Denmark were told to play the game by UEFA either that night or the following day

UEFA are scum. I think the fairest way would have been to award both teams a point each as the score line was 0-0 at the point of the Erikson incident.

IMO Finland had an advantage when the game restarted. The Denmark players minds were all over the place and wouldn’t have been able to fully focus on the game.

Same uefa that insisted on the European Cup final being played on the night of Heysel..and insisted on Leeds playing after 2 fans murdered before game in Turkey..Dortmund also made to play after terrorist attack on their bus... forcing the Danes to play is no surprise at all.

When should Denmark have been asked to play the match?

Tragedy occurs throughout every aspect of our lives and it comes in many forms.
The greatest reaction human beings can offer in the face of tragedy is a determination to carry on with life.

Christian Eriksen thankfully appears to be recovering from his ordeal and the world wishes him a full recovery if possible.
However, life cannot come to a total standstill, notwithstanding the shock football was given from the terrible event.

I accept that the matter affected the Danish team and it may possibly undermine their entire tournament, how can it not, but no one is to blame.
Life is always uncertain and nothing can be assured, that is why we should embrace it whilst we can with all the vigour we can muster.
Brilliant post.

I’m glad the player is recovering.

But everything else speaks to our inability as a culture to deal with one of life’s two certainties.

Something I believe we imported from the USA.

I think it was right to play.

Eriksen himself said 'go out and play on lads'. And it had become clear that Eriksen was stable and talking etc.

Correct decision imo.

But everyone said that UEFA were the good guys, cos they stopped the ESL?

Arguably the third most corrupt organisation in the world, just below the church of Rome and FIFA in positions 1 & 2 respectively.

Brilliant post.

I’m glad the player is recovering.

But everything else speaks to our inability as a culture to deal with one of life’s two certainties.

Something I believe we imported from the USA.

Theres a time and a place for these things. My staff take calls from suicidal claimants. Callers are often exceptionally distressed and threatening to end it. If one of my staff gets a call like that then I support them. It's very much about whether or not they're even capable of finishing their shift, never mind whether it's right to put them back on phones. The Danes saw their teammate collapse and saw medics working on him to try (thankfully successfully) to save his life. Something like that? They could have given the Danish team a bit of time before deciding what to do. I believe Denmark are playing all 3 games in Copenhagen. Russia play Denmark in game 3 and the Russians will travel from St Petersburg to Copenhagen. Finland play Belgium in St Petersberg in game 3. Would it really have been a big issue for that game to have been finished the day after the group's 3rd round of matches?

It was nauseating how many fans were pandering to UEFA like they were the 'good guys' during the ESL fiasco - they're a morally bankrupt cartel run by and served for the elites that plunder money from the game. Stories like this are wholly unsurprising.

Nothing gets in way of UEFA's tournaments.

Even the manner of their statement on Friday was all wrong where the rescheduling of the game seemed more important than an update on the players condition.

Wasn't aware they told they forfeit the game 3-0 if they were unable to play in either option
That aspect of it doesn't sit right. Though I've said further up the thread there didn't seem to be a lot of obvious viable alternatives for UEFA.
I get that they are not good guys on the whole but was a case of between a rock and a hard place for me. I'm sure if they put the game back a few days a lot would have been vilifying them for making the teams play games so close together.

I can understand that but he was awake and alert. As I say the damage mentally is done witnessing such a thing. When should they of played the game? Cos any decision impacts on the other team and their recovery and prep for the next game.

I agree. They just wanted it over and done with as delaying the games just drags it out. Tough call for everyone involved.

Nothing gets in way of UEFA's tournaments.

Even the manner of their statement on Friday was all wrong where the rescheduling of the game seemed more important than an update on the players condition.

There was two statements confirming he was stable before they agreed to play the game.

It sounded at the time as if they players chose to play on, not that they were given an ultimatum.

Heads would have been scrambled at the time, they should have just forfeited as on a purely sporting level they were unlikely to win given what they had just witnessed.

That aspect of it doesn't sit right. Though I've said further up the thread there didn't seem to be a lot of obvious viable alternatives for UEFA.
I get that they are not good guys on the whole but was a case of between a rock and a hard place for me. I'm sure if they put the game back a few days a lot would have been vilifying them for making the teams play games so close together.
Of course it doesn't sit right but as you say they gave 2 options and if the final decision is left to the players as we were 'told' then what can UEFA do

The scheduling itself is tight

Last edited:
This shows how hopeless and out of touch UEFA really are. there are times when football takes a second place. Game could have completed today, be no issue with that at all.

Theres a time and a place for these things. My staff take calls from suicidal claimants. Callers are often exceptionally distressed and threatening to end it. If one of my staff gets a call like that then I support them. It's very much about whether or not they're even capable of finishing their shift, never mind whether it's right to put them back on phones. The Danes saw their teammate collapse and saw medics working on him to try (thankfully successfully) to save his life. Something like that? They could have given the Danish team a bit of time before deciding what to do. I believe Denmark are playing all 3 games in Copenhagen. Russia play Denmark in game 3 and the Russians will travel from St Petersburg to Copenhagen. Finland play Belgium in St Petersberg in game 3. Would it really have been a big issue for that game to have been finished the day after the group's 3rd round of matches?

I don't think that the challenges your staff face compared to what happened are an entirely fair comparison although I will concede that we tend to overlook the humanity of professional athletes.

Something awful and freakishly unexpected happened. After it had been established that the player was alive and stable.

I've actually been playing 5s when a friend collapsed and died in my arms on the sports hall floor. Of course we didn't continue because of the situation and the arrival of paramedics etc but I've also been on the field when someone has suffered a series injury and we've played on.

I don't see what purpose abandoning the game would have served.

It is even possible (though I'm sure not UEFA's motivation) that having the immediacy of the game would have helped the players in the long-term although, I accept it clearly impacted the Danish performance.

edit: A point I was tying to make (unsuccessfully) was that in the moment, a stranger suffering a spiral fracture of his tibia was far more traumatic than my mate collapsing and dying because of the noise and pain, I would assume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listened to it on talk sport earlier. I think they said they were given three choices

- continue a little later, as they did.
- replay the next day
- forfeit the match 3-0

i think uefa as scum. Up to their necks in all sorts.

but, I’m not sure what else they could have done.

clearly eriksen was the priority, but he was taken to hospital. Uefa can’t do much else other than to make sure the tournament progresses.

unless I’m missing something?

I don’t think it would matter what UEFA said people just like being outraged at them. I’m not sure what the alternative would be for completing the groups and moving into the next stage if the game wasn’t played at the weekend.

Slightly off at a tangent...I personally knew some businessmen on the SFA board in the 1970's and dodgier c*nts you couldnt wish to meet. I'm not sure what attracts them to football (power and popularity perhaps) nor indeed why football seems to tolerate them but it doesnt take too stretch of the imagination to see them right though the football world.

Listened to it on talk sport earlier. I think they said they were given three choices

- replay the next day
- forfeit the match 3-0

clearly eriksen was the priority, but he was taken to hospital. Uefa can’t do much else other than to make sure the tournament progresses.

I agree.

Uefa are twats as we all know.

But i think the options they provided with regards to the game were absolutely fair. Especially as it was known that Erisksen was in a far more positive situation and was awake and talking etc.

The show must go on, as they say.

When it comes to respect for UEFA ...

not an organisation which deserves sympathy do they
Which changes nothing about why people want the Billy boys stopped. Rangers will be kicked out of Europe. That’s the only consideration for anybody who wants a successful club. Rangers being kicked out is not getting it up UEFA or anybody else. Not the thread for it so maybe if you want to keep singing the Billy boys you should start a thread to debate the merits.

- replay the next day
- forfeit the match 3-0

Height going by your name :p:p:p

Which changes nothing about why people want the Billy boys stopped. Rangers will be kicked out of Europe. That’s the only consideration for anybody who wants a successful club. Rangers being kicked out is not getting it up UEFA or anybody else. Not the thread for it so maybe if you want to keep singing the Billy boys you should start a thread to debate the merits.
pretty sure its in the FF locker somewhere

- replay the next day
- forfeit the match 3-0

Probably not, but I think having it spaced all over Europe is being found out again.

If it was in one country, they might have been able to justify pushing the restart of the game back until the end of the group stage, or at least on one of the rest days, and then finished it then.

However, because it's possible to qualify if you finish 1st-3rd and games are being played everywhere, the two/three teams in the group wouldn't know if they're playing in Seville, Amsterdam or Bucharest in the next couple of days, during an ongoing pandemic.

Obviously I'm glossing over the issues surrounding the "fairness" of restarting a game after all the other games had finished, but UEFA are between a rock and a hard place. I don't think they had much choice, but it is partly their own making.

Wonder what UEFA would've done if he'd died. Do they even have protocols for such events? You'd think they must do.
well in 2003, Cameroon played the final 3 days later when Marc Viven-Foe had a similar cardiac arrest, was taken off the pitch and died in the medical centre in Lyon

not the same company but FIFA are practically the same ethics. As much as it was played as a celebration of Foe, a lot of the players on both sides said the game shouldn't have been played. If the efforts to revive Eriksen didn't work, the tournament would have still continued I expect because money

I don’t think Finland would necessarily agreed to that. They celebrated that win with some vigour
They might have taken it, Denmark were all over them before the game stopped. Don't think Finland had even had a shot at that point.

Same uefa that insisted on the European Cup final being played on the night of Heysel..and insisted on Leeds playing after 2 fans murdered before game in Turkey..Dortmund also made to play after terrorist attack on their bus... forcing the Danes to play is no surprise at all.
I thought the same as you a shocking decision to play European cup immediately after deaths of juventus fans in 80 s
UEFA are scum

Sums UEFA up.

The Danes probably should have said to award the 3-0 defeat and see the backlash.

It's similar to how I felt we should have acted in the 2nd leg of the Prague game.

It's the "obvious" thing to do when something so serious is in play. There's a number of other factors which have to be considered in the wider picture all the same.

The players should quite possibly just have said no and let Uefa be the bad guys.

I did think that it was fine (if they all agreed and had Eriksen's nod to play too) if they wanted to go ahead and finish the game.

It's a tough situation all round.

I think the only thing saving Uefa's skin at this point is the fact that Eriksen is recovering and doing as well as could be expected.

The result has obviously raised more questions than it might had the drawn or won the game. I feel for Finland in among it all too.

Is anyone surprised by this? UEFA care more about the administration of the competition and their sponsor and TV cash than players or fans
Their tweet proved it when it said they were having a crisis meeting and there was one sentence at the bottom of the tweet regarding Christian Eriksen.

Haven't seen the incident (been away), heard about it

Denmark should have walked out of the room with a simple comment "our players safety and well-being is more important than a match of football"

If uefa have them a 3-0 loss, I doubt Finland would have accepted it and the backlash from the public would have been mental

Disgraceful but not surprising from UEFA. Did find it strange when it was said both team wanted to go ahead. What they really meant was both team preferred to play that night rather than the next day

Back