Jon McLaughlin

IF Shagger was to retire at the end of the coming season, would you rather:

• Bring McLaughlin in as the first choice keeper.

Votes: 599 77.4%
  • Find a replacement to Shagger and keep Jon as backup.

Votes: 175 22.6%

• Total voters
You could feasibly have made a case for not playing them last season based on this logic, which shows the clear flaw in it

I agree. I could have said the same a year ago.

But I'll repeat again, when do you stop playing them?

When you find someone better I suppose?

Glad you all enjoy sharing my thoughts.

I think we all accept Defoe will not be a regular next season (?).

Greegs is 39, he will be 40 before the end of the season. He had a great season last season.

Davis is 36, he'll be 37 at the turn of the year. He had a great season last season.

My point is at what point do they stop playing? They are past their best physically.

Should we keep playing them until they start effing things up? It's always better to leave on a high.

We need to keep improving as a team, season on season

I'll repeat there is no room for sentimentality. Thanks guys, but time to move on.
No one is saying we stop improving, but your continually saying they are past their best yet both had arguably their best ever season in a blue shirt, no?

Klos from Charbonnier (I know Klos was signed to be first choice as Charbonnier was injured but I think many thought Klos would be second choice to Charbonnier once the Frenchman was fit).

Alexander to McGregor. Again more of a circumstances thing than a back up to first choice. After Bevygate Alexander took over for the rest of the season. Did Alexander not hang around for the Brechin game in 2012 too?

Was Simonsen not a back up to Cammy Bell? again an injury ruled Bell out but he never regained his place.
Klos was our first choice purchase but contractual issues stopped us from signing him. He bought out his own contract eventually I think. Klos was always signed as first choice regardless of who had the jersey at the time.

No one is saying we stop improving, but your continually saying they are past their best yet both had arguably their best ever season in a blue shirt, no?

Yes they did, and not arguably either, they had outstanding seasons and played a very important part in winning 55. And that will never be forgotten.

But we move on, we have to. Every player has his shelf life, his limits if you like.

We cannot allow failure to be a driver, success is the driver. Success allows us to bring in better.

I agree. I could have said the same a year ago.

But I'll repeat again, when do you stop playing them?

When you find someone better I suppose?
When they start showing signs of their standard dropping perhaps?

McGregor was as good last season as I’ve ever seen him, and you want him dropped. Absolute fucking madness

When they start showing signs of their standard dropping perhaps?

McGregor was as good last season as I’ve ever seen him, and you want him dropped. Absolute fucking madness

Not if you want Rangers to be successful.

No successful club, business or individual waits for standards to drop before making changes.

McGregor was good last season, I would say very good. Will he be very good next season?

Put it another way, if Rangers were to sign a 39-40 year old keeper as our No 1 for next season would you be impressed?

Not if you want Rangers to be successful.

No successful club, business or individual waits for standards to drop before making changes.

McGregor was good last season, I would say very good. Will he be very good next season?

Put it another way, if Rangers were to sign a 39-40 year old keeper as our No 1 for next season would you be impressed?
McGregor dropping standards is still better than McLaughlin btw.

Irrelevant hypothetical scenario you’ve just created there.

McLaughlin hasn't done anything wrong so deserved a chance as number 1

It's McCrorie im not sure about highly rated but yet to see it.

Yes they did, and not arguably either, they had outstanding seasons and played a very important part in winning 55. And that will never be forgotten.

But we move on, we have to. Every player has his shelf life, his limits if you like.

We cannot allow failure to be a driver, success is the driver. Success allows us to bring in better.
McGregor and Davis are two of our best players, and two of the standouts in scotland. We stop playing them when that changes.

Is McLaughlin as good as Alan McGregor?

If he isn't then taking over from McGregor would be a downgrade in goals. If he is then McGregor shouldn't be number 1 to start the season.

McLaughlin isnt going to improve. He isnt suddenly going to become better than he is now. If that isnt Rangers first choice keeper quality then another year won't make him better and when McGregor retires we'd be downgrading.

Either McLaughlin is good enough now or the club needs to make a decision on McGregor's replacement. At best there's this season to scout and identify the next guy to be our first choice keeper or to decide the McCrorie is worth the chance.

I suspect that this will be the last season for both McGregor and McLaughlin, that McCrorie will return to Rangers for 2022 and that we'll sign a new keeper to be our first choice.

Back