Jack Simpson

Scooby

Official Ticketer
I know he has not set the heather on fire, but some players take a while to adapt to a new club and surroundings.

I think he had a steady game against Real Madrid, and it looks like he is starting to settle into our squad.

I can now see little signs of why he was bought, some of his passes out of defence were excellent and he has a fair bit of pace about him.

The jury is still out for me, but now he is heading in the right direction. Hopefully, he can keep progressing under our excellent coaching and go on to prove himself an asset to the club.

Im not one for knee jerk reactions in writing players off but Ive got to be honest in that I just dont see it with simpson.

He just looks really shaky, not defensively strong enough, not physically strong enough and when I watch him I just get the feeling there is a mistake in him.

I get he is technically probably 4th choice but for me, I dont think he is what we need.

Im sure the coaches will be working on his weaknesses and to be fair I did pretty much write off Borna at one point as a Ranger so what do I know :))

still looks tentative but looks willing to put in the work
and i noticed he was very vocal yesterday

pinged a fair few great passes from defence as well

He played well yesterday, has looked a bit of a bomb scare previously but hopefully that's just a settling in thing.

Looks good on the ball and looks really bad defensively.

If you can coach the latter out of him then he'll be a good player, the issue with that is he's turning 25 in 5 months.

Players need time, Ally McCoist, Mark Hateley took time to win over the fans. It’s too soon to judge him. He won’t be first choice anyway, think we all know that.

He was better yesterday but I just don't think he is good enough. It's not like he's a teenager. He is currently 5th choice CB to me and I can't see him getting ahead of any of the others.

I know he has not set the heather on fire, but some players take a while to adapt to a new club and surroundings.

I think he had a steady game against Real Madrid, and it looks like he is starting to settle into our squad.

I can now see little signs of why he was bought, some of his passes out of defence were excellent and he has a fair bit of pace about him.

The jury is still out for me, but now he is heading in the right direction. Hopefully, he can keep progressing under our excellent coaching and go on to prove himself an asset to the club.
I see a lot of good things regarding the lad.
I also notice growing confidence.
He may well be a slow burn.
Anyways, fck the naysayers, my glass remains half full.

He will be the fourth choice centre back this season, his ability to play out from the back will be very valuable to Gerrard imo. He’s also done well defensively, not outstanding but he still has to adapt to Scottish football, writing him off so early is just silly. We know that Katic and edmundson aren’t good enough in certain areas like playing out from the back(Katic) and edmundson just isn’t of quality.

Im not one for knee jerk reactions in writing players off but Ive got to be honest in that I just dont see it with simpson.

He just looks really shaky, not defensively strong enough, not physically strong enough and when I watch him I just get the feeling there is a mistake in him.

I get he is technically probably 4th choice but for me, I dont think he is what we need.

Im sure the coaches will be working on his weaknesses and to be fair I did pretty much write off Borna at one point as a Ranger so what do I know :))

This was me thinking Barisic three years ago.

The boy has hadn’t settled in yet.

He done OK against the scum on his first start was it not.

The management clearly seen something in him. I am pretty sure they would also have asked Defoe if he was any good, given he was up against him in training every day for three years.

I think he gets a harder time than some because of his age. He's 24 and we expect a more complete player at that age.

But when you look at his numbers, he's played less than 50 games - Stephen Kelly has played more than him. Glenn Middleton has too - but we'd give these two players more leeway to learn the game than Simpson, IMO.

Since the turnaround we've seen in Borna, I'm more than willing to give Simpson time to settle.

It's madness writing him off so early.

I can remember a large percentage of this forum wanting Borna sold after his first season and looked how that turned out.
If you'd had told me in his first season that Borna would be scoring a brace in Europe on his 100th game for the club I'd have called you a nutter, but he did exactly that.

Was absolutely sound yesterday and seems more comfortable with every game.

He's definitely going to be our 4th choice central defender this season, so a few on here better get used to it.
He needs to be judged on his more recent performances, as opposed to how he performed last season.

He's a level below our 3 main central defenders, but he's definitely improving imo.

He made a mistake in the second half that led Edouard in but I disagree he was at fault for the goal. He got a ridiculous early booking and kept calm and did his job. I'm not saying he's a world beater but he's nowhere near as bad as made out.

Go to 3:07 and keep your eye on him

Fully willing to give him time but not hugely impressed so far. Doesn't seem to time challenges well . Am I allowed to say that without being labelled a kneejerker or boo boy? :))

I'm all for giving players the benefit of doubt when they sign for us....only a fool would right Simpson off at this juncture

I spoke to someone who played up against him in pre season and his words were that he was "soft as shite"

I've watched it countless times since it happened, he gets beat in the air but he's not the one to leave Edouard free in the six yard box. Blaming Simpson for that when others are equally (and more) at fault is mental
He doesn't get beat in the air, he doesn't even make the challenge he'd be favourite for because he's all over the place.

Giving Ajer the free header is why that goal happened.

He was atrocious in that Celtic game.
That’s just lies, edouard got the ball off him a couple of times and he should have jumped with ajer at the goal but he wasn’t atrocious, throughout the overall game he played well. Calling him atrocious is just being hyperbolic.

It's madness writing him off so early.

I can remember a large percentage of this forum wanting Borna sold after his first season and looked how that turned out.
Bad comparison.

Borna was only 2 years older than Simpson is now, and despite his shakey start he had a lot to fall back on to show he had ability.

- His performances against us
- Captaining a strong Osijek side
- Winning a big move to the top Croatian club
- 4 Croatia caps
- 145 games at a good level where he showed his ability and performed well

Simpson, despite being 24, has next to nothing to fall back on.

He's a player the management team is looking to improve as he has all the attributes to be a top defender. Left footed, pace, great passing range. Obviously, things that need work but he is only 24 which is young for a CB. Seems like a perfect 4th/5th choice going forward.

Not a fan in all honesty.

I hope if Katic is sent out on loan to get games under his belt that he’ll return as one of the four centre halves.

I suspect Simpson will be 4th choice which does worry me if something was to happen to our others which required us to play Simpson for a long period of games.

He doesn’t inspire any confidence. Comes across as being rash, gets dragged out of position and doesn’t appear to have a great deal of pace to recover either. The Celtic game he had a nightmare tbh.

I hope he proves me wrong and suspect the management team should be able to improve him somewhat. Comparisons with Barisic are silly IMO as everyone saw what he was capable of with Osijek.

He doesn't get beat in the air, he doesn't even make the challenge he'd be favourite for because he's all over the place.

Giving Ajer the free header is why that goal happened.
The goal happens because Barisic and Goldson are standing nowhere near Edouard who gets a free header inside the six yard box. Simpson could do better, sure, but to blame him solely for that goal is just wrong. There's others I'd be blaming way before him, seems like he's the new scapegoat for things.

The goal happens because Barisic and Goldson are standing nowhere near Edouard who gets a free header inside the six yard box. Simpson could do better, sure, but to blame him solely for that goal is just wrong. There's others I'd be blaming way before him, seems like he's the new scapegoat for things.
He's undeniably at fault for the goal. Nobody is saying that he's the only player who was poor at that corner.

He didn't have a good game at all that day mate.

He didn't have a good game at all that day, was at fault for their goal and almost gifted them another one.

Watch the game again, Barisic is meant to be marking Edouard. Goldson ends up running out the 6 yard box marking no one. i think Eduoard actually scores with his shoulder as he has no one near him. Simpson was marking Ajer but also ends up with Ellyounoussi too, Ajer knocked it across but he actually pulls Simpson’s jersey as the cross comes in, more are at fault than Simpson.

he actually did have a decent game.

Yes we do have a tendency to write players off before they’ve ‘settled’. But this lad has come from down the road, not Croatia
In the middle of a pandemic and mostly lock down.

But even without that, it's well documented that some players take at least a year to settle at a club like ours.

Watch the game again, Barisic is meant to be marking Edouard. Goldson ends up running out the 6 yard box marking no one. i think Eduoard actually scores with his shoulder as he has no one near him. Simpson was marking Ajer but also ends up with Ellyounoussi too, Ajer knocked it across but he actually pulls Simpson’s jersey as the cross comes in, more are at fault than Simpson.

he actually did have a decent game.
I've already linked and timestamped that corner in this thread mate so I've just seen it.

Edouard should have been picked up but Simpson ball watching leads to Ajer getting a free header, that's the beginning of the end.

Back