CL Qualifiers - All Comments In Here

ANGE POSTECOGLOU admits Celtic were ill-prepared for their crucial Champions League qualifier.

And he insists: "It’s all on ME."

Nir Bitton was stupidly sent off in Celtic's 1-1 Euro draw with Midtjylland.

While keeper Vasilis Barkas was at fault for the Danish side’s equaliser.

But Postecoglou defended his Hoops players and insists he’s to blame - even confessing he’s not done a great job since taking over.

He said: “I don't think we will ever be as badly prepared as we were tonight - and that's on me - going into such an important game.

“We have eight more days I feel confident that the preparation and the spirt we have, we will put in a good performance.

"It is on me.

“I don’t think I’m at a disadvantage, my role is to try and support these players and try to prepare them the best I can for what is in front of us.

“I haven’t done a great job so far to be honest, because with the disruptions we’ve had, we haven’t been able to bring the players in.

“My role is to try and reinforce this squad and to try to prepare this squad for what is ahead, and to their credit, the players didn’t look for excuses tonight.

“They put in a solid shift, and I’m just disappointed they didn’t get the rewards for what I thought was an outstanding performance.

“But I’m the manager of the football club. I’m the one that takes that responsibility of providing support for the players and staff.

“If things aren’t happening it’s on me to make them happen.”

Celts took the lead through new £3.4m signing Liel Abada.

But Bitton was sent off for two bookable offences.

Midtjylland were then reduced to ten men too.

But Barkas conceded a free-kick as the Danes took a 1-1 draw into next week’s second leg.

Postecoglou added: “I’m getting a lot of glass half empty questions at the moment.

"I think there was plenty of positives tonight rather than people looking for little things that potentially didn’t go right.

“I thought it was a decent strike, we limited them to a couple of shots on goal with a really brand new back four.

“The midfield worked their socks off. The amount of running that Soro and Cal and Ryan Christie did was unbelievable.

“There’s nothing I’m disappointed in tonight. I’m frustrated at the result because the players didn’t get the result I thought they deserved.”

On Bitton’s red card, Postecoglou added: “I was frustrated at the result, as a I said, not the performance, but Nir had already been booked and when you’ve been booked you have to be careful in your actions.

“When you infringe again, you give the opportunity to the referee to give you another caution.

“It’s disappointing for him more than anything, because he was really keen to put in a strong performance.

“He had started the game really well for us, so it’s disappointing for him that he misses the second game as well.”
Only thing missing from that would be pitch geography. The Australian Mark Warburton

Imagine praising your midfielders for doing a lot of running :D

I thought they were decent last night and by far the better team although the danes were very poor. I dont think this season will be the walk in the park eveyone seems to think. We need to be on it from the start as they will have enough to deal with the dross in the league and will have Clancy and co lending a hand.

I thought they were decent last night and by far the better team although the danes were very poor. I dont think this season will be the walk in the park eveyone seems to think. We need to be on it from the start as they will have enough to deal with the dross in the league and will have Clancy and co lending a hand.
Decent?

LOL

The Euros, I presume.

It must be reference to them having a player getting to the semis.
Oh wait, that was Midtjylland.

Luton Town had a player absent due to the Euros longer than any filth player was away.

At least he's keeping up that fine tradition of weak as piss excuses that are only too easy to rip apart.
Think he is moaning about being f.u.cked off by 4th choice right backs

The Euros, I presume.

It must be reference to them having a player getting to the semis.
Oh wait, that was Midtjylland.

Luton Town had a player absent due to the Euros longer than any filth player was away.

At least he's keeping up that fine tradition of weak as piss excuses that are only too easy to rip apart.
A lot of clubs had players in the Euros. Most clubs just get on with it, whether it's injuries, suspensions etc. This mob are constantly shaping a narrative that the universe is conspiring against them.

It's been lost in the constant merging of threads but if the Israeli isn't on the A list and, having not been at the club for 2 years, doesn't qualify for the B list (did we not have to have Middleton on the A list for this exact reason Gerrard's first season, despite being under 21?) then have they genuinely f'd up or has the rule on that changed?

I managed to catch a few mins of their game on a YouTube stream……. the Midtjylland team were utter dug shite, which speaks volumes on how ‘good’ the bheasts were for a 1 each draw at home.

I also noted their new manager clapping virtually everytime they managed to string a pass together - what a total fuckiing amateur.

I managed to catch a few mins of their game on a YouTube stream……. the Midtjylland team were utter dug shite, which speaks volumes on how ‘good’ the bheasts were for a 1 each draw at home.

I also noted their new manager clapping virtually everytime they managed to string a pass together - what a total fuckiing amateur.
It was shocking how poor they were, absolutely nothing like the team we played.

It's been lost in the constant merging of threads but if the Israeli isn't on the A list and, having not been at the club for 2 years, doesn't qualify for the B list (did we not have to have Middleton on the A list for this exact reason Gerrard's first season, despite being under 21?) then have they genuinely f'd up or has the rule on that changed?
Replying to my own post but article 45 of uefa b list rules 2021 states the following.

A player may be registered on List B if he is born on or after 1 January 2000 and has been eligible to play for the club concerned for any uninterrupted period of two years since his 15th birthday by the time he is registered with UEFA, or a total of three consecutive years with a maximum of one loan period to a club.

So he isn't eligible for that list.

Tim twitter pointed out the following after the press conference.

‘Abada had to play as a trialist on Saturday as no work permit’

This means that in the time since press conference (3pm Monday?) where they declared this squad list was final and tims were gutted.

To be eligible :

- He’s somehow got his work permit
- The SFA have finalised the registration
- Celtic have notified UEFA before midnight and this needs supplemented with a formal SFA letter
- UEFA just haven’t updated the squad list even though the squad appearances have now been updated.

One of the highlights of the game for me was when septic were pressing high and had successfully trapped the Midtjylland left back in his own box and it looked like great work from Ralston that might actually get them a chance. Then, with the wing back trapped against his own byline with nowhere to go, Ralston jumped in with a two footed tackle and knocked the ball out of play.
Ralston is another one who's a red card waiting to happen.

This means that in the time since press conference (3pm Monday?) where they declared this squad list was final and tims were gutted.

To be eligible :

- Celtic have notified UEFA before midnight and this needs supplemented with a formal SFA letter
- UEFA just haven’t updated the squad list even though the squad appearances have now been updated.

Wouldn't surprise me if that was all pushed through for them but someone needs to at least ask the question given he still isn't on the A list as of this morning.

Wouldn't surprise me if that was all pushed through for them but someone needs to at least ask the question given he still isn't on the A list as of this morning.
Miracle Card indeed or possibly a monumental balls up.

They were gutted not to get the 3 points last night after all

Given that goalscorer Liel Abada isn’t even on the official UEFA squad list (and isnt eligible for the B list) it might be an even worse job Ange.

His name isn't on that from what I can see, and that lists the B squad players who don't need to be registered.

To be eligible :

The sfa part won’t be a problem for the filth

foi request to home office on work permit to check that’s done

His name isn't on that from what I can see, and that lists the B squad players who don't need to be registered.
Can this be checked with uefa

I’d plug my pants laughing if they get thrown out

How would you find out for definite?
No idea, you'd think they can't have been that daft and it's just a case of the UEFA site not being updated. But it shows stats for last nights game, so I would like to think what's on there is valid.

To be eligible :

Just to add to that, the specific legislation can be found here, Article 45 & 46.

They have more than enough space to register the guy, nobody should be in any doubt that the SFA would move heaven and earth to make sure the yahoo's got what they wanted and surely nobody can be that stupid.

I'd be shocked if they managed to %^*& up something so simple.

Just to add to that, the specific legislation can be found here, Article 45 & 46.

They have more than enough space to register the guy, nobody should be in any doubt that the SFA would move heaven and earth to make sure the yahoo's got what they wanted and surely nobody can be that stupid.

I'd be shocked if they managed to %^*& up something so simple.
We need tae know!!
NINTCHDBPICT000478868063.jpg

Having Kennedy and Strachan still lurking about will only be detrimental to their fortunes. They should be nowhere near his coaching staff after being a part of their shambolic season.

Still having that ipad guy visibly giving instructions to players before they come on is some laugh.

There is no way that relationship will work behind the scenes, undoubtedly they 2 will begin to undermine him.
It’s probably even started with the Beak still reporting to Lawwell on the Aussie / Greeks every move and keeping an eye on the egg chaser as well. It’s so apparent this is the real reason why this fuckin clown is still creeping around.

Hopefully the Danes will be a bit more settled at home next week. Away goals no longer count.

They have Aalborg on Saturday night so another competitive match under their belt. We don’t know how this Celtic side will travel and a pressure match.

Must have been quite a few mins. Admit it, you watched all of their game.

Who knows whether this guy was eligible to play for them last night… you would hope that someone competent within UEFA is employed to check all this out (no laughing at the back). I did find it odd that Darrell Currie et al had been so bold as to express confusion over the situation before kick off.

However it does seem that in order for him to be registered and eligible to play would have required them to expend quite a lot of effort within a short space of time to satisfy a number of criteria, an achievement which would belie the recent shambolic nature with which they have consistently been conducting their business in recent times. In which case, it would be left to Herr Lieswell to grease the wheels once again to ensure that any ‘accidental oversight’ is dealt with in the appropriate manner. Nudge nudge, wink wink.

I didn’t watch their game or highlights, but from what I can gain from on here, the Danes were nowhere near as good as when we played them. As for the tärriers, the impression is a mixture of ’better than last season’ to ’utter dogsh**’. I won’t gloat until something bad happens to them next week. I don’t expect miracles. Best to simply concentrate on what we do and do it better.

I lived in Australia for a few years and occasionally would go and watch Perth Glory. Trust me, very few teams managed more than four passes to a team mate which may explain his apparent joy. In the football section of The Gruniard they have a cartoonist who is occasionally quite amusing albeit a bit right on, David Squires, however for reasons that are not obvious they cover Australian football and his cartoons often feature that. For reasons that are now becoming apparent he used to deride flAnge without mercy.

Back