Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even then we would still have quite a lot in that area with Kent, Roofe, Itten, Wright, Sakala, Hagi and Osayi-Samuel essentially fighting over 2 positions.

I am not saying we should not pursue the deal, obviously it’s a massive upgrade on the players you have mentioned, just it’s a lot of players all the same.

Fighting on four fronts and a long season ahead. Itten probably won’t be a regular, Roofe has injury problems, Hagi could be sold, Morelos may move on. We’ve already let Stewart leave.

Not at all, Dykes is woeful. Itten, who was signed from St Gallen not Basel btw, is far more technically gifted and a better finisher. He had a tough time getting in the team with Roofe's form before christmas and Morelos form afterwards. He admitted himself he struggled settling in this season, and even then he still looked a better player than Dykes ever did.
Or ever will!

Think another loan move but maybe to a Dundee or Ross County meaning he's taking another step up in his development.

Sorry to ask this as probably covered but thread went massively off on a tangent. What type of player is Osayi-Samuel? A number 10 or a winger type?
Probably more of a winger than a ‘10’ - when he was at QPR at least.. would fit into one of our front three nicely I’d imagine :))

Doesn't mean we sell players too early in their development.
I'd suggest Hagi at 22 has a fair bit to develop to maximise his potential. Selling players to sustain the model isn't disputed, the art is to sell at optimum value.

It does mean though that you sell them when you receive an offer suitable to the club and that allows us to become self-sustainable, it doesn't matter one iota what stage in their development they are at.

Would be all for Osaki-samuel. Hope that one happens.

10mil plus I'd accept for Hagi personally. Out of all our stars I think hes the one which would cause the least impact. I rate hagi and think hes a class act but gun to my head and I had to sell someone hes my choice.

Because we don't have pace in that right hand side of the team and at times we haven't had one player who has nailed down the slot and I think it's clear we will bring in another number 10 the links with Osayi-Samuel and the early pursuit of Zinedine Ferhat suggests that apparently he turned us down.

Just because we are stacked with options doesn't mean we can't upgrade and bring in better players there seems to be a reluctance to enhance the squad going by some comments on here.

For me if the opportunity arises to bring in better players to enhance the team/squad then we must take it no matter the position there is a massive CL qualifying campaign on the horizon and we have an incredible chance of burying that mob next season bring in 3/4 quality options gives us that chance.

Also I think it's clear certain parts of the squad weren't at it's strongest last season and Gerrard will want a few areas strengthened further.

I think Roofe is quite quick on the right hand side and also contributed 18 goals last season - in general terms I think his contribution is underrated. Issue-Samuel would need to go some to beat that.

In addition to Aribo, Kent, Wright, Hagi and Roofe we also have Sakala coming in who is very quick. We don’t need 7 players for 2 positions with Arfield and Itten as well.

I’m not sure I agree with your point about upgrading whenever the chance arises regardless of the position. We only have a certain level of resource and must ensure that we have a balanced squad - there is no point in being stacked for number 10’s just because there was an opportunity whilst we are short of midfielders.

I would like to see us concentrate our resources on bringing in a quality midfielder or two.

Anyways, if we are going for Osayi-Samuel then I think it means we are selling one or possibly two of our existing 10’s.

Hagi offers both footballing ability and likely a dream for our marketing department. Id give him another year before we consider selling... providing he wants to stay!

150% return on investment isn't a marker id apply in all cases. Especially Morelos and Kamara

The 150% return on investment is of course more/less relevant dependant on the initial value. In my opinion 10m is great price for Hagi.

Signing Sakala and Samuel on top of existing options is just good future proofing for potential interest in Kent and Buff. I'd love to see them all in the same team but realistically an offer could land for any of our big players and the blow is softened when his replacement is already here

Doesn't mean we sell players too early in their development.
I'd suggest Hagi at 22 has a fair bit to develop to maximise his potential. Selling players to sustain the model isn't disputed, the art is to sell at optimum value.

He wasn't a first pick last season and we've already signed Sakala, are looking to bring Samuel in and have Aribo, Roofe and Wright who can also play in the same position as well. If Hagi is sitting on the bench for most of next season his value is only going to depreciate, not go up.

If we NEED to sell a player this summer, Hagi is the obvious choice as we can absorb his loss a lot easier than Goldson, Alfie, Kamara, Kent or Borna who are all guaranteed starters and we don't have other options just as good as them waiting in the wings. It's simple common sense really.

Osayi-samuel is no better than oduwa. Has talent but no end product. Watched them a few times this season. Wouldn't say he's that fast either. So personally I would shop around.
There's an argument around his end product but Kent was very similar in his first season with us and he improved over time but he is definitely fast that can't be argued

Osayi-samuel is no better than oduwa. Has talent but no end product. Watched them a few times this season. Wouldn't say he's that fast either. So personally I would shop around.
He is a very talented player and highly thought of especially when he was at QPR.

He isn't the finished article but he's a hard working player who has serious pace and power and can play on either flank/number 10 roles he takes up good positions and is creative.

His end product of course will need worked on like most players but comparing him to a flop like Oduwa is laughable.

Plenty of articles and clips of him online the lad looks a cracking prospect with lots of potential and under our management I can see him taking his game further look what we have done with Kent/Aribo/Morelos all have massively improved under Gerrard.

some on here are crazy re Hagi - lad just had a top season, his first in a foreign land during a lockdown thus making it harder to settle. He and Itten shouldn’t be judged on last season, they will both improve vastly this year.
My exact thoughts, Hagi's numbers were great last season considering he was a bit part player, we simply cannot afford to buy 6 or 7 players every summer as much as some posters love the transfer window.

Regarding Hagi not being 1st pick, only Tav, Goldson, Barasic, Davis, Kent and Morelos were 1st picks. Hagi was 1 of the 11 who had the most appearances.
He was always available unlike Helander, Jack and Roofe who were often injured.

Goldson, Kent, Kamara, Barisic, Davis, Tavernier are the only players who played more than Hagi last season for us. Weird for someone not trusted by our management.

Would be madness to sell Hagi this summer for £10m unless he has asked to leave.

What part of Dave King saying it's imperative we start trading players to balance the books are you struggling to understand? Not one person on here has said Hagi is a bad player!

No one is asking him to thunder into tackles.

He doesn't have a turn of pace to get away from defenders in the way Kent, Wright or even Aribo do. Everything is very one paced with him. A lovely passer of the ball and can see things others don't but especially in Europe if we're sitting in and hitting on the break in our formation I don't see him getting us up the park consistently enough in counter attack situations or transistions.

What part of Dave King saying it's imperative we start trading players to balance the books are you struggling to understand? Not one person on here has said Hagi is a bad player!
I never said anyone said he was a bad player? I’m disagreeing with the idea he should be sold for £10m.

Middleton didn't do enough either, really. Can't see him being part of the squad next season.

He made enough of an impact at Saints though that we should have interest in him from elsewhere. A bit like Jones at Sunderland as well.

Not sure if we actually want or are interested in Ali McCann but Middleton could be a good makeweight in any potential deal there.

I think a lot of people over-value pace in a Rangers forward. Osayi-Samuel doesn’t look to me like he has the end product to justify the fees mentioned, and we already have similar attributes in Kent and Sakala. We need balance in the front line and Hagi and Roofe provide that.

I think a lot of people over-value pace in a Rangers forward.
Our best forwards either didnt want to or couldnt move with any great speed.

Pace is only useful when we have to play with pace which logically would be in Europe, particularly away. Even then we have quick side players and as long as the CF knows where the goal in when the chances come we'll be fine.

Against slavia we looked not as fit, weaker and slower than them in every sense, that’s got to be the level we push past in Europe and to do that we need to add pace and power to the squad, if we push past that we will continue winning leagues no bother

I think a lot of people over-value pace in a Rangers forward. Osayi-Samuel doesn’t look to me like he has the end product to justify the fees mentioned, and we already have similar attributes in Kent and Sakala. We need balance in the front line and Hagi and Roofe provide that.
Pace is massive in modern football though, and I’d very much still say it’s an area we’re lacking in.

Agreed. Hagi has an eye for a pass that few others in our squad do.

Pace is massive in modern football though, and I’d very much still say it’s an area we’re lacking in.
It’s important to have it in your front line, and we now have two options who have it in abundance. I just think the repeated calls to have it on both sides and drop Roofe and/or Hagi are misguided, you need a variety of attributes in your front line. Drop Roofe and you lose goals, drop Hagi and you lose goal creation. We’d all like a Hagi/Roofe with pace but they play in the premier league. The pacey players playing at our level almost always come with big compromises.

He wasn't a first pick last season and we've already signed Sakala, are looking to bring Samuel in and have Aribo, Roofe and Wright who can also play in the same position as well. If Hagi is sitting on the bench for most of next season his value is only going to depreciate, not go up.

If we NEED to sell a player this summer, Hagi is the obvious choice as we can absorb his loss a lot easier than Goldson, Alfie, Kamara, Kent or Borna who are all guaranteed starters and we don't have other options just as good as them waiting in the wings. It's simple common sense really.
All if buts or maybes , I'd say we will lose Kamara to the EPL , which would be unfortunate, but will negate the need to sell anyone else, for now.

It does mean though that you sell them when you receive an offer suitable to the club and that allows us to become self-sustainable, it doesn't matter one iota what stage in their development they are at.
The self sustainable model is not in question here, but why sell someone who is younger and has way more development ...ie bigger fee.... in him than say some in their late 20's ? That's doesn't make sense in the sustainability aspect in the running of the club

If Middleton doesn't go back to St Johnstone I reckon that's where Kennedy will end up on loan as I think Gerrard and Wilson would trust Davidson to look after him and get the best out of him
I've said previously I'd be more inclined to loan players to St. Johnstone or Hertz next season.Both good environments to test players for clubs more likely to be easier to deal with.
That said I get the benefits of strengthening other sides in general,something we were much more clever about last season.

He’s 2 years younger than the Kent/Morelos/Aribo group, and look at their development in the last 2 years.

I expect clear progress in him, and in his value.

Agreed. A year older and with another year in Scotland under his belt, we should expect the drifting in and out of games part of his play to improve.

I think Hagi is going to shut a good few up next season.

Then again, his numbers last season should've done that. I guess some will always have a blind spot about him for some reason.
Assisted as many goals as Tav and Barisic last season whilst being rotated far more than both of them.

People should focus on the first part rather than the latter. Not on FF though.

He’s 2 years younger than the Kent/Morelos/Aribo group, and look at their development in the last 2 years.

I expect clear progress in him, and in his value.
I think he has gears to go into mate, not even close to reaching his potential yet.

Unless he wants to go,which I seriously doubt- I don't think it's the correct time to sell.

Morelos,Itten,Roofe,Kent even would give us more chance of maximising the value we would get for selling them now than Hagi I'd suggest.

Don't get me wrong,there's some very difficult decisions to be made on that front when bids inevitably come in and I'm glad it's not me having to make them.

Agreed. A year older and with another year in Scotland under his belt, we should expect the drifting in and out of games part of his play to improve.

Yes, he was inconsistent as you suggest Ray, but that will improve with experience & physical development.

Joe Aribo was also inconsistent last season but both produced so many moments of true quality between them.

Against slavia we looked not as fit, weaker and slower than them in every sense, that’s got to be the level we push past in Europe and to do that we need to add pace and power to the squad, if we push past that we will continue winning leagues no bother

Our players had been on the booze for days. If we still had togo to Parkhead to win the league I think that tie would have been a lot different.

To replace the likes of Jones, Barker, Stewart, Murphy and Hastie and bring in Sakala, Osayi-Samuel and give Middleton another chance is a decent upgrade.

As long as the deal is right for Osayi-Samuel I would be for it.

Middleton would be a fine back up for the left hand side, both as an attacker and a wingback - in games where we hardly need to defend. Good all-round chap on that side and has a mean shot in him. Stewart is gone (and was right-sided), Murphy`s contract is up this summer, Hastie`s and Barker`s next season. Can`t see too much involvement with those two. Jones is tied till 2023.

Thing is, our prime left hand side forwards are Kent and Wright now, with the option of playing either Roofe or Morelos there if we have Defoe or Itten in the middle. LOTS of competition in that area, but not much on the right. Indeed, Jones has played as much on the right as on the left, even scored more assists from there. If SG sticks to him and gets his head focussed, there is a footballer in there. (After all, he`s done it with Alfredo.)

I for one see Hagi more in a play-maker and central role, so getting some truly right-sided attacker in is probably high on the agenda.

The self sustainable model is not in question here, but why sell someone who is younger and has way more development ...ie bigger fee.... in him than say some in their late 20's ? That's doesn't make sense in the sustainability aspect in the running of the club

A bird in the hand.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back