Police Scotland Complaint Reply

Forth Bear

I've just received an email regarding my complaint about the tweet Police Scotland sent out after the fake video was circulated.

Dear Name

I refer to the complaint you sent the Police Service of Scotland via email on 17 May 2021, regarding the tweet sent out on Police Scotland’s Twitter account in respect of allegations involving potential criminal offences by employees of Glasgow Rangers Football Club.

Firstly I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the delay in responding to your email.

As Superintendent within Corporate Communications, the department who oversee and manage Police Scotland’s social media accounts, I was allocated ownership of your complaint.

Due to the high profile and wide circulation of the footage there was exceptional public interest and therefore Police Scotland were asked by a number of different media organisations for a response as to what we were doing about the video. In addition, we received a number of complaints regarding the footage and the language attributed to some people who appeared in it.

As with any allegation, especially those with significant public interest, we assessed the situationand the best method to address the public concern and media enquiries. After consultation and permission from the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscals Service, we gave a response to the media and posted this on our social media channels. These are recognised investigation and public reassurance processes we undertake on a regular basis.

I don't propose to debate on the difference between certain words used in the tweet as this is very subjective, however we looked into this matter quickly and established no criminality. This was highlighted to the public and provided to the mediawithin a short timeframe.

I agree with our Professional Standards Department that due to the circumstances, your email and contents do not meet the criteria of a complaint, however I would like to assure you that any concerns or complaints about the police are treated seriously by the Police Service of Scotland. I regret that your opinion of how you felt the Police Service of Scotland should have dealt with this situation fell short of your expectations.

Yours sincerely

Derek Forsyth
Superintendent
Corporate Communications

I've just received an email regarding my complaint about the tweet Police Scotland sent out after the fake video was circulated.

Dear Name

I refer to the complaint you sent the Police Service of Scotland via email on 17 May 2021, regarding the tweet sent out on Police Scotland’s Twitter account in respect of allegations involving potential criminal offences by employees of Glasgow Rangers Football Club.

Firstly I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the delay in responding to your email.

As Superintendent within Corporate Communications, the department who oversee and manage Police Scotland’s social media accounts, I was allocated ownership of your complaint.

Due to the high profile and wide circulation of the footage there was exceptional public interest and therefore Police Scotland were asked by a number of different media organisations for a response as to what we were doing about the video. In addition, we received a number of complaints regarding the footage and the language attributed to some people who appeared in it.

As with any allegation, especially those with significant public interest, we assessed the situationand the best method to address the public concern and media enquiries. After consultation and permission from the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscals Service, we gave a response to the media and posted this on our social media channels. These are recognised investigation and public reassurance processes we undertake on a regular basis.

I don't propose to debate on the difference between certain words used in the tweet as this is very subjective, however we looked into this matter quickly and established no criminality. This was highlighted to the public and provided to the mediawithin a short timeframe.

I agree with our Professional Standards Department that due to the circumstances, your email and contents do not meet the criteria of a complaint, however I would like to assure you that any concerns or complaints about the police are treated seriously by the Police Service of Scotland. I regret that your opinion of how you felt the Police Service of Scotland should have dealt with this situation fell short of your expectations.

Yours sincerely

Derek Forsyth
Superintendent
Corporate Communications
Sweep sweep

If they are recognised , investigation and public reassurance processes , they say they take on a regular basis , then why were we all so surprised at the tweet and the wording of it . "apparently instead of allegedly " being the sore thumb of the content
Still no apology and still no clarity as to whether they confirm it was a fake video . Poor pompous response from Police Scotland but we kind of expected something like this. Suppose Mr. Forsyth is just obeying orders

I have no issue with a Tweet being sent out in response to media enquiries about a high profile (non) incident but the prejudice language was wrong and for which an apology should absolutely be issued. The police are well aware of prejudice language - for example, they are literally trained not to used words that suggest guilt or cast doubt on a report or investigation.

Dear Name

Yours sincerely

Derek Forsyth
Superintendent
Corporate Communications
Well done mate,the more people that complain the better.He doesn't want to debate the use of certain words because you have him bang to rights.I have never seen the cops use the term "apparantly" when discussing "alledged" wrong doings,especially in a case like this as it was clear that nothing untoward happened.

Dear Name

Yours sincerely

Derek Forsyth
Superintendent
Corporate Communications

Aye. Right.

Well done mate,the more people that complain the better.He doesn't want to debate the use of certain words because you have him bang to rights.I have never seen the cops use the term "apparantly" when discussing "alledged" wrong doings,especially in a case like this as it was clear that nothing untoward happened.

Too easy to dismiss complaints from individual members of the public.

Rangers could now pursue this as the response is inadequate. Refusal to "debate" the use of language while admitting it is "subjective" is pretty damning.

Fucking disgraceful response. The clown says he refers to the complaint and I was allocated ownership of your complaint then goes on to dodge the issue with shite and finishes off by saying it doesn’t meet their standards of a complaint.

So the media clamour for a reaction to something and they respond?So the media are really the polis, who are they kidding.

Corporate Communications Business Manager

What kind of business are cops involved in?

The paragraph about not proposing to debate language neatly sums up the adversarial approach that is endemic in Police Scotland as an organisation, as too does the complete abdication of responsibility when they fall short of the standards we rightly expect of them.

The involvement of COPFS is also noteworthy and hopefully more light will be shed on this through FOI requests which should be seeing the light of day any time now.

Below seems to be a key bit of information that gives the game away.

The CO and PFS have previous of making an arse of anything to do with any case where Rangers have been wronged.

As with any allegation, especially those with significant public interest, we assessed the situation and the best method to address the public concern and media enquiries. After consultation and permission from the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscals Service, we gave a response to the media and posted this on our social media channels. These are recognised investigation and public reassurance processes we undertake on a regular basis.

What the response fails to tell us is what political pressure is being put on PS on matters that concern Rangers.

Below seems to be a key bit of information that gives the game away.

The CO and PFS have previous of making an arse of anything to do with any case where Rangers have been wronged.

As with any allegation, especially those with significant public interest, we assessed the situation and the best method to address the public concern and media enquiries. After consultation and permission from the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscals Service, we gave a response to the media and posted this on our social media channels. These are recognised investigation and public reassurance processes we undertake on a regular basis.

What the response fails to tell us is what political pressure is being put on PS on matters that concern Rangers.

This is dynamite if Rangers decide to light the fuse.

So your complaint isn't a complaint at all and we don't need to answer to you

This is why the word "hun" shouldn't be laughed off by our fans. Its sectarian and anyone using it is guilty of sectarian abuse. It affects the statistics and exposes the bullshit about sectarianism being anti catholic.

The decision not to class this complaint as a complaint means it doesnt 'count'. Outrageous.

So if I go on social media and refer to someone as a f****n bastard, it'll be all good since language is entirely subjective?

This is why the word "hun" shouldn't be laughed off by our fans. Its sectarian and anyone using it is guilty of sectarian abuse. It affects the statistics and exposes the bullshit about sectarianism being anti catholic.

The decision not to class this complaint as a complaint means it doesnt 'count'. Outrageous.
As soon as they brought up "anti irish racism" the alarm bells were ringing for me. We should complain about everything now, if we don't we will be cannon fodder for the lefties

So if I go on social media and refer to someone as a f****n bastard, it'll be all good since language is entirely subjective?

I might be reading this wrong but they're implying its open to interpretation ie subjective to the reader. My thoughts are if its classed as subjective when written then the writer is giving an opinion.

Very confusing.

Why aren't they holding the individuals to account for wasting police time with malicious unwarranted accusations?
That lippylipez needs brought to task for his bigoted actions, a Rangers player suffered real racial abuse due to it.

Well done to the OP for complaining but that’s a piss poor response.

Someone complains about the language you use and you ”don’t propose” to address that language. And since when did 5 days to investigate something that should have taken less than 5 minutes become “very quickly”?

To the OP (and anyone else who complained), whilst they ”don’t propose” to debate the words used, they are trying to word this as case closed, I believe you can still reply that you’re not satisfied as they haven’t addressed a key part of your complaint.

That’s exactly where their nonsense reply falls down. It’s Alice in Wonderland stuff. Words mean what I want them to mean.

Back