If the uk played as one national team

Robertson probably the only Scottish player in with a shout of being regular first pick. Goram would've played. Ferguson, mccoist and McAllister would've played.

Outside Scotland, Giggs and Bale would be first pick regulars. Ramsey would've played. Davis would've played.

For the last 20 odd years I can't see any Scots not playing regularly in the EPL being picked.
They were never that keen to cap English players based in Scotland who weren't already established in their squad before they came up here.

Restricting it to the 90s to now? Goram would be up there. He was a better keeper than anybody England had. You could also probably add a centre half. Gough in his prime was excellent. Going back to the 80s you could argue Miller/McLeish. As great as McCoist was, England weren't short of top strikers in the 80s and 90s.

Other than that? Andy Robertson is the only one who'd get even remotely close.
If we're going back to the 80s like you said, I think a certain Graeme Souness and Kenny Dalglish might just get the nod, no?

Ian Rush and Mark Hughes weren't exactly shite either to be fair. ;)

Currently Robertson and tierney would make the squad. Mctominay would get in and maybe guys like cooper and mcginn would make the squads if they were eligible when you look at coady and kings getting in. Years gone by probably only Gary mcallister as the league they played in and how strong England were would make it hard for Scottish players to get in

Robertson obviously

In the 90s loads of Scots would have got in depending on the manager. The reality is though if the manager was English then he wouldn't have picked anyone who played in Scotland. Mark Hateley is proof of that. At Euro 92 England didnt take Gary Stevens or Mark Hatetely but did take Keith Curle, Tony Dorigo, Alan Smith and a Gary Linekar who was playing in Japan. Mental.
I'm impressed, how do you know that stuff ?

O'Donnell would be the 1054th in the reckoning for the RB slot and Greegsy wouldn't have retired from the no1 keeper slot.

Back in the 90s. Goram, Gough & McCoist

today. I’m not sure anyone gets in ahead of the England side tbh.

McGregor in a better keeper than most over the time period.

Barry was genuinely world class and would get a game. One of his proudest moment was Paul Ince telling him he was unplayable the night at Wembley when Scotland win 0-1.

The guy out on loan from Hull to Cardiff would have been selected over Man City’s first pick keeper?

I love McGregor, but he would have needed to be playing Top 6 in the EPL to ever be anywhere near a start.

Pretty sure I remember this debate at a time when Giggs was widely believed to be the non-Englishman making a UK team. And only because England had no one with a left foot that could cross/shoot.

The guy out on loan from Hull to Cardiff would have been selected over Man City’s first pick keeper?

I love McGregor, but he would have needed to be playing Top 6 in the EPL to ever be anywhere near a start.
Yes he’s better than Joe Hart ffs!

Davie Weir and Gary MacAllister would do well I reckon. Allan McGregor would still be playing and would have been first choice for a long time.

The sorry reality is Scotland has not produced a player good enough to command a spot in a UK team since the 60's/70's.

Bremner, Baxter, Law, Dalgleish, Jardine, McGrain, Souness, John Robertson, McQueen and Jordan were the calibre of player that would have stood a good chance. Our current lot...not a hope.

Barry would have got in that team.

Before his injury an coming back to us he was getting mom against those players.

Without his injury he would would have moved to one of the top 4 that summer as a player he was on par with them his attitude is a different story
I love Barry, he’s arguably my favourite ever Rangers player. I just don’t think he’s as good as Scholes, Lampard or Gerrard
Certainly good enough to be in a squad

maybe one day the country will have just 1 national side
Maybe one day we might just be one nation.

A British League would suit me fine. I'm sure the Sturgeon would veto any notion of such a united front.

This devolution pish has split the Union wide open.

Devolved parliaments and powers. Westminster can't interfere in this or that. Meanwhile the nationalists corrupt and run rampant and rough shod over everything and everyone that stands in their way ie mainly us! Whilst also rubbishing and backstabbing Westminster and all that is English at every turn, creating an even bigger divide.

The chasm is greater than ever it's been and to all intents and purposes, we're a union in name only as our every day lives are impacted far more by Holyrood and republican politics than Westminster.

Fly a tricolour, Saltire, Palestinian or EU flag, good. Fly the Union Jack, bad. Tantamount to racism. WTF does that tell you in its pettiness?

The eddiface that is Holyrood needs razed and most of the self serving trough guzzling yahoo bastards that inhabit it need interned for their crimes against the people of Scotland.

Sadly a dream and I cannot see Westminster ever taking a stand and bringing it to an end and putting us all out of our misery and that's a God awful thought.

Hard to imagine anyone playing outside of the English top tier would ever be considered but in terms of Scots players probably Richard Gough. For a left back I still find it hard to see past David Robertson. Maybe Goram for a keeper. I do think McGregor is every bit as good as any current 'top' English keeper, if not better.
Years ago I was at a sportsman's dinner where Jack Charlton picked his all time UK team and Gough was the only Scottish player he picked.

Presumably that would also mean a UK league setup, which would raise the standards of the Scottish players through the period. I believe Goram, Gough, Ally, in the 90s, Barry, Davie Weir from the 00’s. 2008-2020 is the lowest sustained level of quality on the scottish national team that i can think of

Presumably that would also mean a UK league setup, which would raise the standards of the Scottish players through the period. I believe Goram, Gough, Ally, in the 90s, Barry, Davie Weir from the 00’s. 2008-2020 is the lowest sustained level of quality on the scottish national team that i can think of
A UK league would be something I'd love to see, boro away at Partick thistle on a Tuesday night would be excellent

You don’t need to play for a top team to be better.

Peter Shilton was one of the best keepers in the world and was playing with Derby County during Italia 90.
Literally nobody from Hull was called up for England, especially one loaned out to Cardiff.

I would love to see a UK team. A team picked from the best of the four nations, might not be many Scots/Welsh/Nothern Irish but it would be something for players to aspire too. Could even lead the way to a British league.

Restricting it to the 90s to now? Goram would be up there. He was a better keeper than anybody England had. You could also probably add a centre half. Gough in his prime was excellent. Going back to the 80s you could argue Miller/McLeish. As great as McCoist was, England weren't short of top strikers in the 80s and 90s.

Other than that? Andy Robertson is the only one who'd get even remotely close.
I think McCoist would have at least made the squad as would Mo Johnstone.

Going further back them Cooper, Dalglish, Souness, Jardine and Mcgrain would have been there

You’re missing the point!

McGregor would’ve been nowhere near clubs like hull or cardiff if the club hadn’t had its troubles.

You’re missing the point. That’s the best he could get. A lifetime of Bosmans and that’s as good as he got in England. If he’s the best British keeper of his generation, then he would have got much bigger clubs. It’s straight forward logic.

As a different point, a lifetime at Rangers surely wouldn’t have got him selected for a UK side either. Everyone in England thinks Scottish football is shite.

You can’t seriously think English people would’ve been fine with a guy on loan at Cardiff (from Hull) in the Championship being picked as Number 1 - whilst they’ve got an Englishman in goal for the side winning the Premiership.

Last edited:
Going back to 1980 - mid-nineties leaving out the present, if we are talking actual class then I think we could pick a team without an Englishman, just Scotland, and Wales
Off the top of my head
1 Southall

2 Nicol S
4 Hanson A
5 Gough R
3 Robertson D

6 McAllister G
7 Fletcher D
8 Souness G

9 Dalglish K
10 Rush I
11 Giggs R