Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m with you on this. If we weren’t without Roofe, Balogun and Kamara and more than likely you can add Morelos, Barisic and Jack to that minimum, I’d be more comfortable but right now we’re going to be lining up for that game something like;

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Bassey
Lundstram Davis Aribo
Hagi Kent
Sakala or Itten

There’s a lot of good players in that team but it’s not full strength and Malmö will be a very decent side.

Wouldn't be suprised to see Arfield in the midfield and Aribo further forward.

Yes and the target was to win one off European ties which are a gamble either way you look at it and then win the league!

This season the target has changed, we need to beat Malmö and with the players out for the tie worries me.

You can’t stand still in this game mate and if Gerrard has got 2-3 quality players he wants then they should be here in time for the Malmö game

We haven't stood still we have added 2 quality players to a successful squad and Gerrard has made it clear there will be more.

Turning your nose up at Sakala and Lundstram because they are only 'two Bosmans' is bizarre.

I think once we add another CM we are in very good shape.

That’s even with losing one big name player , which I expect to happen.

I’m with you on this. If we weren’t without Roofe, Balogun and Kamara and more than likely you can add Morelos, Barisic and Jack to that minimum, I’d be more comfortable but right now we’re going to be lining up for that game something like;

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Bassey
Lundstram Davis Aribo
Hagi Kent
Sakala or Itten

There’s a lot of good players in that team but it’s not full strength and Malmö will be a very decent side.
So from that starting lineup you've named 9 of the 11 who were regulars in Europe for us last season but we won't be at full strength? The game is 2 weeks away Borna should be back for then anyway unless he's not over his injury that ruled him out most of the games at the Euros.

Injuries and suspensions are part of the game so we can't go out and just make more signings because of that. Balogun only misses the 1st leg of Malmo and Kamara is back for 2nd leg in the playoff round. Roofe wasn't a regular in Europe last season so it is annoying with him missing but that's football. Malmo will be a decent team but if we can't beat them with what we have then we don't deserve to be there.

I’m not 100% sold on that.

Yes, covid impact. Ticket sales down.

But.

Greater prize money from Europe (significantly) and domestically
Greater Tv money from Europe. No sharing the last 16 tv money split with Celtic
Greater income likely from commercial deals linked to enhanced onfield performance?
Castore deal will be on those accounts I believe whereas we had nothing the year before.
MyGers and the virtual season tickets etc offset some of the lost match day revenue.
Possible business interruption insurance?
Remember we had a loss of over £17m the season before and that was without the full impact of Covid.

Re Europe, our earnings will be down a good bit on the previous season due to the lack of crowds for the home games. I think people will be shocked at just how much of an impact it will be. If you add up the total number of loans/ share issues we had for directors and include the share issue for fans it gives an idea of the amounts of money that were being pumped into the club during the season. We're lucky that we have people willing to invest .
The one good thing about it all is that the scum will be worse.

Last edited:
Wasn’t the forecast in the Annual Report that we needed an injection of £14m this season? All the above would have been known, or extrapolated, when that came out. Can probably knock circa £4m off that figure from the share issue but it still leaves a big hole.
Iirc that forecast was also made before it was known that we were going to go a whole season without fans.

so gerrard will be happy with winning the league but onlly signing 2 out of contract players?
The directors have funded the past six years, including the last three to assemble the team that won 55. They do not have a bottomless pit of money and the club has lost a helluva lot in that time.

The directors have been extremely honest and said time and time again that we need to start selling players for good money to help become self-sustainable.

even with excellent run in Europe and castore deals ?
We had an excellent run in Europe the season before but lost £17m. Last season even though we done well in Europe again we'll be impacted by the lack of crowds for the home games. That will be a few million that we've lost out on. The Castore deal will help but it won't be enough.

Yes and the target was to win one off European ties which are a gamble either way you look at it and then win the league!

This season the target has changed, we need to beat Malmö and with the players out for the tie worries me.

You can’t stand still in this game mate and if Gerrard has got 2-3 quality players he wants then they should be here in time for the Malmö game
He's already brought 2 players in to the club in this window so far. It looks like our business will be determined on what happens with Europe now we can't just keep spending when we have no outgoings. The squad we have at present is fine for the Malmo game and we've beaten and competed against far better teams than Malmo under Gerrard.

The club have always said we will be returning to a sustainable model that will involve player trading. How long do you think the club can continue posting huge losses with directors etc making up the shortfall?
Not sure the answer to that one but, this is not the time to stop!
There is a £30m plus prize for winning the next four European games and another £30m plus for winning the league.
Definitely not the time to be holding back investment, if you can afford it.

How did that lot make more TV dough from Europe as us?
Higher co-efficient leads to a bigger share of the tv pool money. We're higher than them donw but I think the tv share is based on the last 10 years rather than the last 5. I could be wrong on this though.

This is a massive season for us. Yes we have to start essentially generating our own transfer budget by selling a player every season however; Gerard has stated the board are with him with regards to what is needed and Mick Beale has spoken about going up a level in terms of signings.
I’m more than happy with who we’ve brought in so far but we need at least one more in midfield and I don’t believe that we won’t spend a significant amount on that player should it be required.

There is a £30m plus prize for winning the next four European games and another £30m plus for winning the league.
The directors have already said it will involve a sustainable player trading model. There is no other way unless you have folk willing to pump over £10m of their own cash in each season. That won't happen anymore.

And if we don't make the champions league this season with more investment what would the plan be? I think people need to be realistic about our chances qualifying this season given what potentially awaits us in the playoff round. Another season in the Europa league does us no harm either and I would much prefer that and winning the league so we get in automatically next season to the champions league.

Why some people can’t wrap their heads round the fact we will lose good players for high fees is beyond me, the absolute carry on when someone gets linked with moving away is pathetic.

He must stay, he can’t leave etc etc, he is irreplaceable blah blah. pathetic.

Buying low and selling higher is the model that will see us become sustainable. People need to grow up and accept that.

Last edited:
Won’t be a straight 8mil drop in income from missed European home tickets due to match packages on RTV. A huge loss yes. But cannot count 8mil surely?
As far as I’m aware, we didn’t sell RTV European packages for the European group games. The qualifiers will have some uptake, no doubt, but our associated costs will be high. If Rangers sell a package at 9.99, you might find that we make £3 profit. Even if we sold 30k then that’s only 90 grand. Bisgrove has been fantastic at improving non match day income, but this isn’t going to make up for closed door games. At 1 point, we were one of the highest in Europe at relying on match day income. I could be completely wrong, but I’d prepare for some eye watering results. We won’t be alone either. See Ange Postelegu’s appointment as proof..:))

Why some people can’t wrap their heads round the fact we will lose good players for high fees is beyond me, the absolute carry on when someone gets linked with moving away is pathetic.

Buying low and selling higher is the mode that will see us become sustainable. People need to grow up and accept that.
You notice it every time a Morelos rumour surfaces: “Just one more year Alfie” has been the cry for the past four years.

It’s easy for fans to sit online and demand £10m is spent every summer while tying down every player on long term contracts. The reality is that is completely unsustainable and thankfully our rise back to the top has been overseen by Rangers men who aren’t reckless enough to drive us into the ground. They also haven’t sugar coated things for us. It’s clear we need to become a selling club.

We haven't stood still we have added 2 quality players to a successful squad and Gerrard has made it clear there will be more.

Turning your nose up at Sakala and Lundstram because they are only 'two Bosmans' is bizarre.
Sorry mate I am not turning my nose up, I am more worried that we lack in other areas but having said that

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Barasic
Hagi Davis lundstrum

sakala Morelos Kent

would get Us past Malmö

maybe I am just being to pessimistic

The directors have already said it will involve a sustainable player trading model. There is no other way unless you have folk willing to pump over £10m of their own cash in each season. That won't happen anymore.
That’s why I said “if they can afford it”.
I’m not demanding, even asking, them for a freebie here.
Just saying that, if they can afford it, they might be looking at the return they could get if we were to achieve these two objectives.
I know I would.

And if we don't make the champions league this season with more investment what would the plan be? I think people need to be realistic about our chances qualifying this season given what potentially awaits us in the playoff round. Another season in the Europa league does us no harm either and I would much prefer that and winning the league so we get in automatically next season to the champions league.
There is always a flip side to an investment plan.

You notice it every time a Morelos rumour surfaces: “Just one more year Alfie” has been the cry for the past four years.

It’s easy for fans to sit online and demand £10m is spent every summer while tying down every player on long term contracts. The reality is that is completely unsustainable and thankfully our rise back to the top has been overseen by Rangers men who aren’t reckless enough to drive us into the ground. They also haven’t sugar coated things for us. It’s clear we need to become a selling club.
I wonder how many fans would be of the same thinking if it was millions pouring out their accounts every year to sustain the club.

For the directors who have invested these millions the chance of them ever seeing a return is fanciful at best.

Last edited:

Buying low and selling higher is the model that will see us become sustainable. People need to grow up and accept that.
A real “look at me everybody” post.
“I’m a great thinker.”
Very sanctimonious of you.

A real “look at me everybody” post.
“I’m a great thinker.”
Very sanctimonious of you.
It’s merely an opinion, the same as yours is, if you don’t think some of the behaviour on here is pathetic when our big name players are about to leave that’s fine. I do, that’s also fine.

Remember we had a loss of over £17m the season before and that was without the full impact of Covid.

Re Europe, our earnings will be down a good bit on the previous season due to the lack of crowds for the home games. I think people will be shocked at just how much of an impact it will be. If you add up the total number of loans/ share issues we had for directors and include the share issue for fans it gives an idea of the amounts of money that were being pumped into the club during the season. We're lucky that we have people willing to invest .
I had it in my head it was closer to 10 for some unknown reason, but as you are at least the second guy to mention this I’ve obviously got that wrong. :oops:

Yeh, probably over 20 then and level of transfer activity will have a large impact.

There's some ifs and buts here, but you could argue that for this season alone, if we qualify for the CL group stages and then also go on to win title number 56, we could potentially find ourselves in the strongest financial position the club has ever been in, in it's entire 150 year history.

We've already added 2 quality players mate.

Sakala in particular will be an outstanding signing.
He can play anywhere across the front 3 and has electric pace.

As things stand, we are considerably stronger than this time last season.
Suspensions are part of the game and we have the squad to deal with them.
I think Kelly coming through is a good thing too. He could supplement the squad at least until the end of August and I’m sure he won’t let us down.

It’s merely an opinion, the same as yours is, if you don’t think some of the behaviour on here is pathetic when our big name players are about to leave that’s fine. I do, that’s also fine.

Fans become attached to good players and don’t want them to leave, its nothing new and will never change.

We are only looking to add more to a undefeated squad of players ATM and haven't lost anyone of significance just yet.

I'm feeling relatively relaxed about the season ahead and squad, our team is good enough to beat Malmö which will be a 50/50 tie.

I also think Gerrard wouldn't be shy in coming forward if he was unhappy too with the lack of signings etc.

Long way to go in the window also... Consequences of what European football looks like still to be felt either positively or negatively.

A interesting few weeks or so... Look across the city... It looks a bit of a dog's dinner from the outside still.

We are hopefully in a good place.
Having a full house will help hugely. Hopefully.
Why not? He's getting well rested now and was ready to play a game about ten days ago.

Stop doom mongering. We will be ready for Malmo.

Edit - just read your most recent posts, nearly all contain the word disappointed or worried. I'll leave you to it and block you.
I agree I think we're strong enough to see off Malmo. When you think of the teams we've come up against without the two that came in,okay,Roofe will be a big miss. I just hope Alfie comes back ready to go.

Playing devil's advocate a bit but I don't think people's opinions are actually as opposed as they might think.

I absolutely believe we might spend the guts of several million pounds on Joey Veerman if he is indeed a top target. And I don't think Champions league qualification will necessarily affect that.

I also think we will absolutely sell one or two big names depending on bids received and the players willingness to go,again- regardless of Champions league qualification.

We will continue to evolve as we have done under this current staff team.

And not too shabbily either if you don't mind me saying.

Those out there "Demanding" that we sign more Quality need to consider it from the other side.

Why sign for Rangers ?

The SPFL is poor and full of cloggers who will injure you for fun

4 Games v scum might have been a big draw before but no longer since rise of EPL / CL TV coverage.

Money - read all the posts above, there is NO money in SPFL when compared to other leagues

The only thing we offer is exposure and experience in European Competition

I am in no doubt we have offers "in Principle" with players who may only join if we achieve CL Footy - or a minimum of EL ??

Footballers don't sign for teams simply because the manager is a name - these managers can go in a season and a 3 year contract doesn't expire if manager changes - See scum Rodgers signings.

So i don't expect any money signings until we know a clear path in this years European adventure

To be fair it's not unique to Rangers fans to be emotionally attached to our players. In fact it will hurt us even more due to years of misery and this particular set of players brought the good times back.

We know there will be sales, but there won't be some big fire sale IMO. Morelos could well go, Kamara, Barisic, Goldson but not all of them.

Having a full house will help hugely. Hopefully.

I agree I think we're strong enough to see off Malmo. When you think of the teams we've come up against without the two that came in,okay,Roofe will be a big miss. I just hope Alfie comes back ready to go.
Their recent European pedigree shouldn’t be anything to concern us

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Malmö_FF_season#2020–21_2

We can't expect our board and investors to dip into their own money every season, especially as the losses in the next accounts will show over £20 million in the trading year.

I think we may need to sell first, or at the very least, beat Malmo, before we can buy.
If we win it’s a guaranteed extra 5 million so would be worth buying and going into the game as strong as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back