Players you loved who maybe weren't that great

How can you form that opinion of Lowing on a couple of appearances? I’m aware that my question is at odds with your post, but it really is a weird one.

Incidentally my burd was his hairdresser when he was at Rangers.
Just wanted to believe... production line.... sell one, bring through the replacement....

He's never been allowed to forget it. Think the boy's a fucking tree surgeon or something in Canada now.

Luca Gasparotto came on as a sub at Ibrox once and my mate turned to me after 10 minutes or so and said he was the new Richard Gough. He was then raging any time he didn't make the bench or get any first team game time.

He's never been allowed to forget it. Think the boy's a fucking tree surgeon or something in Canada now.
Can confirm

Stuart Munro and Ted McMinn.

Showing my age there.
For a very brief period in the autumn of ‘86 McMinn was arguably our standout performer, suddenly transforming from a bit of a peripheral, comical character few seriously rated to something of an idiot savant who caused utter mayhem in opposition defences for a month or two.

But that was it, this weird, flash-in-the-pan moment when folk were calling for him to get a Scotland cap before the flame flickered out again and he was offloaded to Sevilla after falling out of favour with Souness.

_51813275_diouf466.jpg

Willie Mathieson, Barcelona Bear.

I was too young to be a good judge of a player back then and revered all Rangers players.

I'd be interested to get the views of older Bears about how good or not Willie actually was.

Terry Hurlock.

You could count on one hand the number of times he gave the ball away in his Rangers career.

FBS
All people outside of Rangers, but unfortunately also a lot of Rangers fans, could see was a big brute clogging people.

Hurlock was a superb passer of the ball - he didn’t just win it well, he used it positively.

Last edited:
All people outside of Rangers but unfortunately also a lot of Rangers fans could see was a big brute clogging people.

Hurlock was a superb passer of the ball - he didn’t just win it well, he used it positively.
His ball to McCoist in the OF was tremendous.

Reactions: TQ3
I always liked Quinton Young back in the 70s. He scored some cracking goals, not least a screamer against that lot that won the very first Premier League game in 1975, and in front of a record crowd.

Barrie Mckay
Josh Windass
Martyn Waghorn
Andy Halliday

basically all of the Warburton Championship team. Think after feeling a disconnect with the players latterly under Mccoist etc the football and pride they gave us was a joy.

You should write to the manager and let him know that he made a bit of a mistake there.

I’ve heard he welcomes pointers from fans on how he can improve things.
Unless you Brian from East Kilbride, he can fúćk right off!! :)) :))

I believe Edu made us a better team despite him individually not being the best of players.

There's been loads I wanted to see given more of a run in the team, but I accept that it doesn't matter who plays as long as the job is being done.

For others in this category - I knew Vanoli was poor, but I liked his attitude at least. Always hoped he'd turn it around.

Big Bob malcolm wasn't the most elegant football or the strongest defender but would contest he had a wand of a right foot.

Oleg Salenko for me, I absolutely loved the guy and would always stick up for him when he was getting pelters.

Loads on here preferred Filip Sebo to Boyd.

PLG would be the manager version of this question. Not very good in his job but absolutely loved by online bears.

Waghorn, Halliday, Andrews, Edu, Hill, and Alexander(gk). I'm sure there's more.

Jim Stewart remains one of my favourite goalkeepers

I also was a Van Vossen fan and thought he would flourish when Advocaat arrived.

I thought Dean Shiels and Nicky Law were good enough for Rangers in the SPL.

And Halliday and Greg Stewart.

Back