Denmark were told to play the game by UEFA either that night or the following day

It just didn’t seem right that Denmark (or Finland for that matter) would want to play on 2 hours after one of their team mates effectively died on the pitch.
Lukaku said after the Belgium game it was difficult for him to play because his mind was away from the pitch.

Must have been harder for the fellas that were on the pitch with him.

Uefa couldn't give a toss about the players. Just like they made Dortmund play the next day after their bus was bombed and a player was injured.
Can’t remember who it was, but after Eriksen had gone off a player tweeted something like “and Uefa want us to play even more games, with no regards to the players health....”

Which I thought was quite crass at the time, but I suppose it does have its validity.

When they announced the game would finish on Saturday night, I was 100% certain it was a UEFA-influenced decision.
Exactly. Even though Eriksen had apparently spoken to them before going back out there’s surely no way them players were in the right frame of mind to go and play

Want to clarify straight away I think it was a bit off having them continue the game that day. Playing devils advocate a little though if it wasn't that or a continuation on Sunday what would the alternative have been?

There were probably no good options available to UEFA. I would assume there are protocols already in place, hence the potential 3-0 forfeit.

I suggested, on the night of the game, in the Euro 2020 thread that the teams had been made an offer they couldn’t refuse by UEFA. Cretins, as we know.
This was suspected by a large number of posters on Saturday evening.
Others said surely even UEFA couldn`t stoop that low?
Here`s the answer.
No feeling for the players, or supporters who had witnessed a tragedy unfolding before their eyes;(thankfully averted by the brilliance of the medics).
For UEFA, Christian Eriksen was an inconvenience; for nothing must stop their money making machine.
UEFA stink the place out.

They should have delayed any ask of the Danish team until the next day, and then looked at either playing the remaining half or finding another solution. Nobody should have been asking the Danish FA to consider playing the remainder of the game on Saturday.

A few commentators did highlight the ethics of UEFA at the time of the breakaway league when they pandered to the fans with their outrage. This is an example of UEFA as well as the lack of tickets for fans in finals.

It just didn’t seem right that Denmark (or Finland for that matter) would want to play on 2 hours after one of their team mates effectively died on the pitch.

I guess they just wanted the game out the way - coming back at noon the next day wasn't much of a better option, if at all when you throw in travel, press coverage and preparation for the rest of the tournament.

Sadly the time to complain about UEFA's heavy handed tactics that were dressed up as being at the request of the players was at the time and not a couple of days later after you have lost the game.

What was the reluctance to play the game the next day? A lot of the reporting on the day was that he woke whilst in hospital. But he was awake and speaking as he was wheeled off the pitch and the players were walking with him. At that point it was clear he was in recovery. I agree they shouldn’t of played an hour later but surely a nights rest and await further news on him which has continued to be positive would of sufficed. Ultimately, witnessing something like that is never going to leave you, the damage mentally is done. So, then do they withdraw themselves from the tournament due to it. I think UEFA should of insisted they have a nights rest and come back to finish the game the next day

Knew it at the time. Even if the players had demanded to play the game within the time frame the governing body should have acted humanely and rescheduled. The decision should never have been with the players.

Uefa had the audacity months ago to take the moral high ground, didn't take long for them to resume their position as utter scum bags.

What was the reluctance to play the game the next day? A lot of the reporting on the day was that he woke whilst in hospital. But he was awake and speaking as he was wheeled off the pitch and the players were walking with him. At that point it was clear he was in recovery. I agree they shouldn’t of played an hour later but surely a nights rest and await further news on him which has continued to be positive would of sufficed. Ultimately, witnessing something like that is never going to leave you, the damage mentally is done. So, then do they withdraw themselves from the tournament due to it. I think UEFA should of insisted they have a nights rest and come back to finish the game the next day

Denmark players said there was no point waiting to play it the next day as they wouldn't have slept anyway.

Because they are sportsmen and they don't want to appear as weak. It's the same reason that refs and coaches stop fights, sportsmen are competitors and can't see the bigger picture at times. It's in these times they need people to act on their behalf. Continuing on the same day should never have been an option.

This was suspected by a large number of posters on Saturday evening.
Others said surely even UEFA couldn`t stoop that low?
Here`s the answer.
No feeling for the players, or supporters who had witnessed a tragedy unfolding before their eyes;(thankfully averted by the brilliance of the medics).
For UEFA, Christian Eriksen was an inconvenience; for nothing must stop their money making machine.
UEFA stink the place out.
Very true and well put. But how many of us will flock to Ibrox if we are allowed back in and we qualify for the CL? Just fuelling their greed but using it watching Glasgow Rangers play on the big stage?

honestly UEFA should have built in some padding game days, especially due to covid

UEFA are the ultimate jobsworths, nothing matters more than the efficient running of the tournament - witness the fines for clubs starting European club games slightly late. Run by administrators and marketers who want every font correct and every sponsor's logo straight, but no feeling for the people involved.

Denmark players said there was no point waiting to play it the next day as they wouldn't have slept anyway.
I can understand that but he was awake and alert. As I say the damage mentally is done witnessing such a thing. When should they of played the game? Cos any decision impacts on the other team and their recovery and prep for the next game.

I did question whether it was the players idea or UEFA making that suggestion.

They have previous for it when the Dortmund team bus was attacked by a bomb.

I actually assumed the players had been given good news, which allowed them to carry on.

I said at the time of the breakaway, let's not fall into the trap of UEFA being the good guys here. Didnt take them long to prove my point.

When should Denmark have been asked to play the match?

Tragedy occurs throughout every aspect of our lives and it comes in many forms.
The greatest reaction human beings can offer in the face of tragedy is a determination to carry on with life.

Christian Eriksen thankfully appears to be recovering from his ordeal and the world wishes him a full recovery if possible.
However, life cannot come to a total standstill, notwithstanding the shock football was given from the terrible event.

I accept that the matter affected the Danish team and it may possibly undermine their entire tournament, how can it not, but no one is to blame.
Life is always uncertain and nothing can be assured, that is why we should embrace it whilst we can with all the vigour we can muster.

Last edited:
A few commentators did highlight the ethics of UEFA at the time of the breakaway league when they pandered to the fans with their outrage. This is an example of UEFA as well as the lack of tickets for fans in finals.

UEFA and ethics o_O

The SFA and ethics :eek:

Back