Euro 2020 England v Scotland - ITV 20:00 - All Comments in here please

Absolutely hilarious the amount of people on here trying to pour cold water on this result and what it means.

“Scotland still won’t finish top
two, they’re out”

“OK they can qualify in 3rd, but 4 points won’t be enough”

“Well even if 4 points is enough Scotland won’t get it”

anigif_enhanced-26331-1446465115-18.gif

Immensely proud of wee Billy tonight. Inevitably this post will get the usual "he f*cked off at the first opportunity " or "he's not a rangers man " p1sh but if you can't take satisfaction from a bear who we helped develop marching his way to the highest echelons of the game....then you're a bitter b*stard. Unbelievable young man
Ardrossan loyal
All of these England sympathisers saying just how shit and garbage we are. We made you look mediocre and bland. Roon ye!
there are some england sympathisers you are totally right, but try spare a thought for the fellow bears who have been kicked from pillar to post by Scottish authorities in the last decade…and who have marched alongside Sandy J when we are at our lowest….time will heal wounds…. well done tonight, you should be very proud!

Absolutely hilarious the amount of people on here trying to pour cold water on this result and what it means.

“Scotland still won’t finish top
two, they’re out”

“OK they can qualify in 3rd, but 4 points won’t be enough”

“Well even if 4 points is enough Scotland won’t get it”

anigif_enhanced-26331-1446465115-18.gif
I felt a tad disappointed tonight. we could have had the win...

The thing is, O'Donnell was decent enough in this performance. But it was a defensive performance. (I know he had Scotland's best chance)

He's not the type of RWB you need when you have to chase and win the game which will be the case against Croatia.
Guaranteed that when he inevitably has yet another absolute stinker of a performance (which will most probably be against Croatia) “aye but he was pyoor brilliant against England” will be trotted out as an excuse.

Get to fcuk haters! Scotland made they arrogant cųnts look very ordinary tonight. 4th in the world vs 44th. In our own hands. Come on Scotland!

Who's arrogant? The players? I've never got that impression from any of them even once.

Scotland are the international equivalent of Aberdeen, played their final yesterday (which is like playing us) and they'll play Croatia (like playing Hibs) and they'll be back to their dithering, never met each other before performance.

Drawing flat conclusions about who'll do what based on yesterday is pointless as its a game outwith any logic.

Clearly England are better in every position and had every advantage going, Scotland are hopeless and struggle to play against even the weakest opponents. However if you didnt know and watched that game youd fancy Scotland to give anyone a game playing like that and England would be no hopers.

Everything will now revert to normal.

As mentioned its like Aberdeen powering up to play Rangers then struggling to do anything against all other opponents. It makes no sense but it happens time after time.

Credit where its due Scotland played well and the changes made showed up Clarke for being the fool he is. They still are picking players who have no business being in the squad never mind the team and itll KO them seem enough.

England were flat to a man and played like it was the last day of the season with nowt at state and the holidays were starting the next day. Really poor setup again from Southgate, failing to utilise the England attacking flair, couldnt then react and let it all slide hopelessly for 90 mins. In truth they could easily have lost that game. If he sorts himself out they have a chance but you get the feeling we've seen this movie before...

Drawing flat conclusions about who'll do what based on yesterday is pointless as its a game outwith any logic.

Clearly England are better in every position and had every advantage going, Scotland are hopeless and struggle to play against even the weakest opponents. However if you didnt know and watched that game youd fancy Scotland to give anyone a game playing like that and England would be no hopers.

As mentioned its like Aberdeen powering up to play Rangers then struggling to do anything against all other opponents. It makes no sense but it happens time after time.

Credit where its due Scotland played well and the changes made showed up Clarke for being the fool he is. They still are picking players who have no business being in the squad never mind the team and itll KO them seem enough.

England were flat to a man and played like it was the last day of the season with nowt at state and the holidays were starting the next day. Really poor setup again from Southgate, failing to utilise the England attacking flair, couldnt then react and let it all slide hopelessly for 90 mins. In truth they could easily have lost that game. If he sorts himself out they have a chance but you get the feeling we've seen this movie before...

Your spot on, Scotland raised their game but when it matters (hopefully not) will fall flat for Croatia, England for the group of players they have at their disposal are really poor and have been for many years, they aren’t winning anything.

They were quite rightly criticised on Monday. O'Donnell played well tonight, but still you can't say patterson wouldn't have been even better and maybe win us the game, and he was terrible on Monday.

Hopefully we keep the form for Croatia, home advantage!
Clarke felt O’Donnell had put in the performance of the night at right wing-back.
Really!

Seriously why couldn’t they play like that against the Czechs. A much better starting lineup. How good is Billy Gilmour going to be, Clarke should be getting pelters for not starting him and Adams on Monday. I expected an England win but too many of their players just weren’t up for the Scotland fight. They have all these great players but they just didn’t perform as a team.

Didn’t want to be hypocritical and open the match thread and leave those that were cheering to enjoy their night.

Watched the match. Gilmour confirmed what we all knew.

Why was Clarke reticent to play Billy Gilmour initially ?

Does Scotland and Clarke realise they might just have denied themselves a win by not playing Nathan Patterson ?

I’ve opened the thread to make the post and now on the most recent page I’m seeing Clarke on about O’Donnell again.

What is this getting worked up about a jobber driven by ?

This is like Walter Smith in 07/08 being forced to sell Alan Hutton and spending the nights against Sporting Lisbon and Fiorentina getting misty eyed about Kirk Broadfoot.

Kirk Broadfoot. Stephen O’Donnell. They can run they know where to stand they pass the ball inside and the attacks go down the opposite side from them. That’s fine, that’s their limit.

Except, Scotland didn’t sell Alan Hutton, a potentially better version of him is left sat on the bench waiting to announce himself to the world while folk celebrate drawing 0-0. It might not have been 0-0 had we actually had a right sided option.

What a lot of pish.

Can't deny that Scotland played really well especially young Gilmour who looks like he is going to be a top player
We should really get in among Croatia and upset their passing game but no doubt it will end in another glorious failure
England are a poor top nation side when you consider the talent at their disposal

Does Scotland and Clarke realise they might just have denied themselves a win by not playing Nathan Patterson
It really annoys me that the attitude is “O’Donnell hasn’t done anything wrong”, “it’s his shirt to lose”, rather than recognising that we have a special talent in Patterson who who is a better player and 100% deserves a start in this competition.

As a neutral that was a really poor game played by two very average teams. Scotland deserved a draw but England were rotten. I don't think France or Italy would have lost any sleep last night!

I'm a scotland fan but I'm trying to be as fair as possible with this summary.

England have better players than Scotland they have guys on the bench that would walk into Scotland starting 11 and on talent alone win the game 9/10 times. However what they don't have is that fighting spirit.for the talent to cone through you need to win your battles and earn the right to play. I could be wrong but I think marshall made q save all night. Kane in the opening 2 games looks like he's been on the pop beforehand, foden is pretty much shackled out wide and is easy to mark. As for Scotland there was no bad performances, I think we missed a trick by not bringing on patterson/forrest/fraser at the rwb position for the last 20 and really go for it.

I just hope clarke goes for it against the Croats, they are there for the taking and definitely beatable

Still an open Rangers fan; his uncle runs probably the biggest Rangers blog going.

Let's enjoy him for what he is.

Big Hanley as well - another Rangers fan who has been seen in our end throughout the years.

Stop caring what other people think in any case. It's not about that.
I appreciate his dad is an open Rangers fan but with all due respect that has nothing to do with wanting Billy to have signed his first pro contract with us.
And to be honest I was not caring what other people think but was rather making a point more in regards to the probable double standards that would be shown towards Billy Gilmour if he was a Rangers player as per some of our other players.

Still an open Rangers fan; his uncle runs probably the biggest Rangers blog going.

Let's enjoy him for what he is.

Big Hanley as well - another Rangers fan who has been seen in our end throughout the years.

Stop caring what other people think in any case. It's not about that.
Out of curiosity mate who is his uncle
And whats the blog?

I am a neutral and I lost some bets last night, but well deserved result. Now, as I see it, Scotland would enter the last 16 if the same fighting spirit is kept vs Croatia. What a difference would've been, if at least 25 percent were allowed in the stadium!

Clearly England are better in every position
Robertson & Tierney are far better players than Luke Shaw. I'd also take Billy Gilmour over Rice & Phillips any day. Probably McGinn too, and Ryan Jack when fit.

But whilst England still have a lot more talent, it's yet another tournament they've gone hyping up the next 'golden generation' but that was always based on hope rather than reality. France, Italy, Portugal and Belgium would wipe the floor with them. The Germans and Spaniards would fancy their chances too.

Foden is a great player but the rest of the squad is still average. Rice, Mount, Sterling, Mings, Phillips, Rashford etc - you're not winning major competitions with these guys.

England maybe have a chance in a few years when Bellingham, Sancho, Saka etc have broken through but for now it's just another overhyped team of average EPL players being shown up when not playing alongside their superior club mates.

That Scotland XI - with Tierney and Gilmour added - really looked pretty handy. Those two made a huge difference, especially the quick line splitting passing. Credit too to Clarke (through gritted teeth) that system with McTominay and Tierney as two cultured sweepers with one central stopper does the best with the tools available. Add Patterson and find a bit of pace and finishing up front, we’d be a decent team.

Quite funny reading posts about how dykes was pesh just shows you it makes little difference what he does or how he plays folk made their mind on players by looking at their previous clubs and some useless stats or players value online.

The reason he wasnt subbed is the manager knows he was excellent, possibly our most important player, he had a feeling he might just grab the winner and went very close with that volley.

The English defenders did not enjoy playing against the lad, he worked so hard never gave them time on the ball, won headers, caused panic and let Scotland get up the pitch time after time. Without Dykes on the field we dont see the same performance from the midfielders or wing backs.

He will be one of the first names on the team sheet v Croatia all we have to do is make some chances and he will get the goals.

Back