George Edmundson leaves

Goldson, Helander, Balogun and Katic for me.

I’m not saying you are criticising him here mate, but some of the stick that Katic gets on here is beyond me.

He’s kept himself in incredible shape, but once he’s got the match fitness that everyone will be lacking then he’s in our top four for me.
It’s fine him being in good shape but he’s shown over his time here he can’t play out from the back very well, his passing is limited and last season showed that having three reliable centre backs can do for us.

Katic after a rocky five minutes bedding in was fine yesterday.
Simpson won’t cut it here, he may be the one loaned out
I thought Simpson looked good 1st half. The fact he's naturally left footed will maybe swing it in his favour. You would have 2 natural left sided CHs in Helander and Simpson. 2 naturally right sided CHs (know Balogun has spent most of his time playing left of a 2)in Balogun and Goldson.

He's nowhere near as good as Goldson/Helander/Balogun.
Don't think anyone is saying he is going to be starting ahead of them but he will do as back up.

Although we haven't seen enough of him to say he isn't as good, have a look back at comments on Goldson and Barisic in their first seasons.

Katic won’t be going on loan to a sub-standard SPFL team.

That would be an insult to him, plus I think that would benefit Simpson just as much if not more.
It wouldn’t be an insult. It could be viewed as a pragmatic option, benefit from more or less guaranteed first team football while staying close to the Rangers management and medical staff, commute from his current home instead of going abroad to a new country, new language etc. If it was with a view to a permanent move it would be different. Of course there is the benefit to Rangers of providing a decent SPFL side with a proper siege defender for games vs Celtic.

He has all the attributes to be in that ball park imo. Just a question if we can help him put it altogether imo.
I don't see it he has all the trademarks of Danny Wilson just doesn't look strong enough for our backline.
Don't think anyone is saying he is going to be starting ahead of them but he will do as back up.

Although we haven't seen enough of him to say he isn't as good, have a look back at comments on Goldson and Barisic in their first seasons.
If the management turn a 5th choice Bournemouth defender with limited first team football into an effective option for us I'll be stunned.

Balogun will move on next season as he advised that he wants to go back to Germany.
That gives simpson / katic a bit of time to get up to set speed.
Lets be honest , Katic wasnt that good pre injury, nowhere near goldson and helander.
He not only had to prove his fitness/ injury free but needs to improve.
That is a big ask and will need at least a season to do it imo

Balogun will move on next season as he advised that he wants to go back to Germany.
That gives simpson / katic a bit of time to get up to set speed.
Lets be honest , Katic wasnt that good pre injury, nowhere near goldson and helander.
He not only had to prove his fitness/ injury free but needs to improve.
That is a big ask and will need at least a season to do it imo
Katic was immense 2 seasons in a row in all our Europa qualifiers. Warsaw at Ibrox being a particular stand out from memory.

Last edited:
Not sure what you’re saying. Our manager also signed Grezda.

Know you of any manager or club who doesn’t make signings who don’t work out ?
Of course all signings don't work out, but your words were,
Good luck to him but anyone who thinks he was ever of the requisite standard needs their eyes tested.
Our manager obviously thought he was or we wouldn't have signed him.

Might be alone in this, and haven't read the thread all the way through, but think Balogun is every bit as likely to cost us as Katic. Also not huge on Simpson, but if I'm honest its probably because I haven't seen as much of him

Katic was immense 2 seasons in a row in all our Europa qualifiers. Warsaw at Ibrox being a particularl stand out from memory.
Not in the league , especially plastic pitches.
One week on FF he was a world beater then the next 3 he was shocking.
I think concentration was his biggest problem.
You need to remember, it was other players that all contributed to our league win.
The guy has a chance but even without the injury is he any better than Balogun.
No is my opinion.
So a fit Katic is 4th choice.

I don't see it he has all the trademarks of Danny Wilson just doesn't look strong enough for our backline.

If the management turn a 5th choice Bournemouth defender with limited first team football into an effective option for us I'll be stunned.
They done it with Goldson. A lot of people said he wasn’t good enough in his first season and now look at him.

They done it with Goldson. A lot of people said he wasn’t good enough in his first season and now look at him.
Goldson has pedigree and was highly rated before his heart issue yes there was some ropey moments but he's ironed out some weaknesses to become a very good defender for us.

Simpson is just one of those signings same as Zungu, King, Barker, Jones, Stewart that I can't get my head around also a 4 year deal is madness.

He did, but there is always a mistake in him. If he can get that wee bit lack of concentration sorted then he’ll be good.
Same with Balagun though he gifted the ball to a Brighton player in the box early on yesterday.
Every player makes mistakes.
I think he will come good he was excellent yesterday and offers the same as Goldson with his passing, a couple long balls yesterday were top notch.

We did it with a guy who couldn’t get a game for Brighton

I thought Simpson played well yesterday. Some people have decided hes crap already.
This is my view on Simpson. For whatever reason (probably the unfair comparison to the form of Goldson / Helander / Balogun) people seem to have judged him a failure after a handful of games. I know he’s 24, but I think he has less than 30 first team games to his name. Perhaps he’s a late developer, perhaps he’ll turn out not to have the natural ability to reach the level we need but he’s not been a disaster in the games he’s played, not by any stretch of the imagination.

He seems to have the physical attributes to make it, and if he also has the natural ability and mentality, then I trust this management team to get him to the level they evidently think he’s capable of. But us writing him off from the stands won’t help that one bit.

I am with you on that. Simpson very much reminds me of Wilson. He just looks too soft to me. Even yesterday, in a game we were comfortably the better team in and weren’t ever under much pressure, Simpson didn’t look convincing to me in the 45 minutes he played. I get that it is relatively early days with Simpson but to date I just don’t see much to be encouraged about. Put another way, if we were going into a battle at Easter Road, Tynecastle, Parkhead or Pitoddrie then, based on what I have seen of him so far, I wouldn’t feel particularly comfortable that Simpson is going to stand up to it. By contrast, and for all he has flaws in his game, I would take my chances with Katic in that same situation. I wouldn’t in the slightest be worried that Katic isn’t going to match up physically with anyone and put his head in where it hurts.

I know a lot of people think that Katic should and will go out on loan. I can’t quite get my head around why we would loan out someone who has been out for 16 months and who Gerrard says needs to be brought along slowly. Why you would then hand him over to some other team and their medical staff rather than keep him under our own watchful eye is something which would seem very odd to me. My guess is that we will carry 5 centre halves at least for the first half of the season.

I have no problem with us moving on from Edmundson. I suspect he will carve out a decent career for himself elsewhere. But I just don’t think he was good enough for us.

So did I. I do sometimes wonder if I watch the same game as some.
I Suppose some people already have it in their heads he’s not very good for whatever reason and so any slight negative that can be used on him will add further ammo to the negative slant.
If you haven’t got that perspective to begin with it’s almost a more relaxed stance ok he could have done that better but overall he was fine Etc.
I think we all get them with certain players my worst was Whittaker. Never rated him 1 bit.

Goes to another club,perfects his trade,screws the nut and you never know,he was a Ranger before he came to us,I’d like to imagine he’s even more one of us now

I Suppose some people already have it in their heads he’s not very good for whatever reason and so any slight negative that can be used on him will add further ammo to the negative slant.
If you haven’t got that perspective to begin with it’s almost a more relaxed stance ok he could have done that better but overall he was fine Etc.
I think we all get them with certain players my worst was Whittaker. Never rated him 1 bit.
I don't rate Balogun. But could still see he played decent yesterday.

I don't rate Balogun. But could still see he played decent yesterday.
Does that come from Balogun at Right back v Tims?
Can’t remember him making any mistakes at centre back?
I think Balogun is fine and Simpson can only get better. He’s hardly played that many league games for us I reckon he’ll be fine, not taking Helanders shirt anytime soon but should play a good number of games.

sorry but you’re talking Shite.

The guy has no concentration, he’s so lax. He struggled to pick out a blue jersey. Shocking distribution.
According to Gerrard he liked his speed of passing out of defence. But I guess you are the expert being a double walloper and all.

You won’t get 4 more solid centre halfs anywhere in Europe than that . I’m absolutely delighted with those and I’d play any two of them and be confident . It’s our strongest area of the team our back line and mcgregor .
I may be wrong but it's best strength in depth we've ever had at CB. Yes we may of had better individual players but collectively I don't think so.

According to Gerrard he liked his speed of passing out of defence. But I guess you are the expert being a double walloper and all.

You need to go back and watch some games. Lyon away last summer is an excellent case study in Edmundson’s deficiencies.

he couldn’t pass water, I like your play on my name though. Not seen that before !

I’d rather keep Katic than Simpson tbh. Not convinced by him at all.
Agree with this, been totally underwhelmed by Simpson. Katic's injury and how he reacts after not kicking a ball for 500 days probably a concern for Gerrard though that might see him go out on loan short term.

I thought Simpson played well yesterday. Some people have decided hes crap already.

Probably the same posters who shouted down Bougherra because we shouldn't sign players from Charlton or Davie Weir because he’s too old.

Its a forum, and we’re all entitled to an opinion. How an opinion is formed with limited playing time is anyone’s guess.

Goes to another club,perfects his trade,screws the nut and you never know,he was a Ranger before he came to us,I’d like to imagine he’s even more one of us now

tenor_-_2021-07-25T160727.226.gif

Probably the same posters who shouted down Bougherra because we shouldn't sign players from Charlton or Davie Weir because he’s too old.

Its a forum, and we’re all entitled to an opinion. How an opinion is formed with limited playing time is anyone’s guess.
We had people moaning that we spent 3m on some unknown Swede from Serie A when we bought big Fil.

The same folk then went out of their way to find reasons to dislike him cause he displaced Katic in the team.

I believe that unknown swede is yet to lose a league game in our colours. (edited for accuracy)

Last edited:
It’s fine him being in good shape but he’s shown over his time here he can’t play out from the back very well, his passing is limited and last season showed that having three reliable centre backs can do for us.

Problem is, there is some evidence (not mounting, just some) that his rival for the 4th spot isn't very good at defending.

We had people moaning that we spent 3m on some unknown Swede from Serie A when we bought big Fil.

The same folk then went out of their way to find reasons to dislike him cause he displaced Katic in the team.

I believe that unknown swede is yet to lose a game in our colours.

Those same folk can remember us losing the league cup final though.

Back