Taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe but we still don’t boo the players. We can respect their feelings and no-one is asking folk in the stands to take a knee just asking them not to boo our players.
I didn’t say we boo the players I would never do that first and foremost I’m just saying its a pointless token gesture that’s never going to change anything time to move on from it.

Is Wednesday friend. Don't want you missing ko on Sat.
The tim result has me losing my bearings.

Seriously though. Come saturday, if some start to boo, tell them to f**k up. For god sake, dont boo them or it will sound worse.

I remember this was all meant to happen when we signed mo johnstone and it came to nothing. A few shut ups will do the trick.

Yep it’s as predictable as the fallout from the George Sq celebrations.

The morons will shame the club yet again!
Not one poster on here has said they're going to boo. As I said, if any do and I doubt many will. Tell them to f**k up. They'll soon get the message.

No point coming on here calling people morons that aren't on here is there.

Yep it’s as predictable as the fallout from the George Sq celebrations.

The morons will shame the club yet again!

This is what’s really annoying me right now, we’re in a position where we’ve a good chance at a treble + making the champions league group stages this year, and some are willing to throw away all the positivity around the club right now by making a big issue out of this - All because they think Joe Aribo is a Marxist

Listen to the arguments for the knee and it's clear the fans are no longer the most important part of Rangers. The politics and identity of the players trump the politics or concerns of the fans. I've seen people argue what rangers fans think of the knee doesn't matter if the players support it?

When the fans are peasants to be preached at by their betters and milked for dough then the soul of the game is being hollowed out. I was listening to an old football biography recently and the player talked about his real love of the crowd, the supporters when he was forced to move. It was a customer is always right mentality...keep the fans happy. Players serve the fans not the other way around.

I can't understand the belief the players are more important than the fans..our current players will come and go. For me the ramming through of the knee is just proof the fans don't matter anymore when players have huge ego's,crazy pay packets and SKY/Europe pay clubs bills.

I'm not denying this, but Britain was finished there as the empire was done. Unfortunately we had to deal with a rightly vengeful people and no, I'm not happy at the way they attacked the hotel. I didnt know a lot about it, but my old man certainly lost respect for them until he seen the later documentaries on the holocaust.
It's a sensitive subject but Britain's involvement in Palestine has nothing to do with the Empire.It came about around 1917 following the collapse of the Ottoman Empire who governed Palestine for the previous 400 years, where Britain was mandated to govern the area by the League of Nations.
We were to facilitate a Jewish "homeland" without disadvantaging the existing population which was 90% Arab.Naturally they were not over enamoured with this idea.
The Jewish terrorist gangs had no right to be vengeful against British soldiers many of whom had just spent 6 years trying to protect them.
I get it why people would be anti Palestine given their terrorists supporting terror groups here but we left a mess in Palestine which our country paid for in later years.

If our players decide to take the knee I’ll support them, I personally think that taking the knee should be for all people and all walks of life who are discriminated against, not just black people. I totally agree why their doing it but nothing will change until societies minds change, and that could take a while. All we can do is give support to all our players, staff and fans from every background. We are Rangers, we welcome everyone and anyone, please support this cause on behalf of not just the club, but the majority of supporters.

The same people screaming about no politics in football are quick to remind us about our ‘traditions’ of being unionist, British and proud. It’s fine to be all those things, it doesn’t make you any less unionist or British or whatever else to stand side by side with the black players who fight against inequality.

This is what’s really annoying me right now, we’re in a position where we’ve a good chance at a treble + making the champions league group stages this year, and some are willing to throw away all the positivity around the club right now by making a big issue out of this - All because they think Joe Aribo is a Marxist

If your there and feel so strongly, tell them to f**k up. It's not hard to do and there wont be many if any doing it anyway.

Back up your beliefs at the game, nothing to do with stupid marxist pish patter.

Here's an idea; why don't we just cheer the Rangers players from the second they run onto the pitch until the second they leave? That's the sort of thing my dad and grandfather did. I see the Union Bears have organised for all fans to assemble at the stadium at 9am to cheer them off the bus. Let's all do that, cheer how much we love them then a few hours later boo the f*ck out of them for making a stand against racist bastards like Kudela.

Last edited:
It's a sensitive subject but Britain's involvement in Palestine has nothing to do with the Empire.It came about around 1917 following the collapse of the Ottoman Empire who governed Palestine for the previous 400 years, where Britain was mandated to govern the area by the League of Nations.
We were to facilitate a Jewish "homeland" without disadvantaging the existing population which was 90% Arab.Naturally they were not over enamoured with this idea.
The Jewish terrorist gangs had no right to be vengeful against British soldiers many of whom had just spent 6 years trying to protect them.
I get it why people would be anti Palestine given their terrorists supporting terror groups here but we left a mess in Palestine which our country paid for in later years.
That's the league of nations for you, hopeless then and just as hopeless now under their new name.

I f**ken know fine well what happened in Palestine. I also know Britain had f**k all left at the end of ww2. That's why mountbatten advised the french generals to speak to the Vietnamese as the empires were over, which they as we all know ignored

My problem with it is how they helped arm the IRA and also train them in the middle east. So I dont want the Rangers crest mixed in with some solidarity with palestine bullshit. The guy on twitter is supposedly a nat anyway, so that makes him a double c**t. Anyone wears anything like that to loyalist areas, I'll give them 5 mins, tops

Listen to the arguments for the knee and it's clear the fans are no longer the most important part of Rangers. The politics and identity of the players trump the politics or concerns of the fans. I've seen people argue what rangers fans think of the knee doesn't matter if the players support it?

When the fans are peasants to be preached at by their betters and milked for dough then the soul of the game is being hollowed out. I was listening to an old football biography recently and the player talked about his real love of the crowd, the supporters when he was forced to move. It was a customer is always right mentality...keep the fans happy. Players serve the fans not the other way around.

I can't understand the belief the players are more important than the fans..our current players will come and go. For me the ramming through of the knee is just proof the fans don't matter anymore when players have huge ego's,crazy pay packets and SKY/Europe pay clubs bills.
No real football fan would boo any player for making a simple gesture against racism. Is this really your argument here? Fans pay money so they can do what they want ? Maybe we should go back to the good old days and let fans throw bananas on the park and make monkey noises ?

This isn't rocket science. Some of the mental gymnastics on show in these threads could win gold medals at the Olympics.

Yes fans are getting more ostracised especially down south but nothing is getting ramned down anyones throat. All you are required to do is keep quiet for 5 seconds and move on.

The mere thought of our club being dragged through the mud for members of our own "support" booing their own team is frightening.

Anyone who boos is a selfish prick who thinks their political views are more important than the feelings of players in the team, and they are definitely not a rangers supporter. No Rangers supporter would ever boo the team that gave us 55 and no rangers supporter would boo our black players who have went through the ringer in regards to racial abuse over the last year - even if you think their gesture is useless or indirectly counterproductive.

The mere thought of our club being dragged through the mud for members of our own "support" booing their own team is frightening.

Anyone who boos is a selfish prick who thinks their political views are more important than the feelings of players in the team, and they are definitely not a rangers supporter. No Rangers supporter would ever boo the team that gave us 55 and no rangers supporter would boo our black players who have went through the ringer in regards to racial abuse over the last year - even if you think their gesture is useless or indirectly counterproductive.
This is it in a nutshell. Hopefully they just sit down with their arms folded pure raging with purple faces. I actually feel sorry for them but the damage they can do to the club with this is not to be underestimated.

Not one poster on here has said they're going to boo. As I said, if any do and I doubt many will. Tell them to f**k up. They'll soon get the message.

No point coming on here calling people morons that aren't on here is there.
Dunno if you were at amy of the friendlies mate, but the booing was loud and very noticeable, especially the Real Madrid game.

We'll f*cking said my friend.

Nobody is asking any supporters to go down on 1 knee.
Just don't boo our players that delivered our most historic title.
We are trying to tie Goldson and Kamara up on new contracts ffs and we have fans booing them for this.

UpStepsTheHammer, Joe Aribo is a Rangers player that’s all, who are some that you mention of being anti whoever ? If that’s true which I’ve never heard before, the so called fans should never be in Ibrox again. And I for one will deal with any of them in my vicinity, obviously in the proper way, by reporting them.

I didn’t say we boo the players I would never do that first and foremost I’m just saying its a pointless token gesture that’s never going to change anything time to move on from it.
Really wish our players come up with something original that gets the point over because every game it’s going to be the same.

UpStepsTheHammer, Joe Aribo is a Rangers player that’s all, who are some that you mention of being anti whoever ? If that’s true which I’ve never heard before, the so called fans should never be in Ibrox again. And I for one will deal with any of them in my vicinity, obviously in the proper way, by reporting them.

The point I’m making is that this will most likely be a hugely positive season for us and by booing it needlessly introduces something negative to the equation. I wasn’t meaning anyone has anything against Aribo or any player in particular.

Here's an idea; why don't we just cheer the Rangers players from the second they run onto the pitch until the second they leave? That's the sort of thing my dad and grandfather did. I see the Union Bears have organised for all fans to assemble at the stadium at 9am to cheer them off the bus. Let's all do that, cheer how much we love them then a few hours later boo the f*ck out of them for making a stand against racist bastards like Kudela.
Far too much sense in this post for the Rangers support.

Stand by the players. Simple.

Really wish our players come up with something original that gets the point over because every game it’s going to be the same.
All our fans have to do Gramps1 is shut up for 10 seconds or however long our players decide, is that too much time to really ask for ? Not in my world it’s not. We condemn Celtic fans for not obeying our minutes silence at New Year, but some people can’t condemn our own supporters booing taking a knee. It’s equally the same as in disrespect.

The kneeling is just another example of the Americanisation of global culture.

People around the world are just desperate to copy Americans they follow on social media.

Seen a good suggestion on Twitter when our players do this to drown out the guys incapable of sitting in silence for 10 seconds.
Sing “One Glen Kamara”.

Brilliant idea this. Those lucky enough to have a ticket please make it happen so we can all enjoy the positivity and good times without having to suffer a load of totally unnecessary and pointless flak thanks to a minority of brain dead imbeciles.

People on here are conflating two distinct things.

Anti-Racism & BLM.

The latter is a radical political organization with a self-described Marxist founder.

Taking the knee is inextricably linked with BLM, and therefore, out of respect for those who do not wish to destroy current society, a different gesture should be devised and knee taking should be replaced.

When people boo, they are booing BLM, which is not surprising, given its aims. I'm not necessarily endorsing booing, but to suggest that those booing are somehow just bigots who don't care about Glenn Kamara is just disingenuous.

It's clear to me that the double association of knee taking with BLM and anti-racism is a strategy to insulate BLM from criticism.

Are there seriously folk intending to boo the players if they take the knee?

Now I don't exactly think the gesture accomplishes anything, but if someone else does then feel free.

I guess folk should also be free to boo if that's how they feel, but they know the agro that will bring to the club, so should really consider that.

Ultimately, they shouldn't be booing the players in the first game back from 55, and anyone doing so needs to take a serious look at themselves.

In saying that though, I doubt anyone daft enough to boo has the brain cells available for self reflection.

Last edited:

Why create such a ridiculous straw-man?

It's been said many times on here, but I'll repeat it again.

Whatever your thoughts on racism, BLM, Marxism, George Floyd, Martin Luther King, taking the knee, all of it: our players wish to mark the beginning of our games with it.

If our 'fans' boo it, it portrays our support as rascist. It will lead to vilification. It may even lead to players and staff deciding to leave.

Booing it will not make them stop. It's not going to be an argument you can win in any way shape or form. But we can all lose.

It's not some heroic counter-culture gesture.
It's respecting the players you are meant to idolise for less than 10 seconds.

People on here are conflating two distinct things.

Anti-Racism & BLM.

The latter is a radical political organization with a self-described Marxist founder.

Taking the knee is inextricably linked with BLM, and therefore, out of respect for those who do not wish to destroy current society, a different gesture should be devised and knee taking should be replaced.

When people boo, they are booing BLM, which is not surprising, given its aims. I'm not necessarily endorsing booing, but to suggest that those booing are somehow just bigots who don't care about Glenn Kamara is just disingenuous.

It's clear to me that the double association of knee taking with BLM and anti-racism is a strategy to insulate BLM from criticism.
We all know this mate but this isn’t why GK and CG take the knee.

I know that but the subject was about taking the knee or not, and my reply was in the context, we should support our players through thick and thin, no matter your background.
I agree with you about that. I don't endorse booing.

My view in a nutshell is that a new way of supporting the players against racism should be devised which isn't associated with BLM, which I do not support, and many do not.

Listen, I didn't like the BLM association the knee had in the beginning. I felt a lot of people involved in football bought into the knee gesture without fully understanding the broader politics behind BLM. I think people supported the message of the blm slogan (as 99% or more of us do, me included), and thought it was just another initiative to combat racism like Show Racism the Red Card etc, but politically fairly neutral. I think a lot then realised the politics of BLM go a lot further than just opposing racist abuse on Twitter or on the street, and that's when some clubs started to back away.

But honestly, as somebody who didn't like it, I think what it represents has changed and become a lot more to do with simply saying that we don't stand for the abuse that Kamara and Roofe received at the hands of Kudela, Slavia, their rat fans, Celt#c fans, Humza Yousaf, and James Dornan. The distance between the gesture and BLM the organisation has grown. I think players have owned the gesture and the message, and they're clearly saying it's about standing against racism, not furthering a broader political agenda.

Do you honestly believe it makes a blind bit of difference, racism has existed for centuries and it'll exist long after we've all popped our clogs.

No, it probably won’t make any difference but if the players (specifically those which racism affects) feel it does make a difference then they shouldn’t be confronted with their own supporters booing them for it, especially when most of those “supporters” are justifying their boos by attaching a political ideology to their act which the players are not even promoting in the first place.

If you don’t like it, or think it’s worthless, it is easier to just sit on yer arse and be quiet for 5 seconds while it’s going on to protect the club and everyone connected with it from the circling vultures waiting for us to give them an open goal. These debates about what works and what doesn’t do not belong in the stands at the football, and there is absolutely no upside whatsoever to booing our own team.

If for example Glen Kamara and Kemar Roofe, two of our players who have experienced a torrent of horrendous abuse and threats over the past year, feel like this eases their mind in any way then it is the job of a Rangers supporter to support those players and make them feel better - even if you personally don’t think what they are doing is helpful. Not boo them and make them feel worse personally or even resent the people in the stands who are supposed to have their back come rain or shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back