Rory Wilson

That's a hefty tag to hang on any youngster and, perhaps, a bit unfair on the kid. He's still playing with the u18s I think, isn't he? I believe he's still only 15 or 16 years old so probably not even on a professional contract yet.

I do hope we don't go through a phase of every youngster being described as 'the next Billy Gilmour'.

Last edited:
Not seen him but he scored a hat-trick for the youths in a friendly yesterday:

Let's hope so, but the proof will be in the pudding, there have been more than a few kids who have been looked on as fantastic prospects, those who rise to Gilmour's level are few & far between.

He’s a totally different player to Billy. Different physique for a start, Rory is decent size for his age. He’s a striker also, although he could probably play any position he wanted he’s that good!

I don’t think he’s actually old enough to leave school and go full time yet and I’m not sure if he’s indicated to us whether he’ll be signing a full time deal yet either.

It's forever going to be the risk that some EPL side takes a punt on our youths. Look at Kennedy yesterday, Gilmour before him. I'm surprised we've held on to Patterson. I also worry that Brexit will have an impact on this too. Maybe more and more English clubs will be forced to look up here for value.

It's forever going to be the risk that some EPL side takes a punt on our youths. Look at Kennedy yesterday, Gilmour before him. I'm surprised we've held on to Patterson. I also worry that Brexit will have an impact on this too. Maybe more and more English clubs will be forced to look up here for value.

Probably very true. The upshot is, if we have the premier academy in the country, then we can command a premium for our youth players. Obviously we would prefer to keep our better players, but there is profit to be made in player trading of youths. Chelsea and Liverpool do it really well.

I’ve come across him quite recently. He is scoring a huge number of goals according to various sources (not sure how reliable). Seven in a game where we scored 8. Two hat tricks in two days. A hat trick for Scotland u18s against Man City. A hat trick yesterday. Pretty impressive for a 15 year old playing u18s. He looks quite a big athletic type.

Gilmour was training with the first team at 15 wasn’t he.

I’m sure Warburton wanted to play him but couldn’t so brought him along in match day squads anyway.

More must be done to protect these youngsters and their clubs, the fact they can leave for a pittance before they sign professional terms is a disgrace and i include other Scottish teams in that with us and them across the city. It may make for a more competitive league.

Difference is Patterson has Rangers at heart ..he wants to play for us , ...the other two don't...

And we’ll continue to do the same, we’ve picked up quite a few young players from down south due to this too.

Must admit hearing about all these next big things leaves me feeling a bit meh. I'd say only Barry and now perhaps Gilmour are the only ones who have came through and justified that tag. There seems to be a massive drop off in development between 14/15 and 20/21.

Billy Gilmour isn't Billy Gilmour yet.
Remember when Fleck was coming through and his legend had been written before a first team game.

Gilmour looks the part, but still has to go out and prove he's got it. I'm sure he wil based on what he's shown so far.

If Rory's similar all the better, but keep expectations grounded. Oh, and get him on a decent contract as well so we don't lose out like Gilmour.

Take away his parents internet/phones until we get him tied to a professional contract.
Get his dad on a £5k a week contract to sit in the stadium every other week and tell is how comfy the seats are, until he can sign himself.

Is that not how they do it down south? Basically bribe the parents to get the kids to sign on?

Think Leon King is the next one we’ll see make a breakthrough into the first team tbh!

Get his dad on a £5k a week contract to sit in the stadium every other week and tell is how comfy the seats are, until he can sign himself.

Is that not how they do it down south? Basically bribe the parents to get the kids to sign on?
You need to stop this misinformation . Billy Gilmour’s family wouldn’t allow him to sign a professional contract.

They still left him at our Academy despite multiple offers from other clubs when he was 14.
We have been told that sell on agreements have earned us over £1m to date.

Billy is reckoned to be earning over £2m per annum and he’s only 20 yo. We cannot compete with that and never will.

Our people have done a great job and deserved credit not sarcastic comments that are simply not true

Went to school with his Mum and seen she posted the other night he was moving into digs as he was singing pro.
His Dad played a couple of games for the Sheep in his youth.

Last edited:
@elfideldo is the man to give a reasoned and balanced account on Wilson having seen him play - unlike the majority on here. He’s not going to be crass enough to label him ‘the next Billy Gilmour’ or heap unnecessary pressure on him, but he could certainly give us an idea of his standing in comparison to his peers and whether he’s one to keep an eye on.

Calm your jets ffs. He's hardly going to be glued to this thread.

Football fan in getting overly excited about young player shocker.

Went to school with his Mum and seen she posted the other night he was moving into digs as he was singing pro.
His Dad played a couple of games for the Sheep in his youth.
Think he has a younger brother also playing for us.
Younger brother playing for them

You need to stop this misinformation . Billy Gilmour’s family wouldn’t allow him to sign a professional contract.

They still left him at our Academy despite multiple offers from other clubs when he was 14.
We have been told that sell on agreements have earned us over £1m to date.

Billy is reckoned to be earning over £2m per annum and he’s only 20 yo. We cannot compete with that and never will.

Our people have done a great job and deserved credit not sarcastic comments that are simply not true
Calm down fella. I wasn't suggesting Billy Gimour's family had done anything.

I'm just pointing out that clubs down south get up to shenanigans to sign up young players. I'm sure I'd read about one (Chelsea I think) employing the father of the player they wanted as they couldn't offer the kid terms. I'm sure it goes on at others.

Think Leon King is the next one we’ll see make a breakthrough into the first team tbh!
He's out of contract next summer so club will need to get moving on with it if we want to tie him down. Need to show there's a pathway for him or else I think he might go.

Calm down fella. I wasn't suggesting Billy Gimour's family had done anything.

I'm just pointing out that clubs down south get up to shenanigans to sign up young players. I'm sure I'd read about one (Chelsea I think) employing the father of the player they wanted as they couldn't offer the kid terms. I'm sure it goes on at others.
perfectly calm old chap, you were suggesting our people had missed the boat, which is wrong

perfectly calm old chap, you were suggesting our people had missed the boat, which is wrong
I don't think i suggested that at all. I simply suggested we engage in similar shenanigans to tie the lad down if he's a prospect. If down south come in with a bigger offer there's not much we can do.

I don't think i suggested that at all. I simply suggested we engage in similar shenanigans to tie the lad down if he's a prospect. If down south come in with a bigger offer there's not much we can do.
“Oh, and get him on a decent contract so we don’t lose out like we did with Billy Gilmour”

So what were you meaning by that?

Back