Scottish Rangers players who never got a cap.

Enclosure Blue

Official Ticketer
I've seen this crop up before, and a few surprising ones from what I remember. I'm trying to find out as many of the 'obvious'' ones as possible.

Let's be hearing the names.

One from way back, the first great centre forward of the Struth era, Geordie Henderson.

150 goals, top scorer 4 seasons in a row, won 4 titles in 5 seasons. No caps.

The fact is that throughout history there were fewer subs. For the vast majority of history no subs at all, then one, then two etc. It's only recently that we have been able to sit 7 or 9 guys on the bench and bring 3 of them on. If we were still using the rules from the old days then most of the players capped in the last 20 years wouldn't have got a single cap either.

The fact is that throughout history there were fewer subs. For the vast majority of history no subs at all, then one, then two etc. It's only recently that we have been able to sit 7 or 9 guys on the bench and bring 3 of them on. If we were still using the rules from the old days then most of the players capped in the last 20 years wouldn't have got a single cap either.

It's a good point. Scotland also used to have a good team, no shame in being kept out by the likes of Dalglish and Souness.

In my time, as others have mentioned above, the obvious ones were Bobby Russell and John Brown. Bomber in particular should’ve amassed a decent haul of caps. But the SFA cowards saw fit to overlook him. A disgrace.

There have been others who on ability alone could have flirted with a squad and possibly been capped in a friendly. One or two left Rangers and maybe belatedly on form, deserved a cap.

Of the names that spring to mind, one is Ian Redford. He never really excelled in a blue jersey but he probably deserved to be capped during the 86-87 season for Dundee Utd. You could make a case for Ted McMinn during the same season.

Another would be Robert Fleck who wasn’t capped until he moved to Norwich City. On form, that was a nonsense especially when you consider players like Gerry Crainey, Mark Burchill and Simon Donnelly managed caps just because they scored a few goals after breaking into the Mhanks first team.

Looking back, high hopes were had for Hugh Burns too. Granted, a bit difficult to displace Stewart McKimmie never mind Stevie Nicol, but Shug looked for a time like he could possibly make the grade.

Last edited:
Ian Redford won 6 under 21 caps but never a full cap.

Given that BJK was almost as cap-happy as Bertie Vogts, I think there is a case for a cap or two.

Ally Dawson was capped on the Canada / North America tour of the early eighties of memory serves me right.

John Brown is the major stand out for me. He could play in just about any position, and you know he would have given 100% - a great utility man and you need that at international level.

However he was bypassed for the likes of Tosh McKinlay, Tom Boyd, Brian Irvine, Derek Whyte and many other diddies.

In my time, as others have mentioned above, the obvious ones were Bobby Russell and John Brown. Bomber in particular should’ve amassed a decent haul of caps. But the SFA cowards saw fit to overlook him. A disgrace.

There have been others who on ability alone could have flirted with a squad and possibly been capped in a friendly. One or two left Rangers and maybe belatedly on form, deserved a cap.

Of the names that spring to mind, one is Ian Redford. He never really excelled in a blue jersey but he probably deserved to be capped during the 86-87 season for Dundee Utd. You could make a case for Ted McMinn during the same season.

Another would be Robert Fleck. Who, if I recall correctly, wasn’t capped until he moved to Chelsea. On form, that was a disgrace especially when you consider players like Gerry Crainey, Mark Burchill and Simon Donnelly managed caps just because they scored a few goals after breaking into the Mhanks first team.

Looking back, high hopes were had for Hugh Burns too. Granted, a bit difficult to displace Stewart McKimmie never mind Stevie Nicol, but Shug looked for a time like he could possibly make the grade.
Fleck wasn’t better than Mccoist, Johnston, Macavennie, Sharp, McLair, Sturrock, Nicholas etc. I don’t think John Robertson got many caps and he was better than Fleck.

Fleck was a good player too

John Brown is the major stand out for me. He could play in just about any position, and you know he would have given 100% - a great utility man and you need that at international level.

However he was bypassed for the likes of Tosh McKinlay, Tom Boyd, Brian Irvine, Derek Whyte and many other diddies.
Derek Whyte, an international footballer :eek:

Another would be Robert Fleck. Who, if I recall correctly, wasn’t capped until he moved to Norwich City. On form, that was a disgrace especially when you consider players like Gerry Crainey, Mark Burchill and Simon Donnelly managed caps just because they scored a few goals after breaking into the Mhanks first team.

You’re comparing two different eras there though, the fact that Burchill and Donnelly managed caps showed the decline of Scottish football (Creaney was never capped) Fleck faced serious completion in the mid 80s, you’re talking the likes of Dalglish, Sharp, McAvennie, Sturrock, Archibald, Nicholas to name a few, the fact that both McCoist and Johnston weren’t in the 86 World Cup squad shows the strength in that area ( though it was Mojos own fault)

Fleck wasn’t better than Mccoist, Johnston, Macavennie, Sharp, McLair, Sturrock, Nicholas etc. I don’t think John Robertson got many caps and he was better than Fleck.

Spot on...wee fleck was a great player but he had some serious competition at international level

I agree that he wasn’t better than the players listed.

The point I was trying to make, albeit clumsily, was if Gerry Crainey or Mark Burchill managed caps on form, surely the same logic could’ve been applied to Robert Fleck.

But essentially I agree with you, Robert Fleck though a good player, wasn’t anywhere near good enough to be an international mainstay.

Alex miller , 300 appearances for us across 3 decades but not 1 cap. Not the most gifted of players but surely merited at least one cap.
Alex did the simple thing all the time,win the ball and pass it on he was well liked as a player and didn't let us down very often

You’re comparing two different eras there though, the fact that Burchill and Donnelly managed caps showed the decline of Scottish football (Creaney was never capped) Fleck faced serious completion in the mid 80s, you’re talking the likes of Dalglish, Sharp, McAvennie, Sturrock, Archibald, Nicholas to name a few, the fact that both McCoist and Johnston weren’t in the 86 World Cup squad shows the strength in that area ( though it was Mojos own fault)
Agreed re Fleck as I mention in a reply above.

I’ve just checked Wikipedia and you are correct, Gerry Crainey was a B cap. I can remember for some bizarre reason Jock Brown creaming himself on a Scotsport international special and Crainey running about in a dark blue shirt.

The names you list were all good to excellent players and in Dalglish’s case, exceptional. Truth be told, I was probably reaching with Fleck although I stand by the premise that you are far more unlikely to get a fair shake as a young Ranger getting a cap on form as opposed to a hooped horror. And that’s not me being paranoid.

Bobby Russell
Gordon Smith
John Brown.

The first two can be put down to Ally McLeod. He didn't seem to like players from the treble winning Rangers team. Look at his treatment of DJ at the 1978 World Cup.

The sad fact is that during the early to mid eighties, Rangers were, generally speaking, so poor that other than Davie Cooper and Jim Bett, didn’t really have international class footballers.

Russell and Brown are an undoubted pair who were good enough to be capped more than once. As for Gordon Smith? I’m too young to properly remember him during his purple patch.

Bobby Russell
Gordon Smith
John Brown.

The first two can be put down to Ally McLeod. He didn't seem to like players from the treble winning Rangers team. Look at his treatment of DJ at the 1978 World Cup.
Didn't he score against Juventus that year? Very good player, on Youtube there's footage of a goal he scored against Celtic, at Ibrox, and that was the mark of a very good player to score that type of goal.

Back