Taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without reading the thread my thoughts are taking the knee is ignored now its an empty guestutre eufa did eff all to protect Kamara if the players take the knee ill back them I just think it's a wasted effort unfortunately!

Must be a difficult time being one of the rockets who boo or are unhappy with our players taking the knee. Knowing that Rangers don't want to be associated with you; the players don't want to be associated with you; the vast majority of the support don't want to be associated with you. Basically coming to terms with the fact you're out of time. Sad.

But why are they uncomfortable with it? Are they not aware of the players completely dissassociating it with the BLM movement? Or are people deliberately choosing to ignore it?

Look at Bartleys interview above. There is no ambigueity now. None whatsoever. There is absolutely no other reason to boo it now unless you have an agenda or you are racist.
Bartley’s interview was a complete disgrace. As I have said many black people are against taking the knee. So he’s calling people like Lyle Taylor racist, he was talking nonsense mate.

Yes the players have disassociated their campaign with the BLM movement/organisation and I completely believe them. However gestures can mean different things to different people and a hell of a lot of people find it divisive and offensive.

it’s beyond debate that the taking the knee gesture hasn’t helped matters it’s only caused new arguments. This makes me wonder if the best course of action wouldn’t be choosing a different campaign that everyone apart from genuine racists can unite behind. Surely that is better for everyone?

From your position mate if you can dial it down a bit and start from a point that people with objections aren’t racist until they say something racist then you might get further with convincing people.

Bartley’s interview was a complete disgrace. As I have said many black people are against taking the knee. So he’s calling people like Lyle Taylor racist, he was talking nonsense mate.

Yes the players have disassociated their campaign with the BLM movement/organisation and I completely believe them. However gestures can mean different things to different people and a hell of a lot of people find it divisive and offensive.

it’s beyond debate that the taking the knee gesture hasn’t helped matters it’s only caused new arguments. This makes me wonder if the best course of action wouldn’t be choosing a different campaign that everyone apart from genuine racists can unite behind. Surely that is better for everyone?

From your position mate if you can dial it down a bit and start from a point that people with objections aren’t racist until they say something racist then you might get further with convincing people.
How is it that Bartley actually specified that he was talking about people who boo taking the knee and you're still going out of your way to pretend that he's said anyone who disagrees with taking the knee is racist?

We had a stand shut down by UEFA for racism as well. Incorrectly imo but what do you think UEFA will do if this carries on? Where you at the RM game btw? You could hear it very clearly. I just hope the other bears like me that were embarassed will now turn on them.

If you are still booing despite the players explaining why they are doing it for god knows how many times.. you are a racist. What other reason would you be booing an anti racist gesture?
Wait a minute now.

“We had a stand shut down by UEFA for racism”

Absolutely no we did not. We had a stand shut because of sectarian songs.

I’m now extremely suspicious of you after that comment to be honest.

Despite some utterly warped opposition to taking the knee, it is heartening that at least no one seems to be attempting to defend booing. Hopefully the message will get out before Saturday to drown out these enemies of Rangers.
Warped is the right word. Far too many folk read some casual, right-wing nonsense about BLM and then automatically use this as an excuse to vent their hatred.

is this your way of saying sectarianism is racist from your American base?

careful buddy, you’re wee agenda is seeping through. There’s probably not a person in here who hasn’t sang the Billy boys and I doubt many will consider it a racist act but if that’s your patter….
Apologies. I thought my point was clear to anyone who was following. I'll slow it down for you and your wee buddy above.

The FTP brigade is the element of our fanbase who constantly shoot themselves, and by extension the rest of us, on the foot. They're the guys who'll keep singing the party tunes despite being told it'll damage us and then it results in stadium closures and damage to our brand.

This is the very same element who will boo on Saturday.

PS the term FTP Brigade was coined, I believe, by the Gub in an early edition of FF. Would have thought someone with their finger so close to the pulse of our support would know that.

No he isnt. Is Lyle Tylor booing players who choose to do it?

Its a disgrace? How? He clearly explains it is now an anti racist getsure. Non political. This is now an unequivocal fact for the vast majority of players doing it.

Choose a different campaign? What you mean is one that doesnt offend white folk enough for them to boo their own black players.

This is what people are now booing. It has to stop.

How is it that Bartley actually specified that he was talking about people who boo taking the knee and you're still going out of your way to pretend that he's said anyone who disagrees with taking the knee is racist?
The people who will choose to boo the knee will be doing so because they disagree with it. I really don’t understand what point you thought you were making there mate.

Wait a minute now.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/spor...ed-uefa-close-section-Ibrox-racist-behaviour/

The officail charge was racism. Which I didnt agree with but that was the charge.

Apologies. I thought my point was clear to anyone who was following. I'll slow it down for you and your wee buddy above.

The FTP brigade is the element of our fanbase who constantly shoot themselves, and by extension the rest of us, on the foot. They're the guys who'll keep singing the party tunes despite being told it'll damage us and then it results in stadium closures and damage to our brand.

This is the very same element who will boo on Saturday.

PS the term FTP Brigade was coined, I believe, by the Gub in an early edition of FF. Would have thought someone with their finger so close to the pulse of our support would know that.
By “FTP brigade” I can only take that as a dig at the extreme majority of our match attending support.

I’d consider this majority to be at least 95% of the match attending support that you’re aiming that at.

The people who will choose to boo the knee will be doing so because they disagree with it. I really don’t understand what point you thought you were making there mate.
The point I'm making is that even though Bartley specified he was talking about people who boo, you decided to present his argument as being about anyone who disagrees with taking the knee. So unless you think Lyle Taylor is likely to start booing the people taking the knee I'm not sure what relevance he has to anything that Bartley said.

No he isnt. Is Lyle Tylor booing players who choose to do it?

Its a disgrace? How? He clearly explains it is now an anti racist getsure. Non political. This is now an unequivocal fact for the vast majority of players doing it.

Choose a different campaign? What you mean is one that doesnt offend white folk enough for them to boo their own black players.

This is what people are now booing. It has to stop.

“I took the decision because I felt that enough was enough... not enough people have looked into the organisation that has brough this all to the fore.

“I said before that I agree with the message that black lives do matter and something needs to be done about that to actually teach the message that the racial inequality and the societal injustice needs to stop.

“But by the same token we are hanging our hat on a Marxist group who are... looking to defund the police, they’re looking to use societal unrest and racial unrest to push their own political agenda and that’s not what black people are, we’re not a token gesture or a thing to hang your movement on just because it’s what’s powerful and it’s what’s going on at the moment.”

Taylor added that he feels sorry for white players because they cannot take the knee without being “branded racist”

Black British footballer Lyle Taylor, who in your opinion from what I can tell is a racist apparently.

You can disagree with it but stand respectfully and quietly for those five seconds or whatever it is without making a complete arse of yourself and the club.

It’s a few seconds which isn’t harming anyone and if it makes the players feel better then let them do it. Any grown adult booing it is an absolute weirdo.

The point I'm making is that even though Bartley specified he was talking about people who boo, you decided to present his argument as being about anyone who disagrees with taking the knee. So unless you think Lyle Taylor is likely to start booing the people taking the knee I'm not sure what relevance he has to anything that Bartley said.
I believe that is an extremely pedantic difference. I think it’s clear that Lyle Taylor’s opinions are far closer to the booers than Bartley’s on this.

These things do tend to be a spectrum that people can be on, it’s not a binary case of you are this side or that side.

Hiding behind a card? lol what the fck does that mean?

Did somebody take away their voices so they couldn’t boo during any of these other campaigns?

Naw, they didn’t want to boo cause there was no ambiguity in the politics and no rejection of the message
There is no ambiguity now either. As has been explained umpteen times. Surely you know that by now?

You can disagree with it but stand respectfully and quietly for those five seconds or whatever it is without making a complete arse of yourself and the club.

It’s a few seconds which isn’t harming anyone and if it makes the players feel better then let them do it. Any grown adult booing it is an absolute weirdo.
To be honest I haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet.

I despise the gesture and it’s background but I don’t feel comfortable possibly annoying the players and the obvious optics of it.

I wish the team stuck with their stand against racism they took after Slavia, I felt that was more powerful and unifying.

I do wonder for how long taking the knee continues, what is the end goal that we can achieve to end it.

People don’t believe that their is no link between taking the knee and the Black lives matter movement.
Therein lies the problem that a lot of supporters have with those taking the knee and therefore the easiest way to solve this would be for the players to come out and say that they do not support the aims of the BLM movement and we can move on.
Before people get on the high horse I do not condone the booing of the players taking the knee.
Goldson already did, a year ago when we had this debate after some of our more intellectually challenged gave the lads abuse on Instagram.

Screenshot-20210728-131558.jpg

Screenshot-20210728-131802.jpg

Having to be told once is bad enough.

Well I will state this fact at least 95% of our away support will sing an anti papacy song this coming season. So yeah I take your post as a dig to that high a percentage of our support.
I think he’s obviously referring to the “I’ll sing what I want” crowd regardless of how it negatively affects the club i.e. UEFA fines and stadium closures. It’s a valid comparison because anyone booing our players will drag our name through the mud and it’s hardly the thing we want to be doing it when we’re trying to convince the likes of Goldson and Kamara to sign new contracts.

“I took the decision because I felt that enough was enough... not enough people have looked into the organisation that has brough this all to the fore.

“I said before that I agree with the message that black lives do matter and something needs to be done about that to actually teach the message that the racial inequality and the societal injustice needs to stop.

“But by the same token we are hanging our hat on a Marxist group who are... looking to defund the police, they’re looking to use societal unrest and racial unrest to push their own political agenda and that’s not what black people are, we’re not a token gesture or a thing to hang your movement on just because it’s what’s powerful and it’s what’s going on at the moment.”

Taylor added that he feels sorry for white players because they cannot take the knee without being “branded racist”

Black British footballer Lyle Taylor, who in your opinion from what I can tell is a racist apparently.
This is one guys opinion. Who clearly has a problem with BLM the political movement. The argument has moved on now. Players have explained it over and over again it has NOTHING to do with BLM the political movement now. Does this guys opinion make it ok to boo our players now? Is this your argument?

When was this quote from? Because in the beginning there was ambiguity. Not now though. Plus not every player takes the knee either. Nobody is forced to do it.

"Rangers against racism"
A simple message that could be displayed on all the LED advertising boards prior to kick off. Even put in on our kit somewhere.
Rightly or wrongly the knee is obviously divisive. Worst case scenario is that some idiots start booing and then other idiots boo them for booing.

I think he’s obviously referring to the “I’ll sing what I want” crowd regardless of how it negatively affects the club i.e. UEFA fines and stadium closures. It’s a valid comparison because anyone booing our players will drag our name through the mud and it’s hardly the thing we want to be doing it when we’re trying to convince the likes of Goldson and Kamara to sign new contracts.
I don’t think it’s a fair comparison. There’s plenty who will be attending our games and singing our usual songs who will be vehemently against booing the knee gesture this weekend.

One issue at a time, conflating both with sweeping generalisations isn’t helpful.

I personally don’t think it’s achieving anything.

However, our players want to do it, and have stated numerous times it’s got bugger all to do with the BLM Political movement. So how hard can it be to simply shut the feck up for a few seconds?

Booing our players wishes really is scummy behaviour. Especially right now when we have everything to love about our team and our club.

But we also know we have a good few idiots in our support who just don’t care.

I don’t think it’s a fair comparison. There’s plenty who will be attending our games and singing our usual songs who will be vehemently against booing the knee gesture this weekend.

One issue at a time, conflating both with sweeping generalisations isn’t helpful.
I agree with you that often there will be a lot of fans that sing our usual songs with add-ons but there’s also a lot of people (often the same) who for European matches will tone it down after what happened with the stadium closure. They might not agree with being punished for it but they know it’ll damage the club if they persist with it however there are others that just do not care regardless of how it hurts our reputation.

We’ve just lifted 55 and we’ll be the main event on Sky Sports at lunch time on Saturday. If we kick off that with a chorus of boos for the players that achieved so much for us it’ll be shameful. No one is saying everyone has to get on board with supporting taking the knee but for the sake of the five to ten seconds it takes just stand quietly and support the players.

You didn’t answer my question last night you just ran away and accused another random person of being a racist from your house in America.

Whats wrong with our own anti racist campaigns? Kick it out? Show racism the red card? Stand up to racism? All worthy campaigns with 100% support.

Nobody ever booed them. Nobody ever rejected them, nobody ever rejected the message.
And now you want to lecture that everyone is suddenly racist? Lol so why were there mo boos on literally any other anti racist campaign?

Connor Goldson called it a pointless gesture a few months ago, nobody called him a racist, in fact the whole of Scottish football agreed and ditched the knee in favour of standing, what changed?
Just quickly; the players have been clear to the point of being completely transparent that this is an anti racism gesture and not a BLM reference.

Repeatedly.

People who continue to boo saying 'I don't support BLM so that's why I'm booing' fall into three camps at this point.

1 - Genuinely stupid. Like, to the extent of needing help getting dressed in the morning.
2 - Wilfully obtuse, refusing to back down when they have been shown to be misguided.
3 - A bit racist.

Hate the movement all you want. Heck, hate our players, who gave everything for you last year to deliver 55 and stop the 9.3/4, for making a short protest to highlight inequality.

But can't people behave like reasonable, empathetic human beings for literally five seconds?

I'm not a big fan of religion, but when driving to work in the morning and listening to Radio 2 I don't start booing in my car when the 'Pause For Thought' segment comes on. I understand it isn't for me, but it does me no harm in any way shape or form.

And regardless of what the players thought a few months ago, they clearly now feel it is worthwhile to do so again (if I had to guess, probably the outpouring of rage from middle-aged white guys telling black people what is acceptable as a protest against racism?).

As supporters, maybe we should try supporting them?

A novel concept for some folk on here, certainly.

This is one guys opinion. Who clearly has a problem with BLM the political movement. The argument has moved on now. Players have explained it over and over again it has NOTHING to do with BLM the political movement now. Does this guys opinion make it ok to boo our players now? Is this your argument?

When was this quote from? Because in the beginning there was ambiguity. Not now though. Plus not every player takes the knee either. Nobody is forced to do it.
Mate this thread is proof alone never mind the countless other clubs that have seen boos against the knee gesture that the argument hasn’t moved on one inch, we are in Groundhog Day with this.

The players are free to do as they wish and use whatever gesture they wish for their campaign.

But gestures can mean different things to different people and everyone is entitled to their opinions.

My opinion isn’t worth more than yours or yours to mine, Goldsons opinion when he says it’s a token gesture isn’t worth more than yours or mine.

It's amazing how many folk can't tell the difference between someone taking a personal position not to partake in taking the knee, because they don't agree either that it is an effective tool or they are uncomfortable with its connotations and someone actively booing others in opposition at them taking the knee.

You can respect someone else's right to make a peaceful gesture, which they have clearly and unambiguously stated the intent of or you can decide to vocally discredit and attack it in the moment and not respect their right to it.

Booing is ultimately a right you have, but if you're happy with that, presumably you won't tell dhims who boo minute silences for Remembrance Day that they aren't entitled to do it.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Les Ferdinand...

Almost a year old.

Things have changed for a lot of folk now protesting. Possibly the outpouring of rage from middle-aged white guys telling black people what is acceptable as a protest against racism?

"Rangers against racism"
A simple message that could be displayed on all the LED advertising boards prior to kick off. Even put in on our kit somewhere.
Rightly or wrongly the knee is obviously divisive. Worst case scenario is that some idiots start booing and then other idiots boo them for booing.
Said this on other threads on this subject & it would make more sense to me than persisting with this divisive BLM gesture (stand hand on shoulder, hold a banner etc)
I personally would not boo but I despise taking the knee & if people want to boo it is up to them, it’s not racist.

Almost a year old.

Things have changed for a lot of folk now protesting. Possibly the outpouring of rage from middle-aged white guys telling black people what is acceptable as a protest against racism?
It's the same as people who have latched onto Goldson's quote about it being a token gesture as if that means he was somehow saying yeah you know what this is all just Marxist bollocks isn't it? It seems to me that Goldson's opinion on this couldn't be further removed from theirs.

I don’t understand why we’ve went back to doing it. Our players came out and said it’s a token gesture and basically does no good.

Now here we are back to taking the knee and all the division is causes. Whether it should cause division is an whole other argument.

The players and staff stood as a unit and it was way more powerful I felt.

It’s ran its course and the effect has well and truly worn off.
We've went back to doing it cause the players choose to do it.

It's not about what you feel is most effective, it's about the players.

Mate this thread is proof alone never mind the countless other clubs that have seen boos against the knee gesture that the argument hasn’t moved on one inch, we are in Groundhog Day with this.

The players are free to do as they wish and use whatever gesture they wish for their campaign.

But gestures can mean different things to different people and everyone is entitled to their opinions.

My opinion isn’t worth more than yours or yours to mine, Goldsons opinion when he says it’s a token gesture isn’t worth more than yours or mine.
Your opinion is your opinion. I dont really care tbh. I only care if you were to choose to boo or defend the right of folk to boo. This is the crux of the argument here.

Nobody has a mandate to boo anyone. Thats the end of the debate.

I'm not saying you were going to boo btw but you get my point.

Almost a year old.

To be honest I think a factor in the continuation of the knee gesture for over a year now is the fear of the backlash that would come from mostly white people when any players or clubs stop it.

Imagine the reaction if a white player said the rest of my team are free to continue and I respect their choice but I will no longer kneel. He’d be hung drawn and quartered.

Your opinion is your opinion. I dont really care tbh. I only care if you were to choose to boo or defend the right of folk to boo. This is the crux of the argument here.

Nobody has a mandate to boo anyone. Thats the end of the debate.

I'm not saying you were going to boo btw but you get my point.
On the contrary everyone has the mandate/right to boo whatever they want.

and everyone else has the right to disagree with it and criticise the people who do.

I don’t really fancy an environment where this isn’t the case.

You appear to be the only person on this thread who is trying to weaponise Remembrance Day to bolster your argument.

Which is pretty shítty
I will respectfully disagree here.

It is a perfectly valid comparison.

Every year, we've got threads where people wank themselves into a frenzy about people not wearing poppies on TV, or at matches.

Every time there is a disrupted minutes silence we have threads about it.

We have idiots who are going to boo our own players for an anti-racism gesture, but we're not allowed to compare?

Incidentally, if you are anti-anti-racism, then by default you are pro-racism (not directed at you, just a general observation)

On the contrary everyone has the mandate/right to boo whatever they want.

and everyone else has the right to disagree with it and criticise the people who do.

I don’t really fancy an environment where this isn’t the case.
Hopefully Rangers exercise their mandate to get the people who boo well and truly to f*ck so that they never darken the doors of Ibrox again.

To be honest I think a factor in the continuation of the knee gesture for over a year now is the fear of the backlash that would come from mostly white people when any players or clubs stop it.

Imagine the reaction if a white player said the rest of my team are free to continue and I respect their choice but I will no longer kneel. He’d be hung drawn and quartered.

I'd argue that first point is quite a reach.

As for the second? I'm sure there are white players who harbour similar views to yours. Do you know what they do? Nothing.

They understand it is important to their team mates and that it does no harm.

Hopefully Rangers exercise their mandate to get the people who boo well and truly to f*ck so that they never darken the doors of Ibrox again.
Opinions like that in my opinion are disgusting. Agree with me or get kicked out of Ibrox.

On this topic mate you are in the extreme of your side, you are to your side what the actual racists are to the other.

Wait a minute now.

But thanks to Dave King accepting the charge of racism which was of course clearly bollocks it is now on our record. As much as I despise the scum that run Celtic there is not a chance they would have accepted it without even challenging it.

I'd argue that first point is quite a reach.

As for the second? I'm sure there are white players who harbour similar views to yours. Do you know what they do? Nothing.

They understand it is important to their team mates and that it does no harm.
Yes they do nothing as I will likely do nothing for fear of the backlash towards our club.

Which to be honest is awful, many players are obviously feeling forced to continue something against their believes for fear of being wrongly labelled racist.

I will respectfully disagree here.

It is a perfectly valid comparison.

Every year, we've got threads where people wank themselves into a frenzy about people not wearing poppies on TV, or at matches.

Every time there is a disrupted minutes silence we have threads about it.

We have idiots who are going to boo our own players for an anti-racism gesture, but we're not allowed to compare?

Incidentally, if you are anti-anti-racism, then by default you are pro-racism (not directed at you, just a general observation)
It's absolutely a valid comparison and disputing it just highlights the hypocrisy of these arguments.

But thanks to Dave King accepting the charge of racism which was of course clearly bollocks it is now on our record. As much as I despise the scum that run Celtic there is not a chance they would have accepted it without even challenging it.
Unfortunately when it comes to uefa sectarianism and racism comes under the same charge.

Which doesn’t change that anybody like the poster above who claims we had a section closed for racism is a lying.

Opinions like that in my opinion are disgusting. Agree with me or get kicked out of Ibrox.

On this topic mate you are in the extreme of your side, you are to your side what the actual racists are to the other.
Nope - you're perfectly entitled to disagree with me all you want. There are ways you can disagree with me that don't cause reputational damage to an organisation you claim to support.

And I would certainly hope that I'm as opposed to actual racists as it's possible to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back