Sheer hypocrisy from the Times

There is absolutely no reason why the information provided to media companies paying for access would be any less accurate/more biased than at present. They're paying to have access to the club and interviews with the manager etc - what they then do with that content is up to them as it always has been.

I could see his argument if the arrangement was reversed - i.e. Rangers paying the media to cover the club - in that case, sure, there's pressure on media orgs to provide positive coverage for fear of losing their cash.

But here, if anything, the media can say with some justification "we've paid to get access so now we'll write what we like". There's arguments against charging them (I'm in favour btw) - but Rangers controlling the message isn't one of them.
This is what I don't get either. If anything, the proposed arrangement protects the media's access to the club.

Under the previous free access arrangement, if the club were annoyed about a story from a certain Journalist or publication, they could just refuse them access and not give them any exclusives. That would be more difficult to do if the publication had paid upfront for privileged access.

These Journalists know there's massive change coming to the industry and they don't know how it will pan out and what it will mean for them. The criticism of this move by Rangers just comes across as Journalists trying to fight for their livelihoods.

I'm struggling to recollect many balanced, unbiased, fair minded and accurate reports of Rangers in the last 10 years he talks about.
They could all start a "sack a journalist" project, to cover the cost, or don't replace one when they leave.
For example, the DR could punt Jackson and probably be in profit on the deal, with no appreciable difference in quality, other than accuracy improving dramatically.
Win, win, what's their problem FFS.

"Football is entertainment as well as spectacle. No self-respecting theatre, concert hall or pop venue would consider charging critics for access. Pretty soon the notices would dry up and the audiences dwindle. In England, where clubs would quite fancy charging newspapers, the argument has got nowhere. Nor should it in Scotland."

Well, that won't happen at Rangers.!

We have Steven Gerrard as our manager. Any country in the world would having weekly catchups and centre spreads on him and his he is doing with Rangers, and the excellent way Rangers have been playing in Europe. The media in Scotland has essentially ignored this, highlighted and exaggerated anything negative and other than try to hope they can print about his sacking..

Then 55 has happened, the world's media has been at the door of Ibrox, and still the cretins in the media in Scotland act as if they are the important ones and they are the game in Scotland.

The were reports that 5.5 million people watched the Real Madrid stream of our game.. So Scottish media what do you really bring to the table?

When, for instance, yesterday’s friendly against Real Madrid is reported, there will be no question-and-answer with the manager, no discussion about tactics or team choices.
Just as normal then. But I heard someone in the main stand farted while not wearing a mask.

"Who is there to probe for the truth?" His words.

You did not 'probe for the truth' when Lawwells car was torched, you just printed blatant lies and to hell with the truth. It suited your agenda then.

There is a major story in world football on your doorstep, yet you refuse to 'probe for the truth' despite the mountain of evidence. It suits your agenda now.

Loving the seethe from these people. Pay in like the rest of us, you @rseholes :D

I always get my Rangers rated news from fan media like H&H, 4lads or trusted accounts on Twitter.

The mains stream media is all but irrelevant these days for news as they are either late to the party or just print things that aren't even true.

I honestly think Celtic will be watching this with interest.

They will start charging £25,000 a time if it seems like we are getting money from it.

A good example is the Europa League incident in which the Czech player Ondrej Kudela was accused of racially abusing the Rangers player Glen Kamara. A disputed episode that required good, objective reporting, it would have been, under Rangers’ new terms, confined to a club-controlled statement, with no investigation of the circumstances, or the rebuttal from Kudela. One-sided news is no news at all.

This part of the article is quite telling, and why the press in Scotland is poorly received. Kudela did racially abuse Kamara. I'm not sure why he has chosen to include the part of it being an accusation after all of this time and the punishments handed out. Also, one other side of the story should we be looking for when a player is racially abused? The disgusting narrative from Kudela and his team? No thanks.
It is a straw man argument.
Rangers never had control over any narrative and never could in such an incident.
Rangers did have control over their own narrative on what happened and the Czechs likewise.
The press were totally free to pursue their own take on events.
To claim the requirement for objectivity is risible as if Rangers could have interfered with this.
The objectivity comes from the evidence and the reporting in an objective manner is the very basic expectation of the press.
Why would the press paying for access to Ibrox have changed any of the above?

The legacy media sources do not like the new reality. The still believe that they are the guardians and arbiters of the 'truth'.

They have been replaced by 'fan media' that has the real interests of the club at heart and thus is only credible and listened to if it is willing to criticise when it is right to do so. The idea that the old media sources are needed to protect us stupid little people from exploitation is bizarre.

They need us more than we need them. In fact, I would go as far as saying that we simply no longer need them. In a simple business sense, if they want to make a profit by using our brand then they should pay for it like anyone else.

I do think this is a really interesting debate. On the one hand I think we all believe in freedom of the press, and it is vital that independent and honest journalists are given the freedom to hold organisations (including football clubs) to account.

On the other, however, the media make money from selling stories about Rangers, and a lot of the time these stories baseless and designed to harm the Club. So why shouldn't we charge for access?

I do have a couple of questions though.

Firstly, I assume that certain competitions will require us to provide free access to media organisations (ie - the Champions League). If not will we charge foreign media a one off fee to attend?

Secondly, how do those that pay for access protect themselves? We've all seen how quickly stories/interviews on RTV and H&H get lifted. Are media outlets going to be happy paying when their 'exclusives' appear elsewhere in a matter of hours?

That’s such a honking, hate-filled article that you can just feel the bitterness oozing from every letter.

We (used to) buy papers to read what the latest was back in the day, you paid fair price and, in the main, you got fair content. Nowadays you can get that content you need and want from whatever source you choose, be it general sport or particular club news. We as fans get our info from club news, forums etc. I can’t remember the last time I bought a paper to read about Rangers purposely, and that’s genuine. Years and years ago probably. If I want news, I get it from the sources I want and that’s club related media or fan media.

Rangers are 110% correct in charging these lecherous bastards a fee to report on the club. They get a free ride each and every home match day, everything laid on ans treated like kings who would then stab you in the back in a heartbeat. Pricks like this one who writes shite like this don’t even deserve to be allowed entry to the stadium never mind paying a fee for it.

Let the press write negatively about the club if they are so bitter about having to pay. Wouldnt be any different to the free ride they get just now, so what’s the difference?

Humility he says, from a guy who couldn't wait to insinuate the firebomb attack on liewells property was due to sectarianism therefore must've been Rangers fans. As for controlling the media, wonder if he got permission from celtc before writing his guff?
:shh: :))

Hmmm.

TV gets a ratings boost but newspapers don't? Yeh right.

No independent scrutiny if they don't pay? Yeh right. There's been little or none over the real issues in the ( let's pick a random period ) last 10 years over much of the Scottish game. Forgetting of course about that herd of elephants in the corner for historic issues.

Just two points off the top my head. If I bothered i am sure I could write a piece longer than the original article taking it apart line by line.

Haha. I doesn't look like any of the scumbag press have paid their fee yet. There's a lack of pictures from yesterday, and the butt hurt articles like this one to show us there is a stand off. Well, if you're not paying then fck off. I'd long since stopped reading the garbage output by Scottish papers anyway.
The point of the press is to report what's in the public interest, and to hold the government to account. Look at the scandals these useless prcks have allowed to be managed through their publications to ensure damage limitation. And the natzi filth in Holyrood, when are they ever held to account. Never is the answer.
The Scottish media are so bad at their job it's provided Rangers with the opportunity to charge them for doing it. They are so bad at reporting that if they don't pay up the public will be done a favour and not have to entertain their bias, lies and entitled drivel that's been drooled out of Ibrox for decades.

I think the issue for media outlets is that if they pay this, every other team in the UK is going to do the same.

£25k to Rangers is fine, but Celtic will do the same so that's £50k, then other Scottish teams might charge too (but less).

In England your 'big' teams will start charging more - £50k / £100k - and before you know it the media outlets are paying £ millions for access that was previously free.

That is what they're scared of. And I reckon that's why a lot won't pay for it.

We gave them free gratis to report fair and balanced reporting, they shat in their own nest. They are the same as the other pathetic media outlets, bandwagon jumpers, copy & paste merchants, clueless and biased. They talk about, who will report for the fans if they need questions answered? Not one of them have one decent investigative journo, a requisite to their trade from the past. They simply sit at a desk, sign in to fan forums and print the gossip and take a wage for it. Only when there is shite to fling at Rangers, do they take an avid interest, let's be honest, there is some high profile stories out there from the East end of the city and every single one of them fail miserably (or chose) not to investigate. This prick talks about humility and where we were? where was the Times when criminals where savaging a prolific Scottish institution? If I was in charge of Rangers, £25,000 would have been a fraction of what I'd have charged.
We, the people, We don't need you, we certainly don't want you. RFC will be etched on your rags coffin

We can't hold these clowns to account anyway, they will always print lies and half truths, no matter how they access the club.

We may as well make a bucket of cash from them, they've milked us long enough. Perhaps FF should charge journalists too, that's where 90% of their stories come from.

This is not only about making money, it is about the power to manage news and ensure that it is positive. For a club that has only just emerged from the mire, this is hubris of a high degree.
Rangers may be enjoying a one-year high, but who is to say it will be maintained? A manager departs, say, the wins drop away, suspicions grow that the bosses are withholding investment in good players. Who is there to probe for the truth, when every reporter is inside the bubble?
The club seems unaware of all this. It argues that as television pays high fees for coverage, so should newspapers. But there is a crucial difference. Coverage of live games on TV is a boost to ratings, which have a commercial value. Newspapers are giving readers an insight into where the club stands. When, for instance, yesterday’s friendly against Real Madrid is reported, there will be no question-and-answer with the manager, no discussion about tactics or team choices. Any comments will have to be gleaned from Rangers TV, controlled by the club itself.
What is depressing is to note the complete lack of comment from the Scottish Professional Football League — the body that governs the national men’s association football league. Its own rules say there must be media access, but it has, so far as I can see, said nothing about all this. If Rangers have their way and some news organisations accept their terms, this will be the thin end of an almighty wedge, with Celtic possibly willing to join in, and then the other powerful clubs signing on.
Can someone explain this line of thinking to me? As I see it, no one is restricted from writing about Rangers, so if Rangers are being mismanaged either on or off the pitch then this could still be written about, especially as the media loves filling a vacuum. And, if the journalist's organisation has paid their money, you'd expect that this comes with guarantees that they should be able to ask what they want in interviews that they're granted. In addition to that you'd think that if we enter into a contract with these organisations that we then break by not allowing certain articles to be written or denying access to interviews then this would merit a refund?

What are we going to miss from those rats not reporting on our games they have made a fortune out of our team and yet we are treated with contempt while they voluntarily jump onto the SNP Ranger's hating bandwagon. Those days are over if you want a Rangers story get your wallet out.

I‘m absolutely loving the pain dripping from the press and media. The club has every right to charge fees and a few on here are finding that difficult to accept.

Yes, there maybe one or two that should be treated differently because of the service they provide, but the majority merely pass on news that they charge you and I for. Be it subscriptions, tv licences, cost of a newspaper or magazine, they all make revenue from our club and additionally from advertisements within their media platforms. If it reduces and eventually kills off the hate filled/ agenda driven/ utter dog shite some of these hacks churn out, then so be it.

I’m more than happy to have my (accurate) Rangers news come from one source, the rest I will not pay for.

It is amazing to see how Skint they all are... I doubt very much there will be a print version of the Record, Scotsman, Herald etc in the next 5-10 years, circulations are catastrophic.

Scotland will be a better place for it... Our media is mainly talentless and not getting any better... I'd struggle to name one interesting or thought provoking journalist in Scotland who writes for a rag.

They can report 'news' and give opinions on Rangers freely and that's as it should be.

Getting 'access' and taking photographs to create content which sells and therefore increases their profit should come with an appropriate charge.

Hubris from the paper owned by the man who had a mutual boaby sooking session with Trump for years via Fox News. The man who prides himself on winning elections for whatever party he fancies will benefit him most. That guy. Pay up or fk off.

“Who is there to probe for the truth, when every reporter is inside the bubble?”

What? Like those wonderful investigative journalists who told us all of Craig Whyte’s untold £millions and how he was the saviour of our club?

This has been an exceptional sporting summer: The British Lions’ pulsating victory in South Africa. Adam Peaty heading for gold in Tokyo. Novak Djokovic claiming a record-equalling 20th Grand Slam at Wimbledon. Collin Morikawa winning the Open golf championship on his debut. I would like to add the start of the football season in Scotland. Except there is a sour taste to it.

Last season brought one of the most remarkable resurrections in the history of the Scottish game. Rangers, a club mired for years in financial scandal, insolvency, and a humiliating demotion to the third division, completed their return to the heights of the premiership by winning the title — their first in ten years. Under a brilliant manager, Steven Gerrard, they have turned their fortunes around.

That comeback was reported, daily and in detail, on the back pages of every Scottish newspaper. Not any more. Rangers are proposing that coverage should be paid for. Not a pound or so, but big money. Newspapers will be asked for £25,000 for the privilege of reporting team news. That would allow one reporter and one photographer to attend matches and pre-match press conferences, and buy five exclusive interviews and a sit-down briefing with the manager. For £10,000 they would have access to the club, and one “exclusive” story. The media would be expected to pay for news — a concept that runs counter to the whole concept of freedom of the press. The response from newspapers can best be described as “cool”. One hopes the proposal will be thrown out with much the same disdain as the “super league” put forward by European clubs who ignored the interests of their fans in the interest of profit.

It is an arrogant policy. It assumes that such is the power of a club that has forced itself to the head of the premiership, newspapers will be prepared to join an exclusive club within which information will be shared. That information, of course, will be controlled by Rangers. One has to assume that the privileged briefings and interviews will be entirely at the behest of the club’s executives. Independent scrutiny will go out of the window.

This is not only about making money, it is about the power to manage news and ensure that it is positive. For a club that has only just emerged from the mire, this is hubris of a high degree.
Rangers may be enjoying a one-year high, but who is to say it will be maintained? A manager departs, say, the wins drop away, suspicions grow that the bosses are withholding investment in good players. Who is there to probe for the truth, when every reporter is inside the bubble?
The club seems unaware of all this. It argues that as television pays high fees for coverage, so should newspapers. But there is a crucial difference. Coverage of live games on TV is a boost to ratings, which have a commercial value. Newspapers are giving readers an insight into where the club stands. When, for instance, yesterday’s friendly against Real Madrid is reported, there will be no question-and-answer with the manager, no discussion about tactics or team choices. Any comments will have to be gleaned from Rangers TV, controlled by the club itself.
What is depressing is to note the complete lack of comment from the Scottish Professional Football League — the body that governs the national men’s association football league. Its own rules say there must be media access, but it has, so far as I can see, said nothing about all this. If Rangers have their way and some news organisations accept their terms, this will be the thin end of an almighty wedge, with Celtic possibly willing to join in, and then the other powerful clubs signing on.

The club argues that in the era of social media, fans and their organisations have a far wider reach than newspapers. Better by far to restrict access to supporters — that way favourable coverage can be guaranteed. The fans agree. They have a low opinion of the press, which reports bad news as well as the good. That can change, however, and if an independent voice is excluded, who will represent the interests of fans when they demand answers to what has gone wrong?
A good example is the Europa League incident in which the Czech player Ondrej Kudela was accused of racially abusing the Rangers player Glen Kamara. A disputed episode that required good, objective reporting, it would have been, under Rangers’ new terms, confined to a club-controlled statement, with no investigation of the circumstances, or the rebuttal from Kudela. One-sided news is no news at all.

Football is entertainment as well as spectacle. No self-respecting theatre, concert hall or pop venue would consider charging critics for access. Pretty soon the notices would dry up and the audiences dwindle. In England, where clubs would quite fancy charging newspapers, the argument has got nowhere. Nor should it in Scotland.

Rangers would do well to remember an ancient virtue called humility. It is less than ten years since the club was downgraded to the third division, where it lost 1–0 to Stirling Albion, then the bottom club in the country. Success is never guaranteed; a downward spiral can occur in the blink of an eye. Best perhaps to remember that old adage about pride coming before a fall.
A good example of why fans have disdain for the media. A minute of my life I won’t get back.

This has been an exceptional sporting summer: The British Lions’ pulsating victory in South Africa. Adam Peaty heading for gold in Tokyo. Novak Djokovic claiming a record-equalling 20th Grand Slam at Wimbledon. Collin Morikawa winning the Open golf championship on his debut. I would like to add the start of the football season in Scotland. Except there is a sour taste to it.

Last season brought one of the most remarkable resurrections in the history of the Scottish game. Rangers, a club mired for years in financial scandal, insolvency, and a humiliating demotion to the third division, completed their return to the heights of the premiership by winning the title — their first in ten years. Under a brilliant manager, Steven Gerrard, they have turned their fortunes around.

That comeback was reported, daily and in detail, on the back pages of every Scottish newspaper. Not any more. Rangers are proposing that coverage should be paid for. Not a pound or so, but big money. Newspapers will be asked for £25,000 for the privilege of reporting team news. That would allow one reporter and one photographer to attend matches and pre-match press conferences, and buy five exclusive interviews and a sit-down briefing with the manager. For £10,000 they would have access to the club, and one “exclusive” story. The media would be expected to pay for news — a concept that runs counter to the whole concept of freedom of the press. The response from newspapers can best be described as “cool”. One hopes the proposal will be thrown out with much the same disdain as the “super league” put forward by European clubs who ignored the interests of their fans in the interest of profit.

It is an arrogant policy. It assumes that such is the power of a club that has forced itself to the head of the premiership, newspapers will be prepared to join an exclusive club within which information will be shared. That information, of course, will be controlled by Rangers. One has to assume that the privileged briefings and interviews will be entirely at the behest of the club’s executives. Independent scrutiny will go out of the window.

The club argues that in the era of social media, fans and their organisations have a far wider reach than newspapers. Better by far to restrict access to supporters — that way favourable coverage can be guaranteed. The fans agree. They have a low opinion of the press, which reports bad news as well as the good. That can change, however, and if an independent voice is excluded, who will represent the interests of fans when they demand answers to what has gone wrong?

Football is entertainment as well as spectacle. No self-respecting theatre, concert hall or pop venue would consider charging critics for access. Pretty soon the notices would dry up and the audiences dwindle. In England, where clubs would quite fancy charging newspapers, the argument has got nowhere. Nor should it in Scotland.

Rangers would do well to remember an ancient virtue called humility. It is less than ten years since the club was downgraded to the third division, where it lost 1–0 to Stirling Albion, then the bottom club in the country. Success is never guaranteed; a downward spiral can occur in the blink of an eye. Best perhaps to remember that old adage about pride coming before a fall.
REAP WHAT YOU SEW! £30,000 would be better charge for the Rats.

I have to be honest, I don’t disagree in principle with charging the media for access, but it think the fee being suggested is high. It will likely exclude small, challenger media organisations and freelancers (such as Willie Vass) who do genuinely provide good coverage and useful exposure.

But the sheer hypocrisy of the likes of Nuremberg Hugh, Farqhuarson and others in bitching about this is staggering. Especially from News UK journalists who are essentially asking not to pay for something that they themselves charge for.

Sky, like or loath the TV deal, get access to broadcast games and conduct interviews as a result of their payment to the SPFL. The newspapers think they are entitled to the same access for nothing. Not a single penny’s contribution. The fact they can’t recognise their own hypocrisy shows how warped their world view is.

You've got to laugh at him trying to gaslight the reader by implying that the only reason people have a low opinion of the press is because they present bad news as well as good.

Back