25 years ago today we lost Jock Wallace

Hard to believe that Jock Wallace was only 60 years old when he passed. it just seems so young. I remember the shock I felt when he walked away from the club in 1978. To this day his reasons for doing that remain unknown to me. He undoubtedly gave the club and supporters a wee lift in the period he returned after John Greig resigned but we never reached the levels of his first spell.
We never had the players of his first spell.
Mccoist, and a emerging durrant and ferguson were about it.
Cooper needed better around him as well.
Defence and goalies at the time were out biggest downfall imo.

We never had the players of his first spell.
Mccoist, and a emerging durrant and ferguson were about it.
Cooper needed better around him as well.
Defence and goalies at the time were out biggest downfall imo.

Each of the points you make is a fair one. At that point in time, in my opinion, the financial situation at the club due to the reconstruction of the stadium did have an impact. I remember Davie Cooper threatening to leave as the club was swithering about giving him a fee for 're-signing' (which was the term that was used back then when a player committed himself to another spell at the club). Apparently Cooper had asked for £40k, which in the scheme of things was peanuts for a player of his ability, yet it caused an issue within the club at the time. I remember one of my uncles telling me he was finished if Cooper left Ibrox.

Each of the points you make is a fair one. At that point in time, in my opinion, the financial situation at the club due to the reconstruction of the stadium did have an impact. I remember Davie Cooper threatening to leave as the club was swithering about giving him a fee for 're-signing' (which was the term that was used back then when a player committed himself to another spell at the club). Apparently Cooper had asked for £40k, which in the scheme of things was peanuts for a player of his ability, yet it caused an issue within the club at the time. I remember one of my uncles telling me he was finished if Cooper left Ibrox.
See John Mcleland for similar i guess.
Crowds werent great either at times thus constraining income.

Can add to this , Jock wanted to sign two major Scottish players who went on to have tremendous careers but the club couldn’t or wouldn’t offer up the funds to get them .

Alan Hansen from Patrick Thistle and Gordon Strachan from Dundee .

Back