Rory Wilson

Hearing a lot about this guy, hope he carries on banging them in!
The futures bright...

Hardie,Rudden and Dallas all scored bundles for the youths, it would be great to have a goalscoring talent making it all the way, we might have to go back as Robert Fleck as the last one.

No might about it, that’s the last. Conversely, just because it hasn’t happened, doesn’t mean it won’t.

We’ve got 3 forwards coming through as various stages about whom hopes are very high.

That's great news.

Nothing better than seeing youngsters working their way through the ranks and into the 1st team.

That's two Hat-Tricks in a week for young Rory. Only 15 year old playing for the U18's.
Lives in the houses behind me I thought he was older than 15.

Just heard he has an older brother,My daughter was best pals with his mum when they were at school.

Last edited:
Hardie,Rudden and Dallas all scored bundles for the youths, it would be great to have a goalscoring talent making it all the way, we might have to go back as Robert Fleck as the last one.

In my lifetime (mid 30s so since the 80s) we have never brought through a youth player that was a decent striker.

Closest is probably Andy Little

In my lifetime (mid 30s so since the 80s) we have never brought through a youth player that was a decent striker.

Closest is probably Andy Little
In different era’s, McSwegan and Spencer would probably have been very serviceable but you’re probably correct.

During the lockdown the boy could be seen kicking the ball about and keeping himself fit on the local park most days.

Any young striker with real promise will be difficult to keep a hold of.
Strikers are the gold dust of football.
However, it is about time one classy emerged in Scotland.
I’d argue that we haven’t been in as good a position for a long, long time to retain our best young talent as we are now with Gerrard in charge.

League winners, a force in Europe, the prospect of CL football ahead and a pathway into the national side for emerging players (Patterson being the most obvious example).

We may have lost Billy Gilmour in the embryonic stages of Gerrard’s reign, but I’d be surprised if comparable talents were so easily lured away now.

I
I’d argue that we haven’t been in as good a position for a long, long time to retain our best young talent as we are now with Gerrard in charge.

League winners, a force in Europe, the prospect of CL football ahead and a pathway into the national side for emerging players (Patterson being the most obvious example).

We may have lost Billy Gilmour in the embryonic stages of Gerrard’s reign, but I’d be surprised if comparable talents were so easily lured away now.
Think you are right that they won't be as easily persuaded but if Chelsea or another like it come calling nobody knocks that back I am afraid. Especially when Chelsea can demonstrate if you are good enough you will be involved with the 1st team.

Don’t worry mate, it’s understandable.

Lyall, Ure and Weston is currently the front three, not sure where Graham fits in when he’s fit though.

Everything goes through Lindsay in the midfield, boys so exciting.
I just love being exited about Rangers! Btw I really wasn’t being a d*ck with my first few posts! I honestly thought he was a striker lol !

I just love being exited about Rangers! Btw I really wasn’t being a d*ck with my first few posts! I honestly thought he was a striker lol !
The academy is probably in the best place it’s been since I was born to be honest.

We are picking up other teams better youths like Graham, Weston, McPake and Lindsay. The coaching seems to focus around preparing them for our system in the first team.

We are getting fees for the players who aren’t good enough, and with Patterson we are showing a genuine pathway if they are good enough.

It’s a really exciting time :)

Our club is run properly top to tail now both on and off the park, i get shivers thinking about the clowns that were around pre 2015.

You can't compare the youths of today to the ones 5-10 years ago. Our youth set up is night and day in comparison. Charlie Lyndsay is a special talent, hopefully he continues to improve in the next few years.
I can see him going on loan I January if he continues his current form in the lowland league teams higher up the pyramid will be enquiring about him. I'd be amazed if Kevin Thomson wasn't interested in taking him to Kelty

Lyall, Ure and Weston is currently the front three, not sure where Graham fits in when he’s fit though.

How good is Weston mate I know there were quite a few teams interested in him when we managed to get him from Blackpool

How good is Weston mate I know there were quite a few teams interested in him when we managed to get him from Blackpool
Impressive so far, really good assist on Saturday and a nice finish against Bo’Ness. Good turn of pace, which is a joy for guys like Lindsay and Lyall to create stuff.

I wonder what will happen when Graham comes back though, he was really highly rated by County and was training with Liverpool.

Exciting times ahead!.

Have you had yer eye on big Tyler from that group mate?

He's been there since 8 yr old along with Zac (can't mind his surname at the moment), I thought both of those had it.

Both played boys club with my kid in the p and D til 10 when they went pro youth. I used to go and watch that group as my kids mate was a pro youth goalie at Rangers at the time.

Have you had yer eye on big Tyler from that group mate?

He's been there since 8 yr old along with Zac (can't mind his surname at the moment), I thought both of those had it.

Both played boys club with my kid in the p and D til 10 when they went pro youth. I used to go and watch that group as my kids mate was a pro youth goalie at Rangers at the time.
Presume you mean Zac Butterworth, and the only Tyler is can think of would be Pasnik but he’s a couple of years younger.

Admittedly I don’t know a lot about them, but Zac left in the summer.

What team in the P&D out of curiosity? :))

Presume you mean Zac Butterworth, and the only Tyler is can think of would be Pasnik but he’s a couple of years younger.

Admittedly I don’t know a lot about them, but Zac left in the summer.

What team in the P&D out of curiosity? :))

Sorry Tyler Pasnik was the one. I saw he was in the u18's and had scored a couple.

Zac was Zac McKay from Greenock. A really powerful player down the right side.

Both are 2005 age group. Zac played with St Andrews from Greenock. Tyler was with Houston. My boy was at Pollok at the time.

They'll be 16 or close to it

Off topic but relevant.

For any young player trying to get thro it at Rangers, or anywhere else for that matter, the commitment given by the boy and their families to try and give them every chance is incredible. It really is.

Sorry Tyler Pasnik was the one. I saw he was in the u18's and had scored a couple.

Zac was Zac McKay from Greenock. A really powerful player down the right side.

Both are 2005 age group. Zac played with St Andrews from Greenock. Tyler was with Houston. My boy was at Pollok at the time.

They'll be 16 or close to it
Tyler signed his first pro deal a few months back!

Andy Little has a better scoring rate than Fleck as a “developed” striker.

In the past many young players who showed early promise were early developers who had the advantage over their contemporaries of power and strength at an early stage. Later that advantage is lost as others eventually develop at a later stage and may even overtake. Not saying every early developer won’t make it, just that they have an advantage at an early stage which doesn’t sustain. The Dutch tend to ignore age and put them in with players of similar development.

In the past many young players who showed early promise were early developers who had the advantage over their contemporaries of power and strength at an early stage. Later that advantage is lost as others eventually develop at a later stage and may even overtake. Not saying every early developer won’t make it, just that they have an advantage at an early stage which doesn’t sustain. The Dutch tend to ignore age and put them in with players of similar development.
That's probably why he's playing at Under 18 level when he's 15

Wilson is 15 presumably playing against 17 or 18 year olds. It’s unlikely he’s just better because he’s more developed - unless he has exceptional physique that would trouble adults.

In different era’s, McSwegan and Spencer would probably have been very serviceable but you’re probably correct.

Spencer is a good shout but he at least had a good career, it just wasn't with us. He was very similar in ability and style to Fleck. I think McSwegan was a level below that.

Not many players could be brought through at a club where you've got McCoist, Hateley and Johnston ahead of you though..

Back