszlai, I presumed the Hungarian people were looking to seeing their golden boy on the world stage.

I think Spain are at a cross roads, some of their better players are ageing and young guys like Torres aren’t quite at the elite level yet.
The Italians have a nice balance of experienced and flourishing youth I feel.

They are definitely on the decline. Russia WC was the zenith for that squad. Haven't solved the Mandzukic problem at Striker and still rely on Luka Modric to produce the goods in midfield.

They could end up leaving us look stupid :)) but all of the available evidence suggests that this tournament will be one to forget for the Croats. I also don't think they use Borna correctly and they lack balance at fullback.
I agree - he’s a wingback and not a traditional fullback. They should put this defender they’re talking about in and play Borna in front of him and then they’ll see what he really offers

Will this be the format for every euros going forward?

Have to say I don't like the games being played across the continent. Much prefer one country being host.
The cross-continent hosts is only for this one as a special thing for the 60th anniversary of the tournament. Germany are hosting in 3 years.

I actually think Scotland will qualify from the groups now. They'll beat the Czechs in the first game and get at least a draw from the next two games.

Finishing 2nd actually gives you a half decent chance in the Last 16 as well looking at the path to the final.

I actually think Scotland will qualify from the groups now. They'll beat the Czechs in the first game and get at least a draw from the next two games.

Finishing 2nd actually gives you a half decent chance in the Last 16 as well looking at the path to the final.

They need to win the first game, if they do that they've got a good chance, if they dont it'll be a struggle.

Beat Czech’s
Draw with Croatia
Narrow loss to England
Czechs will be a tough game and for some reason i don’t fancy us to actually take all 3 points, think Clarke will play too negative in fear of losing first game.

0-0 vs Czechs
1-1 vs England
1-0 win vs Croatia

Decent performances, fairly solid defensively but lacking goals is my prediction but that results would easily take us through.

Czechs will be a tough game and for some reason i don’t fancy us to actually take all 3 points, think Clarke will play too negative in fear of losing first game.

0-0 vs Czechs
1-1 vs England
1-0 win vs Croatia

Decent performances, fairly solid defensively but lacking goals is my prediction but that results would easily take us through.
Would be heavily relying on GD there, I’m not sure that would get us through to be honest!.

That’s what I’ve been suggesting for a while DB.

Very doable.

Scotland seem to be gelling and hitting a bit of form at the right time as well. A year ago if the tournament went ahead they would probably have got humped but Clarke seems to have found a settled system now and I don't think they have anything to fear in that group. In the derby all the pressure will be on England as well.

Would be heavily relying on GD there, I’m not sure that would get us through to be honest!.
5 points surely be safe enough even if it was through in 3rd. Would just be like us to go unbeaten and not qualify though, glorious failure :))

5 points surely be safe enough even if it was through in 3rd. Would just be like us to go unbeaten and not qualify though, glorious failure :))
Sorry, I totally misread your post mate - yes 5 would be us through! :))

Last edited:
Really good odds.

I done Scotland to qualify @11/10!
I got 13/1 and stuck a fiver on. (To win the two games, not qualify!)

I also have a separate bet with a mate that if Scotland win even 1 game he owes me a tenner and if they don’t, I have to pay him a tenner

From front to back the Germans look imperious.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they went out and taught France a lesson in the first game.

I haven't had time to keep tabs on what going on outside of Rangers for a while so I'm going into this tournament pretty ignorant.

As usual though, because of Football Italia in the 90s, Italy will be my second team.

Seems to be growing confidence that Scotland will beat Croatia. I've only watched them once since the world cup. It was against Portugal and they were soundly beaten, and based on that they've regressed a fair bit since 2018, but looking at their team and they still have a few middle to front players that are better than anything Scotland have.

Thanks Laura.

Like I said I don’t think he’s particularly well thought of by fans or management, but I think he’ll start...purely because that twat Richard Wilson is talking about him not.

That’s the fella who said Katic had signed for Spartak and wouldn’t be near Rangers, only for him to be pictured at Ibrox 24 hours later :))

He’s not in my fantasy though, don’t think he’ll score any points and I don’t think they’ll progress...I did have him for sentimental reasons but the head ruled the heart in the end!
Just a wee update on this apparently Croatia did two “trial” games leading up to Euro and the defence stayed the same so looks like he’s going to start. Good for us as a club to have our players playing in such a high profile tournament. Hope they beat England. Or maybe draw is better

Portugal qualified with 3 at the last Euro’s, I reckon 3 should be enough.

In group A I think Switzerland and Wales will only get a draw with each other, then get soundly beat by the other 2.

Likewise I can only see Denmark getting 3 points from their group, so yeah 3 points and a good GD should get you through I reckon.
Denmark will beat Russia IMO and could give Belgium a decent game

Group F really is pivotal to the whole shape of the tournament, the winners have a very nice run to the semis - last 16 vs a 3rd place then quarters vs 2nd from D or E. Nice reward for winning the toughest group.

Plus there's which side of the draw 3rd in F ends up - given that's going to be either France, Portugal or Germany - one side of the draw could very well be absolutely loaded.

I think Denmark have a decent squad, but I like Russia and think they’ll beat Denmark, Finland and lose 3-1 to the Belgians!.

A lot of the groups are quite tight.

na russia have been pretty poor recently. since september theyve played 13 times and only won 5. watched them v bulgaria and they were brutal. Denmark will beat them imo

na russia have been pretty poor recently. since september theyve played 13 times and only won 5. watched them v bulgaria and they were brutal. Denmark will beat them imo
You are probably right, but I’m not quite on the Denmark train yet to be honest!.

KDB not happy with how the tournament has been planned out, England could potentially play 6 games out of 7 in London if they got to the final and Belgium have to go all over Europe to play their games. Called it a "fake tournament" :D

Belgium could be St Petersburg twice, Copenhagen, Amsterdam/Seville, Munich/Baku, London, London (if they got to the final). I thought Brussels was one of the original hosts for the tournament or was that taken away because of Covid?
I totally agree with him

Germany to beat France in the final.

England to lose in the quarter finals.

Scotland to draw with both the Czechs and Croatia and lose to England and fail to qualify.

I think Denmark have a decent squad, but I like Russia and think they’ll beat Denmark, Finland and lose 3-1 to the Belgians!.

A lot of the groups are quite tight.
I think Denmark have the squad to go far in the tournament, would certainly expect them to qualify from their group and they could get a favourable knockout tie in the next round

I think Denmark have the squad to go far in the tournament, would certainly expect them to qualify from their group and they could get a favourable knockout tie in the next round
Exciting mate, I’m sure that group will entertaining.

Do people want to see Gareth Bale (and Wales by extension) do well since its his last hurrah or are you glad to see the back of him after a few years sulking and somewhat wasting his talent?

KDB not happy with how the tournament has been planned out, England could potentially play 6 games out of 7 in London if they got to the final and Belgium have to go all over Europe to play their games. Called it a "fake tournament" :D

Belgium could be St Petersburg twice, Copenhagen, Amsterdam/Seville, Munich/Baku, London, London (if they got to the final). I thought Brussels was one of the original hosts for the tournament or was that taken away because of Covid?
He decided to say this now and not 2 year ago when it was known apart from the late changes to covid. England were set to be in Dublin Tuesday and then Rome the Saturday and many fans who go weren’t moaning.

Brussels had their matches taken away in 2017 as they couldn’t guarantee their new Stadium for it would be built.

Last edited:
Back