George Edmundson leaves

I fully understand what you and everyone else is saying but just because a club may bid for a player it does not mean that the player will agree to move. Look at Edmundson as a prime example. It is most likely that wherever he goes he will be taking a pay cut. Perhaps he doesn't want to reduce his wages so he says no I'm going to stay and fight for a place but Rangers want his salary of the wage bill so they agree a sweetener to move him on. You're telling me that doesn't happen?
You are using him as a prime example, in a thread about all about him!
Use someone else and prove your point. Otherwise it’s speculation and shit stirring.

No i have to disagree. If you are a contracted player on a miilion a year with 2 years left on your contract and another team comes in for you offering 10 million and the club you are contracted to want (or need) that money and want to push the transfer through then you as the contracted player would be quite with in your rights to demand some sort of payment in lieu of the remaininder of your contract. Off course, in this scenario, 10 million in to 2 million out, the selling club would still benefit.

Up there with the biggest lot of pish I've read on here. And I've read some grade A nonsense.

He & his agent negotiate the contract with the buying club.

Absolutely no chance the selling club are paying him off on top of that unless it's extreme circumstances just to get him off the wage bill, which clearly this isn't.

Bongani Zungu, Nathan Patterson, Calvin Bassey, Dapo Mebude and Brian Kinnear have all been cited after a party was broken up by police last month
Met up in one house together (just themselves and their partners), stupid and against the rules at the time.

But not as stupid as going to a random party with people outwith the club which I believe was the situation with Edmundson and Jones.

Up there with the biggest lot of pish I've read on here. And I've read some grade A nonsense.

Absolutely no chance the selling club are paying him off on top of that unless it's extreme circumstances just to get him off the wage bill, which clearly this isn't.
I’m afraid it’s not mate. In the modern game, the players representatives will be negotiating with both clubs as often as not, even if only small details (such as outstanding “loyalty bonuses”, which are what often get described as ”a signing on fee”).

There is unlikely to be much to discuss between Edmundson and Rangers, but there may still be small details and if he hasn’t requested a transfer then some of those details are open to negotiation. In the example the previous poster gave, it is very very likely the the player would look to receive some recompense for the “lost” earnings as a result of joining a club on a reduced wage.

The agent may also negotiate with the selling club for his own fee for brokering a transfer.

Modern transfers are infinitely more complex transactions than the newspapers lead most fans to understand.

Last edited:
You are using him as a prime example, in a thread about all about him!
Use someone else and prove your point. Otherwise it’s speculation and shit stirring.
I'm very sorry but the last thing I am trying to do is shirt stir. The ONLY point I am making is that any contracted player holds all the high cards if he does not request a transfer. Now you and I don't know, perhaps big George seen the writing on the wall and asked for a transfer but if he did not then, whether you like it or not, why should he be forced to move to another club at potentially reduced terms just because Rangers want his wages off the bill.

Ps, please see my post below regarding Alan Huttons transfer to Spurs as me "using someone else to prove your point"

Last edited:
Patterson and Bassey met up with fellow teammates and didn’t know they weren’t allowed to do that.

Edmundson and Jones went to a house party in a shithole to shag 6/10’s from Snapchat and tried to hide it from the club.
Had actually forgot that mate, was thinking on the 2nd infringement when I 1st posted.

Same has to apply for both him & Jones though.

And I think most of us would agree that Jones is the one making a tit out of his opportunity. However is getting a chance so far.

Would go back to original thought/question.. Is he knocking down any doors? If Goldson left, would we look to him as a replacement. Not edmundson. Probably not Simpson either right now, but how do you really split those two.

Also have I believe one or two other young lads who could come in if a space was available, Mayo I think is a CB?

This might just be one of those times where it could have happened but never.

Found this report in regards to the transfer of Alan Hutton to Spurs back in the day. I have attached a link to the full story for you to read at your leisure but I would draw your attention to the extract from the story which I have pasted below and, in particular, the bit I have highlighted in bold to make it easy for you to see.

Grade A pish and all that!

Hutton will sign a deal worth £33,000 a week, significantly more than that initially offered by Spurs three weeks ago, which runs until the summer of 2012, and he has received a pay-off in the region of £1m from Rangers. Should the £2m in add-ons be activated he would effectively become the most expensive Scottish player in history, eclipsing Sunderland's £9m purchase of Craig Gordon last summer.

Rooney on SSN saying they currently only have one centre back. Sounds like maybe it is Derby but can’t be announced due to their current issues

Best of luck to the lad wherever his career takes him. I dont think he would ever have made one of the CB positions his own he was no more than a squad filler. Will do a decent job for a lot of clubs out there.

Good luck GE4. You wore the jersey and lived the dream…
Odd facts on Geo. Joint goalscorer for Motherwell against Rangers last season - think about it.
And the last Rangers player to score a European goal at Ibrox…

I fully understand what you and everyone else is saying but just because a club may bid for a player it does not mean that the player will agree to move. Look at Edmundson as a prime example. It is most likely that wherever he goes he will be taking a pay cut. Perhaps he doesn't want to reduce his wages so he says no I'm going to stay and fight for a place but Rangers want his salary of the wage bill so they agree a sweetener to move him on. You're telling me that doesn't happen?

I still have no idea why you've decided we're buying out his contract though. There's been no suggestion of that anywhere - it's literally just you that's saying so.

He wasn't the only one.
Others got a second chance

He had one good game in Europe and otherwise fluctuated between error prone and average. He's since had the same opportunities to impress in training as everyone else and presumably hasn't. He was a signing that was an inexpensive punt, but it was always going to be a big jump up from Oldham in League Two to Rangers, and it's been one he hasn't managed.

I don't believe that players like Barker, Jones and Edmundson never got a chance. Gerrard and McAllister have both publicly called out for fringe players to step up in training in the past. (Presumably Barker did at the start of last season when he was involved in the team for a few weeks.) Edmundson was always going to be struggling to make the grade here given he was competing with a Swedish internationalist and a player previously capped by Croatia, and then an experienced pro in Balogun. He's not good enough for us - though I don't doubt he'll have a decent career in the English lower leagues - and if we can make a small profit with a sell on fee, it's best for all parties if he moves on.

Good luck to him, had wished better for him regarding the promise he came with, not the worst we've ever had by a longshot, 24 months from now and 2 seasons under his belt it wouldn't surprise me to see him playing at a higher level in England with fee of between 5 and 10M.

Back