Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that Gerrard/Wilson with their fame/contacts haven't drummed up some kind of bidding war to let Porto see sense.There must be something in Alfie that doesn't please some other clubs.I know we have a tendency to wear blue tinted spectacles, but I would have thought that a relegation threatened English premier league team would bite your hand off for a striker with Alfies ability to play against defences etc.All very strange indeed.

I’m not sure Morelos will extend his contract so to get maximum value this is the last year possible to do that really.

I actually wondered if it might greatly increase his value if he played for us in CL qualifiers and groups while turning in good performances. Increase it to the point it could be even more favourable to hold on to him till the January window.

Plus having a player of his quality available there if we make it could only increase our chances of making a serious chunk of cash from points.

As explained in a previous post, getting Maja in lieu of Morelos is a downgrade, but who is to say Maja in 3 years time won’t be as good as Morelos?

Morelos at 22 had just completed his 1st season with us after playing in Finland. Maja at the same age has had a good season at Sunderland and been average at Bordeaux and Fulham but has similar potential IMO.

A player who can lead the line has quality and an abundance of potential but isn't the finished article, has some good attributes, a bit of development and playing regularly and you have a very good player in the making.

Put it this way if Morelos goes we won't be bringing anyone in near the finished article we need to enhance and develop someone unless we bought in another "Roofe".
I get all of that and don't disagree, but the way some people are going on about Maja you'd think he was the second coming. He's had a very average career so far apart from a hot spot initially in League 1 with Sunderland. People need to temper their expectations. Every summer there seems to be a band of posters with an insufferable obsession with an average player. Scott Allan, Lyndon Dykes, Jordan Jones even had a wee fan club on here for a while now Josh Maja. I'm not writing the boy off by any means but he simply doesn't warrant the hype. Ironically we have people disappointed that we're linked with Gary Cahill! Madness.

I recon our valuation was £18-£20m last summer but this summer I think the £16m plus 20% sell on would do the trick tbh

I’ll add to that that for me £16m isn’t enough but for some unknown reason we can’t get what we re due for certain players were as you see what they getting. Again ajer is the new bench mark that price with a year on his contract left Morelos is an absolute bargain at £16m mark in this day and age of underrated players going for mega bucks.

Last edited:
We need to ensure we get proper value for Morelos for several reasons. Assuming we do, and noting we’ll miss his excellent contribution, I’ll be glad of ending these sagas and getting a quality replacement who wants to be here.

So tell us how you propose we shift Porto's stance then?
Not relevant to my argument

You are stating as a fact a precise transfer value we can get despite you or any of us having no knowledge of what it could be

Stop speaking in absolutes about something you have no idea about

And random twitter feeds or tabloid press don't have any clue either so don't use them to support your bs argument

Think I posted before that an ex work colleague of mine is Portuguese, Porto season ticket holder

Spoke to him Friday, he said there were stories across there Morelos is intent on doing everything to get his move to Porto, I did say nothing like that reported here but seeing the article above is concerning to be honest

Let’s see what happens I suppose but if he’s going to go, Porto should bid going rate and get it done quickly to allow us to move on
So you weren't concerned on Friday because it was only reported in Portugal but you are concerned today by a Portuguese article?

For all we know this paper/journo are in Portos pocket and doing their bidding by spreading disinformation.

Fair point, your green tinted view is horrific so why look at it
It's a forum mate I'm allowed to be critical of things if I disagree with them if the forum all held the same view on things it would be pretty pointless if being critical instead of happy clapping makes me look more like a taiig to you then so be it

I know it doesn’t sound like much but this could tries media perception and lack of praise of Morelos probably plays a big role in why we aren’t getting many decent offers for him

I know it doesn’t sound like much but this could tries media perception and lack of praise of Morelos probably plays a big role in why we aren’t getting many decent offers for him
It won’t be that.

His numbers in 19/20 will have put him on every clubs radar, he either fails the eye test or clubs are put off by his discipline. I can’t understand why we didn’t get the offer we want if it’s not one of those reasons.

I think some forget the performances from Alfredo in big games last season and previously. To accept some of the prices being banded about by some on here and in the media would be laughable.

Yes. Covid has changed the market and there are too few rival bids, in fact none. Ajer it seems has EPL interest. Kerching. How do we make someone pay this £18m or whatever?
We can't - obviously.

Morelos, just like any other player, is only worth what other teams are willing to pay for him. Rangers are perfectly entitled to state that only bids of £18m and above are acceptable, but if none are forthcoming then the market is saying that in current circumstances Morelos isn't worth it.

No doubt Morelos wants to go to a different league one day, he wont tell his mates he wants to stay with us forever.

We’ve given him chance after chance and the least he can do is sit tight until a club meet our valuations.

I'm surprised that Gerrard/Wilson with their fame/contacts haven't drummed up some kind of bidding war to let Porto see sense.There must be something in Alfie that doesn't please some other clubs.I know we have a tendency to wear blue tinted spectacles, but I would have thought that a relegation threatened English premier league team would bite your hand off for a striker with Alfies ability to play against defences etc.All very strange indeed.

Probably because bidding wars don't actually happen.

I would not be surprised if by the end of this window we have sold Morelos, Goldson and Kamara. While this is one more first team player than I would think is good I am confident in the management team that replacements have already been identified. If we make a profit on this and the replacements have a future sell on value it will be good business. That's the business model we have . I love Alfie but am getting fed up of this circus every year with him.

I think some forget the performances from Alfredo in big games last season and previously. To accept some of the prices being banded about by some on here and in the media would be laughable.
The fact he's bullied and destroyed good defences and scored in Europe regularly over the last three seasons should have seen lots of interest and decent bids by now.

He's a perfect striker to lead the line.

I can only suspect his discipline issues and lack of media exposure has had an effect.

I mean look at them across the City they have the media on there side hooring players and hyping them up 24/7.

I met Cahill on holiday a couple of summers ago and had a chat with him. Was very complimentary of our club and seemed to be a very decent bloke.
One thing that struck me though was how tall he was, he was massive, I’m 6’3” and he seemed to tower over me.
I think he would be an excellent signing, we lack champions league experience throughout the squad something he has in abundance.
He’d absolutely stroll the Scottish league.

It's a forum mate I'm allowed to be critical of things if I disagree with them if the forum all held the same view on things it would be pretty pointless if being critical instead of happy clapping makes me look more like a taiig to you then so be it
Don’t worry bud his posts are full of slating bear opinions, being catty and patronising think he’s the one that’s worth a watching.

And what if player doesn't accept that ?
And what if he does

He did last year

Some are just desperate to sell him low and have convinced themselves it's the only possible outcome

How about sit tight and wait and see how it plays out

There isn't only 1 outcome you know?

The fact he's bullied and destroyed good defences and scored in Europe regularly over the last three seasons should have seen lots of interest and decent bids by now.

He's a perfect striker to lead the line.

I can only suspect his discipline issues and lack of media exposure has had an effect.

I mean look at them across the City they have the media on there side hooring players and hyping them up 24/7.
I think a few of those media hoors are on here with some of the pish I've read.

You
You think clubs around Europe make their decisions on buying a striker based on the opinions of Spiers, Sutton and Walker?

Probably because bidding wars don't actually happen.
I don’t get this bidding war stuff either. If club x have an offer of £10m accepted club y don’t then come in with £12m.
The only ‘war’ is when offers have been accepted and it comes down to the players terms. The player is the only one to benefit from a bidding war!

Dunfermline fans saying that Rhys Breen is signing for them. Unsure if it's loan or permanent, but odd hes left orange county after 6 weeks

The praise Maja gets for a player that's done nothing is weird.
Now I doubt we are even interest in maja but he is a good young player with a lot of potential who is probably available at a decent price and it’s the type or player we like to go for who we can improve and eventually sell on.
We are never going to buy a player who is the finished article unfortunately.
@TynesideTrueBlue will probably know more about maja than any of us.

Last edited:
Now is not the time to be selling Alfie (not unless a massive bid came in) End of this season would be the right time.
It's too big a gamble for a key position especially when our backup options all have question marks against them for one reason or another.

Now is not the time to be selling Alfie (not unless a massive bid came in) End of this season would be the right time.
It's too big a gamble for a key position especially when our backup options all have question marks against them for one reason or another.
30 m for Champions League and 20m for Alf

Good luck in catching us that's all I can say

We can't - obviously.

Morelos, just like any other player, is only worth what other teams are willing to pay for him. Rangers are perfectly entitled to state that only bids of £18m and above are acceptable, but if none are forthcoming then the market is saying that in current circumstances Morelos isn't worth it.
Nail on the head.
I rate Alfredo and believe £18m isn't OTT for a player of his calibre, however I have a colleague who's a Liverpool fan, he watches some Rangers games due to Steven Gerrard, who thinks he'd struggle in a bigger league. It would appear that clubs maybe have the same opinion. I guess time will tell.

I work with the brother of an ex liverpool youth player who has just been released. His name is abdi Sharif. Apparently he has had offers from rangers as well as a few prem clubs. Centre mid. Not sure if he would be a first team player or for the b team.
Stevie gerrard apparently loved him in the u18s. Any word on this one? @Mitch11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back