Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folk have got themselves into such a frenzy over Veerman - on here, and only on here as far as I can see - that they are going to see it as some sort of major letdown if/when we go for someone else entirely.

I know nothing of him bar the clips I've seen on here and he looks decent. Not the superstar some on here would have you believe but good nevertheless. I wouldn't swap him for Kamara and a couple of million in the bank, put it that way. Or similar with Hagi. £6m-£8m though? I'm not sure we are stretching that far unless one of those two 'wants' to move on.

Some on here seem to have put all their transfer 'eggs' in the Veerman basket.
I got shot down big time for posting similar last week.

I was a 'rocket'.

All about his 'metrics' apparently.

He's ready to play for the first team this season. We need to start having confidence in our young players coming through the academy.
I agree completely but this season is also huge for next season as it’s the automatic qualification for CL. Could this be in the mind of the gaffer too though?

Personally I’d rather keep Kamara for the season to help guarantee this as nobody in the team offers what he does defensively.
Ryan Jack if he stays fit, possibly.

Hagi could be vital this season in being the midfielder along with Aribo in getting the goals from midfield instead of us spending a large sum on it

I agree completely but this season is also huge for next season as it’s the automatic qualification for CL. Could this be in the mind of the gaffer too though?

Personally I’d rather keep Kamara for the season to help guarantee this as nobody in the team offers what he does defensively.

Hagi could be vital this season in being the midfielder along with Aribo in getting the goals from midfield instead of us spending a large sum on it
Fair point about the CL, but I'd say that Kelly is more than capable of being used as a sub if games are comfortable in the league. We can then rest players should we make the CL this year.

I was a 'rocket'.

Did you not ask to be sold on Veerman, after choosing not to learn anything about him, and people explained their reasoning varying from video, stats, graphs, metrics and so on?

Bit of a snidey reply when people gave you what you wanted, and your post was nothing like VB’s.

So no, you didn’t ‘post similar’.

I don’t think we need anyone else unless someone important leaves, our squad is excellent, strong in every department.
1 or 2 more will be brought in and we will probably sell an asset to balance the books.

Think now pre season is effectively out the way Gerrard will assess the players he no longer wants here.

McCrorie (loan) Edmundson, Katic, (loan) Mayo, Middleton, Barker, Jones, Hastie will be moved on.

Depending on whether we bring in another midfielder Kelly might be given another loan somewhere that could greatly benefit him.

Signing Veerman- or somebody of a similar ilk -should be viewed as building from a position of strength. As mentioned in a previous post we need to be thinking now of life after Davis and how much we can expect to get from the likes of Jack and Arfield this season.
To be able to integrate a new player gradually into the team rather than drop someone in at the start of next season and hope he hits the ground running is a massive advantage.
I still think there’s a couple more to come in and judging by yesterday’s display we should all be very excited about the upcoming season.

While I agree this season is important, we hear the same every year. Can't play young players as this particular season is too important. In reality, it will be the same every season.

We either trust the players we develop enough, or we don't. There will never be an ideal time to blood young players, as there will always be huge pressure.

I don’t think we need anyone else unless someone important leaves, our squad is excellent, strong in every department.

Yeah. I think "the 25" sort of picks itself now. If Morelos left now I'd actually look at getting in another number 10 as opposed to number 9 as I think Sakala, Roofe, Itten (and Defoe) gives us plenty for goals.

Kelly has looked excellent and I would like him to stay with the squad this season to learn from quality players and get minutes when possible.

Veerman for me would be a signing that moves us up a level again. We are in a great position which is exactly the right time to push on again.

When we have huge CL qualifiers and hopefully group games we are going to need that level of quality

Completely agree. I was delighted at how good we looked over the weekend. I don't know whether it's an anxiety with some fans? Just worried that we won't succeed and the obvious answer is just to spend.

We're having conversations about getting Tav and Patterson in the same team because they're both too good, would we be doing that is NP had played 60 minutes in the League Cup and then been shunted out on loan to Inverness?

But anyway, the transfer thread it's evidently not the place to be promoting our academy players so I'll just shut up now.

It's obviously easier for players to break through at much smaller clubs. Not really a fair example.

And it's not just based on a pure head to head with the players involved. We need to start blooding our academy players, Kelly has done everything asked of him. He deserves his chance to kick on.

You say you love our youngsters to make the grade but you're unwilling to give them the chance. All players are on the verge of the first team at some point, if you always opt to spend money rather than give them opportunities we're just wasting out time with the academy.
Don`t read too much into my comment. I just stated a few facts about Kelly and Veerman. If we do look at Veerman despite having enough DMs/CMs and Kelly, there`s a reason for that. No more, no less.

Agree on ryan jack.

From what I seen young kelly was one of countys best players, he was mainly left out of the team/on the bench so as not to burn the lad out from what I heard and read.

That said he is not ready to come into our team and be a first team regular and play 30+ games per season.

He is potentially being groomed to play the davis role I think or at least been given the chance to see if he can play it, he will probably be in and around the squad this season and maybe get around 10-15 games, allowing davis to rest for some of the easier games, replace him for last 30 mins if game won etc.
I am all for Kelly getting a chance but it’s important we don’t expect too much from him.
Kelly is suited to the Davis role and had more energy in it but less quality, Davis is the best player to learn from so it would be good to keep him around.

On the other hand If a better player comes available with in our budget we need to always try and improve.

Kelly has looked excellent and I would like him to stay with the squad this season to learn from quality players and get minutes when possible.

Veerman for me would be a signing that moves us up a level again. We are in a great position which is exactly the right time to push on again.

When we have huge CL qualifiers and hopefully group games we are going to need that level of quality
Veerman takes our midfield up another level imagine his passing through the lines to our attacking full backs/frontline mouthwatering stuff.

Would still like another go to defender to complement Goldson/Helander/Balogun still have high hopes we are still interested in Doekhi means we can play a higher line potentially especially in Europe.

And just maybe if funds are there another number 10 someone who can play either flank and cover Kent.

I know that's very greedy but we aren't far away from going up another level and with the team improving and developing under the management just a few more additions of quality could make all the difference.

Last edited:
1 or 2 more will be brought in and we will probably sell an asset to balance the books.

Think now pre season is effectively out the way Gerrard will assess the players he no longer wants here.

McCrorie (loan) Edmundson, Katic, (loan) Mayo, Middleton, Barker, Jones, Hastie will be moved on.

Depending on whether we bring in another midfielder Kelly might be given another loan somewhere that could greatly benefit him.

Yeah thats what I mean, I don’t think we need anyone unless we sell someone, we have so many good options that bringing someone else in to add to it will just leave players frustrated.

I was a 'rocket'.

I think the reason people disagreed with you so much is because you were basing it other clubs not being interested, even though it was pointed out two Serie A clubs and the two biggest clubs in Holland outwith Ajax wanted him.

FWIW I think Veerman could be sensational for us but if the manager sees potential to develop Kelly further then I think everybody would support that.

I was one who thought we needed additions this close season but looking objectively at our squad it is well balanced with genuinely two players for each position. Of course if we lose a star or two (any from Alfie, Kent, Goldson, Hagi, Barasic) then quality replacements would be necessary.

Like most fans I like a big expensive signing and Veerman fits that bill but have this feeling it will only happen if someone leaves for big money. IMHO Veerman fits the bill of a modern day Rangers signing, spend a few years improving and impressing clubs down south before moving to EPL for megabucks.

Last edited:
Does it really matter? Stephen Kelly is sure a talent that has been around the Scottish game, playing in 33 games for Ayr United and then in 29 for Ross County by the age of 21.

Joey Veerman has played 81 games for Volendam (Dutch 2nd tier) and 61 for Heerenveen (Dutch 1st tier). He`s one year older than Kelly.

As you can see from their stats, they essentially both play primarily DM/CM. While we all love our youngsters to make a grade, there sure is a bit of a gulf in experience and talent between the two.
Well there are many factors to that experience and also massive , for us , financial implications in taking on a 5-7m fee and salary . On top of what we already spend which has been steadily increasing despite large operating losses by the club .
Imo uncle Albert has a point , it feels to me like we have a set of fans who want a marquee signing . I get that too . But were we to establish Kelly and further down the line Ofoborh and maybe even in two years Williamson And re-establish Jack as regularly available then the entire picture changes . Even if we contain that to Kelly and Jack we see the MF needs differently to here and now .

And if you look at the player people like Joey Veerman basically none of us have seen him in a real match at the ground , none of us know his personality traits both good and weak , we can only imagine how he fits technically and culturally into the team And the group . It’s great fun to see clips of players and try and do this bit it’s just a game for us fans .

imo our next signing should be a quality CD but I do realise that’s not at all what most people think , no doubt I’m talking push but if I thought we could get that player then I would take that on lol .

fortunately the club now has a DOF structure , management and technical staff that is stratospheres above our past ones and they . I’m pretty sure they will make a good decision on these matters .

Even on the evidence of a couple of games it's clear already Sakala is well capable of bursting the lines with ease. Veerman is the man we need to feed him with his superb vision and weight of pass. I really hope the board move heaven and earth to get this guy in the door because I believe the investment would be repaid many times over.

I also love the excitement of bringing in a Veerman or some other big signing, but the thought of fucking them even worse than last season with nothing but Bosmans and home-growns added to the squad is quite appealing too...

We will likely strengthen again if we qualify for the ECL or if a key player gets sold - but agree with the view we are looking very strong (remember Morelos, Roofe, Jack and Aribo all need to come back in as well) and don’t need to do much more as it stands.

As always we live game to game on here.

Friendlys mean nothing. We still need to strengthen.

It will be interesting to see what the management team think. For the first time in a long time we have a proper management team that I and the support trust fully.

They know what’s at stake.

Last night was awesome and whilst only a friendly. you can see how we are moving up the gears as pre-season nears an end.

We are in good hands but that doesn’t mean we stand still. Like I said. It will be interesting to see what Steven Gerrard still thinks we require?

I’d be more than happy to see Kelly given a proper chance rather than spend the guts of £6m on a player
You’ve been saying since last season that we need to spend money on the midfield. More recently that Jack and arfield can’t be relied on to do a full season and that this season we should be spending money on the midfield to take us to the next level.

I rate Kelly, but I think he’d benefit more from another loan. From all the different analysis and data I’ve seen on Veerman he seems a different level. A year of Veerman & Davis, then next year Kelly can come back and be part of the squad.

Can see us going for him if we don’t get Veerman
Possibly it's hard to really understand what's the real script is with Veerman and if the deal is possible and what's true and false with regards to bids going in/no bid but interested etc

I'm convinced we will bring in another midfielder it just depends who it is.

Possibly it's hard to really understand what's the real script is with Veerman and if the deal is possible and what's true and false with regards to bids going in/no bid but interested etc

I'm convinced we will bring in another midfielder it just depends who it is.
We will probably have to get one for sure. Still expecting a big bid for Glen

Heerenveen managers comments seem to indicate only Hellas have made an official bid, and we are interested.

“An offer came in from Hellas Verona and Rangers FC is also interested in Joey Veerman, but for the time being there is no indication of a quick completion of a transfer”

I’d say this only happens if we
A) Sell someone
B) Get through to the CL

I would be absolutely relaxed going into the season with what we have, but I do wonder sometimes if we could do with a more natural destroyer at the base of the midfield. Whilst Davis is obviously very comfortable there and reads the game exceptionally well, I don’t think he’s a natural tackler nor does he have the physical attributes to be a lone pivot. Kelly looks slightly stronger in the tackle than Davis to me but obviously won’t read the game as well at this stage, and I don’t think he will ever be a “pure” defensive midfielder.

Probably only an issue in a handful of games a season as we’re normally better off having a Davis-type playmaker in that position, but if we’re being picky I’d like that type of player to come in.

James Garner is expected to sign a new contract & go out on loan.

Could see that happening if we can’t afford decent fees right now.

Heerenveen managers comments seem to indicate only Hellas have made an official bid, and we are interested.

“An offer came in from Hellas Verona and Rangers FC is also interested in Joey Veerman, but for the time being there is no indication of a quick completion of a transfer”

I’d say this only happens if we
A) Sell someone
B) Get through to the CL
I would think even getting through this next round will allow us to spend a decent amount as we will get £5m for making the next round and also into the EL group stage if we don’t make the CL so hopefully no messing about in this first tie and get the job done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back