If the uk played as one national team

Restricting it to the 90s to now? Goram would be up there. He was a better keeper than anybody England had. You could also probably add a centre half. Gough in his prime was excellent. Going back to the 80s you could argue Miller/McLeish. As great as McCoist was, England weren't short of top strikers in the 80s and 90s.

Other than that? Andy Robertson is the only one who'd get even remotely close.

Restricting it to the 90s to now? Goram would be up there. He was a better keeper than anybody England had. You could also probably add a centre half. Gough in his prime was excellent. Going back to the 80s you could argue Miller/McLeish. As great as McCoist was, England weren't short of top strikers in the 80s and 90s.

Other than that? Andy Robertson is the only one who'd get even remotely close.
Fletcher was a key part of the best team in England between 2008-2010 or so.

I realize they had selection issues and Carrick missed out but depending on the type of manager they'd have in this hypothetical scenario I'm sure a lot would've valued him.

Tried to keep it within my lifetime, I was born in 87 so anything after that really, I don't think goram would have dethroned seaman but mcgregor would of been in with a shout I think after he retired

2008 English midfield had Carrick, Hargreaves and Barry as their defensive midfield options. Would Fletcher have got in ahead of any of those 3? Hargreaves at a push but not the other 2.

General central midfielders? He'd have got in ahead of Jenas but the other options were Beckham, Lampard and Gerrard.

Fletcher doesnt make that squad for me.

Next to no one. Barry is probably the best we've had IMO since the turn of the millennium and even he couldn't get a game with the likes of Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard in front of him.

Thought this would be name it for this tournament (obviously without Norn) I’d say Robertson & Bale would be the only non English starters.

So in agreement with the OP Robertson

Fletcher was a key part of the best team in England between 2008-2010 or so.

I realize they had selection issues and Carrick missed out but depending on the type of manager they'd have in this hypothetical scenario I'm sure a lot would've valued him.
Robertson obviously

In the 90s loads of Scots would have got in depending on the manager. The reality is though if the manager was English then he wouldn't have picked anyone who played in Scotland. Mark Hateley is proof of that. At Euro 92 England didnt take Gary Stevens or Mark Hatetely but did take Keith Curle, Tony Dorigo, Alan Smith and a Gary Linekar who was playing in Japan. Mental.

Don’t see the big deal with Robertson it pains me to say but teirny is a much better LB I have never really seen Robertson play head and shoulders above others for Scotland
Which Scottish player do you think would have the most caps in the last 30 years?

Id have to go with Andy Robertson myself, I think he would walk into the LB spot and would have the most caps

If we're going as far back to 1991, Andy Goram would have picked up a few, so would Richard Gough
Goram would not have had a look in as he was not playing in England

Any Scottish players not been seen regularly on MOTD would have no chance, just like Ryan Kent hasn't even been discussed for a place in the current England team

Thought this would be name it for this tournament (obviously without Norn) I’d say Robertson & Bale would be the only non English starters.

McTominay would be an upgrade on Rice IMO, Ramsay would make the squad.

Not a decent keeper amongst the 4 nations bar McGregor whos retired.

Don’t see the big deal with Robertson it pains me to say but teirny is a much better LB I have never really seen Robertson play head and shoulders above others for Scotland
Robertson looks a worldie when playing for Liverpool (on form) but its not really hard to.

Robertson is probably the most obvious from recent memory, but not many at all would have got near the squad in the last 20 years. Allan McGregor is a better goalie than Joe Hart though, so maybe a shout for him as well. Darren Fletcher and Alan Hutton might have got an occasional sniff of a squad, but that’s it.

Probably have to go back to the 90s with Goram and Gough, and maybe the likes of Mcallister, Hendry, McCall, McCoist and Collins might have picked up the occasional cap when they were at their peak. Big Dunc as well. Barry Ferguson in his early days was as good as some of the England squad at the time, like Ince, Barry and Wise. England capped a lot of average players in the 90s, compared to the quality they have had over the last 20 years.

Reactions: TQ3
Shagger and Robertson currently as the former wouldn't have an issue with the SFA f.uckwits out the picture.

Bale and possibly Ramsey from the Welsh.

You'd hypothetically maybe be looking at:

Shagger
Walker Mings Maguire Robertson
Rice
Foden Bale Sterling
Kane

Trent Arnold, Stones, Mount, Ramsey, Rashford, Tripper, Calvert Lewin
All options not even mentioning several others.

Shagger and Robertson currently as the former wouldn't have an issue with the SFA f.uckwits out the picture.

Shagger
Rice
Foden Bale Sterling
Kane

Patterson walks into that team.

Robertson obviously

In the 90s loads of Scots would have got in depending on the manager. The reality is though if the manager was English then he wouldn't have picked anyone who played in Scotland. Mark Hateley is proof of that. At Euro 92 England didnt take Gary Stevens or Mark Hatetely but did take Keith Curle, Tony Dorigo, Alan Smith and a Gary Linekar who was playing in Japan. Mental.
Stevens was picked for Euro 92 but missed out though injury, Lineker had joined Grampus by the time the tournament began but he’d played the season in England and been the first division’s 2nd top scorer.

Of the current lot Robertson & Tierney would be in with a shout at left-back.

Scott McTominay would likely also be in with a shout of making the squad, for the same reasons Fletcher likely would have a few years back.

Aye, a peice of piss getting into the Liverpool first 11, keeping your place and not being the weak link in their side of world class footballers
Thats not what I said though. I said he looks world class when Liverpool are on form and it wouldn't be hard to when you're playing in a side like that.

Compare that to this season for instance, has he looked a world beater?

I'm a Liverpool fan btw so not some Man U lover having a go.

McGregor in a better keeper than most over the time period.

Barry was genuinely world class and would get a game. One of his proudest moment was Paul Ince telling him he was unplayable the night at Wembley when Scotland win 0-1.

Shagger
Rice
Foden Bale Sterling
Kane

Mings seriously take it you have never heard of Johnny Evans

So in agreement with the OP Robertson
Giggs as well, surely?

edit: I realise you’re talking about right now haha

Thats not what I said though. I said he looks world class when Liverpool are on form and it wouldn't be hard to when you're playing in a side like that.

Compare that to this season for instance, has he looked a world beater?

I'm a Liverpool fan btw so not some Man U lover having a go.
He probably been their most consistant player, no? played every league minute despite the team issues.

I just dont think you can downplay his achievements. Tierney doesn't come close to him and honestly its only Celtic fans I see saying those sorts of things.

Aye, a peice of piss getting into the Liverpool first 11, keeping your place and not being the weak link in their side of world class footballers
They are hardly world-class now they had a great season the year before but nowhere near what would be classed as a world-class side.
Robertson is good going forward but for Scotland, he's had some dire games.

Just outside the 30 yrs but Souness would be there. Mo Johnston maybe or at a push Brian McClair.
A position England always struggled with was left wingers so Neil McCann might have been in with a shout.
I thought of McCann as well but if it was a UK team Giggs would have got in ahead of him

Goram, McGregor, , Gough, , Ferguson, Gary Mac, McCoist, Robertson, Tierney, Ramsey, Bale, Alan Hutton maybe at his peak?

Some off the top of my head, saying that no idea how many caps they’d actually have won. Barry especially would’ve found it difficult given the era he’d be in with Gerrard, Lampard & Scholes

Patterson walks into that team.

Love the wee man but c'mon to f*ck. Kyle Walker has been sensational the last 12 months or so :D

Trent Alexander
Reece James
Trippier
Wan Bissaka

Even guys like Lamptey on the fringes as well.

England probably have the best selection of right backs in the world! :D

I’d say Alan McGregor I’m pretty sure the gaffer looking back would have rather had him behind him than guys like Green,Robinson and Hart

Love the wee man but c'mon to f*ck. Kyle Walker has been sensational the last 12 months or so :D

Trent Alexander
Reece James
Trippier
Wan Bissaka

Even guys like Lamptey on the fringes as well.

England probably have the best selection of right backs in the world! :D
All pish in comparison to the best RB in the world B-D

In their Prime (only looking at our player)
Goram
Gough
McCoist (as a backup probably, but would get much better service from an British/English team than the Scottish)
Barry Ferguson (again a squad player rather than starter)
Hutton - England didn’t have many right backs a decade ago
McGregor

He probably been their most consistant player, no? played every league minute despite the team issues.

I just dont think you can downplay his achievements. Tierney doesn't come close to him and honestly its only Celtic fans I see saying those sorts of things.

Speaking to an Arsenal fan on Monday night and he was askign why Tierney didn't make the squad because quote "he's my favourite player at the moment"

Couldn't believe my ears. Must be something I'm not seeing

They are hardly world-class now they had a great season the year before but nowhere near what would be classed as a world-class side.
Robertson is good going forward but for Scotland, he's had some dire games.
The year before that they won the champions league and the year before that they got to the final.

So I make that 3 'world class' seasons to one poor one which they have been blighted with injuries and still got champions league football.

Next to no one. Barry is probably the best we've had IMO since the turn of the millennium and even he couldn't get a game with the likes of Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard in front of him.
Barry would have got in that team.

Before his injury an coming back to us he was getting mom against those players.

Without his injury he would would have moved to one of the top 4 that summer as a player he was on par with them his attitude is a different story

Back