Players you loved who maybe weren't that great

The Barrel

.....so obectively not that good but you took to them.

When I was very young I liked Ian Redford, as well as Jardine, Russell and Cooper, and the rest...but his tragic suicide threw up some comments about how most people (player included) felt he had never quite won fans over or played at his best. Perhaps harsh but my images don't seem to tally with folk who were there.

Later on I had some bizarre beliefs: Alan Lowing was as good as Hutton. I believed fully in Peter Van Vossen when he signed. I suspected Emerson would be great for us.

But a genuienly odd one was Mo Edu...I believed that our fans just didn't understand the 'Makele role' and WHY he never went to ground or got stuck in. I elevated him to a misunderstood genius. Really liked him despite him being decried every week by everyone else?!?!

Anyone you took to who perhaps was no-one else's #1?

Another vote for Big Marv. Just gave absolutely everything he had and he’s probably the most likeable guy on the planet too.

Immortalised

article-2596518-1CCDBDAF00000578-713_634x548.jpg

I really liked Holt. He wasn't great but he gave us plenty of effort and actually *was* an upgrade on what we had put up with for the previous 3 seasons.

Mo Edu couldn't pass water. Far from the Makelele role. That's why fans went nuts at him.

Kyle Lafferty - daft as a brush but by god he got good in the final months of a season, nice guy as well.

Ronald Wattereus - great all round goalkeeper, first goalie I remember seeing with the ball at his feet or throwing it who was better than some of the outfield players at picking someone out.

Ian Murray and Steven Whittaker as well. Both could play various positions and in Whittaker’s case played a vital part in some successful times for us.

We're a fan base that appreciates hard work and good attitude. Can take you far with our support. Novo a limited footballer if we are being brutally honest but loved by everyone in the support. Big Marv is another. Katic gets a lot of his negatives overlooked because of this (I think there's still scope for him to improve on all of his negatives). Halliday would be another.

I rated Holt - but with hindsight maybe I was a bit mistaken

I really rated Candeias & still do to an extent - but again with hindsight we've probably improved / progressed well beyond his level

Whatever limitations Big Marv had - they never interfered with amazing performances & that opinion hasn't changed over all this time

IMO his contribution was every bit as important as any one else in that team at that time - even if they were'nt silky, elegance personified

Luca Gasparotto came on as a sub at Ibrox once and my mate turned to me after 10 minutes or so and said he was the new Richard Gough. He was then raging any time he didn't make the bench or get any first team game time.

He's never been allowed to forget it. Think the boy's a fucking tree surgeon or something in Canada now.

Luca Gasparotto came on as a sub at Ibrox once and my mate turned to me after 10 minutes or so and said he was the new Richard Gough. He was then raging any time he didn't make the bench or get any first team game time.

He's never been allowed to forget it. Think the boy's a fucking tree surgeon or something in Canada now.
Your mate must be a Champ Manager player, because Gasparotto was Helander levels of awesome in the game!.

• Haha
Reactions: TQ3
Would score a screamer then trip over the ball five minutes later
One of my favourite goals he scored was against ICT, ball comes across the edge of the 18 yard box and he tries to fire it across the keeper but slices it into the other top corner.

Only Nacho.

.....so obectively not that good but you took to them.

When I was very young I liked Ian Redford, as well as Jardine, Russell and Cooper, and the rest...but his tragic suicide threw up some comments about how most people (player included) felt he had never quite won fans over or played at his best. Perhaps harsh but my images don't seem to tally with folk who were there.

Later on I had some bizarre beliefs: Alan Lowing was as good as Hutton. I believed fully in Peter Van Vossen when he signed. I suspected Emerson would be great for us.

But a genuienly odd one was Mo Edu...I believed that our fans just didn't understand the 'Makele role' and WHY he never went to ground or got stuck in. I elevated him to a misunderstood genius. Really liked him despite him being decried every week by everyone else?!?!

Anyone you took to who perhaps was no-one else's #1?
How can you form that opinion of Lowing on a couple of appearances? I’m aware that my question is at odds with your post, but it really is a weird one.

Incidentally my burd was his hairdresser when he was at Rangers.

Back