DR on it's deathbed?

Daily Record now also part of the same group that own the Express.

Recent deal brings together Trinity Mirror’s 130 titles, including the Mirror, People and regional publications such as the Manchester Evening News, with the Express portfolio, which includes its daily tabloid as well as celebrity magazines such as OK! and Star.
Wasn't aware of this. Explains a lot about Manchester though; I remember seeing the early edition of this rag that day and the headline was 250,000 Bears in town, downgraded on later editions, obviously from orders on high. Our "popular" press has really sunk lower than the gutter press; down in the sewer with the shit and Rats.

If their main stream of income really is from the internet then it's every Bears duty to stay off these sites. Starve the fuckers who would have seen us dead, and gloated with their Scum readership. Don't link any of them and read the official site for up to date news, something these cnts have no interest in providing.

And as the older generation who don't use social media die off, so does its readers....

Last time I read the record, my chips were wrapped in it.

The only reason it does well online is that like other 'newspaper' sites it gets an SEO type key from Google.

Not sure what SEO type key means but Google gives it significant trust and authority scores because of it's significantly aged, has regularly updated high quality (Smirk) content, has an incredible backlink profile and it's on point social presence.

Taking all that into consideration, even if it's print output ended tomorrow - it's still a multi-million dollar business -unless hundreds of thousands of Scottish web users are educated accordingly.

If the daily record was to drop to a circulation of 25 tomorrow, every single one of them would still be there - the harsh reality is that in 2018, their print is a very small fraction of their business model.

Their website is one of the most trustworthy and authoritive (from an SEO perspective) in the UK and Google will always drive traffic to it, subsequently generating a ton of revenue.

Its the online precence that needs to take a serious hit for them to be in trouble.

In fact, there are regular offers - usually about every six months but it varies - of enhanced voluntary redundancy to get rid of a few more people. If they don't get the numbers they need, they start looking for victims - usually higher earners. The DR does make a profit but latterly they're having to pay a share of the group's liablities for the mirror phone hacking scandal.

As for their website, a lot of it is lifted straight from the mirror's. And it doesn't make a ton of money - after all, it only pays digi journos about 15k. For this they work long unsocial hours so it's no surprise there is a high turnover of staff. It's never going to be that profitable when it's up against other big and better free news webistes - eg the BBC and mailonline.

In fact, there are regular offers - usually about every six months but it varies - of enhanced voluntary redundancy to get rid of a few more people. If they don't get the numbers they need, they start looking for victims - usually higher earners. The DR does make a profit but latterly they're having to pay a share of the group's liablities for the mirror phone hacking scandal.

As for their website, a lot of it is lifted straight from the mirror's. And it doesn't make a ton of money - after all, it only pays digi journos about 15k. For this they work long unsocial hours so it's no surprise there is a high turnover of staff. It's never going to be that profitable when it's up against other big and better free news webistes - eg the BBC and mailonline.

The website absolutely, categorically makes a lot of money. The advertising revenue alone makes it a business in itself.

I've managed Digital Marketing projects for websites with that sort of traffic and prominence, I can assure you - it's making a shitload of money.

The website absolutely, categorically makes a lot of money. The advertising revenue alone makes it a business in itself.

I've managed Digital Marketing projects for websites with that sort of traffic and prominence, I can assure you - it's making a shitload of money.
It takes in about 60 grand a month. Not profit. Don't see how that pays for journalists and editors.

It takes in about 60 grand a month. Not profit. Don't see how that pays for journalists and editors.

I'm sorry but if that were true it would display sheer incompetence at the highest levels in Trinity Mirror (irony, I know)- there's at least 100 different revenue streams a site with approximately 15million views a month can tap into to bring in multiples of that.

Think the last time I bought it (as a one off) was the Monday after helicopter Sunday.

I just wouldn't buy the rhag these days, the level of honest reporting bit the dust many moons ago.

"Journalists" these days have carte blanch to tell any lies they like as long as it's done to demonise the Rangers brand and its fans alike!

gn137.png

That rag, and any online connections, don't deserve a deathbed - hope they expire in the gutter, and soon.

I'm sorry but if that were true it would display sheer incompetence at the highest levels in Trinity Mirror (irony, I know)- there's at least 100 different revenue streams a site with approximately 15million views a month can tap into to bring in multiples of that.

Is that how many views a month they get. Feck me, thats a shit load and the end is nowhere near

And as the older generation who don't use social media die off, so does its readers....

Last time I read the record, my chips were wrapped in it.

I won't tell you what i last used a page for, let's just say i was going for a bath shortly after use and as i looked backwards into a mirror, it said my arse had died on 8th June 2007.

Last edited:
I am not a Harvard Business School graduate but I do know that you should pick a broad as base as possible to be your target audience. What did they do? They opted for a niche market for a mass market product. Not only a niche market but one that is totally toxic from a religious and sporting child raping point of view.

My late father wouldn't have it in the house. He always said that it was a Labour paper and Labour was supported by RCs. He was right, Liewell made sure of that when he gave all celtc's paper publishing to their group. Now, the Record is overtly a celtc mouthpiece when before it was a covert one.

My late father wouldn't have it in the house. He always said that it was a Labour paper and Labour was supported by RCs. He was right, Liewell made sure of that when he gave all celtc's paper publishing to their group. Now, the Record is overtly a celtc mouthpiece when before it was a covert one.
I was about to post similar.
My auld man passed away in 1996 and he said it was infested way before then.

Not sure what SEO type key means but Google gives it significant trust and authority scores because of it's significantly aged, has regularly updated high quality (Smirk) content, has an incredible backlink profile and it's on point social presence.

Taking all that into consideration, even if it's print output ended tomorrow - it's still a multi-million dollar business -unless hundreds of thousands of Scottish web users are educated accordingly.

Some companies get a 'pass' from Google that bypasses the normal Google algorithm so they don't get hit by any penalties.

Some companies get a 'pass' from Google that bypasses the normal Google algorithm so they don't get hit by any penalties.

I'm not sure where you're getting that from but it's 100% inaccurate.

In the past I've worked with some pretty large businesses to recover their rankings following being hit with an algorithmic penalty from Google.

eBay, BBC, Washington Post, Littlewoods, Forbes, Xpedia - even Google's own Chrome have all been slapped with a huge Google algorithmic penalties in recent years.

Daily Record now also part of the same group that own the Express.

Recent deal brings together Trinity Mirror’s 130 titles, including the Mirror, People and regional publications such as the Manchester Evening News, with the Express portfolio, which includes its daily tabloid as well as celebrity magazines such as OK! and Star.

The Record used to have a massive circulation and a distinctive Scottish working class identity and then along came the Sun and the Record stupidly fell into the circulation war with it and tried to win with a race to the bottom instead of standing by its own previously decent standards. As it started losing to it's rival it became more and more desperate and the clowns who ran it clutched at the wrong straws to save the once proud paper and sold it's soul to the devil and ruined what was once a decent paper turning into the cheap rag it now is.:(

W.A.T.P.

I'm not sure where you're getting that from but it's 100% inaccurate.

In the past I've worked with some pretty large businesses to recover their rankings following being hit with an algorithmic penalty from Google.

eBay, BBC, Washington Post, Littlewoods, Forbes, Xpedia - even Google's own Chrome have all been slapped with a huge Google algorithmic penalties in recent years.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on the Google thing.

The Record used to have a massive circulation and a distinctive Scottish working class identity and then along came the Sun and the Record stupidly fell into the circulation war with it and tried to win with a race to the bottom instead of standing by its own previously decent standards. As it started losing to it's rival it became more and more desperate and the clowns who ran it clutched at the wrong straws to save the once proud paper and sold it's soul to the devil and ruined what was once a decent paper turning into the cheap rag it now is.:(

W.A.T.P.

If I remember right the Sun dropped its price to 10p for ages and that ate away the DR circulation.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on the Google thing.

Sorry - I'm not trying to be an arse but just to clarify, it's not about agreeing or disagreeing buddy.

I've been in the SEO industry since 2001 and speak as the owner one of the largest SEO Agencies in Europe - as many on here can testify to.

No website has been given a green light by Google to bypass their algorithms, that's a fact - there would be antitrust lawsuits left right and centre if that was the case.

The media in this country all began to wither on the vine as a result of an infestation of simple minded hate filled bigots.

ugly.jpg

wicked-witch-west.jpg

If I remember right the Sun dropped its price to 10p for ages and that ate away the DR circulation.

I remember that but the Record should have been able to ride out that storm as the Sun couldn't keep that up indefinitely as I think that at that time the Record still had a hard core of loyal readers and and a slightly different market. Murdoch has a lot to answer for.:mad:

W.A.T.P.

Back