Euro 2020 Scotland Vs Czech Republic

Be interesting to note from Marks posting of today’s written press, to see if they are as sycophantic, though shall not criticise the NT as the Beeb were.

vomit inducing

Exactly mate.

The whole set up continues to be an absolute shambles.

I fully expect the team to be soundly beaten in the remaining fixtures and to be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t score a single goal.

Perhaps that could be the wake up call to the whole Scottish football community that something need to change.

I won’t hold my breath. There’s too many under qualified no marks, in high positions with their noses in the troughs.

I could have told you that game was going to happen as soon as they qualified.

Scotland have fully embraced the diddy team mindset of being 'just happy to be there'. About a decade ago, Roy Keane absolutely slaughtered ROI fans and coaches for having that mentality. You won't hear such dissenting voices in the Scottish media, instead you have Darren Fletcher giving it the happy clappy pish post-match and them talking about how great the atmosphere was when the game started.

Ryan Christie was always going to start despite turning in a season that shouldn't have even seen him included in the squad. David Marshall was always going to start in goal despite being dropped by a Derby team who were on the verge of being relegated from the English Championship. This is allowed to pass without much scrutiny or criticism.

Clarke basically gets a free pass from the media because he won a few penalty shoot outs that another coach put him in the position for. No one asks why a manager is entering a tournament without even roughly knowing his best starting eleven. No one asks why we're the only country that seems to see lumping it up to the big guy up front and picking a genuinely dreadful footballer at right back so he can challenge for long diagonals as legitimate offensive tactics in 2021.

It's utter pish and being a wee country isn't the excuse for it.

Scotland have fully embraced the diddy team mindset of being 'just happy to be there'. About a decade ago, Roy Keane absolutely slaughtered ROI fans and coaches for having that mentality. You won't hear such dissenting voices in the Scottish media, instead you have Darren Fletcher giving it the happy clappy pish post-match and them talking about how great the atmosphere was when the game started.

Ryan Christie was always going to start despite turning in a season that shouldn't have even seen him included in the squad. David Marshall was always going to start in goal despite being dropped by a Derby team who were on the verge of being relegated from the English Championship. This is allowed to pass without much scrutiny or criticism.

Clarke basically gets a free pass from the media because he won a few penalty shoot outs that another coach put him in the position for. No one asks why a manager is entering a tournament without even roughly knowing his best starting eleven. No one asks why we're the only country that seems to see lumping it up to the big guy up front and picking a genuinely dreadful footballer at right back so he can challenge for long diagonals as legitimate offensive tactics in 2021.

Darren Fletcher was an absolute embarrassment post match. Total loser mentality. I bet SAF was cringing listening to him.

Darren Fletcher was an absolute embarrassment post match. Total loser mentality. I bet SAF was cringing listening to him.

It was completely disingenuous. Comparing the start to Portugal's in 2016.

Can you imagine him getting away with that turd polishing in a dressing room under SAF? Would have been told to sit down and fück up in five seconds flat.

Excellent post.

That idiot Clarke needs sacked after this Tournament, playing O'Donnell is one thing but the first three times he was neear the ball he back heeled one out of play, ran into Christie stopping his momentum, and crossed the ball 3 inches off the ground, absolutely pathetic!!!!!!!

He should have pulled him at half time. Don't get me started on subbing McGregor in. I knew Clarke would never play Gilmour or Patterson. What a major emabarressment. The second goal was a disastrous mistake too. It was like watching the keystone cops.
Nathan will make that position his own for years to come, but for this tournament surely even the boy Liam Palmer from Wednesday would have been a better player for the squad than O'Donnell, surely, he must be, he cannot be any worse

I’m in a WhatsApp group with half a dozen mates who are more into the national team than I have been in many years.

Their reactions were predictable - “we gave a big performance and unlucky …. Don’t care as long as we beat England ….. at least we’re there !!”

Shook head, laughed, left group. A small potatoes, loser mentality 23 years ago that still prevails today.

I agree completely and until that type of mindset is gone then they will never move forward.

Look at Gerrard for example did he settle for just being happy to qualify for the Europa League group stages? Absolutely not because the man doesn’t have the loser mentality that so many are willing to accept up here.

It was completely disingenuous. Comparing the start to Portugal's in 2016.

Can you imagine him getting away with that turd polishing in a dressing room under SAF? Would have been told to sit down and fück up in five seconds flat.
Yip. By a number of his team mates even before SAF got a hold of him.

Scotland need to hire a young, tactically innovative coaching team and give them 8-10 years to build up all the national teams from U17s up. They would probably have to hire from outside the country and I would look to Germany or Portugal as they are producing a lot of good young managers right now.

Scotland need to hire a young, tactically innovative coaching team and give them 8-10 years to build up all the national teams from U17s up. They would probably have to hire from outside the country and I would look to Germany or Portugal as they are producing a lot of good young managers right now.
Exactly. Going with the same tired old failures time after time and expecting things to be different. The game in this country has needed root and branch change for what seems like my entire life. Why can't we produce technically gifted, tactically aware footballers? Watching O'Donnell yesterday was genuinely painful. He'd be a Sunday league player down south.

Exactly. Going with the same tired old failures time after time and expecting things to be different. The game in this country has needed root and branch change for what seems like my entire life. Why can't we produce technically gifted, tactically aware footballers? Watching O'Donnell yesterday was genuinely painful. He'd be a Sunday league player down south.
The O'Donnell thing is purely on Clarke.

His selection is ridiculous, there's not much to analyse about it he should just never be playing in a game at that level.

Where are they though? We play in a league where most of the teams are willing to give jobs to no marks from the league of Ireland because they must be the cheap option.

After Clarke it will no doubt be McInnes. Another clown who probably wouldn’t have set up much differently than yesterday.

Where are they though? We play in a league where most of the teams are willing to give jobs to no marks from the league of Ireland because they must be the cheap option.

After Clarke it will no doubt be McInnes. Another clown who probably wouldn’t have set up much differently than yesterday.
Thats why we need to go foreign even if that is only as far as England although Germany would be my choice. The overhaul needs someone from the outside with no previous notions about Scottish football and an unbiased view.

I made the mistake of defending Steve Clarke a bit on here before, but when I saw the lineup I said straight away we are losing this game because that team isn’t anywhere near good enough. Poor but predictable selections from Clarke, sticking with his trusted boys.

Thats why we need to go foreign even if that is only as far as England although Germany would be my choice. The overhaul needs someone from the outside with no previous notions about Scottish football and an unbiased view.
I’m not a fan of countries having foreign coaches. It should be your country against the other including coaches imo.

I did however say to my old man last night only a Scottish manager doesn’t play the most technically gifted midfielder available and instead play three guys who run around a lot.

How do you think we will line up against England then?

I bet the ONLY changes will be Adams for Christie, and Cooper for Tierney you just know it.

Not a great start. I think I've grown accustomed to being a neutral at tournaments, I couldn't enjoy it as much rooting for a team.

I’m not a fan of countries having foreign coaches. It should be your country against the other including coaches imo.

I did however say to my old man last night only a Scottish manager doesn’t play the most technically gifted midfielder available and instead play three guys who run around a lot.

There isn't a single scrap of technical ability in McTominay, McGinn or Armstrong mate.

All about perspiration and fuuck all inspiration.

How do you think we will line up against England then?

I bet the ONLY changes will be Adams for Christie, and Cooper for Tierney you just know it.
I took England-1 last night. I think they will beat us by as many as the want to.

He played Forrest at RWB in one of the friendlies I’m sure and made that sub last night so it wouldn’t surprise me if he played him there Friday tbh.

Nisbet was more of a threat in the 10 minutes he had than Dykes.
Nisbett was crap too - if Wykes and him are what Celtic are looking at next season then I’m rubbing my hands. He may go on to be a good player in a few years but on yesterday’s showing he is miles away from elite level.

I would generally agree, but who was the last good Scottish coach? If we stick with Scots only our next 3 managers will be, in order, McInnes, Ross and then Davidson.

The only country in the world who could bring in a guy who revolutionised Dutch football (Rinus Michels), ask him to evaluate and recommend changes to improve Scottish football ….. and completely ignore said recommendations, probably because it would have involved effort, spending money and some back bone to see them through.

I’ve watched smaller countries than ours, closer to home (Wales and NI) who hadn’t qualified for a major tournament in an even longer time than Scotland, go out and give it their all, not just content to “be there in the first place”, as seems to be the mindset here.

I don't think there was such a chance. As far as I know, it isn't allowed under the agreement between the UK FAs, which has been ratified by FIFA,

This was a very poor result which has quite possibly put paid to our chances of qualifying from the group.

From a Czech point of view the goals were superb. From our perspective, questions have to be asked about our defenders and goalkeeper.
i believe it's a 'gentlemen's agreement'.

The only country in the world who could bring in a guy who revolutionised Dutch football (Rinus Michels), ask him to evaluate and recommend changes to improve Scottish football ….. and completely ignore said recommendations, probably because it would have involved effort, spending money and some back bone to see them through.

I’ve watched smaller countries than ours, closer to home (Wales and NI) who hadn’t qualified for a major tournament in an even longer time than Scotland, go out and give it their all, not just content to “be there in the first place”, as seems to be the mindset here.
I don’t understand why coaches don’t go into school and teach football? At school we got basketball, volleyball and gymnastics :oops:

Why are they not teaching the sport that is the national game in schools? Surely the SFA could come up with a programme that would see decent level coaches going into schools and teaching kids how to play football?

Sadly, it's all too predictable with Scotland. Led by dinosaurs of the game. Mentally stuck in the past, with no ideas. I would start with ripping up every single thing about the game here, from grassroots to the boardroom at the sfa. For decades those running the game have displayed outdated attitudes and have done nothing to improve the game. Every idea suggested by clubs or players or managers who think differently is shut down with the old tired excuses of funding, we are a small country etc.
That excuse no longer has weight. There are plenty of countries with our size and population who produce teams that can at least compete whilst trying to play good football, and who have players who have decent technical ability. The difference between those countries and ours is not one of money, it's attitude. They strive to be better, we don't. We accept mediocrity. Our clubs accept it, our players accept it, our fans accept it, and the media promotes it.

I like my stats, and in the main I do think these paint a picture that Scotland did have the better chances.

The flip side to that is there is no context here, these stats don’t tell you just how bad Scotland played.
I like my stats too so thanks for posting.

I also wonder how many of the xG were added when we were 2-0 down and they were happy to concede possession to us.

The xG fuels the 'we were unlucky' narrative. The question for me is how much is our lack of goals down to poor luck or poor quality

I don’t understand why coaches don’t go into school and teach football? At school we got basketball, volleyball and gymnastics :oops:

Why are they not teaching the sport that is the national game in schools? Surely the SFA could come up with a programme that would see decent level coaches going into schools and teaching kids how to play football?
We got football in school to be fair.

PE was blocks of different sports and football was one, had a theory class (going over basic tactics, overlapping full backs and the like) along with a practical class.

Most of it would be basic tactical stuff, but some days we would just play games of 7s or 11s which became pish because nobody could be bothered.

We got football in school to be fair.

PE was blocks of different sports and football was one, had a theory class (going over basic tactics, overlapping full backs and the like) along with a practical class.

Most of it would be basic tactical stuff, but some days we would just play games of 7s or 11s which became pish because nobody could be bothered.
Taught by a teacher or someone who actually knew what they were talking about?

Taught by a teacher or someone who actually knew what they were talking about?
Think they were teachers that had coaching badges, the issue with getting proper coaches in like you suggested is there would be outcry from pupils that played badminton or hockey if they didn’t get coaches too!.

I like my stats too so thanks for posting.

I also wonder how many of the xG were added when we were 2-0 down and they were happy to concede possession to us.

The xG fuels the 'we were unlucky' narrative. The question for me is how much is our lack of goals down to poor luck or poor quality
I’d be curious to see where ours is coming from, I presume the two Dykes chances and the Robertson one (I think the Robertson one wasn’t easy).

Wonder if there’s a breakdown anywhere.

I think Clarke will go with the following team for the England game:

Marshall
Hanley Cooper Hendry
Forrest McTominay McGinn McGregor Robertson
Adams Nisbet

Personally I'd have Gilmour in ahead of McGregor.

Forrest actually did well when he came on and offered a lot more than O'Donnell but that wouldn't have been hard.

I’d be curious to see where ours is coming from, I presume the two Dykes chances and the Robertson one (I think the Robertson one wasn’t easy).

Wonder if there’s a breakdown anywhere.
Robertson, is classed as a very good player down at his club, its the great players when they get that one chance and they take it, robbos shot is going over even before the keeper touches it, he seems incapable of keeping his shots down, that's the difference.

I think Clarke will go with the following team for the England game:

Marshall
Hanley Cooper Hendry
Forrest McTominay McGinn McGregor Robertson
Adams Nisbet

Personally I'd have Gilmour in ahead of McGregor.

Forrest actually did well when he came on and offered a lot more than O'Donnell but that wouldn't have been hard.
Forrest is not physically equipped to play that role against England.

Yes I'm biased, but Patterson would be a better bet.

Thanks to SFA ineptitude and anti-Rangers bias the Scotland team has left me cold for many years now. I watched the first half and tried to get interested but, compared to watching Rangers I found the Scottish team far too pedestrian and no where near as slick. Glad we didnt sign Dykes, simply not good enough. McGinn offered a bit of excitement from time to time but that seemed pretty much about it. Didnt bother with the second half. but saw the goal afterwards...FFS !

A real doing in prospect on Friday methinks :oops:

Still paying the price for sending the country's best club team to the lower divisions.

Robertson, is classed as a very good player down at his club, its the great players when they get that one chance and they take it, robbos shot is going over even before the keeper touches it, he seems incapable of keeping his shots down, that's the difference.

I think Robertson bottled that shot. There was a hesitancy before he struck it, as if the moment got to him. It should have been head down and struck sooner. He got the yips in that moment I'm sure of it.

Back