Jon McLaughlin

IF Shagger was to retire at the end of the coming season, would you rather:

• Bring McLaughlin in as the first choice keeper.

Votes: 599 77.4%
  • Find a replacement to Shagger and keep Jon as backup.

Votes: 175 22.6%

• Total voters
Big Jon should be made number 1 now, and Greegs can sit on the bench as back up.

I would also suggest that Defoe and Davis should be seen only as back next season, and all three will probably retire after that.

We need to move forward, without any sentimentality. All great players, all great servants for the club, but sadly all past their best.
Hahahahahahahahaha

One of the worst things i've heard on here, and that takes some beating

Hes good.

But as a Ranger we always strive to have the best.

I think hes in the same league as Niemi was for us.

I would like him to excel as number 1 but think we can do better.

Saying that I have been spoiled over the years and he would be no1 for the scum if he went there.
What are you basing it on him not being good enough? He deserves a run at least based on his current showing before we'd consider going into the market I'd hope.

Depends - I'd have no issue with McLaughlin and McCrorie pushing each other for No.1 next season, but if a better goalkeeper was available at a decent price, we should always be looking to improve wherever possible.

Reactions: TQ3
I would trust McLaughlin as our number one for a season or two max as he is 33 (still a few years left for a GK I know) I would like a younger mid 20's goalkeeper.

I also don't have full confidence that McCrorie will make it as a first team regular. I do hope he proves me wrong though.

If we can get better then we get him
If not we go with him
I think he's good enough but that doesn't mean we shouldn't upgrade if we can
Same as for every other player

I'd quite like to see him in more games this year but last season he was confident enough and kept an impressive number of clean sheets as much as that became a theme of the season and had a lot to do with our entire team set up. He's much more confident with the ball at his feet than McGregor.

McLaughlin is a great keeper. Shagger is a world class keeper. When he goes he needs to be replaced with such.

McLaughlin is a good number 2 for us, would like to think he would make the step up to number 1.

I cant think of a keeper outwith McGregor who has went from Number 2 to Number 1?
Klos from Charbonnier (I know Klos was signed to be first choice as Charbonnier was injured but I think many thought Klos would be second choice to Charbonnier once the Frenchman was fit).

Alexander to McGregor. Again more of a circumstances thing than a back up to first choice. After Bevygate Alexander took over for the rest of the season. Did Alexander not hang around for the Brechin game in 2012 too?

Was Simonsen not a back up to Cammy Bell? again an injury ruled Bell out but he never regained his place.

Klos from Charbonnier (I know Klos was signed to be first choice as Charbonnier was injured but I think many thought Klos would be second choice to Charbonnier once the Frenchman was fit).

Alexander to McGregor. Again more of a circumstances thing than a back up to first choice. After Bevygate Alexander took over for the rest of the season. Did Alexander not hang around for the Brechin game in 2012 too?

Was Simonsen not a back up to Cammy Bell? again an injury ruled Bell out but he never regained his place.
Alexander played the full 12/13 season, and would have stayed longer if the club was being run better.

there seems to be a fair amount of people who wouldnt want him as number 1 keeper for us, so i do wonder, what exactly has he done to suggest he isnt good enough to be rangers number 1?

started last season as first choice and kept 7 clean sheets in a row, and had something like 10 clean sheets in 12 games or something like that! FWIW i actually think his distribution is much better than McGregor, theres no debate over who is the better keeper but I would feel more than comfortable with McLaughlin as our next unmber 1

Looked like a keeper coming into his prime in first dozen or so games and at the time people were less and less stressed about Greegs return date. Made all the saves you would expect plus a couple I remember as being exceptional. Contrast and compare with That Lot who would have any of our keepers as their first choice right now. Actually heard a Celtic fan say something mildly amusing last season when he griped 'We must be the only club in Scotland with 3 third choice keepers.'

He really impressed me when he played.

I hadn't seen much of him and questioned if he was good enough. Proved me wrong and deserves to take over for a season or 2 while we bring in a younger keeper or 2 to take over from him

Robbie McRorie’s progress may have a bearing on how they go forward post-Greegs. But getting a goalkeeper better than McLaughlin would need either a lucky Bosman signing or some decent money.

I was a huge advocate for signing him, and his signing thread was hilarious with the amount of folk who know heehaw.

However, I think he lacks the X-factor to be a proper Rangers number 1. Domestically, he’d be fine and easily the best keeper in the country so no complaints.
Excellent keeper. Knew when we had him at Hearts he was a level up on what we had previously and it was no surprise to see him attract interest at a better level.

As a Sunderland fan, I was amazed that we went in for him. A very good back up Rangers keeper but not one I'd pin my hopes on for the coming seasons (would happily be proved wrong).

I would 100% want a replacement.

McLaughlin was steady enough last year, but he didnt exactly get tested a great deal. He doesn't fill me with great confidence that he would be able to stand about for 75 minutes and then make the save to keep us level or a goal ahead going into the last few minutes

I don’t think McLaughlin is the medium-term, never mind long-term answer but he is literally a safe pair of hands and would be more than good enough for up to a season while the longer-term is sorted out.

It really all hangs around McCrorie - at 23 he really needs to start playing regularly for Rangers or look to move on for the sake of his career.
Him being promoted to #2 goalkeeper would mean an exit for McLaughlin though.

I don’t think McLaughlin is the medium-term, never mind long-term answer but he is literally a safe pair of hands and would be more than good enough for up to a season while the longer-term is sorted out.

It really all hangs around McCrorie - at 23 he really needs to start playing regularly for Rangers or look to move on for the sake of his career.
Him being promoted to #2 goalkeeper would mean an exit for McLaughlin though.
And for what it’s worth… if we have developed McCrorie for all this time but never give the lad a decent run at a few games then it is a poor show.

Doesn’t show a lot of faith in our own development process for players.
Goalkeeper is a unique position - really does require giving someone a run of games to see how they react to the pressure of being the last line of defence.

I think he'll play more this season with a look to see if he's up to it. He's obviously not a longterm replacement with age etc.

McLaughlin is a great keeper. Shagger is a world class keeper. When he goes he needs to be replaced with such.
Where we finding 1 within our budget mate? GK go for decent money nowadays we ain't getting anyone as good as Mcgregor in our price range
Only way we get someone as good again is if someone comes through the youth ranks imo.

As a Sunderland fan, I was amazed that we went in for him. A very good back up Rangers keeper but not one I'd pin my hopes on for the coming seasons (would happily be proved wrong).
I have him similar level to Neil Alexander. Would you agree? Decent keeper who can be relieved upon to a point but not a great keeper.

I voted to instate McLaughlin no.1 in that scenario. And I'm saying that in my belief that he is a very good goalkeeper but probably not capable of the incredible that Goram, Klos and McGregor are.

He'd be more than good enough to keep for us. To replace the McGregor would take millions upon millions that could be utilised elsewhere if we were in that position.

Fully expect that he has been told he will follow McGregor. No complaints here.

Where we finding 1 within our budget mate? GK go for decent money nowadays we ain't getting anyone as good as Mcgregor in our price range
Only way we get someone as good again is if someone comes through the youth ranks imo.
There is enough of a body of evidence now to suggest we know how to shop without our budget incredibly well to be fair, I mean our current keeper was literally free.

Our price range can vary from what we want as well, a developing talent we are banking on improving who can be found for a tidy fee, Kamara, an International of cost who is going to instantly develop the first team, Helander. We have also pushed the boat out for the guarantee of a player we know we will sell for a profit in Hagi and Kent.

We are generally pretty good at talent identification within our budget, a budget which has ranged from a bosman to a player we signed for close to 8 million.

It is entirely possible for us to find a quality keeper without them coming through our youth.

A 33 year old whose spent the vast majority of his career in the English lower leagues is nowhere near the standard we need.

Hes good.

Saying that I have been spoiled over the years and he would be no1 for the scum if he went there.

Totally agree.

He is not a long term Rangers No.1.

He, for me is in the same category as Neil Alexander (ok, we know he became No.1 in a very different scenario). He's a very good back up to have, and prob too good a backup for most teams.

There is that problem. Even some of the big money keepers are shite! Maybe McCrorie has it in him as a young keeper. I’ve not seen enough of him.

Hes good.

Niemi was an EPL level keeper who played over 60 times for his country.

He’s barely put a foot wrong when he was playing. I’d be pretty happy if he was our no 1 keeper next season with McCrorie as backup.

Totally agree.

He is not a long term Rangers No.1.

He, for me is in the same category as Neil Alexander (ok, we know he became No.1 in a very different scenario). He's a very good back up to have, and prob too good a backup for most teams.
This is correct.

Big Jon should be made number 1 now, and Greegs can sit on the bench as back up.

I would also suggest that Defoe and Davis should be seen only as back next season, and all three will probably retire after that.

We need to move forward, without any sentimentality. All great players, all great servants for the club, but sadly all past their best.
Not sure if serious?

Greegs and Davis both outstanding last season could put up and argument for both for POTY.

Sorry mate but that’s an absolutely mental post.

I have him similar level to Neil Alexander. Would you agree? Decent keeper who can be relieved upon to a point but not a great keeper.
Yeah, pretty much. Probably a bit better than Alexander but certainly not a stand out. Does a good job but not someone who you'd think will be worth 10 points a season. In the games he did play last season he wasn't tested that much (tbh, I could have played in goal for most of those games and we'd still have won). Would be interesting (but not pleasurable) to see how he'd cope with being tested more. With Sunderland's porous defence in front of him, he was decent but not amazing.

This is completely hypothetical so don’t take it too seriously, just curious to see what people think.
His early season form and last year was superb. Showed a winners mentality a d performed with skill and confidence. No issues with Jon being the no.1.played a big part in our success last season.

If Shagger is struggling to get down to the low ones near his feet then I wouldn't hesitate to have Jon McLaughlin as our number one. I would say that Shagger deserves to be number one at the start of the season though.

McLaughlin is too old to become Rangers first choice keeper in 2022.

Need a new starting keeper for next season when McGregor eventually retires. We've also got a decision to make regarding McCrorie.

Not sure if serious?

Greegs and Davis both outstanding last season could put up and argument for both for POTY.

Hahahahahahahahaha

One of the worst things i've heard on here, and that takes some beating
You’re obviously a lunatic.

Glad you all enjoy sharing my thoughts.

I think we all accept Defoe will not be a regular next season (?).

Greegs is 39, he will be 40 before the end of the season. He had a great season last season.

Davis is 36, he'll be 37 at the turn of the year. He had a great season last season.

My point is at what point do they stop playing? They are past their best physically.

Should we keep playing them until they start effing things up? It's always better to leave on a high.

We need to keep improving as a team, season on season

I'll repeat there is no room for sentimentality. Thanks guys, but time to move on.

Glad you all enjoy sharing my thoughts.

I think we all accept Defoe will not be a regular next season (?).

Greegs is 39, he will be 40 before the end of the season. He had a great season last season.

Davis is 36, he'll be 37 at the turn of the year. He had a great season last season.

My point is at what point do they stop playing? They are past their best physically.

Should we keep playing them until they start effing things up? It's always better to leave on a high.

We need to keep improving as a team, season on season

I'll repeat there is no room for sentimentality. Thanks guys, but time to move on.
You could feasibly have made a case for not playing them last season based on this logic, which shows the clear flaw in it

Given his age I’d hope that if he was our #1 it would only be for a year, maybe two. Solid and dependable, but we should aim higher. Definitely someone to keep around though.

Back